Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Videos on specific strategies?  (Read 5770 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Videos on specific strategies?
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »
+1

Hi everybody (hi Dr. Nick!). I love all the videos and streams and whatnot, but I was thinking about videos dealing with specific strategies. What if someone made a series of videos detailing big money, engines, and rushes with a few different examples of the different types of each? The big money video, for example, could show the three best big money enablers in action, and whatever else deserves and honorable mention. Videos could also be made about specific combos. Maybe one video dedicated to masterpiece/feodum, one video on NV/bridge, etc. and maybe even videos about the golden deck.

All the articles are awesome but some people are more visual learners and this way people can build the same decks that are used in the videos and try them out for themselves. I think this could be a very valuable series for beginners and more advanced players as well, and could be used for reference and to supplement the articles. What do you guys think?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Videos on specific strategies?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:51 pm »

Didn't werothegreat have a project like this?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:45:17 pm »

I know he was planning to do videos on specific cards.

I mean, it seems like if you look through some of my games you can find in-practice examples of this kind of thing. That's what I would want to see, or am I missing the point? Would actual games with maybe different commentary suffice for this?

What I would normally do is ask you to make an example video, but I know that's a lot to ask...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:47 pm »

I mean a more organized searchable series of videos. For example, the engine video could cover village/smithy engines, scrying pool engines, draw-to-X engines, in addition to general engine building concepts and cards that speed up the process but aren't immediately obvious (to beginning players at least) like armory or butcher. Maybe an example of when not to build an engine, bilding an engine with or without trashing, incorporating TfB cards, etc. Maybe one short game or half a game against a bot for each example.

There could even be a couple videos for a certain topic. Nothing wrong with that.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »
+1

It's kind of hard to plan out videos like this. I mean, you would need to design the kingdom.  Then you'd presumably have to coordinate with the opponent and choreograph the strategies.  And so much can go wrong with the shuffle luck.  It is just really artificial, since so much of the game is about making the most of what is present and reacting to your shuffle luck and to your opponent.

What could work is if those who make videos retroactively set aside certain games which they felt illustrated a certain technique or strategy, and compiled a list of them.  I mean, a lot of the titles are already sort of like that, but I suppose it could be done somewhat more explicitly.
Well you *do* need a signature...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:20:30 pm »
+1

It's kind of hard to plan out videos like this. I mean, you would need to design the kingdom.  Then you'd presumably have to coordinate with the opponent and choreograph the strategies.  And so much can go wrong with the shuffle luck.  It is just really artificial, since so much of the game is about making the most of what is present and reacting to your shuffle luck and to your opponent.

What could work is if those who make videos retroactively set aside certain games which they felt illustrated a certain technique or strategy, and compiled a list of them.  I mean, a lot of the titles are already sort of like that, but I suppose it could be done somewhat more explicitly.

A bot would do just fine. I'm not talking about analyzing ever detail, that's what every other video is for. As far as designing kingdoms, using a kingdom that's already been played on and that is good example of that certain strategy is easy enough. I don't think anything can be artificial. Even if you sit there and plan out all the cards in the kingdom obsessively, I'm sure we've all seen crazier kingdoms generated randomly. I'm also not talking about pumping these out every day. It doesn't even have to be one person doing all of it. I'd be more than happy to help out in whatever capacity, for what it's worth.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:20:35 pm »

This reminds me what I had planned to do with my Dominion for Beginners video series that I stopped doing. Maybe I should revive this project!?

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »

Soooo... does anybody else have any input on this?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 05:15:25 pm »

How much audience is there really for it?  I mean, it sounds nice, but there's a bit more that goes in to this than just recording games, I think.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »

Well, I have a Dominion channel that I haven't been using a lot yet, so maybe this could be the direction where I'm taking it (first, I'll have to edit and upload the games against Stef though, which has been taking a while because I forgot to record one game and Goko was painfully slow that day which means a lot of work for an incomplete match - not too motivating). It would be pretty nice to cooperate with someone, in order to make videos that could pass as legit Dominion advice instead of just my own opinions. And also because it would force me to actually complete the project.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:20:46 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 05:41:39 pm »

I think there would be a big audience for it. This wouldn't be just for beginners. I would love these videos to be available just for reference and I would watch all of them multiple times. Besides, who cares if there's an audience or not? I would hope videos like these wouldn't be made to garner a large audience instead of focusing on providing solid information that could be posted with articles on the wiki or in their own stickied thread or something.

If there is a reason these videos should not be made besides "it's a lot of work" or "nobody will watch them" (both of which I disagree with) I'd love to have a discussion about it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 05:46:07 pm »

I think there would be a big audience for it. This wouldn't be just for beginners. I would love these videos to be available just for reference and I would watch all of them multiple times. Besides, who cares if there's an audience or not? I would hope videos like these wouldn't be made to garner a large audience instead of focusing on providing solid information that could be posted with articles on the wiki or in their own stickied thread or something.

If there is a reason these videos should not be made besides "it's a lot of work" or "nobody will watch them" (both of which I disagree with) I'd love to have a discussion about it.

Well, you can disagree that it's a lot of work, but as a guy who has made a bunch of videos (though to be fair, also a guy who isn't making any anymore), I'm saying it would be a lot of work. If you don't think it would be a lot of work, then why don't you do it?

As for "Nobody will watch them" - I really don't know. I don't think there is a big audience right now, mostly because the people who are going to hear about it mostly already know this stuff. But I dunno, maybe there is. On the other hand, I don't like making things if there is NO audience. How big is big enough is down to the person making it, but generally you don't make and put out videos if you don't think anyone would watch.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »

Well, you can disagree that it's a lot of work, but as a guy who has made a bunch of videos (though to be fair, also a guy who isn't making any anymore), I'm saying it would be a lot of work. If you don't think it would be a lot of work, then why don't you do it?

As for "Nobody will watch them" - I really don't know. I don't think there is a big audience right now, mostly because the people who are going to hear about it mostly already know this stuff. But I dunno, maybe there is. On the other hand, I don't like making things if there is NO audience. How big is big enough is down to the person making it, but generally you don't make and put out videos if you don't think anyone would watch.

I'd willing to put in the work and make the videos myself if I felt like I had enough of a handle on Dominion to present these ideas in a complete form. But I don't feel that way. I would, however, be willing to work behind the scenes on stuff such as writing outlines, suggesting kingdoms, or whatever else is needed to prepare the videos to be published. And again, nobody said one person has to make these videos. I don't see what's wrong with a bunch of people working together to achieve a more balanced and informative product. There could even be a thread on what should be included in a certain video while it's being made.

I view these videos as more of a reference series. Videos that would be watched by new players who are just learning but also more experienced players who need to look up specific information to better their playing. I don't know how many people would watch it but I would think if you put them up and link them in an accessible place (wiki, forums, etc.) they would steadily be watched and rewatched.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:05:58 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »
+3

Well, there's this video which discusses two specific cards.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.