Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bill Gates challenge.  (Read 4004 times)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Bill Gates challenge.
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:42 am »
+1

As KC-bridge and merchant ship combos are well known kings meet and decided its time for something different. They want to know which one of them is richest.

In single turn earn highest number of coins possible without using coin tokens, subtract 4 coins for each turn you take (including outpost/possession turns).

To avoid tedious overbuilding of engine you cannot have more than 12 copies of each treasure.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Gates challenge.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:04:19 pm »

Wait, I can use Possession and Outpost turns for just a -4 penalty?

Pretty sure that let's you go infinite.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »

The challenge is "coins generated in a single turn", which does have a hard limit, and he's giving you a penalty based on how many turns you take to get there.

As with pretty much every Dominion puzzle, I'm pretty sure that the solution is a transformation of this.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »
+3

Without the treasure limit, here is a lower bound of 35047 - 4 * 42: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9994.msg325533#msg325533

I'm quite sure that in a solo challenge the asked maximum exists / is finite. You need opponents to increase the value of Pirate Ship. Still, you should be able to reach at least 50.000 even with the treasure limit. Not sure whether you want to focus on actions: discard with Vault, Storeroom, Secret Chamber and then draw deck with Scrying Pool + Madman for ~$500 each time, or on treasures: play Black Market, all treasures, gain Mandarin with Horn of Plenty, draw deck with Madman. This should give you at least $2000 each time (include bank, some other kingdom treasures, and play coppersmith a lot, maybe diadem is useful), but the limit on treasures really hurts here. Probably you want to do both, but maybe the kingdom slots for vault/storeroom/sc are better used as kingdom treasures (to boost bank).

See also:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4374.0

As with pretty much every Dominion puzzle, I'm pretty sure that the solution is a transformation of this.
It depends what you mean with "transformation". But I think the solution is totally different: you don't need to be fast (4 coins per turn is nothing), you want to have a completely different kingdom (probably only Black Market, Procession and King's Court in common with it), you want to use completely different tricks (as I mentioned above). I do not want to undersell CC's solution, it's awesome, but saying that every puzzle is similar to that one (at least, I assume that's what you mean) is not true.

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:35:30 pm »

Infinite. I play 5 pirate ships each turn, and my opponent gets 5 treasures back each turn through rouge. The minimum for the amount of treasure loss per turn would have to be much higher, at least around 30.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:48:35 pm »

The challenge is "coins generated in a single turn", which does have a hard limit, and he's giving you a penalty based on how many turns you take to get there.

I don't know all the cards, and I'm not being snarky, but I'm really confused:  How many turns would it take to get to a single turn?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »

On your first turn you can't get more than $6.  On later turns you can produce more money, so the intention was to force people to find a balance between the amount of money they produce and the length of time it takes to set up.

Infinite. I play 5 pirate ships each turn, and my opponent gets 5 treasures back each turn through rouge. The minimum for the amount of treasure loss per turn would have to be much higher, at least around 30.

The idea with the solo challenges was that you actually carry them out in one of the simulators, in a single player game.  In any case, there aren't supposed to be any opponents.

There were also two player challenges mind...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:10:24 pm »

I started to try this, but got bored quickly of clicking to discard so much. My guess is that the answer is a only bit over 1000, because of the treasure restriction.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:25 pm »

Nec-nec-necro!!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.