Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: GokoDom III: Round 5 Discussion Thread  (Read 34439 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
GokoDom III: Round 5 Discussion Thread
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:02:41 am »
+2

Please post your games here.  Discuss.  Analyze!  And so forth.

GAME TO WATCH:  Stef vs. Marin.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom III: Round 5 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:58:29 pm »
+5

Egork and I got our match finished right away, so here are the games.

Gamw 1: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140324/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1395695304148.txt

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Moat, Loan, Horse Traders, Procession, Quarry, Mandarin, Pillage, Tribute, Grand Market
We both have the same idea here: Use Loan for trashing and Get GMs. We both pair our Loans with Horse Traders. There's an argument for Quarry, I'm sure, but I really hate pairing Loan with another Treasure. We both decide to pick up the Quarry later. Things go terribly for me and great for him. His Loan just really efficiently gets rid of his Coppers, whereas mine misses the Turn 5 shuffle and never quite recovers. Losing the GM split is pretty huge here, and my foray into Procession never really has a prayer.

Game 2: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140324/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1395695674339.txt

Develop, Forager, Loan, Trade Route, Trader, Count, Mint, Soothsayer, Tactician, Upgrade
Just sort of the opposite of the first game, I get significantly better luck executing essentially the same strategy. Not much to say about this one. Its probably possible to play it differently than I did, but Foragers and Soothsayer with a single Tactician was good enough.

Game 3: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140324/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1395697145423.txt

Chapel, Haven, Vagrant, Forager, Lookout, Salvager, Golem, Tribute, Border Village, Nobles
Tense, tense game. I'm not so sure about my strategy here. Initially I am thinking to really use the Vagrant-Nobles interaction and probably get Golem. But when I draw $3P with Salvager I decide I dont need the Golem after all, and jettison it for other stuff. I feel like I have a big leg up on my opponent, but he smartly pursues Tribute, which is a card I just never pay any attention to at all. It's really strong against me, though, and he has much more stable draw. His money is a little uneven though, and we get into this kind of standoff where we could both Double Province if we drew dream hands, so we are both reluctant to buy the penultimate penultimate Province, for fear of a double after that. Salvager and Border Village are creating a lot of analysis paralysis, too. Eventually I Salvage a Gold so that I can buy Border Village, pick up Duchy, and buy another Salvager. In the end, I can Salvage a Province, Salvage a Duchy, buy two Provinces and an Estate to win by a point (after thinking about it for 10 minutes).

Game 4: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140324/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1395698270140.txt

Beggar, Death Cart, Gardens, Pirate Ship, Counterfeit, Market, Mystic, Tactician, Adventurer, Border Village
This was my favorite game. We pursued wildly different strategies here. He wants to do a big, big time Pirate Ship Double Tactician deck. I don't believe in Pirate Ship, ever, and I know Beggar/Gardens is extremely strong, so I go for that. In a sense, my strategy helps Egork execute his strategy, because he can really reliably hit Coppers to up his ships (and does indeed get them to $7 pretty quickly). But with so many Beggars, it's not really going to hurt my deck size, and it actually helps me resolve Beggar collision, because I can discard one, gain two Silvers, lose one to his Ship, and then play my other Beggar on my turn. Since I know he isn't interested in Gardens, I build more than I would in the mirror, taking a couple Markets that really help me get Gardens + Beggar on subsequent turns.

My post-Gardens moves are pretty cool. I can play Beggar, buy Border Village, gain Deathcart, gain 2 Ruins... for a net gain of 7 cards per turn!

He is really going off at this point though. With a big hand and ample villages, he can play lots of Ships for lots of money and pile drive the Provinces fairly effectively.

Once the Ruins are out my best chance is to drain Beggars, so on an off hand I buy a single Border Village-Beggar to set myself up for the win next turn. He needs a lot of points to catch me, though it is possible if he has a really good draw off his Tactician. What I should have known was that I had Markets coming up, and would likely have been able to double Beggar anyway, making Border Village-Duchy a much better play. In any case, he doesn't get it and I win. Very exciting game. I do feel like it was close, and though I have a lot of faith in my strategy and zero in Pirate Ship, it's conceivable to me that I could be wrong here.

Thanks for the games!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:28:35 pm »
+3

Egork and I got our match finished right away, so here are the games.
Game 1: Horse Traders vs Quarry off the top is an interesting call. I'm pretty sure it's Horse Traders, but the thing that stops me from being sure is... Mandarin. Quarry+loan+copper into Mandarin is tasty, and Mandarin sticking back coppers for loan to nail is pretty nice, too. I still lean toward HT, but it's not entirely clear. Certainly you get Quarry after the first HT. Anyway, I was thinking, your strategy seems pretty slow/weak, but when I look for things against it... the best BM is probably Pillage-based (with timely Mandarins and GMs if you somehow hit 6-7 without copper), and that is dreadful against HT. So yeah, not a lot to say.

Game 2: Gosh, I really hate Soothsayer. But again, is there a lot else to do? I think here I go for a tactician into mint, forager to clean up, and try to skip Soothsayer. Quite possibly this is wrong, but particularly with fairly good trashing (upgrade, forager), I don't like giving them free cards, especially 'cause the curses don't hurt too badly.

Game 3: I was pretty enthusiastic about BM, with tribute really countering Nobles that the engine wants. Then I saw chapel, and it's really a no-go (though probably forager is enough anyway). Don't see much need for Golem, particularly with the forced trash cards and the engine is there without it, and again, not a lot to say. Though I think the word you're looking for is "antepenultimate" :)

Game 4: Yeah, so this one is interesting. Your opponent makes some mistakes. Mainly he gets too many pirate ships too soon. He needs to get a draw engine set up better first (mostly this means clearing more copper, quite possibly a second counterfeit), then getting a market or two, because he's going to want +buy more. *Then* get pirate ships and play them out the wazoo. He has lots of time. And you reacting Beggar actually gives him a sure hit, interestingly enough. Not that that is a huge deal. Uh, yeah, I don't know if that is going to beat you, but I feel like it has a decent shot. Looks like a fun one to play.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:27 pm »

Game 1 is one of the few kingdoms I'd consider opening loan/loan.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:50:40 am »
+1

Stef or Marin: are you going to stream the match? please, please, please, say yes (I've been praying not to be paired with either the last couple of days - I did not look my actual pairing yet, so please, do not take this as an offense).

Also in the 7 group, lespeutere vs AI is not a bad match to watch either.

PitrPicko

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:31 am »
+1

Pitr"I don't know how to play wharf"Picko vs. Breezy D "the rats lover"

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1395738340739.txt
Embargo, Bridge, Procession, Wandering Minstrel, Baker, Count, Haggler, Market, Rogue, Wharf

I went here for some medicore trashing and flexibility via count, but Breezy's way with heavy drawing was better. WM really helps here since it is filtering those coppers and estates for Breezy. I try to get few bridges early and hope for some miracle turn, but that don't happen and Breezy easily threepile and goes for win
0-1

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1395738931022.txt
Fortune Teller, Great Hall, Oasis, Gardens, Militia, Salvager, Counting House, Festival, Highway, Wharf

I'm opening Militia/Osasis thinking about better cards flow than Militia/Silver, but Breezy opens wharf/- and then just going for festival/wharf. I probably didn't bought enough wharfs, or I really don't know what was happening, and maybe just got bit unlucky connecting my pieces. However Breezy buys some highways and then finishes me off.
0-2

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1395740074753.txt
Squire, Stonemason, Masquerade, Urchin, Worker's Village, Harvest, Inn, Jester, Mystic, Witch

Breezy tries some Squire shenanigans where I stay with more traditional village+draw(Masq/Witch). However urchin was a nice touch from his side. I manage to get some witch advantage and even though Masq can reduce curse effect it is still no good. Noticable is passing stonemason as worse than copper card. Also I managed to sneak in a gold which made huge effect and tried harvest as nice source of money. The most important turn was T11 where I overpay stonemason and get witch and inn to topdeck WV(x3),Witch(x4), Breezy reduces effect with urchin and masquarade but still gets 4 curses which is just too much to bare. Breezy tries get some duchies, however no results came from this and I just walked for victory
1-2

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1395740453065.txt
Fool's Gold, Squire, Warehouse, Workshop, Rats, Silk Road, Taxman, Cartographer, Mystic, Goons

This board screems on me SILKROADS! with buys and gains it should be the right way, and buys for FG, that would be a nice addition :). Breeze tries Rats (with no trashing on board) synergy with Squire, to get Goons ASAP. But before he manages to connect them I have already 7 FGs in my deck and I'm able to buy goons myself, then buy double silkroads and then just buying/gaining them (winning split 7-1) and after that some duchies/estates and Breezy is just too flooded with rats to hope for some comeback.
2-2

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1395741308203.txt
Duchess, Squire, Storeroom, Alchemist, Fortress, Rats, Bazaar, Catacombs, Cultist, Torturer

Again rats/squire for Breezy where I go for Fortress/Torturer. I'm interested what would f.ds do here, if cultist chain would be better either for me or for Breezy after trashing squire with rats... Anyway game want, Breezy made a mistake T19 which could cost him a victory (but we are just humans,right?), and I finally threepile this in T23 with a few points lead.
3-2

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1395741900863.txt
Crossroads, Pirate Ship, Tournament, Catacombs, Embassy, Explorer, Inn, Saboteur, Treasury, Upgrade

Tournament game but instead for early provinces we go for some deckthining with upgrade. I had better economy but Breezy peaked for first province. Luckily for me he wasn't able to connect it with tournament until we had 3-3 provinces where my economy come handy. T14 Breezy triple tournament for (Followers, Trusty Steed and BoG) leaving princess for me which, as last turn (T17) showed was lethal. Princess allowed me to buy province, upgrade tournament into duchy and get free estate and win by one point (but draw would be sufficient for me)
4-2

Thanks for games, it was lovely, I've learned that I don't know how to play Wharf and also that rats may be resonable even without trashing (I just don't know if it is good enough). And good luck in next rounds ;)

PitrPicko

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:29:12 am »

I think main drawback of loan/loan is that there could be danger of not hitting $4 reasonably soon. But loan/HT/loan is good for me if you hit $3 after reshuffle.

Have you, Robz or or Egork thought about procession? If it connects with HT it ensures GM, and then you can get Mandarin or Pillage or even Tribute and if it connects with procession once again it grants double GM, gain one+attack+2spoils, gives 1-2 GMs. Surely it depends on shuffle luck...

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:32:54 am »

I think main drawback of loan/loan is that there could be danger of not hitting $4 reasonably soon. But loan/HT/loan is good for me if you hit $3 after reshuffle.

You will definitely hit $4 (or more) in T3 or T4. You have 9 cards worth $1, two of which could get trashed. You have 3 Estates, but you will still draw at least 7 of the worth $1 cards in T3/T4.

In any case, HT is not THAT important for me, trashing Copper is more important, and the faster you do it, the faster you can add Quarry and chain all your GMs.

Have you, Robz or or Egork thought about procession? If it connects with HT it ensures GM, and then you can get Mandarin or Pillage or even Tribute and if it connects with procession once again it grants double GM, gain one+attack+2spoils, gives 1-2 GMs. Surely it depends on shuffle luck...

I agree, Procession does seem nice, but it is hard to time when to add it to your deck.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:34:03 am by soulnet »

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:30 pm »
+3

My games against SheCantSayNo:

game 1:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395785778131.txt

Chapel, Duchess, Embargo, Oracle, Marauder, Remake, Baker, Junk Dealer, Grand Market, Nobles
The Plan is clear: Chapel down to a slim deck and then get GM's for your engine. Baker is on the Board.
I have the fortunate 5/2 start and decide to gamble a bit to get to GM earlier to make up for his first player advantage.
So i open Gold/Chapel. He opens Junk Dealer Chapel. I would have liked to find out which of those is the better opening here,
but the game is already determined when my Chapel misses the reshuffle. It snowballs from here on. SCSN wins.

game 2:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395786728312.txt

Ambassador, Sage, Village, Philosopher's Stone, Bishop, Bridge, Nomad Camp, Wandering Minstrel, Stables, Wharf
I go first here. Again the way to go is very clear: Try to win the Ambassador war and then transition into an Bridge engine with stables and Wharf as draw and Minstrels and Villages. Short strory, i win the Ambassador war and even though he gets 3 Wharfs before i get one the game is already decided. I build the engine and win on 3 piles.

game 3:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395787317571.txt

Forager, Menagerie, Ironmonger, Salvager, Bandit Camp, Mountebank, Stables, Torturer, Adventurer, Forge
I am first again. Mountebank dominates this board. Even though there is good trashing in Forager Mountebanks junking is just too fast. We both open 5/2 Mountebank/- . I hit 5 again on turn 4. and get a second Mountebank while SCSN doesnt hit 5 and goes 2 Foragers from here. From now on my lead grows steadily and i hit 5 much more then he does and get 3 stables. I never drop my lead and win the Curse-split convincingly. I start to build a stable engine with Stables Ironmongers and menagery  and get 2 Provinces beside that. He resigns on turn 16.

game 4:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395788688879.txt

Ambassador, Oasis, Trade Route, Marauder, Wandering Minstrel, Haggler, Horn of Plenty, Stables, Vault, Possession
Again, this game is determined by the Ambassador war. SCSN is first player and we both open Ambassador/Wandering Minstrel.
We are quite even for a long time, but SCSN gets a small lead afterwards. I am already a few cards behind when i do a big mistake and trigger an unwanted reshuffle that takes me another turn behind in the war. From there it snowballs and he pins me down adding a Marauder when his deck is thin enough that really hurts my minstrel cycling and i can never catch up again.
I think i had already lost before i did my big mistake, but that mistake certainly sealed the deal. SCSN wins.

game 5:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395789367988.txt

Vineyard, Duchess, Armory, Island, Noble Brigand, Harvest, Mine, Fairgrounds, Forge, Peddler
This now is the most interesting game of this series. To me the board screams Vinyards. I open Armory/Silver, he opens Island/Silver. He starts to go for a Big Money-Fairgrounds/Province mixed strategy, then realizes what i'm doing and starts to contest the Vinyards getting one Armory when i already started on the Vinyards and later Potion(s). His deck goes surprisingly well he gets 3 Provinces 3 (6-point) Fairgrounds and 2 Vinyards. If i were only able to win the Vinyard split 5/3 i would have lost this game for sure, so i think his Province on $8P was a mistake. It gets really  close when Islands and Vinyards are out and Duchesses get low. I realize too late that we are playing with point counter (we did that only in the games SCSN was 1st player)
and so i didn't track the number of action cards in my deck. On my last turn only one Duchess is left and i have the feeling it's very close pointswise. The point counter tells me i'm 5 points behind. I try to count manually how many action cards i have and am about 50% sure the duchess kicks me over the needed mark. But as he only needs to buy one duchess to end the game himself i have no choice but to take the last duchess. I win by 1 point. He would probably have won if he didn't take the second-to-last duchess the turn before.

game 6:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140325/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395789861169.txt

Poor House, Pearl Diver, Tunnel, Urchin, Baron, Conspirator, Feodum, Cultist, Harvest, Vault
The last game and the second interesting board of this series. I can see 3 strong strategies: Double urchin into Conspirator chain,
Mass-Cultist-BM and Vault-Tunnel. As the urchin plan can deal with the ruins pretty well and hurts the Vault strategy quite a bit through reduced handsizes (even though it can activate his tunnels) i decide to go for that and open double urchin. He opens double Silver and goes into Cultists. I get lucky and can connect the urchins on the first shuffle. I get more urchins and then Conspirators, and he takes a tunnel as defence. He gets hit by a few Mercenary attacks my deck comes together pretty fast. He resigns. Sure, my early connection was very fortunate, but i think my strategy will still beat the Cultist strategy pretty handily. I would be interested how the conspirator chain would have matched up against Vault tunnel, as without sifting i would have stalled on greening relatively fast, and as V/T can activale its tunnels it can also get Provinces with 3 and 4 card start hands, stalling less on green later on.

Thank you for the games, SCSN. Even though especially the first 4 were not really exiting.
Good luck in the following rounds.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:57:06 pm by MarkowKette »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:43 pm »
+2

I start to build a stable engine with Stables Ironmongers and menagery  and get 2 Provinces beside that.
heh...stable engine...with Stables...heh
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:54 pm »

mail-mi vs. LCS213

game 1: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140325/log.516d1bece4b082c74d7ae7e9.1395799652832.txt

Vineyard, Cellar, Crossroads, Lighthouse, Menagerie, Shanty Town, Salvager, Knights, Mountebank, Hunting Grounds
I thought about Vineyards, with a lot of $2 non-terminals, but the only buy was Salvager, so I decided not to go for it. We both get Mountebanks, but not many curses are handed out because Lighthouse. He take the lead early, and it gets very close in the end, but on my last turn, I'm able to Salvage a Hunting Grounds, grab a duchy, then buy the last province and an estate for the win.

mail-mi 1, LCS213 0

game 2: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140325/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1395800449098.txt

Duchess, Oasis, Steward, Death Cart, Feodum, Ironworks, Young Witch, Hunting Party, Soothsayer, Stables, Peddler
I open steward/ironworks, and he opens steward/death cart. I really think DC is the wrong choice here. I grab a Young Witch, he grabs a Soothsayer, but he only gets to play his once. I build a pretty stable Hunting Party/Stables/Oasis engine, and he grabs an ironworks and hits the feodums as a last-ditch effort. Well, near the end, I see that when he gains a feodum, his score didn't go up--he only had 2 silvers! On his last turn he buys one, boosting himself up 5 points, but ultimately I crush him.

mail-mi 2, LCS213 0

game 3: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140325/log.516d1bece4b082c74d7ae7e9.1395801635803.txt

Hamlet, Masterpiece, Wandering Minstrel, Apprentice, City, Counting House, Cultist, Inn, Tactician, Hunting Grounds
This board screams engine. We both first go for cultist, and we split the Ruins pretty evenly. I realize that City will be +2 cards because the ruins will be gone fast, but he gets Hunting Grounds and the first Apprentice, and after getting the first 2 provinces, I can't beat his lead. He beats me pretty soundly.

mail-mi 2, LCS213 1

game 4: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140325/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1395802620567.txt

Pearl Diver, Oracle, Sage, JackOfAllTrades, Treasure Map, Bazaar, Cartographer, Graverobber, Merchant Ship, Mint
He opens mint--and the game is lost to him right there. I build a nice little BM-engine hybrid with Jack, Bazaar, Cartographer, and I also grab a couple of mints for copper trashing. He manages to get connected TMs, but by then I have a couple graverobbers and I'm graverobbering my mints into provinces and getting them back, buying provinces every other turn, and I win handily

mail-mi 3, LCS213 1

mail-mi wins!

(P.S. how do I do the whole card-image thing?--thanks AdamH!)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:36:12 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:40 am »
+1

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

matste

• Scout
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:43:04 am »
+2

matste vs noobify:
Game 1:

Masterpiece, Shanty Town, Philosopher's Stone, JackOfAllTrades, Counting House, Horn of Plenty, Saboteur, Treasury, Harem, Nobleshttp://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.517265f6e4b054fd071e3c90.1395813773167.txt
We both go for a Double Jack game plus Masterpieces to gain even more Silvers. While my first Jack misses the shuffle, noobify manages to pull out a mini trick of Schanty Town + Jack. That makes me feel pretty unlucky and I am preparing myself for a loss. Luckily, in the endgame he gets two horrible sevens and I win. If at the turn 8 he had bought a Harem instead of his third Masterpiece, at least one of those sevens would have been avoided. But ultimately, luck was the deciding factor in this game.

Game 2:

Market Square, Masquerade, Tunnel, Feast, Talisman, Duke, Haggler, Horn of Plenty, Market, Altarhttp://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.517265f6e4b054fd071e3c90.1395814308908.txt

My plan is to get a minimum economy with Masquerade+Market Square and then to go heavily into Duchy/Duke. There's Altar and Feast to support this strategy. His plan seems to be massive Gold gaining with multiple Market Squares. During the game he buys 8 Market Squares, but he reveals them 6 times only. I don't like this strategy at all, because there's nothing special he could have done with his Golds, even if he had been more lucky with the reactions. When I win the Duchy split 5/3, the game is basically over.

Game 3:

Oasis, Oracle, Sage, Scheme, Feodum, Pirate Ship, Young Witch, Duke, Explorer, Journeyman, Merchant ShipOasis is the Bane.
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140325/log.517265f6e4b054fd071e3c90.1395815276983.txt

Another Duke game. This time Young Witch makes it is a slog, so it's more obvious that Duchy/Duke is the way to go. Scheme is a very important card here for tactical tricks. We both open YW/Bane. On 5$ I buy an Explorer, he chooses a Merchant Ship. My reasoning is that the extra Silvers will be usefull if in the engame I am forced to buy Feoda. Also, I'm planning to spend most of my 3$ on Oases, so there will be no time to pump my economy up in other way.  During the game I buy more Oases and use Scheme to put the banes back. My defence is so strong, that when he Schemes his Young Witch, it doesn't hurt me at all. I am confident about my win in the curse war and start picking up Duchies.  At turn 15 my opponent buys a Province instead of a Duchy, which is a big mistake. I win the Duchy split 5/3 and Curses 5/2.

Thanks for the games. This is my first real win in this tournament.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:19:18 am by matste »

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:57 am »
+2

Here are the Videos of my match with HarryPeteur.

game1

game2

game3

game4

Thanks for the games and good luck in the nxt match Harry

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 02:33:47 pm »
+1

markusin 4-2 Watno

Finally got the videos up.

Game 1:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.5080bad60cf2ab2c11d065ce.1395849501171.txt

This would have been a really nice board for Vineyard, except Tactician was the only source of +buy, and it's a tricky decision as to whether you want to play Tactician and discard Potion or just buy Vineyard. We both went for the same strategy: Double Tactician with Steward for coin. There were plenty of Villages to make this possible. However, one must forgo buying a Vineyard in order to play a Tactician while buying a Province. I Bought Province/Vineyard with my tac turns at every opportunity.

Sadly, Watno disconnected. He was kind enough to grant me the win, though looking at the log now it seemed pretty even except for the fact that I had first player advantage.

markusin 1-0 Watno

Game 2:
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140326/log.5080bad60cf2ab2c11d065ce.1395851621697.txt

Yeah Cultist was on the board. Sucks right? Well not quite, as this game had Fairgrounds. I won the ruins split 7-3, but my opponent ended up with all 5 types of ruins in his deck. That plus his emphasis on Silvers that I didn't share made this one pretty close. By the end, Watno had 8VP Fairgrounds. It didn't matter much though, as he still would have won with 6VP Fairgrounds.

markusin 1-1 Watno

Game 3:
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140326/log.5080bad60cf2ab2c11d065ce.1395852266097.txt

Forge, Fortress, Conspirator, and Watchtower to boot? That's already pretty great, and my opponent went straight for that, eventually trashing Fortresses into Provinces with Forge. I had the same idea, but hitting 5/2 on both shuffles complicated things. I opened Smithy, hoping I would be able to at least buy Forge as fast as I can and having a card that can increase my handsize for Forge can trash more cards.

markusin 1-2 Watno

Game 4:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.5080bad60cf2ab2c11d065ce.1395852939388.txt

Not much stands out here besides IGG and Mountebank, but Trader, the bane of both, was present. Masterpiece, the other slog defender, was present too. I was kinda happy that Feodum wasn't around as well.

We both opened Trader/Silver, but I got lucky Trader/Estate Collisions while my opponent's Trader landed on turn 5. My opponent gets a lot more Traders that I did to compensate. I was hoping to rely on Masterpiece for extra Silver if I needed it. At the same time, I got a Salvager, hoping to rush the game end if I got ahead. My lack of Traders allowed my opponent to Gain IGGs to curse me with low chances of backfiring. I made sure to take an extra Masterpiece overpay turn because of that. shark_bait would be proud.

markusin 2-2 Watno

Game 5:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.5080bad60cf2ab2c11d065ce.1395854376164.txt

This was a Colony game, and it felt like the kingdom wanted Colonies. We both got Merchant ships and Quarries hoping to get Grand Markets. I took the opportunity to get some early Expands for that purpose, while my opponent got more Quarries. We end up splitting the Grand Markets 5-5. That's cool. My opponent got some Platinum and lots of Havens, but I still had my 2 Expands. It was close at the end.

markusin 3-2 Watno

Game 6:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.5080bad60cf2ab2c11d065ce.1395855106257.txt

This game was tense in its own way. We both open Oracle/Silver. I was hoping to get Trading Post as fast as possible, and indeed I get one on turn 3, but do so over getting Gold. I'm not sure if this was the correct play here, as Trading Post can get in the way of Oracle draw. You can see that my opponent could afford way more Oracles in his deck because he got Gold instead of Oracle. I Manage to be ahead in VP when the Duchies run out, but the presence of Saboteur made things scary. Sab could have trashed a Province and you can't even take Duchy with it. Luckily for me, I got the last Province for the win before Sab could do real damage.

Thank you Watno for the fun games. It's just a shame that you had to put up with disconnects.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:12:47 pm by markusin »

bama

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

secret tunnel

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 06:26:24 pm »

secret tunnel defeats hdu88, 3-1.

Game 1. This was the strangest game of the match. We both went for King's Court with Cutpurse, but with no buys, I think that's probably a mistake all around. I change course before my opponent does, and end up with seven Duchies before scooping up the Dukes. It was a super swingy game, though, with KC-Cutpurses ruining huge hands like KC-KC-Stables-Copper-Copper. I win 68-47.

Game 2: A very close game, with Watchtower, Black Market, and Warehouse playing central roles. The only villages are in the BM deck. In the end, hdu88 nicely accelerates the endgame by Butchering the penultimate Province and wins 24-19.

Game 3: I'm able to open Rebuild/Candlestick Maker; hdu88 tries to keep up Festivals and Wharfs from overpayed Stonemasons, but I'm just way too fast; he manages double Province in turn 14, but I already have four by then. My 5/2 is a pretty big advantage here, I think, but I don't think he can afford not to contest Rebuild. I win 40-15.

Game 4: I'm not really seeing anything very interesting here. Any ideas? We have Develop, Wishing Well, Advisor, Herald, Cartographer, Count, Knights, Rabble, Trading Post, Altar. I shrug my shoulders and decide on money + Rabble; I start picking up Knights late in the game when it starts looking like (a) that might be the 3-pile ending, and (b) using Knights to trash my Duchies is the only chance my opponent has left. I win 42-36.

Thanks hdu88 for a nice series of games!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:27:43 pm by secret tunnel »

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:39 pm »
+1

Psyduck defeats Emeric 3:0.

Emeric - Psyduck 0:1
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1395869579210.txt
Masquerade into a Ironmonger-Cultist-Haggler engine. I add an early Spice Merchant and my engine comes together much better.

Psyduck - Emeric 2:0
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1395870205708.txt
Governor-Duke works really well. He gets one Governor, a Smithy and some Crossroads, while I take two Governors and a Courtyard. We split the duchies evenly, but I manage to win the Duke split 5-3. It is really close, as he has a lead in Provinces , until I draw 2 Governors with 2 Golds for the last two Provinces.

Psyduck - Emeric 3:0
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140326/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1395870846570.txt
Masterpiece-Feodum with Colonies. Both of us go for the Feoda and a Silver flood. Emeric uses Nomad Camps to get hands with lots of money, while I spend some turns to trash down with Count, which proves to be strong. Soon I get lots of Silvers (21-18 at the end), while Emeric's deck suffers a bit from Masterpieces and his early Feoda. He gets 6 Feoda, but I get 7 Provinces and a Colony (thanks to Haven) for the win.

Thank you Emeric for the games, and good luck in the rest of the tournament.

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 06:55:24 pm »
+1

hdu88 vs secret tunnel

Game 1
Probably one of the most interesting games I've played. KC with only Spice Merchant and Stables for draw. Cutpurse is a very potent card as it can deny the draw, especially in conjunction with KC. I ended up going for a treasureless Poor House deck while my opponent goes for Duchies, with Spice Merchant as the only +buy. I'm solidly in the lead until I get 12 straight turns where I don't connect KC with Poor House, despite having 4 KC and 6 Poor House in the deck.

0-1

Game 2
We both go for Black Market. I get Butcher and win.

1-1

Game 3
Wharf engine vs Rebuild. I open 4-3 against a 5-2 and miss both Silver and Baron on the first reshuffle. He plays 11 Rebuilds in the course of 10 turns (Turns 5-14), despite having only 2 in his deck for most of the game. The final score was really lopsided, but I feel like I'm only slightly disadvantaged in the matchup but I was having bottom 5% luck vs my opponent's top 5% luck.

Also, what do you guys think of opening Woodcutter/Potion for the Wharf engine?

1-2

Game 4
We both open double Silver. I get 4-4 to his 6-4 on a money board, but I recover on the next shuffle with 8-6!! which I screw up by buying Altar-Sir Michael on a board with no villages. Sir Michael-Sir Bailey would be a much better choice.

1-3

Thanks for the games secret tunnel, and good luck for the final two rounds!
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:05 pm »
+1

jsh vs yed

Game 1:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1395868273969.txt

Kind of a dull game with no draw or opportunities for strong gaining.  I get a Remake and shoot for Bandit Camps; he does the same thing.  FPA comes in to play here, I'm sure.

Game 2:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140326/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1395870016255.txt

Interesting, dynamic board with a lot of piles to consider.  Really, almost every card is important here.  Eventually we both work up to big Squire/Hunting Grounds/Ironmonger/Bridge engines.  It all came down to endgame tactics.

Game 3:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140326/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1395871156826.txt

Tactician is the only +buy here, and it clashes with some of the other cards, but I take it.  I green early (too early) and build up a lead with my Throne Room/Cutpurse thing, then win by locking Yed out of points.  On one turn, I remake 2 Throne rooms to Duchies, which is risky, but needed to ensure he can't catch up.

This was a very interesting set of games (aside from #1) that either of us probably could have won, really.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:43 pm »
+1

Psyduck - Emeric 3:0
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140326/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1395870846570.txt
Masterpiece-Feodum with Colonies. Both of us go for the Feoda and a Silver flood. Emeric uses Nomad Camps to get hands with lots of money, while I spend some turns to trash down with Count, which proves to be strong. Soon I get lots of Silvers (21-18 at the end), while Emeric's deck suffers a bit from Masterpieces and his early Feoda. He gets 6 Feoda, but I get 7 Provinces and a Colony (thanks to Haven) for the win.

Thank you Emeric for the games, and good luck in the rest of the tournament.

Hmm this one is interesting. I think i would have done somethink completely different than you two did. In my experience in Feodum Masterpiece games it is most important to get up to big Masterpieces. On 5/2 i think i would have gone Rabble to reach that and on 4/3 i would have even opened Treasure Map/Silver and get another 1 or 2 Treasure Maps the next shuffle. After they collided you will have a 12-14$ hand and can get 9-11 Silvers on a single Masterpiece. You will probably lose the Feodum split 5/3 or even 6/2 this way, but if you lose in 6/2 your opponents economy will be so crippled that you can easily catch up on Points with your AMAZING Economy having 4 Golds and about 13 Silvers in your Deck from around turn 7 on. If your opponent also builds up a bit and doesnt start on Feoda too early you will get at least 3 of them and those will be worth much more than his 5 in that case.

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »

Also, what do you guys think of opening Woodcutter/Potion for the Wharf engine?

Candlestick/Potion opening without Baron
Candlestick/Potion opening with Baron
Silver/Baron opening

I think I made the right opening.
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

antigoth

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:07 pm »
+1

I lost to Brave Bear 1-3-1, but he doesn't know how to post the logs:
Game 1
http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140326/log.52215356e4b08be7ae40aa77.1395883404307.txt
1-0

Game 2
http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140326/log.52215356e4b08be7ae40aa77.1395884063077.txt
1-1

Game 3
http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140326/log.52215356e4b08be7ae40aa77.1395884992938.txt
1-1-1

Game 4
http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140326/log.52215356e4b08be7ae40aa77.1395886585362.txt
1-2-1

Game 5
http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140326/log.52215356e4b08be7ae40aa77.1395887698178.txt
1-3-1

Game 1 I got lucky and the deck fired on the last turn so I could buy two provinces and end it.
Game 2 He hit 6 six really early, got the horde, and the game as a result. (I think it was turn 3)
Game 3 I could have won, and avoided the draw, but I mis-used my Pawn.
Game 4 was all over the place. A Fun set-up, but neither of us had a really solid plan of what we were doing.
Game 5 - with my build choice I don't think I could have done anything differently.

Good luck Brave Bear.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.