Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pina Pirata (by DXV)  (Read 9045 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Pina Pirata (by DXV)
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:51:45 am »
+3

http://vimeo.com/87385442

An interview with one of Iello's staff by Cliquenabend, along with a basic run-through of the game.  Thankfully for us Ugly Americans, the two speakers don't share a language other than English, so the interview is in English.  Even quicker rundown:

The cards are like a set of 1-10 dominoes, but with pictures of various piratical animals.  10 cards with each of the pictures, then 45 cards with two pictures in each possible combo.

Some of the twist tiles are crazy.

I can see playing this with my 4-year-old with no twists to start, then just one twist.  And I can see it being an interesting filler game for the end of the gaming evening.  Totally picking this up.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Pina Pirata (by DXV)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:13:23 pm »

Thanks a lot for posting the video! I was planning on picking this up anyway, but this new info has me more excited about it. A lot of the rule tiles seem very cool. I also like that each one doubles as a map piece a.k.a. victory point, and I was wondering how each player got to choose the next rule. Now I know; draw two tiles, pick one as the new rule, keep the other as your map piece.

I'm honestly much more excited for this than for Greed, though I couldn't tell you why.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:52 pm »

Did either of you end up buying this? I am interested but haven't yet seen it available to buy.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:59 pm »

Did either of you end up buying this? I am interested but haven't yet seen it available to buy.

Expected release is this month, but I don't think we know yet when in the month.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »

Expected release is this month, but I don't think we know yet when in the month.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low (concerning the release date). I'm guessing June. Amazon still doesn't have it listed.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:31:04 am »
+3

I'm trying to keep my expectations low (concerning the release date). I'm guessing June. Amazon still doesn't have it listed.
Amazon is a good metric for me; when they put it up there's probably really a date, whereas other sites will put up the game for pre-orders way earlier (and have).

I thought it was setting out on its voyage in mid-February but I guess it didn't. As usual I don't have any extra information. A date will probably show up on Amazon before I receive my copies.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:28:33 pm »

There is finally a seller on Amazon that's carrying this. I ordered one. At the time of this writing, there are 11 copies left.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 02:35:11 am »
+2

There is finally a seller on Amazon that's carrying this. I ordered one. At the time of this writing, there are 11 copies left.
Excellent, I will get a secret history up in the near future.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »

Thanks for letting me know. I bought a copy, so it is down to 10 at least. I am excited to play it with my nephews over summer vacation. I hope they will get a kick out of it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:21:29 pm »

Thanks for letting me know. I bought a copy, so it is down to 10 at least. I am excited to play it with my nephews over summer vacation. I hope they will get a kick out of it.

Looks like you and I are the only ones to have ordered it so far. It was supposed to ship today at the latest, though, and hasn't. Hopefully it'll ship tomorrow.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »

It has shipped! Huzzah!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:09:41 pm »
+3

So far I've played two games with my wife. I was hoping it would be significantly more fun than Uno. It is! Like most games of this type, I think it'll be better with more players, but it was surprisingly fun with just two.

There are some rules interactions that are difficult/complex to resolve, but that's a pretty minor complaint. I really like a lot of the Adventure tiles, and I don't think there are any that I dislike so far.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:57 am »

My copy should be here today.  I may or may not have a chance to play with one or more children today, and should have the chance to play with some adults today.

For the kids (and understand mine are nearly 5 and barely 3), I plan to play with no tiles for the 3-year-old, and 1 at most with the 5-year-old.  But I think this will actually be better than Uno, mainly because there are no "special" cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 12:02:17 pm »

For the kids (and understand mine are nearly 5 and barely 3), I plan to play with no tiles for the 3-year-old, and 1 at most with the 5-year-old.  But I think this will actually be better than Uno, mainly because there are no "special" cards.

I have two problems with Uno (other than being generally uninteresting and monotonous). First it's that the attacks are too harsh. Draw two/four cards AND lose your turn? WTF? It's random in a not-fun way. The other problem is the house rule some people use where instead of drawing a single card when you can't play, you draw cards until you can play. "I was about to win, but now I have 10 cards in my hand." It makes the game take forever.

Piña Pirata also has the advantage of having awesome animals rather than boring colors and numbers, so it's got that going for it.

If your family has played Uno before, there are a few other rules that are different in Piña Pirata.

• You have to play a card if you can. You only draw if you have no legal play.
• If you draw a card because you couldn't play and the card you draw is playable, you do not immediately get to play it like you would in Uno.
• Wildcards can be played on anything, but they do not allow you to name a suit for the next player to play. For instance, if Walruses are Wildcards and you play a card with only a Walrus on it, the next player must also play a Walrus (or some other legal play as defined by the Adventure tiles).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 04:29:48 pm »
+2

My copy should be here today.  I may or may not have a chance to play with one or more children today, and should have the chance to play with some adults today.

When I had a nearly 5-year-old, she played fine with multiple rules, and remembered the rules she liked from last time and insisted on having again. The only issue is, she would spread her hand out on the table instead of holding it. Sometimes she would hide them by spreading them out on a chair next to her. I would stop at maybe 4 rules.

When I had a 3-year-old, she played fine with multiple rules, in that, she played whatever match she could fine and did not actually remember the rules, but you just say what's supposed to happen each time.

Also I recommend Monster Factory for kids of those ages. You make monsters out of tiles! And the 3-year-old can use it as a toy and just make monsters.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 12:09:04 pm »

For hiding cards, we use a game box turned upside down.  She sticks the cards in the gap between the top and bottom, it works so great for her.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:07 pm »

Got my copy, just played 2P with my wife. We liked it a lot! There was some pretty good strategy going on and some really goofy games!

I imagine playing with more players increases the hilarity and strategy as some of the events weren't great with only 2P. We really liked the event that had you play two cards from your hand if possible, or else draw a card "Full Sail" I think.

Excited to play it over the summer with our nephews.

Edit: And I agree with PPS that animals are way better than numbers and colors. My favorite is the Penguin... and I keep calling the Parrot a Peacock...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:22:07 pm by yuma »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 09:18:02 am »

OK, the 4-year-old was able to get up to five tiles' worth of rules before, well, getting bored with playing the game, which happens surprisingly often with her.  After one game with adults and one with kids, I can definitely say this fits more with kids--or possibly with non-Eurogamers, but that's hard to tell as my non-Eurogaming family tends not to accept anything that isn't perfectly normal. /sigh  The Eurogamers in my game group did find it, well, a bit more luck-based than we tend to like.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 11:52:11 am »

OK, the 4-year-old was able to get up to five tiles' worth of rules before, well, getting bored with playing the game, which happens surprisingly often with her.  After one game with adults and one with kids, I can definitely say this fits more with kids--or possibly with non-Eurogamers, but that's hard to tell as my non-Eurogaming family tends not to accept anything that isn't perfectly normal. /sigh  The Eurogamers in my game group did find it, well, a bit more luck-based than we tend to like.

Although I enjoy sitting down to play a full game of Piña Pirata (until someone gets 4 tiles), I think it's going to shine more as a game that fills a specific niche: the ultimate filler game. When I first read the rules and saw the two modes, Cruise Mode and Adventure Mode, I assumed that Cruise mode was added later as a super-casual version of the game. When the secret history was posted and I learned that Cruise Mode was the original way to play the game and that Adventure Mode was the one that was tacked on, I was surprised. But now it makes more sense to me.

As a person who only enjoys what most people call "filler" games and isn't really interested in 5-hour games, I don't see Dominion and its ilk as "filler". For me those games are the main event. Piña Pirata is actually a filler game, and it has several advantages over many games that others label "filler".

• It has virtually no setup time.
• Each hand takes only 5 minutes to play.
• People can easily join or drop out between hands.
• You can stop after any number of hands, or even in the middle of a hand.
• It has virtually no teardown time.

I don't know about you, but when my gaming group (which also prefers heavier fare) gets together, they tend to filter in over the course of a half-hour or so. This is the perfect game to play while people are arriving. They can just join in as they arrive and once everyone is there, the game ends. Likewise it's a great restaurant game (as mentioned in the secret history). Start playing after you order. Stop playing when your food arrives. There is no way I'm going to be able to do that with Dominion or Kingdom Builder.

Piña Pirata definitely has a strong luck factor, but it's hands-down more strategic and more fun than any other game I know that fits the above criteria. Although some rules increase the luck factor, most decrease it by giving you more meaningful decisions to make. The fact that there definitely is strategy is what keeps the game interesting for me and why I'd rather play it than most other ultra-light games (like Uno, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:16:16 pm by LastFootnote »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 11:54:44 am »

You know, I totally hadn't thought of it filling the filler-game niche.  But you're totally right.  (And in my group, Dominion or 7 Wonders would also not be filler).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:59 pm »

You know, I totally hadn't thought of it filling the filler-game niche.  But you're totally right.  (And in my group, Dominion or 7 Wonders would also not be filler).

The game doesn't really bill itself this way strongly enough. The fact that they included rules for Adventure Mode at all tells me that IELLO is trying to shoehorn it into more of a standard "let's sit down and play this game" affair. It can be that, but I think it works so much better as a great way to kill an amount of time where the duration isn't known beforehand.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 05:53:59 pm »
+2

When I first read the rules and saw the two modes, Cruise Mode and Adventure Mode, I assumed that Cruise mode was added later as a super-casual version of the game. When the secret history was posted and I learned that Cruise Mode was the original way to play the game and that Adventure Mode was the one that was tacked on, I was surprised. But now it makes more sense to me.
In fact I have never played Adventure Mode. I understand why they added it, but obv. part of the beauty of the game is playing quick hands as people show up; they read the rules tiles as you finish a hand and then you are dealing them in.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »

...all of which makes this sound like it would be a good game to play with my lunch group. I'll see if I can get it.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »

In fact I have never played Adventure Mode.

One thing that's tough about Adventure Mode is remembering which rules are no longer in effect because you've replaced them. It's not a big problem, but it's nice that you don't have to deal with that in Cruise Mode. Unless you play 2 games back to back, I guess.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 12:51:09 pm »

Having played several times now, and having had the same thing happen every time, I must exact my revenge:

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 20 queries.