Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Voting: division sizes: 8 or 6?  (Read 3337 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Voting: division sizes: 8 or 6?
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:45:13 pm »

The poll runs for a week, you can change your vote later on if you feel like it.

With 6 players, #1 promotes, #5 & #6 demote. 5 weeks / season, with 2 weeks in between.
With 8 players, #1 promotes, #7 & #8 demote. 7 weeks / season, with 3 weeks in between.

If you feel one option is better then the other, please vote for it.
If you strongly feel one option is better then the other, vote for it and try to convince others with a post in this thread.
Join the Dominion League!

-Stef-

• View Profile
Re: Voting: division sizes: 8 or 6?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:01:20 pm »
+2

My personal favorite this time is 6-player divisions.
  • People will reach the division that corresponds to their skill level sooner.
  • I like promotions/demotions, and they will happen more often.

An example with actual numbers, to prove new good players will have a shorter route to the top.
4 layers of 6-people divisions -> 15 * 6 = 90 people -> 4 * 7 weeks = 28 weeks
3 layers of 8-people divisions -> 7 * 8 = 56 people -> 3 * 10 weeks = 30 weeks.
i.e. in roughly the same amount of time someone can get to the top with 90 players vs 56 players.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 01:12:15 pm »

I voted, but the time in between seasons seems a bit excesive, given that it is easy to take more time if needed simply by not scheduling any matches for the first/last week of a season. I would go with just 1 week in between, for any size. If more weeks are wanted, it would be better to extend the number of weeks of a season instead of extending breaks.

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »

I voted, but the time in between seasons seems a bit excesive, given that it is easy to take more time if needed simply by not scheduling any matches for the first/last week of a season. I would go with just 1 week in between, for any size. If more weeks are wanted, it would be better to extend the number of weeks of a season instead of extending breaks.

sssht. don't tell anyone.
secretly the weeks in between seasons are to kick those that are too slow to finish their matches in time.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:30:03 pm »
+2

sssht. don't tell anyone.
secretly the weeks in between seasons are to kick those that are too slow to finish their matches in time.

I would put a deadline for having scheduled all matches a week in advance of the end of the season. That way, all matches will either be played or forfeited by the actual season end.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:19:41 pm »
+2

I recommend 6 because I have experience playing in a promotion/relegation league with 8 teams on a different internet game, and I spent many seasons in the same division by being mediocre and constantly finishing 3, 4, 5th places. It got boring. I would have had more fun had I been at a greater risk of demotion - even if after 8 seasons I was still in the same division, it definitely would have felt more exciting to have been demoted and then re-attained my original standing, as opposed to just sitting around all the time.

DerErklärbär

• Swindler
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:54 am »

Hey guys, the idea of a dominion-league got me into this forum. You seem like a pretty nice community!

So here are my two cents about the division size...
I've played in another communitycreated league in another internet-cardgame aswell and it fell apart because of two things:
1) you had to play two league-games in a week no matter what which is sometimes hard to organize. (This seems to be no problem in this league)
2) Some guys got bored and lost a lot of games and stopped playing. Therefore I vote for a 6-player-league. I think 5 weeks and 5 games is pretty nice and there is a high chance that even the person who got frustrated after his 4th lose will play the last game.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:25 pm »
+2

Welcome to forum! Always good to see new faces.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.