Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wayfarer  (Read 4323 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Wayfarer
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:42:12 pm »
+2

Wayfarer
$2 Reaction

At the start of your turn you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do: +1 VP, +1 Card, +1 Action, and put this into the discard pile of the player to your left.

When you gain this from the Supply, put it on top of your deck.

The Wayfarer wanders from player to player.  If he is in your starting hand you get a nice bonus and he continues on his way.  If you draw him mid-turn, he is a dead card.  To prevent him from discouraging engines too strongly, he has a village effect.  I'm not married to the specific bonus he gives.

Note:  In my initial idea he did not move from deck to deck.  Then I realized that trashing down to a deck of just Wayfarers was nuts and didn't advance the game towards ending.  So I added in the wandering, which in turn led to the name.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfarer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
+1

I like the idea of moving from one deck to another. I'm not a huge fan of the "Reaction you reveal at the start of your turn" or the fact that it gives VP tokens. I'd rather just see a card that gave some other bonus and moved to the next player when you played it. I've seen that kind of mechanic on cards that are worth negative VP, but I never thought of putting it on a normal card. Seems promising.

To prevent him from discouraging engines too strongly, he has a village effect.

This is neither here nor there, but I think we as a community are moving too much in the direction of worrying that cards discourage engines. Not every card needs to be an engine card. Really the only thing to watch out for is a card that specifically punishes you or other players for having Actions.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22:23 pm »
+1

I like the idea of moving from one deck to another. I'm not a huge fan of the "Reaction you reveal at the start of your turn" or the fact that it gives VP tokens. I'd rather just see a card that gave some other bonus and moved to the next player when you played it. I've seen that kind of mechanic on cards that are worth negative VP, but I never thought of putting it on a normal card. Seems promising.

These are all good points.  I think this is an artifact of the idea's root, which was a "VP card" which encouraged deck inspection.  Specifically, you were rewarded for finagling the card into your starting hand.  Now it could easily do without the VP token.  Maybe a bonus of "+1 Card, +$1, +1 Buy" instead.

One thing I do like about the Reaction mechanic is that it means the card is generally less good for your opponents, since it would more often be a dead card.  But maybe that's not necessary, after all.  Maybe just make it a $2 Market that moves along to the next player when you play it?  Probably still have it gain to the top of your deck to help ensure that it benefits you more than your opponents.

This is neither here nor there, but I think we as a community are moving too much in the direction of worrying that cards discourage engines. Not every card needs to be an engine card. Really the only thing to watch out for is a card that specifically punishes you or other players for having Actions.

Yeah, I agree with this.  I don't think it would have discouraged engines all that harshly anyhow.

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:20 am »

Wayfarer
$2 Reaction

At the start of your turn you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do: +1 VP, +1 Card, +1 Action, and put this into the discard pile of the player to your left.

The Wayfarer wanders from player to player.  If he is in your starting hand you get a nice bonus and he continues on his way.  If you draw him mid-turn, he is a dead card.  To prevent him from discouraging engines too strongly, he has a village effect.  I'm not married to the specific bonus he gives.

Note:  In my initial idea he did not move from deck to deck.  Then I realized that trashing down to a deck of just Wayfarers was nuts and didn't advance the game towards ending.  So I added in the wandering, which in turn led to the name.
How do you define "At the start of your turn"? After or before resolving durations? This is confusing.
And I wonder of it's possible to build a governor masquerade engine to make a wayfarer golden deck...
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:34:59 am »
+1

Isn't this the same phrasing as Duration cards?  I'm referring to that same start of your turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:12 am »
+1

Wayfarer
$2 Reaction

How do you define "At the start of your turn"? After or before resolving durations? This is confusing.
And I wonder of it's possible to build a governor masquerade engine to make a wayfarer golden deck...

If multiple cards say "at the start of your turn", you choose the order to resolve them. You could even do some Durations, resolve this effect, then do others.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:35:45 pm »

I would word it this way, which I find a lot less confusing, and it is almost the same (there are some edge cases with disappearing actions like Fishing Village from previous turn + Feast, but I think that makes the card better, not worse):

Wayfarer
$2 Action

If no card in play was played this turn:
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP
Put this in the discard pile of the player to your left.
---
When you gain this, put it on top of your deck.

or even the simpler (though it is worse with Durations, which are not precisely an edge case, but I still think it could work):

Wayfarer
$2 Action

If you have no cards in play:
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP
---

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »
+1

I would word it this way, which I find a lot less confusing, and it is almost the same (there are some edge cases with disappearing actions like Fishing Village from previous turn + Feast, but I think that makes the card better, not worse):

Wayfarer
$2 Action

If no card in play was played this turn:
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP
---

or even the simpler (though it is worse with Durations, which are not precisely an edge case, but I still think it could work):

Wayfarer
$2 Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP
---

I think you actually put an Action card in play before you follow its instructions.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »

I think you actually put an Action card in play before you follow its instructions.

Change "card" for "other card" then.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

Change "card" for "other card" then.

Or put it in your opponent's discard before checking the condition.  I like that even more, since then if you draw it dead you still have the option of passing it along to an opponent, just without getting the bonus.  That could be an interesting decision, such as when you are drawing most of your deck each turn and thereby see it dead regularly.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »

Or put it in your opponent's discard before checking the condition.  I like that even more, since then if you draw it dead you still have the option of passing it along to an opponent, just without getting the bonus.  That could be an interesting decision, such as when you are drawing most of your deck each turn and thereby see it dead regularly.

As I wrote it, you do not have the option (although it is hard to parenthesize that correctly with regular writing of vainilla bonuses). But, you can playtest both variants, I doubt they will play really differently.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:43:23 pm »
+1

Alright, I like this new version better.  I think it is less confusing.

Wayfarer
$2 Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP

---

Edit:  I just copy/pasted the template from soulnet.  Again, I'm not married to the precise bonus.  It is the mechanic that I'm interested in.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:54:34 pm by SirPeebles »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »

Wayfarer
$2 Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP

---

Edit:  I just copy/pasted the template from soulnet.  Again, I'm not married to the precise bonus.  It is the mechanic that I'm interested in.

So this is a VP for you, giving you neighbour a Village on top if his deck, and a potential VP later. It seems weak to me.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 02:53:14 pm »
+1

Wayfarer
$2 Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 VP

---

So this is a VP for you, giving you neighbour a Village on top if his deck, and a potential VP later. It seems weak to me.

Pretty sure it should say gain from the supply.

Edit: Or, "put in discard pile" doesn't count as gaining, and would be stipulated in the rules.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »

It doesn't go on top of his deck, it goes into his discard pile.  In lots of decks, there is a good chance he will draw it while there is already a card in play, in which case it is a dead card.  At the very least, he probably won't see it for a few turns.

And Witherweaver is right.  I'll edit that clarification back in.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:59 pm »
+1

No he was not right. Putting in discard pile does not involve gaining, it is like Masq's passing.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:16:34 pm »

No he was not right. Putting in discard pile does not involve gaining, it is like Masq's passing.

Maybe I misunderstood him.  I meant that it is the best wording for clarity's sake.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.