Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: I really really hate tournament, but how do I avoid it online?  (Read 33707 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
+2

I really really hate tournament so I decided not to play with it anymore, but that's kinda hard online when hardly anyone wants to play casual and you can't veto cards in pro.
Yesterday I got a pro game using automatich, saw it had tournament, so I said "Sorry I don't play with tournament" and resigned. Got matched up with the same guy again and he declined the match.
So frustrating that it's so hard to avoid playing with one certain card when playing online... <deleted some whining about being poor here>. Even if I paid to have all sets, I'd never play pro games again to avoid tournament, so it'd be hard to find an opponent because all the better players seem to just play pro.
I don't even know if you can see the kingdom beforehand when playing casual if you use automatch, can you?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: I really really hate tournament, but how do I avoid it online?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:14:39 pm »

you can't. i really really hate masquerade, but i can't avoid playing with it. so i play with it, and that's that. there should be a veto mode, but there isn't. just deal with it. tournament is fun anyway.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:17:26 pm »
+9

Honestly, you just roll with it.  There is an inherent amount of luck in Dominion.  Play enough games and things will even out. 

Things like Swindler hitting Copper instead of Estate, getting a 4 Cultist stack to empty the ruins a turn before your opponent, Sea Hagging your opponents Sea Hag, unsupported Turn 5 Treasure Map Collision, Chapel turning up on Turn 5, Opponent getting KC/Mountebank before you, etc... 

I could continue this list for the rest of the afternoon.  The point is, there is luck in Dominion.  Yeah, Tournament is certainly a large culprit but it is not the only culprit.  As Adam Horton would say, "You make your own shuffle luck."  While that phrase may sound catchy, I would say that you respond to your own shuffle luck.  Regardless of what your deck draws you, you can always play a game in such a manner that you maximize your chances of winning.  Some games, that percentage is really low due to uncontrollable circumstances but in a lot of games you can still play to the best of your ability and some combination of your own luck or opponents play can bring you back into a game.  However you might only get that chance if you take the misfortune in stride and still play your best. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
+2

I really hate tournament, but I still play with it.  Usually the games end with me saying, "I hate tournament."
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »
+1

Stick with it. Tournament is one of the best cards in Dominion. It might be high luck but it also high skill. Like possession, it changes the way a kingdom is played and brings unique strategies into play. Sure, some games can be written off with bad luck, but once you can use tournament with high skill there tend to be far less games with bad luck.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:01:55 pm »
+1

Stick with it. Tournament is one of the best cards in Dominion. It might be high luck but it also high skill. Like possession, it changes the way a kingdom is played and brings unique strategies into play. Sure, some games can be written off with bad luck, but once you can use tournament with high skill there tend to be far less games with bad luck.

This is both true and false. Referring to my gokodom round 4 game, both my opponent and I went tournament and Tactician to get Prizes. He gets them before me. That's all there is to it. It has huge FPA, especially because they get to pick up a unique and powerful card. So yes you can play Tournament better, there is skill in it. But there is also a lot of luck, and mostly I think the problem is FPA more than anything else with Tournament.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »
+3

You know, I'd be a hypocrite if I told you to stick with it. I didn't get Black Market and set up my own games mostly because I don't ever want to play with it.

Full random isn't the only (or even best) way to choose kingdoms in Dominion, and I am not going to fault you for wanting to play particular types of games. I am surprised more people don't play casual or unrated games. Because the market for non-pro 2 player games is thin, your only option is to wait longer. Automatch in Salvager is not very helpful, either.

Last Footnote seems to have a lot of luck finding players for his unrated games (he randomly picks 2 expansions and 5 cards from each -- which I think results in higher quality kingdoms on average than full random). I also have some luck setting up casual three player games. Usually I just play those with friends so I don't have to wait around, but every once in a while I'll wait and play one with strangers.

Having said that, if you don't like Tournament because you are not good with it -- then playing more games may ease the pain.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »
+16

Why the heck is everyone projecting these motives on OP for his dislike of tournament? Maybe he is a master of the card, does not think it is high luck, but prefers games with more silver purchases.  For all you know.  Just because someone's card preferences is different from yours doesn't mean you have to figure out some way they are inferior to you.  Goodness.  I don't like to play with Feast because it makes me hungry and I end up snacking between games.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »
+7

LibraryAdventurer, if you run into me on goko, I will happily let you resign turn 0 on tournament boards and rematch you until we get a board without it.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »
+12

Why the heck is everyone projecting these motives on OP for his dislike of tournament? Maybe he is a master of the card, does not think it is high luck, but prefers games with more silver purchases.  For all you know.  Just because someone's card preferences is different from yours doesn't mean you have to figure out some way they are inferior to you.  Goodness.  I don't like to play with Feast because it makes me hungry and I end up snacking between games.
I keep confusing it with Tournamine :(
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:15:25 pm »
+5

It's funny because you replaced Mint with Mine.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22:11 pm »
+2

its funny because you explained a bad joke

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
+1

"Joke" is a relative word.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:25:31 pm »
+1

Like, a good joke always pertains to one of the recipient's relatives, for instance, yo mamma.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:36:55 am »
+14

Yo momma's so stupid she bought a Feast in order to get a Mint when Tournament was on the board. When she finally did get a Tournament, I had already lined a Province up with Mine.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:38:05 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 01:40:21 am »

i laughed.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:51 am »
+1

i laughed.

I cried

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 10:54:08 am »
+1

i laughed.

I cried

I hurled.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26:12 am »
+4

i laughed.

I cried

I hurled.
i noticed that this is the only combination of capitalizing/not capitalizing the i and having/not having the period at the end of the sentence that hasn't been used in this combo yet
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 11:33:33 am »
+10

i laughed.

I cried

I hurled.
i noticed that this is the only combination of capitalizing/not capitalizing the i and having/not having the period at the end of the sentence that hasn't been used in this combo yet

i dIsagree.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 08:12:57 am »
+1

It is true, that you make your own shuffle luck (+1 to shark bait for the shout out :D )

One of my favorite things about Dominion is that all opportunities are available to each player. It's not like Magic or something where one guy could have spent a bunch of money on a card that gives him a huge advantage. Cards like Tournament, Black Market, and Knights are cards I don't play with for this reason.

On Goko, I never bought Black Market because I don't like playing with it. When a kingdom comes up with Tournament or Knights in it, if I'm playing with someone I know IRL we'll just agree not to buy the card. Otherwise I'll just suck it up and play the game. Yeah I feel a little dirty and it's not really fun for me but it's a Pro game.

Pro games are very well-defined in that they are full-random where people can't see the kingdom before the game starts, etc. People expect a very particular thing when they play pro games and if you don't want exactly that, then don't play pro games. It would be nice if they would allow what you asked for in casual/unrated games (without the extension).
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 11:00:18 am »

I would be fine with playing casual games if it told you when you looked at the game how someone picked the cards (i.e. it would display all the requirements they used for kingdom generation). You could see if someone had hand-picked a kingdom, selected a combo, or just done full random minus three cards they don't like). It's not really that I think full random is the only way to play dominion, but like AdamH said, the symmetry is one of my favorite things about the game, so I don't really want to play a kingdom someone cherrypicked so they could exploit a specific combo.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 11:10:23 am »
+2

I would be fine with playing casual games if it told you when you looked at the game how someone picked the cards (i.e. it would display all the requirements they used for kingdom generation). You could see if someone had hand-picked a kingdom, selected a combo, or just done full random minus three cards they don't like). It's not really that I think full random is the only way to play dominion, but like AdamH said, the symmetry is one of my favorite things about the game, so I don't really want to play a kingdom someone cherrypicked so they could exploit a specific combo.

So, about this. I used to have a little web-app that generated strings like "5 Seaside, 5 Intrigue". But sometimes I would get a cool setup and my opponent would just time out at the start of the game. I wanted to play that board! But I can't get it back. So I changed the app and now it actually picks all 10 cards. So by your criteria it looks like a cherry picked Kingdom when really it's randomized.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 11:24:25 am »

So, about this. I used to have a little web-app that generated strings like "5 Seaside, 5 Intrigue". But sometimes I would get a cool setup and my opponent would just time out at the start of the game. I wanted to play that board! But I can't get it back. So I changed the app and now it actually picks all 10 cards. So by your criteria it looks like a cherry picked Kingdom when really it's randomized.

See in my ideal world, goko would actually have a built in kingdom generator and that's where this info would be coming from
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 11:34:09 am »

See in my ideal world, goko would actually have a built in kingdom generator and that's where this info would be coming from

Sure, but even that's not foolproof. A person could just randomize Prosperity/Intrigue kingdoms until they got Masq/KC/Goons, for example. The real solution here is the blacklist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.