Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Would a "search for a specific card" work In dominion?  (Read 1522 times)

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Would a "search for a specific card" work In dominion?
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »

I have tried playing a card I created, Expedition
Expedition
type- action/ duration
Cost- $5
Take two coin tokens
name a card, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. at the start of your turn, put it into your hand

How would a card like this work( where you "search" for a specific card)? Also, this is just an example. there are probably much better ways to implement this.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Would a "search for a specific card" work In dominion?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:53:19 pm »

This is mostly how you would do it (although you need to define where the other revealed cards go). The closest thing in print is Scavenger.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:47 pm »

Expedition
type- action/ duration
Cost- $5
Take two coin tokens
name a card, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card. at the start of your turn, put it into your hand

How would a card like this work( where you "search" for a specific card)? Also, this is just an example. there are probably much better ways to implement this.

I think that as written this is too similar to scavenger. If you want to explore new space, I think the card has to go into hand, and now the comparison is to Band of Misfits.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:33 pm »
+1

Expedition
type- action/ duration
Cost- $5
Take two coin tokens

I think that as written this is too similar to scavenger. If you want to explore new space, I think the card has to go into hand, and now the comparison is to Band of Misfits.

No, it would be very different from BoM.  The question is whether it is too strong or not.  I think you can find discussion on this kind of card by searching for Demonic Tutor (the equivalent card in Magic).  At one point I would have argued to the end that this kind of card is just too strong.  I'm not sure now though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »

I think it would be similar to Hunting Party. Of course you can name any card, not just a different one than in your hand, but I'm not sure it's that different. Probably better for BM if it's terminal.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »

I think the comparison is reasonable, but they are not at all similar. One strong point about BoM is not needing to buy each of the $3 or $4 costs. For instance, use it as Jack or Hermit while Silver gaining and trashing are strong, then switch to Scavenger for stability, then to Remodel for extra payload. If you need to have all three in your deck, it is way weaker. Especially with good-at-the-endgame cards like Remodel, being able to use them without having to gain them when there is no good time for doing it, BoM is great and this card, not so much.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.