Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Which of these more powerful attack cards is your LEAST favorite?  (Read 15563 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Which of these more powerful attack cards is your LEAST favorite?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:16:43 pm »
+3

Surprisingly, I'm fine with all of these.
Unsurprisingly, if you have all of these, your opponent's not going to be fine.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 07:06:38 pm »
+2

Why do people find Minion annoying ? Once they get 4-5 of them, just don't look at your opening hand.
The thing is, Minion hurts approximately as much as Militia. It's like discarding randomly one card from your hand. The attack of militia is sometimes painful but it's not easy to play a militia every turn. Minion is worse because you can easily play it every turn, it slows the game down, and it's a boring automatic strategy.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:55 pm »

Surprisingly, I'm fine with all of these.
Unsurprisingly, if you have all of these, your opponent's not going to be fine.

I guess if you have all 11 of these, maybe you found a village in the black market too? If not, your opponent is probably draining the Province pile while you try to play all of these.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 07:31:22 pm »

If I could vote for one inidividually, I'd vote for Sir Michael (which I replaced with a fan-made knight card for when I play IRL). The Knights' attack is nasty enough and Sir Michael adds another attack on top of it instead of doing something for its player.

Ended up voting for Sea hag though. Knights are interesting with each one being different, but Sea hag is annoying to get hit by and annoying to play because it doesn't do anything for the person playing it. I probably would've voted for Familiar if it was on the list (Familiar really should be up there). For the same reason as Sea hag except worse.
I have nothing against any of the others on the list, but I also hate Saboteur (you can guess why).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 10:13:45 pm »

If I could vote for one inidividually, I'd vote for Sir Michael (which I replaced with a fan-made knight card for when I play IRL). The Knights' attack is nasty enough and Sir Michael adds another attack on top of it instead of doing something for its player.

Ended up voting for Sea hag though. Knights are interesting with each one being different, but Sea hag is annoying to get hit by and annoying to play because it doesn't do anything for the person playing it. I probably would've voted for Familiar if it was on the list (Familiar really should be up there). For the same reason as Sea hag except worse.
I have nothing against any of the others on the list, but I also hate Saboteur (you can guess why).

Saboteur is bad though. Sure it can be annoying, but 90% of the time it's just bad. Also, Sir Micheal only seems OP, but he's not. Again, his down side is being terminal that doesn't help you this turn.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:18 pm »

Saboteur is bad though. Sure it can be annoying, but 90% of the time it's just bad. Also, Sir Micheal only seems OP, but he's not. Again, his down side is being terminal that doesn't help you this turn.

Exactly, Saboteur is bad for everyone. That's why I hate it. Bad for the player playing it, bad for the person getting hit by it. I didn't say Sir Michael was overpowered, I just said I hate that card. Two nasty attacks on one card is bad. It's bad for the person playing it and bad for the person getting hit. Those are the attack cards I hate most.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »

Exactly, Saboteur is bad for everyone. That's why I hate it. Bad for the player playing it, bad for the person getting hit by it. I didn't say Sir Michael was overpowered, I just said I hate that card. Two nasty attacks on one card is bad. It's bad for the person playing it and bad for the person getting hit. Those are the attack cards I hate most.

What I meant was Saboteur is weak. It's usually bad for the person playing it, but not to bad for the person being attacked.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 01:48:53 am »

What I meant was Saboteur is weak. It's usually bad for the person playing it, but not to bad for the person being attacked.
If people are only using it when it's good, it's similar to Sea Hag.  There are boards where it is good, boards where it is dominating, even.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:46 am »

Minion is about halfway between Pillage (discard your best card) and Urchin (discard your worst card), but it also ruins setups. I don't think either Minion without the attack or a terminal silver with Minion's attack (for $4?) would be easily ignored cards.

Intrigue is such a nasty set, just in terms of psychology. Torturer is aptly named. Saboteur is a weak card but not because it doesn't hurt. Minion ruins all of your best laid plans even if it helps you sometimes. Swindler's "trash a copper, gain a curse" actually feels harsher than just gaining the curse because at that stage of the game coppers are still seen as useful, and the general randomness.

I voted Ghost Ship though, because it's about as bad as Torturer as far as forcing you into a tough decision, it noticeably slows you down and Militia is already a pretty heavy effect.

I was thinking in terms of what I least like being hit by though; Goons is my least favourite because I just wish the attack wasn't there. At least Minion has symmetry.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:57:10 am by NoMoreFun »

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:54 am »

Cultist, definitely. Having 8-9 ruins in your deck by turn 9 (which happens often enough if your opponent has 5/2 opening) sucks out any kind of fun from the game.

Laboratory is strong 5$ card from base set. Witch is even stronger. Combination of pseudo-Lab and pseudo-Wicth, with added on-trash benefit, is way too overpowered, IMO.

Torturer is close second (way too stackable with village support), while Ambassador is 3rd.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 04:12:04 am »
+2

I like all of these cards.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 04:28:48 am »
+2

It's either Torturer or Ghost Ship, as those are the two cards that can almost shut you down.

Margrave doesn't come into it: sometimes it even helps you to progress.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 06:47:41 am »
+1

Ghost ship for me.  It's not powerful, it's just boring and slow and dull to counter.  I've rarely had a game with it that was lively and interesting and didn't involve ignoring it entirely.

awildnoobappeared

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 07:43:24 am »
+1

I saw Scrying Pool on the list and voted for that without even looking at the other answers, as it's by far my most disliked card solely because the attack makes turns take forever. I swear that card made me ragequit this whole game (for a few months, anyway!)

Apart from that probably Swindler because of its swinginess, and Cultist and Familiar because of how screwed you are if your opponent gets lucky and you don't. All the rest are fine IMO.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 10:43:44 am »

Dude, Library is such an awesome counter to Margrave it's not even funny sometimes
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 02:43:44 pm »

Dude, Library is such an awesome counter to Margrave it's not even funny sometimes
I disagree.  I think it's such an awesome counter to Margrave it's not even funny ever at all even one time.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 03:32:49 pm »

I voted for margrave because discarding 3 cards feels a lot worse than discarding 2, even though the attack is not even as powerful as militia.
I also don't like it because of its vanilla bonuses; 3 cards and a buy is already really good for an engine, which just means I am going to get hit lots of times, and each time I am hit I will have to tediously draw and discard 1 card a bunch more times.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
+1

I disagree.  I think it's such an awesome counter to Margrave it's not even funny ever at all even one time.
I disagree. I think it's such an awesome counter to Margrave it's always extremely funny!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 06:23:28 pm »

I voted for margrave because discarding 3 cards feels a lot worse than discarding 2, even though the attack is not even as powerful as militia.
I also don't like it because of its vanilla bonuses; 3 cards and a buy is already really good for an engine, which just means I am going to get hit lots of times, and each time I am hit I will have to tediously draw and discard 1 card a bunch more times.
I don't think the attack feels very painful. The thing I dislike is that it strongly encourages mirror matches, because a) well, it's just good and b) your opponent's Margraves help you match up Village+Margrave, which as likely as not is the only good thing you can do with 3-card hands.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »
+1

My vote definitely goes to Ambassador.

Nowadays engines are possible on about 70-90% of the boards.
When Ambassador meats an engine with villages the game goes on for like 20 turns and then one person just gets overrolled by junk cards. Yes in those games the player who knows how to play Ambassador correctly will nearly always beat the player who is not that experienced with it, so you might say the card makes the game more skill dependant than luck dependant and with that less swingy, but if both players know how to play with Ambassador it usually comes down to luck. So this card combines slowing down the game immensely and being swingy at the same time.

Ambassador games are very rarely interesting and like never fun.
I recently played an interesting Ambassador game with Monsieur X, but it certainly was not a fun one.
And in the end the one just focussing on Ambassador still won.
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140328/log.516cd492e4b082c74d7a247a.1396051265372.txt

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »

I'm going to jump on the Ghost Ship bandwagon. Discard attacks just hurt more than trashing or cursing, maybe because other attacks are more out-of-sight, out-of-mind, and Ghost Ship is worst because I get to see those bad cards again and again.

My answer might have been Scrying Pool a little while ago because of how long the turns took, but then I started drawing ten cards at a time with it....

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 08:33:19 pm »

I'm going to jump on the Ghost Ship bandwagon. Discard attacks just hurt more than trashing or cursing, maybe because other attacks are more out-of-sight, out-of-mind, and Ghost Ship is worst because I get to see those bad cards again and again.

My answer might have been Scrying Pool a little while ago because of how long the turns took, but then I started drawing ten cards at a time with it....

I can understand Ghost Ship. My vote is for sure Minion, also because it's stronger than Ghost Ship, which doesn't really hurt a good engine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 11:18:17 pm »

I can understand Ghost Ship. My vote is for sure Minion, also because it's stronger than Ghost Ship, which doesn't really hurt a good engine.
If you have already built the engine when your opponent goes for Ghost Ship, sure.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 03:34:08 am »

I'm fine with Ghost Ship, but I really don't like Sea Hag. First, it doesn't help your deck, second it's a strong attack and third, it can even skip opponent's sea hag, which basically mean 6-4 or 7-3 split due to luck. Swindler also has lots of potential to be annoying, but at least, it's a terminal silver. So if you're devastating your opponent's deck, the game won't take forever... and later on, swindling a curse or a province can really mean game over. So at some point, one should be careful about it.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:26 am »

I like them all! They are my favorite cards! What do I do??
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.