Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Farmland Caravan a thing?  (Read 2223 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Is Farmland Caravan a thing?
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:02 pm »

Code: [Select]
Cellar, Hamlet, Develop, Doctor, Caravan, Herald, Militia, Duke, Junk Dealer, FarmlandAnd here's the log
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140317/log.517f1918e4b07cbd3b35d0c0.1395099270898.txt

So, I opened silver militia thinking of going a caravan BM.  I don't really see anything engine-worthy here or anything that would require the trashing of junk dealer or doctor and I'm not sure what I would want a herald for.  Develop->Duke seems super slow, but who knows, with all those non-terminal 4's maybe?  Anyways, I get my 3rd turn and have 6 with an estate (I'm realizing now that was super lucky) but I decided to turn the estate into a caravan using farmland, which I was then able to do it one more time.  The second time I decided to get gold instead of farmland, but still, having 2 farmlands in a caravan BM deck was enough to pile out 8 provinces in 20 turns.  I'm not sure if this is more a testament to caravan BM, or to the fact that my opponent ignored militia and opted for a bunch of heralds and only had 1 gold...  But anyways, I was mostly just happy to see farmland do well here.

Smartie

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Is Farmland Caravan a thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:28:44 pm »

Slightly surprised that none went junk dealers  :P But considering that the farmland can allow you to trash a dead card to something useful as you have mentioned,  I think that is not a bad move! ;)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:12 pm »
+2

I don't think farmland is so great here. Gold is so much better than farmland in 3 card hands and this should be a militia game, whatever sort of deck you're building. There are three other trashers to remove estates. Farmland isn't much use if you're going for duchy/duke.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:02:16 pm »

yeah... I think what did it was my opponent ignoring militia

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:30:18 pm »
+1

Farmlanding Estate into Caravan early doesn't seem super-appealing to me. It's a lot like just buying a Caravan, since you end up with the same deck composition in the short term. Long-term, isn't it basically just a $2 down-payment on a future Province turn? ie, you can buy a Province for only $6 if you have your Farmland in hand. I think I'd rather just have the Gold, which is worth $3 every time I draw it, than a Caravan and an eventual $2 discount.

Later on, when you want to green anyway, it's a great layaway plan if you can't afford $8 because the Militia keep hitting you.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:19 pm »
+1

Not only ignoring militia, but it is hard to pass up doctor when you open 4 or 5.  With some trashing, you can probably get a pretty potent herald/militia/caravan engine.  Throwing in a hamlet or two wouldn't hurt either to get the +buy.  Going herald without the trashing here is a losing strategy.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:26:09 am »
+1

I think it may be a thing, but probably this isn't the board for it. Farmland is fine with good 4s and big hands, both of which go with Caravan.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:32:28 am »

Looking back now, I see that this probably isn't the board for it but I think it *could* work on another board. 

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:10:22 am »
+1

Unrelated, but I just noticed you can set up some fun combos with Develop-Herald.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.