Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An Attempt at Transmute  (Read 1444 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
An Attempt at Transmute
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140315/log.50ea2963e4b0429cfe091cec.1394896407854.txt

Code: [Select]
Transmute, Candlestick Maker, Stonemason, Lookout, Oracle, Storeroom, Cache, Duke, Venture, Farmland
So I go for Duchy/Duke this game using a Stonemason overpay strategy to amass Transmute and other actions followed by Storeroom/Silver/Candlestick maker to facilitate buying Dukes since Transmute can't gain them.

I'm wondering where I went wrong here.  Should my first few Transmute plays have been on Copper to gain more Transmutes?  I know Shelters weaken Transmute a bit as you can only get a single Gold as opposed to 3 which hurts the ability to purchase Dukes mid/endgame.  In the end I lost, but it was a loss on turns and by no means a blowout.

There really aren't too many strategies that make Transmute a key card but this was a game where I thought it could be done.  Any thoughts as to the viability of this strategy in this game.  I certainly think it can beat BM a good portion of the time, the question is how much.  Alternatively, would a money based Duchy/Duke strategy been better using Storeroom/Cache/Silver?

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Smartie

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: An Attempt at Transmute
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:55 pm »

Perhaps i may be wrong, but seems like the addition of lookout in your deck could potentially increase your chances in getting your transmute to be more useful? Didn't think you want other action cards than the transmute if you are going full fledge  ;)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:42:54 am »
+2

I've never tried it but Transmute sounds awfully slow for a Duke strategy. I think Oracle/Silver into two Caches and another Oracle is both faster and more reliable in getting Duchies, and, as a bonus, is also quite adept at getting Dukes.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:36 am »
+2

I've never tried it but Transmute sounds awfully slow for a Duke strategy. I think Oracle/Silver into two Caches and another Oracle is both faster and more reliable in getting Duchies, and, as a bonus, is also quite adept at getting Dukes.
I dunno if you wait for two caches, but something like this seems right.

Transmute ONLY gets you duchies, really, and while it does that okay... I have a really hard time thinking it'll be fast enough to win the duchy split, and even if you don't lose it, splitting 4-4 is awful for the transmute player because (s)he has a much more difficult time getting dukes OR provinces.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.