Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: You'd think with 8 Fool's Golds in your deck they'd collide all the time  (Read 1961 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140316/log.508ae4c20cf264ac914cc446.1395015913624.txt

I had 8 Fool's Golds and he had none so I thought I had it made. Apparently not. Any ideas as to what I could've done wrong here?

Code: [Select]
Fool's Gold, Scrying Pool, Great Hall, Market Square, Cutpurse, Death Cart, Herald, Graverobber, Mountebank, Farmland
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
+2

You can't trash down, there is no real way of drawing Fool's Gold into your hand, and your opponent can junk your deck with Mountebank.  This doesn't look like a particularly promising Fool's Gold board to me.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile

I feel like I'd go Potion/MS here, even if it's wrong.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
+1

There are no cards on the board that can trash Coppers or Curses. So, Mountebank looks like the key card here. With all the junk flying around, Fool's Golds look pretty bad; they won't collide very often. I also don't see much hope in a Scrying Pool/Herald engine (but I'm sure SheCantSayNo would disagree with me ;) ).

I'd open Silver/Cutpurse (or Mountebank/nothing on 5-2). I'd get a couple of Mountebanks ASAP, and then I'd play BM the rest of the way. Am I being naive here?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
+1

There are no cards on the board that can trash Coppers or Curses. So, Mountebank looks like the key card here. With all the junk flying around, Fool's Golds look pretty bad; they won't collide very often. I also don't see much hope in a Scrying Pool/Herald engine (but I'm sure SheCantSayNo would disagree with me ;) ).

I'd open Silver/Cutpurse (or Mountebank/nothing on 5-2). I'd get a couple of Mountebanks ASAP, and then I'd play BM the rest of the way. Am I being naive here?

Probably not, but I feel like someone awesomer than me can come up with some sort of SP-driven engine that draws everything, Graverobs stuff into other stuff, then draws it, then uses it, eventually just graverobbing the same Mountebank into 7 provinces on turn 11 while destroying all known universes.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile

I feel like someone awesomer than me can come up with some sort of SP-driven engine that draws everything

Yeah.  Maybe there is some crazy engine here, but to me it looks like a Mountebank slog that is going to three pile without many Provinces being purchased.
Well you *do* need a signature...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile

Farmland can be support for fool's gold but it is going to be far too weak against a mountebank. The junk will prevent all the clever tricks with market square too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:46:43 pm by DG »

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile

It's been said, but the extra junk and no way to get rid of it kills you. With 8 Fool's Gold in even a 20 card deck, you should only expect to get 2 FG in a hand of 5 cards. With 8 FG in a 40+ card deck (like you wind up with), you should definitely not expect them to collide "all the time".

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile

I feel like someone awesomer than me can come up with some sort of SP-driven engine that draws everything

Yeah.  Maybe there is some crazy engine here, but to me it looks like a Mountebank slog that is going to three pile without many Provinces being purchased.
There's no crazy engine here, but because it's a slog, you may have time to try and build one with Scrying Pool.
That's what I'd do probably, get to Mountebank and then start building against the junk. Death Cart could be crucial to give you the money you need for some Provinces.

This could 3-pile with Curses gone, so I'd be looking to grab some Great Halls just to grab a lead looking at a 3rd pile (Duchy or Herald or something).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.