Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Achievement unlocked: maxing the feodum  (Read 3495 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Achievement unlocked: maxing the feodum
« on: March 15, 2014, 02:22:41 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
University, Market Square, Masterpiece, Workshop, Baron, Feodum, Rats, Smithy, Tactician, Goons
My opponent goes for a goons/tactician/university/smithy engine because he fails to notice the masterpiece/feodum combo. 

I don't miss it. 

After he notices it, he decides it is too late to try a mirror, and plugs along with his strategy.  Unfortunately for him, my feodum get up to 13 VPs each.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Achievement unlocked: maxing the feodum
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:50:42 pm »

I actually think I personally would have gone for the engine here.  I would have built up more, gotten, I don't know, maybe five goons in play with more buys, and gotten more points.  I think if he hadn't started getting points sooner he could have won.  The one thing against it is no trashing.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:14:33 pm »
+3

I actually think I personally would have gone for the engine here.  I would have built up more, gotten, I don't know, maybe five goons in play with more buys, and gotten more points.  I think if he hadn't started getting points sooner he could have won.  The one thing against it is no trashing.
And no village besides University. So... let me try to do the math, if you have five goons, one potion, one silver, 10 start cards you get to 17. Let's say you do your mega turn with tactician, then you start with 10 cards and 2 actions. So you need another 3 universities to get to 5 actions. But then you have 10 more cards to draw. Additing one smithy and one university makes you effectively draw one more card, so you need 10 of both. That makes 13 universities, 10 smithies, 5 goons and a tactician... to draw your whole deck. That's obviously impossible, so you have to go for smaller turns with just two or three goons. But then you can't make points with them because that would junk your deck. So... no, I don't think an engine is strong enough here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »

No trashing is huge when your main village doesn't draw. And Tactician is a very good Masterpiece enabler.

I don't think I would've gotten a Baron in this game, Smithy is a lot better in a deck that's bloated with Silver. OTOH your deck wasn't bloated with Silver when you got it, but still, I think I would have preferred it in the long run.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »

And no village besides University. So... let me try to do the math, if you have five goons, one potion, one silver, 10 start cards you get to 17. Let's say you do your mega turn with tactician, then you start with 10 cards and 2 actions. So you need another 3 universities to get to 5 actions. But then you have 10 more cards to draw. Additing one smithy and one university makes you effectively draw one more card, so you need 10 of both. That makes 13 universities, 10 smithies, 5 goons and a tactician... to draw your whole deck. That's obviously impossible, so you have to go for smaller turns with just two or three goons. But then you can't make points with them because that would junk your deck. So... no, I don't think an engine is strong enough here.

It might be possible if you get rats, convert estates +2 coppers into rats and then in megaturn use rats to eat coppers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 06:46:09 pm »

It might be possible if you get rats, convert estates +2 coppers into rats and then in megaturn use rats to eat coppers.

And then you have a deck full of Rats instead of Coppers.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:53:47 pm »

I disagree with this. There's simply too much potential for + buy. Market Square gives an absurd amount of points when combined with Goons. Even with just 3 three goons you can get upwards of 40 VP chips in one turn. With four that goes up to 60, which can be combined with buying points. I think the engine is going to win here 5/6 times.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:06:53 pm »

I disagree with this. There's simply too much potential for + buy. Market Square gives an absurd amount of points when combined with Goons. Even with just 3 three goons you can get upwards of 40 VP chips in one turn. With four that goes up to 60, which can be combined with buying points. I think the engine is going to win here 5/6 times.
His opponent got a triple Goons turn, even though he didn't have all of his Market Squares that turn, thanks to all of the Coppers he gained, he never managed to play multiple Goons in a single turn again.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:21:05 pm »

Its a goons megaturn. In goons megaturn you end game on three piles and deck composition after that is irrelevant. Here you may even end game by getting all market squares, rats (easy when a pile is empty) and buying all curses.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 03:54:32 am »

Its a goons megaturn. In goons megaturn you end game on three piles and deck composition after that is irrelevant. Here you may even end game by getting all market squares, rats (easy when a pile is empty) and buying all curses.
With an engine you can pull off on this board, a single megaturn is pretty much impossible. You need multiple turns with multiple Goons.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.