Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: YACI: Yet another crazy idea for a fan card(s).  (Read 2208 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
YACI: Yet another crazy idea for a fan card(s).
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »
+1

This is a kingdom supply pile where each card is different, like the knights. Each is an inheritance from a dead relative. They're obviously very experimental, but I wanted to see what people think (besides a distaste I'm sure some people will have for certain unorthidox mechanics).

Unlike other kingdom card piles, the inheritance pile is kept face down so you don't know which one you're getting. They all cost $5, and all of them get trashed after being used. Almost all of them give you a VP token when you play them and are worth 1 VP themselves, so you get that 1VP whether or not you get a chance to play it (as long as it doesn't get trashed another way).
There are 12 because they are victory cards. In a 2-player game, the players may decide which four Inheritance cards to leave out.

Uncle Zed
Trash this. Gain any number of action cards with total cost up to $8. +1VP.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Ted & Uncle Ched  (Two cards which are the same.)
Trash this. Gain a Gold. +1VP.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Ned
Trash this. Gain a province and a copper.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Ed & Aunt Edna  (Two cards which are the same.)
+1 Action. Trash this. Gain any action card. If it costs less than $5, you may put it in your hand. +1VP.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Jed
Trash this. Gain a Harem (whether or not there are Harems in the Kingdom), putting it into your hand.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Bread
+$6, +1 buy. Trash this. +1VP. You may not buy more than one victory card this turn.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Fred
Trash this. +4VP.
Worth 2 VP.

Uncle Dread
You may trash one other card from your hand or discard pile. Each other player gains a curse and a ruins. If anyone gains a curse or ruins, trash this and +1 VP.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Red
Trash this. Gain an attack card and play it now. If the gained attack card costs less than $5, also gain any card costing up to $3. +1VP.
Worth 1 VP.

Uncle Thread
+$1. +1VP. Additional +$1 each turn for seven turns or until game ends. If you had more than 3 turns left on this duration when the game ends, +1VP. Keep this card in play until the end of the seven turns or end of the game, then trash it.
Worth 1 VP.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:37:53 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: YACI: Yet another crazy idea for a fan card(s).
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:58 am »
+1

I like the idea. While it's not very typical for Dominion because it's so wacky, i think the theme is fun as are most of the ideas.

I'd replace the one with Harem though, and if just because not every player who owns physical Dominion owns Harem (unless the cards come with an additional Harem).

I'd also replace the 7-turn duration, because it's very hard to keep track of. Adding tokens or something like this just for one card seems like overdoing it, honestly.

Also they are not balanced that well, but maybe that's the idea. I'd maybe consider giving some of them more standard VPs, so you have to decide whether you really want to play them. Could even out the cards a bit if you want to do that.

Edit: Typo.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:31:42 am by Asper »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Re: YACI: Yet another crazy idea for a fan card(s).
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:43:24 am »

I like the idea. While it's not very typical for Dominion because it's so wacky, i think the theme is fun as are most of the ideas.

I'd replace the one with Harem though, and if just because not every player who owns physical Dominion owns Harem (unless the cards come with an additional Harem).
It's would be just as easy to make a homemade Harem card as it would be to make the rest of the inheritance cards if anyone else ever uses them. How would unpublished cards come with anything?

I'd also replace the 7-turn duration, because it's very hard to keep track of. Adding tokens or something like this just for one card seems like overdoing it, honestly.
Tally the turns with paper and pencil?  I've already established that these use unorthodox mechanics...

Also they are not balanced that well, but maybe that's the idea. I'd maybe consider giving some of them more standard VPs, so you have to decide whether you really want to play them. Could even out the cards a bit if you want to do that.
Balance is mainly what I could use help with because I want to use them at home. They're not supposed to be completely even with each other, but I don't want them to be too far off and it's hard to tell which ones are significantly weaker or stronger than others.
I realized that Uncle Jed and Uncle Fred give the same amount of VP, but Jed also gives you what amounts to a silver in addition to the VP. Maybe I'll change Uncle Jed to gain the Harem into your hand and remove its additional +1VP.
Is Uncle Ned too strong despite the copper drawback? I'm having kindof a hard time comparing them to each other for balance. Which would you suggest adding standard VPs to to make someone consider not playing it?  I wouldn't want to do that with more than one or two of them because they're meant to be played to gain the inheritance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:47:29 am by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.