Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38  All

Author Topic: NewMafia V : House of Cards (Game Over : Mafia Wins !)  (Read 100774 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: NewMafia V : House of Cards (Day 1)
« Reply #325 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »

does no one think shaeye is scummy for how persistent in trying to get me lynched he is?

Yes and no. Yes because, well, it definitely seems that way.
No, because, well, why in the world would scum go all-in on a lynch like that?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 30, 2014, 11:07:01 pm »

OK, I'm back to shraeye is probably town. So...yeah, let's lynch mcmc.

vote: mcmc

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 30, 2014, 11:08:41 pm »

Shraeye recent attack on Adk still feels to me like he's trying to force lynches and make as many people look scummy as he can as opposed to lookin at interactions a simply trying to figure out if players are scummy or towny.

I will reread tomorow and see if i think adk/faust are a good lynch.

does no one think shaeye is scummy for how persistent in trying to get me lynched he is?
Case in point.  Mcmc is still not defending a single thing.  However he is appealing to the fact that my bullheadedness in his lynch is scummy.  Even though his argument yesterday was that I was trying to make as many people as possible be scummy.  Those two thoughts that he is ascribing to me are incongruous. 

I'm bullheaded.  I'm persistent.  That's not scummy, it's who shraeye is.  It does not change the fact that I'm right.  And I'm right.  As I said to Robz before...I'm ON in terms of mafia reads.  I believe fully in this lynch.  I want mcmc's head.

Well in that case. . .
Those would be very strong statements for scum to make. Statements that I don't think scum would make. Town read on Shraeye. I'm not as sold on mcmc as you (I think ADK, or even faust to a lesser degree) would also be good lynches today.

I guess what I'm concerned about is if you are both town. In my first game, Ash was so, so sure that faust was scum, and he wasn't. So I guess the worst possible outcome that I can see is both you and mcmc are town. In which case this is just a huge distraction that will probably end in both your deaths.

However, although I still see mcmc's frustration as townie (I think). I can't deny that his lynch will give us a ton of information.

PPE: 2

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 30, 2014, 11:12:22 pm »

Ichi strikes me as scum if shraeye/mcmc/adk are all town.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2014, 11:22:30 pm »

Ichi strikes me as scum if shraeye/mcmc/adk are all town.

I must say there's a part of me that sees you as town, simply because you are so great at playing town. However, that's not a logical assumption on my part.

If what you said were the case that would leave. (random order)

Ichimaru Gin
Wandering Winder
Delerious Deleuze
Voltaire
Nik
faust

So who would my scum partner be? faust?
Also, I can understand if this is just an important to get your reads down now if you happen to get killed tonight (something I remember Shraeye talking about earlier).

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 30, 2014, 11:29:16 pm »

Yep, that's why I'm doing it. Especially D1, this game is all about if/then statements. If all those players are town, through interactions I find you much scummier than most players. And yes, of the players left, DD, Nik, or faust could all be your partners. Yes, faust especially. But I don't necessarily think that's the likeliest scenario. At this point I'm 100% willing to sheep shraeye, hence my return to mcmc.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 30, 2014, 11:32:03 pm »

Well I don't see any other lynch happening than mcmc. vote: mcmc

And that's L-2

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 31, 2014, 02:17:01 am »

Vote Count 1.10:

mcmcsalot (3): shraeye, Voltaire, Ichimaru Gin
A Drowned Kernel (1) : Delirious Deleuze
faust (1): Nik
Ichimaru Gin (1): faust
shraeye (1): mcmcsalot
Voltaire (1): A Drowned Kernel

Not Voting (1): Witherweaver

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Day 1 ends at 12:00 p.m. on April 1, 2014 (in ~34 hours).

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 31, 2014, 06:49:34 am »

After reading Shraeye's anylasis, I'm gonna Unvote. Vote: Mcmcsalot.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 31, 2014, 07:02:00 am »

I still like my vote on Ichimaru. His case on DeDe was constructed, and now he brings up a conspiracy theory. I find it quite unlikely that mcmc and shraeye are scum together, and even if they are, I wouldn't think they staged this fight.

Why does that make him scummy? Town is paranoid everyone is scum. I see nothing suspicious about him seeing the fight as scum v scum. In fact, it gave me a town read on him.

I do think you're scummy faust - nice try. I think you're doing a good job of not getting a terrible amount of pressure while still being present on D1, a classic scum position.

Seeing the fight as scum vs scum gives Ichimaru a reason to vote for either of them, which he may want if both are town and exposing themselves like this.

Tell me, how did I manage to not get pressure? I am trying to contribute, yes. It is not my fault that noone has pressured me yet. Should I act scummy to get some pressure so that I don't look scummy? That just makes no sense.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:47 am »

Ok. I'm back. Wow, much stronger scum read on ADK and mcmc.

I am interested by the people who decided to jump on the bandwagon of my "conspiracy theory", which is basically Nik sheeping ADK, and then changing his mind. Although I do admit that the self-aware "that scum!" joke is pretty townie.

I think it is also important to look at the way my behavior was first described by ADK as a "conspiracy theory" which is then a term that everyone else decides to use--creating a connotation with my behavior because of the label used to describe it--something I view as a blatant scum tactic. (I think I may have also used it, but my point still stands).

Reads:

scummy: faust, ADK, mcmc (I would be happy to lynch one of these today, and I think we should)

null: witherweaver, delirious deleuze

town: Volt, Shraeye, Nik?,

I won't be able to post a ton today, as I have heavy homework demands, but I am going to

vote: mcmc

That is L-2 I think. Nik voted for me, then revoted mcmc, and Shraeye's vote was already on mcmc.

Much OMGUS in this post, I think. I would like for you to specify why you have the reads you state here (if you did this already, sorry; I'm not yet finished rereading).

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 31, 2014, 07:09:13 am »

In that case I will unvote

The way Ichi goes back and forth with putting mcmc at L-1 is most interesting.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 31, 2014, 07:11:46 am »

Okay, then, suppose we lynch McMc and it's revealed he's town.

How do we react to that?

What does this post accomplish? Is this an attempt to manipulate us into making the assumption that mcmc is town? Why did you ask that question?

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2014, 07:12:46 am »

Umm...I'm sorry, what does L-1 mean? Also, what does Ichi have to do with me unvoting?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2014, 07:15:36 am »

How do we react to that?

If mcmc is scum, then ADK deserves a good hard look.  I'm not sure he's at the auto-lynch level of obvious partner that I've seen before.  But he's very high.  If he's town, people need to be very careful of the background characters who opposed the lynch.  You'd be surprised how many scum are those who say "no...don't do it...." about a mislynch, but not seriously try to slow down the lynch or change it.  That is my favorite card to play as scum, because Day2 you can come out loudly against the people on the mislynch wagon and get a lot of traction/credit for it. faust fits this description 100%.

Definitely have a read through day 1 with the knowledge of any flips gained.  It's very helpful to know that a person was definitely scum, or definitely town.  I try to point out connections between players whenever possible, because I expect to typically be an early night-kill.  I used to keep those and try to wait for even more evidence before surprising scum later, but nothing frustrates like going to the grave with an unspoken idea.

I have never argued against an mcmc lynch. I'm not sure yet what to do with him at L-1, but you seem to have a false perception of what I've been doing here.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 31, 2014, 07:21:05 am »

So I just did my first massive re-read of the thread, and I've come away with some thoughts.

First, shraeye and mc: I don't think that I'm comfortable lynching either of them today. Looking back, I think that mc's characteristic of shraeye's question as a "trap", which I initially bought into, is incorrect. shraeye asks a lot of questions, and when he gets satisfactory answers, he accepts (or at least stops talking about them, which I assume is him accepting them). If he was scum looking to trap someone, I think that he would have been a lot quicker to jump on an answer and paint it as scummy for a mislynch.

That said, I think the case on mc is overblown. What the whole case comes down to is, he changed his mind. People change their minds. I think town is more likely to change their minds than scum is, since scum knows what alignment everyone really is and has to keep track of their artificially constructed reads. Yes, he acted abrasively towards shraeye, but I think that's well within his personality.

A couple of people who came off looking slightly scummier than I remembered are Ichi and DeDe, who seem to get very defensive when any suspicion floats their way. Yes, it's to be expected from newbies, but emotion is something that scum relies on, and a newbie scum is just as likely to react emotionally as newbie town.

There's something that DeDe brought up, which is my behavior in previous mafia games. The very first mafia game I played was Super Mario Bros, where mafia won due to a very persuasive and active scum player talking town into a series of mislynches. The whole thing left me very frightened, possibly unreasonably so, of early game mislynches.

All that said, the player who came across scummiest to me on my reread was Voltaire. He puts on a very helpful and reasonable persona, all while hanging back and giving pretty ambivalent reads on everyone. It's only once a number of people are on the mc wagon that he starts backing it up. shraeye's scum read on mc was based on his own thinking, which makes me more inclined to believe that he's mistaken town, while Volt is pushing the wagon long after it's gotten started, and is still hedging his bets with his "I'm not sure he's scum but I'll lynch him anyway."

Vote: Voltaire

I can't really put my finger on it, but this post leaves me with a scummy feeling on ADK. Maybe it's that I find people who try to get Voltaire lynched D1 suspicious. The self-meta argument is also weird and too self-conscious for my liking.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2014, 07:26:52 am »

Umm...I'm sorry, what does L-1 mean? Also, what does Ichi have to do with me unvoting?
Ahh, sorry! I thought you wre talking about my unvoting (I'd said the same thing)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2014, 07:28:03 am »

yea sorry my typing was poor I am a vt(vanilla townie) not a tv

Argh. VT claiming is not a good thing to do. Never. I'm tempted to vote mcmc just for this.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 31, 2014, 07:29:56 am »

I'm going to Vote:Faust. He has been lurking and his posts have little or no content.

Funny. I was going to make a similar remark about you.

Well anyway, sorry for not being too active over the weekend. Note also that I'm in a different timezone than most players here, which makes participating harder. As to my posts having little content, can you give an example?

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 31, 2014, 07:39:41 am »

I'm going to Vote:Faust. He has been lurking and his posts have little or no content.

Funny. I was going to make a similar remark about you.

Well anyway, sorry for not being too active over the weekend. Note also that I'm in a different timezone than most players here, which makes participating harder. As to my posts having little content, can you give an example?
Looking back through the thread, you're right, I still think you're lurking; but your posts do have content, though they are short.
But I've un voted anyway...

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2014, 07:48:03 am »

It is interesting how this doesn't feel like a newbie game at all. Good work, everyone!

After catching up, my reads now look like this:

Ichimaru - still scummy. All my previous points still hold, and he's done nothing to make himself look townie.
mcmc - scummy. The VT claim on top of everything else... let me state again why VT is a horrible claim for town to make: it accomplishes two things: 1) Scum knows who they don't need to lynch. 2) You will never be night killed. Scum loves an excuse for never being night killed. Town has no reason to give scum this information.
ADK - scummy. Mostly a feeling from his latest post. Also isn't very active or memorable, so he doesn't make a bad lynch

Nik - lurking, sheeping and slightly scummy for that. He's the only one here why acts like I would expect a newbie to act though, and this may well come from newbie!town.

Voltaire - null. He's pretty much his normal self, without any standout interactions that lead me to think either way about him. I do want to keep him alive today though.
Witherweaver - null. I don't really get why people find him particularly townie, but didn't see much scummy stuff either.

shraeye - slight town. I think he is making sense and putting strong reads out there and sticking to them. Scum is usually more afraid of such commitment.
DeDe - town. My strongest town read, actually. Posts seem sincere, good activity, not afraid of stating reads... it may be masterful newbie!scum play, but I don't think so.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2014, 07:50:04 am »

Yeah, so I guess I'd like a lynch among Ichi/mcmc/ADK today. mcmc is already claimed and at L-1, so that makes him a good choice.

Intent to hammer mcmc.

I guess I'll give it some time for people to say what they need to say before the day ends.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2014, 07:52:15 am »

How do we react to that?

If mcmc is scum, then ADK deserves a good hard look.  I'm not sure he's at the auto-lynch level of obvious partner that I've seen before.  But he's very high.  If he's town, people need to be very careful of the background characters who opposed the lynch.  You'd be surprised how many scum are those who say "no...don't do it...." about a mislynch, but not seriously try to slow down the lynch or change it.  That is my favorite card to play as scum, because Day2 you can come out loudly against the people on the mislynch wagon and get a lot of traction/credit for it. faust fits this description 100%.

Definitely have a read through day 1 with the knowledge of any flips gained.  It's very helpful to know that a person was definitely scum, or definitely town.  I try to point out connections between players whenever possible, because I expect to typically be an early night-kill.  I used to keep those and try to wait for even more evidence before surprising scum later, but nothing frustrates like going to the grave with an unspoken idea.

I have never argued against an mcmc lynch. I'm not sure yet what to do with him at L-1, but you seem to have a false perception of what I've been doing here.
My point is exactly that you are not actually preventing a mcmc lynch, not actually arguing against it and trying to pull others off.  If mcmc flips town, you are the person who is in the best position to accuse people on the wagon, and appear to do it from a moral high ground.

I want to know what you think about mcmc, and saying that you're not sure yet is sorta weak.  Figure it out.  If it's a good lynch in your eyes, do it.  If it's a bad lynch, well then you'd better explain why.

PPE: I see you have committed on mcmc.  so a scummy guy is at L-1.....what you gonna do?

Double PPE: Hey, and you committed on doing something!  I do think that your process is fairly towny.  At every stage, i was trying to comment on your latest post, and you literally responded to my comment before I even had the chance to make it.  Impressive.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:51 am »

Again, what does L-1 mean?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2014, 08:18:48 am »

Again, what does L-1 mean?
It means that somebody is 1 vote away from being locked in as the lynch.  As soon as somebody reaches 5 votes (in general, it is the smallest integer that is > half the townsize), the day is over, although a brief twilight-period may exist where the thread is still open, and we can still post.  But the lynch has been decided at that point.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.