Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Contraband and Knights  (Read 12140 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Contraband and Knights
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 05:11:22 pm »

(already gave a relevant example with HoP above...)

Edit: OK, not so much an example as a straight up answer. But HoP wouldn't allow you to gain the second Knight after buying the top one.

*ahem*
You certainly did.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:07 pm »

Edit: OK, not so much an example as a straight up answer. But HoP wouldn't allow you to gain the second Knight after buying the top one.

*ahem*
You certainly did.

Retroactive +1, but note that I was bringing it up as a response to heron's assertion rather than the general challenge. :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »

Ah, that is a good point.  Still, there are times when you might want your opponent to buy the top Knight or two, so long as she doesn't get that critical Knight who you care most about.  Maybe your opponent just played a few Highways or Quarries and has that spare buy from Contraband.  You block Sir Martin since the buys are so valuable on this Highway board -- Contraband being the only other +buy -- and are perfectly happy with her buying the top Knight, thus exposing Sir Martin for you to snatch up next turn.

In a 2P game and from a game theory point of view (assuming equal skills in deck tracking), it is always better or equal to forbid a strictly larger subset of options to the opponent, so this is not a scenario in which you need to forbid a non-top Knight.

Maybe if you assume perfect play, but allowing your opponent to buy the top Knight in hopes that he does, even if he'd be better off not doing so, is legitimate strategy. You can't assume your opponent will play optimally.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 08:37:38 am »

*ahem*
You certainly did.

Retroactive +1, but note that I was bringing it up as a response to heron's assertion rather than the general challenge. :P

I just found it remarkable how people seemed to believe it more when you posted it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:59 am »

*ahem*
You certainly did.

I just found it remarkable how people seemed to believe it more when you posted it.

It wasn't a matter of believing it.  eHalcyon responded with it later in response to a more narrowly framed challenge than the challenge you responded to.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 08:58:23 am »

*ahem*
You certainly did.

It wasn't a matter of believing it.  eHalcyon responded with it later in response to a more narrowly framed challenge than the challenge you responded to.

I was going to write how this isn't true, but then i noticed i was behaving like a dick. Probably from the beginning. Sorry eHalcyon.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:39 pm »
+1

Nah, no problem.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:51 am »
+4

If a player plays a Contraband, and is prohibited from buying the top knight (eg he names Sir Michael), and then gains that Knight through other means (Haggler, Horn of Plenty, Black Market), is he then allowed to buy the next Knight in the pile (eg Dame Anna), as it isn't the card named for Contraband?
Black Market isn't an example but yes. Same for Ruins.
Challenge: post a log in which you succesfully deny your opponent a critical Ruin by naming one that was not on top.
At least you can always name Ruined Market because that's the only Ruins that can ever be critical.

I'm one point ahead, 2 piles gone and 3 ruins left.
My hand is rather disappointing: 3 green cards, Contraband and a Horn of Plenty. (you know this due to Cutpurse)

Now it's up to you to guess either one of the bottom two ruins.
ok, it's not a log, but I can imagine it actually happens.
Join the Dominion League!

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 05:35:36 pm »

Why would you play Contraband here? You could play HOP to gain one Ruin, then buy the other Ruin. Maybe if you were forced to play the Contraband due to Venture--but even then, why wouldn't the opponent just guess the top Ruin?

Maybe I misunderstood the question, though.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »

Why would you play Contraband here? You could play HOP to gain one Ruin, then buy the other Ruin. Maybe if you were forced to play the Contraband due to Venture--but even then, why wouldn't the opponent just guess the top Ruin?

Maybe I misunderstood the question, though.

There's three Ruins left; you need HoP to gain one, and the +buy from Contraband to get the other two.  Maybe you've seen nine other copies of the top Ruin already (it's a 3+ player game), so you know not to name it because then they just gain it with HoP and buy the other two.  So you have to guess one of the other four Ruins to name.

dominion123

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 05:58:32 am »

How do you name a card that is not on top of a pile? (on goko)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 09:16:28 am »
+1

How do you name a card that is not on top of a pile? (on goko)
There's a button that displays all cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.675 seconds with 20 queries.