Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition: $3 cards  (Read 62514 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition: $3 cards
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2014, 03:22:22 am »

On the boards it is useful, it is usually just average.
This is just… not true. A card that can turn a strategy that buy a province each turn, into one that can double-province each turn without being destroyed too hard by the greening… is not "just average".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2014, 06:04:36 am »

This is just… not true. A card that can turn a strategy that buy a province each turn, into one that can double-province each turn without being destroyed too hard by the greening… is not "just average".
Well, Council Room can do that, too, and it is much better at it and still definitely "just average".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:08 am »

Well, Council Room can do that, too, and it is much better at it and still definitely "just average".
Council Room also costs $5 and benefits your opponent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2014, 07:20:42 am »

I took that into account.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

I took that into account.
Seems really tough to compare a $3 sifter (and discarder for $1 each) to a $5 drawer.
Besides, I think, Council Room is a strong card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2014, 02:07:43 pm »

Seems really tough to compare a $3 sifter (and discarder for $1 each) to a $5 drawer.
Besides, I think, Council Room is a strong card.
Council Room is a strong card, but a lot of $5 cards are stronger. And there isn't a $3 +buy giving drawer (which is, as I said earlier, a reason to buy Storeroom sometimes if you happen to hit $3), so I made a comparison with Council Room, which fills the same role in an engine as Storeroom does (+buy and +cards), but is stronger relative to its cost while still being a pretty average $5 card.

7string

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 7string
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:45 am »

Reflections and lessons learned on $3 cards.

(see my comments on the $1-$2 cards for my process of analyzing my rankings versus the new 2014 consensus rankings)
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10578.msg368900#msg368900

I did not have as many exact ranking matches as with the $1-$2 cards…I only had 4 exact matches out of the 34 cards.

My most overrated cards were near the bottom.  I ranked both Great Hall and Woodcutter 5 and 6 spots higher respectively.  I don’t think either of them are great cards, but there are other cards I have just never been fond of which I ranked a little lower.  Some of those I have changed my mind on after reading the comments, so both of these would be a little lower if I rated them now.

My most underrated card was Lookout followed by Masterpiece.  I have never been much of a Lookout fan due to using it in situations where I was forced to trash a good card (probably my own mistake for playing too late in the game).  I will remember to consider it if no other trashers are available (and obviously for Sea Hag games).  Masterpiece I have completely rethought thanks to the comments, and I would definitely rank it quite a bit higher now.

Other than Lookout and Masterpiece, my biggest lesson learned had to be Hermit/Madman.  I had just not played that card/combo enough, but after playing the Hermit/Market Square combo a couple times, my eyes are now open to its possibilities!

Where I still differ…not too much in the $3 cards.  I’m still not sure about Masquerade in the #1 spot (I had Ambassador there), but am using it a lot more now.  I probably still think Watchtower, Scheme and Tunnel should be a bit higher.  But again…you all have me thinking…
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:51:35 am by 7string »

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:00 am »

It's over a year ago that I looked at this list, and now, there is one HUGE thing terrifying me: Why is urchin so low? I'd put it in top 3, close to masq and amb, even ahead of fishing village, which is excellent. But really, if you buy vanilla villages instead of fishing villages, you are less likely to lose than if you open with, say, multiple lookouts instead of urchins. Mostly, urchin is a must-buy, at least I think so.

Does anyone agree, or do I miss something?

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2015, 10:02:48 am »

Urchin should be lower than Steward, though, as Steward is faster than Mercenary, which in 95% of the time is the reason you get Urchins.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2015, 10:09:37 am »

The power of Urchin was not well understood at the time this list was made.  It is virtually guaranteed to shoot up the ranking next list.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:44 am »

Hopefully the next one will be soon.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 1.854 seconds with 20 queries.