Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The disappearance of Big Money  (Read 12736 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
The disappearance of Big Money
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:19:30 pm »
+3

I see this mentioned a lot nowadays, that Big Money is becoming less and less common, engines are now viable on more and more boards etc. All I can really ask is the simplest question: Why?

Is it to do with the newer expansions (Dark Ages and Guilds) having more cards which regularly enable engines far more than old sets (and with those two expansions covering close to 1/4 of the card pool, they'll often appear)? Or is it more related to the top level players simply getting more and more experienced at building engines in places people would have never thought it possible, and finding they're able to beat big money approaches more and more? Those would be my top two guesses, but what else is causing it? I haven't played much Dominion since Dark Ages came out (perhaps roughly 100-200 or so games, many of which were against the AI) so I'm not so experienced with the cards in those sets, nor the strategic development of the metagame (if you can call it as such).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: The disappearance of Big Money
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:27:31 pm »
+5

It's mostly those two things.

I mean, the premiere Big Money enablers still allow very good player to beat decent-and-below players. But now the top, top amazing players can pretty much always execute a just outstanding engine that can beat very good Big Money.

On top of that, Dark Ages basically added a bunch of cards that weaken Big Money, and only a few that help it (Rebuild, Scavenger, and Feodum were WW's suggestions, and I agree). The biggest blow to Big Money might actually be the major weakening of Junking attacks, which is something of a Dark Ages phenomenon. DA added several very top notch trashers that more than hold their own against Junkers. You can't just say, "Eh, I'm going Witch/BM," nearly as often as you used to. Forager, Junk Dealer, Count, and Hermit all have something to say about that--in addition to the fact that top players better understand the power of Upgrade, Remake et al, now.

Guilds follows the same trend, and between the two, they have added 2 excellent enginey villages (Minstrel and Plaza), and the coin token dynamic, which also makes you want to engine (because coin tokens allow you to store up money, delaying Greening).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:51 pm »
+2

But Catacombs

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:20:52 pm »
+7

I have a conspiracy theory involving onigame's set generator.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »

The later expansions have more trashing and fewer terminals. Play with the base set and you'll get the same games that you used to do.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:36:35 pm »
+1

Maybe it's because Big Money just isn't that much fun to play.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:46:29 pm »

I also tend to see a lower concentration of big draw cards (eg: library, smithy, council room, torturer).  Sure, Dark ages added Hunting Grounds and Catacombs, and guilds has journeyman, but they added so many other cards that are more geared towards the engine and not the BM.  So for me, I just see fewer boards with the necessary draw to go BM

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »
+10

Maybe it's because Big Money just isn't that much fun to play.

I love a board with a healthy number of useful terminals and no villages. I think they are more likely to have interesting strategic decisions, the turns are shorter which makes it feel more like I am playing rather than watching, and the games don't last very long so I get to see the outcome and move on to the next game quickly. I don't have any desire to play another Hamlet engine ever again.

The only thing that bores me more than a tedious engine mirror is playing my non-engine deck vs. a tedious engine, so maybe you're onto something, but for me at least, engines are not more fun (in general).

I also tend to see a lower concentration of big draw cards (eg: library, smithy, council room, torturer).  Sure, Dark ages added Hunting Grounds and Catacombs, and guilds has journeyman, but they added so many other cards that are more geared towards the engine and not the BM.  So for me, I just see fewer boards with the necessary draw to go BM

Really though, the draw cards also favor engines, even if they also have ok BM strategies. I think they always have, but the support cards are generally better now, so you build the engine because your draw can actually be used consistently thanks to Forager/Wandering Minstrel/Whatever.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:07 am »

Dominion with all engines and no BM is like painting in blue and white with all blue and no white.  Whether or not blue is your favorite color.

I'll never convince anyone of it, but I think the "pay an action - rebate" system is a flaw that keeps BM dead draw from being as interesting as it could be. BM decks based on a nondrawing terminal like Merchant Ship are free to mix in nonterminals, and use sifters to swap between terminals and plenty other cool stuff.  Then instead of handling collisions with village smithy stack you have options like Haven, trash for benefit, etc.  Or Walled Village, that card Google invented.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 01:25:27 am »

BM boards still exist. They just aren't as common. Sometimes, you even get a BM/engine hybrid board where neither strategy is the best and going for something in-between is the correct call. I played a board like that not too long ago.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:28:54 am »
+1

Masterpiece makes BM a viable (and interesting) alternative to an engine quite often.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 02:51:27 am »
+2

The later expansions have more trashing and fewer terminals. Play with the base set and you'll get the same games that you used to do.

I did this at the end of isotropic with a sample size of 2 against my brother, and can't confirm.

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:41:29 am »
+2

The different starting hands of DA favouring engines haven't been mentioned yet i think.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:31 am »
+8

I think this shift is almost exclusively about people getting better at dominion.
'it's the new sets' is just a very understandable excuse from people that don't want to admit they used to be wrong.

For me personally, the percentage of boards I try to build an engine hasn't significantly increased with dark ages / guilds. In fact, it decreased 2 years ago when I met the online community. I played a lot of games before that with base/intrigue, but I never figured out on my own why you would actually *want* a Gardens or Duke in your own deck. We just used to laugh when Swindler allowed us to put one of those over-sized curses into opponents deck. Off course I was wrong too back then, but not by that much. At no point in Dominion history BigMoney has been good at more then 30% of the boards.
Join the Dominion League!

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:02:30 am »

Also as people like to say that trashing has gotten better with expansions: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Chapel

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 07:05:14 am »
+1

Also as people like to say that trashing has gotten better with expansions: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Chapel
Chapel has gotten better with expansions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 07:08:51 am »
+1

I love a board with a healthy number of useful terminals and no villages. I think they are more likely to have interesting strategic decisions, the turns are shorter which makes it feel more like I am playing rather than watching, and the games don't last very long so I get to see the outcome and move on to the next game quickly. I don't have any desire to play another Hamlet engine ever again.

The only thing that bores me more than a tedious engine mirror is playing my non-engine deck vs. a tedious engine, so maybe you're onto something, but for me at least, engines are not more fun (in general).

I can only agree. While building engines and making them soar can be a lot of fun and practise of your skill, short games where you have to choose between several good terminals can be just as interesting. And sometimes, simple Big Money is great because the game is so much faster.

I started playing Dominion with Intrigue, and then Hinterlands and Dark Ages. I did not play with the Base Set IRL until a friend bought it and we used only base cards so as not to scare off his sister from her first game with too complicated cards. My friend and I bought Lab and TR and stuff, built engines... and nearly forgot to buy any money. So we drew our whole decks and my friend at least had $8 every time - until my sister Thief'd his only Gold. She won^^
I knew Big Money was the original dominating strategy in Dominion in the beginning, but I never bothered with it until recently. So yeah, Dark Ages really wants you to do crazy stuff, anything but BM really. If you haven't played Base Set only in a long time (or ever) - try it out. It's a whole different experience ;)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:49:24 am »
+4

Toddlers stop crawling as they learn to walk.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »
+6

It's not like it can't be a combination of things, both the changing card pool as well as increasing player skill. It's idiotic to imply that non-engine strategies are for children though, since they can be quite complex and difficult to master.

Anyone who claims that engines were as strong in the Base set as they are now is kidding themselves, but it does ratchet up quickly with the first few expansions.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:38 pm »

Anyone who claims that engines were as strong in the Base set as they are now is kidding themselves, but it does ratchet up quickly with the first few expansions.

Didn't want to imply this, just that the usual board in Base is more than enough to play an engine when you know how you can exploit it.

Of course there are much meaner attack after Base that strengthen engines, and more exploding payloads like Bridge, HoP, Goons etc.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:26 am »

Some boards really don't like engines.  Here's a game where i beat Stef playing ironmonger/money http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140319/log.50b20dc3e4b0c9ce0cf27eb3.1395257116796.txt  so it's rare, but it does happen.  (On this board, I wonder how different it would have been if he'd gotten a marauder earlier...  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we both played this one badly...)

Here's another (same run of a few games) where the only village is ironmonger/city, no gains (city), and no attacks (thief). http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140319/log.50b20dc3e4b0c9ce0cf27eb3.1395244802811.txt

I think in both cases, my focused BM play and unimaginative choices helped me win.

More often than not, tho, I lose to stronger players when I go for money.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 04:27:56 am »
+2

Maybe our definition of BM is shifting as well and maybe there are just more and more support cards that don't really classify as BM enablers, but just all-around utility cards.

There are a lot of games where I build neither an engine nor a classic BM deck, but something in between. And it may have to do with players getting better. $6 is no longer an automatic Gold for me, I try and judge every card for its worth as good as I can which often leads me to getting something other than Silver or Gold.

I'm really trying to get away from that polarized thinking and the strategies that I derive from it and make every decision situational. Maybe this why I've finally cracked the 6000-barrier again, man that was harder than it was a couple of months ago. :)

And I agree with Stef, I don't think the number of engine boards has gone up all that much with the latest expansions, it's just that we the players are continuously getting better and better.

Look at it this way: Say a board has Butcher on it, so you could go Butcher-BM. Almost every time there will be at least one other action card of interest. Are you still playing Butcher-BM in that case? What if you add two other action cards, three, etc...?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 05:21:24 am »

Look at it this way: Say a board has Butcher on it, so you could go Butcher-BM. Almost every time there will be at least one other action card of interest. Are you still playing Butcher-BM in that case? What if you add two other action cards, three, etc...?
As long as your strategy is mostly based on Treasure cards and not, for example, drawing your deck every turn or buying Victory cards early and ending the game on three piles or triggering Market Squares with your Butchers and Butchering the Golds to Provinces, you're playing BM.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:34 pm »
+1

I've been trying to work out a 'trick' board that looks like it should have something interesting to play but secretly Big Money-X is the dominant strategy (where BM-X is defined as buying only standard Treasures, standard VP cards and any number of one other Kingdom card).

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
+5

I've been trying to work out a 'trick' board that looks like it should have something interesting to play but secretly Big Money-X is the dominant strategy (where BM-X is defined as buying only standard Treasures, standard VP cards and any number of one other Kingdom card).

Much looking forward to falling for your trap and beating you with it anyway ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.