Author Topic: Greed  (Read 7665 times)

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Greed
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:05 pm »

I browsed on kickstarter, and I saw the game Greed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/greed

It is a new game designed by Donald X. It looks interesting!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Greed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

I thought this was going to be the board game version of the TV game show. I would have been so excited, I used to love that show!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »

I browsed on kickstarter, and I saw the game Greed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/greed

It is a new game designed by Donald X. It looks interesting!

I decided to back that Kickstarter. It's the second one I've backed, the first being Gauntlet of Fools.

I found out about Greed because I'm subscribed to Donald X.'s posts on BGG. Once I saw it, I thought, "What other Donald X. games have been announced/released without my knowledge? So I decided to browse through his linked games and found Piņa Pirata, theoretically released this month. I usually hate Uno-type games, but I'm interested in one that uses the "Donald X. Variety Mechanic", as I call it. In this case, there are 41 tiles, each with a rule that changes the gameplay. You start the game with two of these rules active, and one gets added after each hand. From what I can gather, the game ends once one player has won four hands.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:13:08 pm »

The theme doesn't really grab me and the art is not my taste.  Even so, I was curious about the mechanics.  Does anybody know anything more about this game?  After watching the long video from Queens Games, it still strikes me as a relatively generic card drafting game.  What makes it special?  Is there a "variety mechanic"?

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »

The theme doesn't really grab me and the art is not my taste.  Even so, I was curious about the mechanics.  Does anybody know anything more about this game?  After watching the long video from Queens Games, it still strikes me as a relatively generic card drafting game.  What makes it special?  Is there a "variety mechanic"?
In the Updates-tab of the Kickstarter you can find the full game rules.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »

In the Updates-tab of the Kickstarter you can find the full game rules.

Ahh, cool.  I will definitely be checking that out.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:42 am »
+1

Well, it looks like you only use 12 cards per player from a pool of 80 cards, so I suppose each game will have different cards. But since you don't know what the cards are before the game starts, I wouldn't say it has a classic Donald X. variety mechanic, like Dominion, Kingdom Builder, Nefarious, etc. have.

I've never played 7 Wonders or any other card-drafting game, so I guess it'll be a new mechanic for me. Seems interesting enough. After three great games, I'm mostly willing to buy whatever Donald designs, although I haven't yet picked up Infiltration. I did just order Monster Factory today, before it becomes super expensive and hard to find. My son is only 7 months old now, but I'm guessing it'll make a better first game than Candyland.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:57:50 am »
+2

Well, it looks like you only use 12 cards per player from a pool of 80 cards, so I suppose each game will have different cards. But since you don't know what the cards are before the game starts, I wouldn't say it has a classic Donald X. variety mechanic, like Dominion, Kingdom Builder, Nefarious, etc. have.

I've never played 7 Wonders or any other card-drafting game, so I guess it'll be a new mechanic for me. Seems interesting enough. After three great games, I'm mostly willing to buy whatever Donald designs, although I haven't yet picked up Infiltration. I did just order Monster Factory today, before it becomes super expensive and hard to find. My son is only 7 months old now, but I'm guessing it'll make a better first game than Candyland.

You should definitely give 7 Wonders a try, or Among the Stars if you have access to that.  Both are very good.  If you are up for it, you could probably even join a PBF 7 Wonders game here.  I really like 7 Wonders as a game that can support a large number of players (up to 7, as the name implies) without it taking significantly longer.  It's also interesting as a game that can be played relatively casually, but also has surprising depth (more so at lower player counts).  The only other card drafting game I really know of is Fairy Tale, which is supposed to be very good as well.  Never played it though.

As for Greed, Donald X. just answered a question about it!

Can you explain (or link to somewhere else) what's fresh about Greed, why we should buy it or support the kickstarter campaign?
I made Greed in 2003. It was very sad when 7 Wonders was announced; I immediately got the publisher that was going to take months to make a decision to send Greed back to me, so I could give it to another publisher that wouldn't play it. A key lesson there is, just say "btw someone else will be looking at this too" and let them keep it.

I have never played 7 Wonders but I am sure Greed will always be compared to it. In Greed you have a hand of 3 cards - you draft for 2 turns, then draft/play for 10 turns. So you can plan for the future; you can take something early that you won't play until late, although hand space is precious. It's a game of interacting rules on cards; you can see examples on the kickstarter page. So uh you get combos, you know. I don't think that's so much what goes on in 7 Wonders.

Greed is in some ways the quintessential Donald X. game - not among my published games, but among all of my games. It's a card game with interacting rules on cards; it lasts 30-40 minutes; we all make decisions at the same time. That is me all over.

I think Greed will go over well with uh the strategy-game-fans among Dominion players, like you people. It might be too much for the more casual Dominion players, the people who play with their parents or kids. I mean turn one, read 12 cards, turn two, read 11 cards, that's a lot to ask.

The kickstarter is just promotional, and had a tiny funding level it instantly reached; it doesn't need support. There is no reason not to wait for reviews. It should be out at Origins.

The combo idea does sound interesting, so I'll definitely be looking into it a bit more. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:04:46 am »
+3

Right, Greed has variety the way say Race for the Galaxy does, rather than Dominion. You pursue different strategies based on what cards come up and what people decide to go for. It seemed novel when I made it ;_;

Monster Factory doubles as a toy; you can just make monsters out of the tiles. So it will be worth cracking open before you know it. I think it's staying in print this year at least.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:24 am »

Monster Factory doubles as a toy; you can just make monsters out of the tiles. So it will be worth cracking open before you know it. I think it's staying in print this year at least.

Thanks. I'll be sure to open it up once my son is past the "automatically put everything in mouth" phase.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 03:29:24 am »

I really like 7 Wonders as a game that can support a large number of players (up to 7, as the name implies) without it taking significantly longer.
I like 7W for this reason too. I backed the Kickstarter because I'm interested to see Donald X's take on drafting.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:58:18 am »
+1

While i personally don't feel very attracted to the look and theme of Greed, i had the impression that it is pretty different from 7 Wonders. Sure there is a similar mechanism, but it's not like all auction games or deckbuilders play the same, either.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »

While i personally don't feel very attracted to the look and theme of Greed, i had the impression that it is pretty different from 7 Wonders. Sure there is a similar mechanism, but it's not like all auction games or deckbuilders play the same, either.

Yes, I agree entirely. I think the boat difference is that you keep a hand of cards. The card you draft doesn't have to be the card you play that turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

Apparently my copy of Greed has just arrived today. Looking forward to playing it!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:43 pm »
+1

Apparently my copy of Greed has just arrived today. Looking forward to playing it!

Bring it to Chicago!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:50:25 am »

Bring it to Chicago!

Ok! Will you be there Saturday? I think the chance of me staying for Sunday is slim.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 12:51:08 am »

I got my copy today and got 2 plays in. It's really quick, especially with 2, and it's great fun. The variety mechanic is alive and well as both games felt completely different from one another. The game box is small, too, so it's portable.

I was super proud of myself for getting $245,000 in the first game despite not really knowing what I was doing. :D
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

Hey, a friend of mine didn't think this game would be awesome so she didn't back it, but then she played it and decided it was awesome. Where can she get it?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 05:31:23 am »
+1

Hey, a friend of mine didn't think this game would be awesome so she didn't back it, but then she played it and decided it was awesome. Where can she get it?
Currently you can only get kickstarter copies, which you can find marked up. I don't have a release date but it will certainly be a surprise if they don't have it at Essen.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »

Tried this for the first time today with my family (who are pretty good at games but fairly casual, so a good audience for a game like this one). We liked it a lot. One of the best things is that there's almost no setup and teardown time at all, compared to some other games that have long-ish scoring routines at the end. (Dominion is already pretty fast for scoring, and Greed scores faster than Dominion.) That makes it very tempting to jump right into another game after you finish one. There's a decent amount of variety between games too, so that's another incentive to try another one to see what you get.

It doesn't really scale like 7 Wonders does, despite also being a drafting game with simultaneous play, because resolving your plays is sequential, and because Greed doesn't always limit direct interactions to adjacent players the way that 7 Wonders does. Despite that, one of our games was with 5 players (the maximum recommended) and it didn't drag.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »

I've played this game a lot in the last month. Due to the previously-mentioned extremely quick setup and relatively short play time, it works like a filler or warm up game, but there is a lot of strategy there. I love it.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 09:44:38 am »

I've finally gotten a few chances to play this game, although so far it's been mostly 4P and 5P games since a lot of people tend to gravitate towards new games in my group (and there's this asenine tendency to fill up games to the maximum number of players which is almost always terrible)

This game is fun, really fun. It exemplifies the best parts of drafting games, where you are still looking for synergies, but you take good cards that you see support for and then try and actually get the support.

I got the chance to play one 3P game which was fantastic. You actually get to see the same pack three or four times in one game, and there are less cards that you never get the opportunity to see at all, which drastically increases the skill component of the game. I've been trying to play more 3P games but it hasn't happened yet.

I don't like 5P Greed, though. There are so many cards that hurt your opponents and in a 5P game you can be mostly guaranteed that all of them will be played on you at some point. You can pretty much never count on having any cash and most of the time you end up flailing and not getting anywhere. The person who wins is the one who managed to dodge the worst of the attacks because they just didn't have any cash or whatever.

4P is OK but still runs into that problem sometimes. It feels a lot like 4P Dominion on a Torturer board to me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:22 pm »
+1

After more plays, we liked 3P better than 4P/5P due to a better chance to see cards again after you pass them on, so that you can plan ahead more effectively. I didn't really experience the attack problem you describe--I think it depends on which cards were dealt.

The "emotional" problem this game had for us for some players is that you'll often see two cards at the same time that would have a nice combo together, but it's kinda unreliable to actually be able to pick both of them, so a player can easily get a feeling of seeing combos but not being able to execute them, which can be frustrating. This is less of a problem with lower player counts and with planning ahead based on what you've see in previous packs.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »
+2

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.