Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In Which My Lust For Heralds Is My Undoing  (Read 6329 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
In Which My Lust For Heralds Is My Undoing
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:58:17 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Candlestick Maker, Lighthouse, Masterpiece, Advisor, Herald, Island, Plaza, Treasure Map, Explorer, Merchant Ship
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140307/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1394229029037.txt

OK, other than buying those two Heralds on my last turn instead of a Province (I realized that mistake right after I did it), what the hell did I do wrong here? It's hard not to blame this on shuffle luck.

My initial plan is to invest in Candlestick Makers and Islands, sneaking in an early Merchant Ship buy via Coin tokens for economy, with the eventual plan of an exploding Herald engine with Merchant Ships and Candlestick Makers as payload.

My opponent somehow beats be on both the Candlestick Maker and Island splits. Then my Heralds activate once throughout the entire game. Looking back, perhaps the strategy was just way too slow and doomed to failure, but I've been beaten by ridiculous Herald engines way too often to ignore them with any trashing on the board, even just Island.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: In Which My Lust For Heralds Is My Undoing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »

Usually, not lusting for Heralds enough is my undoing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

Usually, not lusting for Heralds enough is my undoing.

Exactly! That's what makes this loss so very frustrating.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »
+2

Candlestickmakers are not as good as people think they are.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

Candlestickmakers are not as good as people think they are.

Strongly agree. But they are usually nice in Herald engines. Without Herald, I'd probably buy 1 or 2 for the +Buy.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:30 pm »

Island and 4 coppers on turn 3 has been gg since Seaside. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »

Honestly, I think I would have gone mostly money and 0 Harolds. Open plaza silver. Then merchant ship on $5 and hope for a big masterpiece turn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:58:56 pm »

there is no real trashing and there's no gainer for $4's. just go for treasure maps, buy a huge masterpiece with the golds once they collide, and then start greening

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02:48 pm »

there is no real trashing and there's no gainer for $4's. just go for treasure maps, buy a huge masterpiece with the golds once they collide, and then start greening
Because going for Treasure Maps when there is no real trashing is always a highly recommended strategy.  ???
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 10:22:37 pm »
+1

My initial plan is to invest in Candlestick Makers and Islands, sneaking in an early Merchant Ship buy via Coin tokens for economy, with the eventual plan of an exploding Herald engine with Merchant Ships and Candlestick Makers as payload.

My opponent somehow beats be on both the Candlestick Maker and Island splits. Then my Heralds activate once throughout the entire game. Looking back, perhaps the strategy was just way too slow and doomed to failure, but I've been beaten by ridiculous Herald engines way too often to ignore them with any trashing on the board, even just Island.

That is bounded for failure as that is bad payload. You need better terminals here. heralded candlestick makers behave as baker in best case which is too slow as you do not need save much here. A merchant ships face problem that you need unless you manage play two per turn its not much better than playing one right away and duration means that there is no difference between drawing half of deck and whole deck, buying plaza and more merchant ships would work better.

There are much better strategies. There is a way how connect a treasure map twice. Key here is to pay 6 for herald putting two treasure maps on top of deck.

Strategy for that is first bloat your deck with silver, on first turn on 3 buy silver/silver. On turn 3-4 overpay masterpiece on 5 otherwise candlestick maker. On third shuffle buy one map  otherwise overpay. On forth shuffle you could connect these, buy treasure maps and when there are two in discard pile buy herald with 6 with saved coin tokens. Then overpay masterpiece, start greening and when you hit 4 you could repeat this procedure.

Alternative strategy here are advisors which both of you ignored. With islanded estates and enough silver these are as strong as gold.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:26 am »

Because going for Treasure Maps when there is no real trashing is always a highly recommended strategy.  ???

unless i really missunderstand treasure map, whether there's trashing or not isn't a factor for early treasure maps. you want to get two before the second reshuffle, collide them either before the third - good - or before the fourth - alright. trashing isn't fast enough to help, because you cant buy new ones on the turns you trash. with masterpiece, even a collision before the fourth reshuffle is really good, because if you buy a masterpiece with 4G and let's say one copper, you have 4 gold and 10 silvers in your deck. you can then go green with a really solid economy. i'm pretty sure that's faster than herald on this baord

e: you can measure the worth of herald when used with candlestick maker pretty easily: it's either nothing when it doesn't hit one, or +1Action +1Buy +1 Coin Token when it does. That's playing baker + workers willage, though the village part won't really help. that just isn't very good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:37:17 am by silverspawn »

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 06:58:04 am »

I did this fault once, thinking Herald-CSM could work. If Herald hits CSM, you have a mixture of Baker, Bazaar and Market resulting , for 2 cards costing 6$ together, so probably no big deal (and they hit not that often).

I am tempted to try this Treasure Map-Herald thingy (into mass Masterpieces), but Merchant Ship/Explorer-Masterpiece (Plaza for Smnoothing) should beat that.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:23 am »

Advisor is great support for the Treasure Map plan, at least that's what he once whispered in my ear.

I think you want to open Island/CM regardless of your plan, which I'm happy to let my shuffles determine for me: since there's no way to consistently get more than 1 Province per turn or any super combo, I'd just be buying the best card I can afford each turn, which might lead to the Herald plan but I'm a bit sceptical about how easy it is to get two TMs in your discard in a reasonable timeframe.

Island on 4, Merchant Ship on 5, Gold on 6, Masterpiece on 7 is probably best, although that sounds so boring that I might well end up buying a whole bunch of Heralds anyway and then shake my head afterwards, wondering what I was thinking.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 09:32:42 am »

try this Treasure Map-Herald thingy

Warning! DO NOT ATTEMPT to play Harold without a Treasure Map in hand!

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 09:47:42 am »

try this Treasure Map-Herald thingy

Warning! DO NOT ATTEMPT to play Harold without a Treasure Map in hand!

The plan is to have the TMs connected through the Overpay effect, so you won't play Herald before connecting them. But it seems to slow eitherway...

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »

I think you want to open Island/CM regardless of your plan, which I'm happy to let my shuffles determine for me: since there's no way to consistently get more than 1 Province per turn or any super combo, I'd just be buying the best card I can afford each turn, which might lead to the Herald plan but I'm a bit sceptical about how easy it is to get two TMs in your discard in a reasonable timeframe.
Actually even when you buy candlestick makers at turns 1-2, copper at 3-7 then collision on turn 11 is almost certain, just buy 8. treasure map, 9. treasure map, 10. herald with 2 overpay, 3 coin tokens equalize estates and forth gets to 6 on turn 10.

With two coin tokens and practically any deck a sequence tm, tm, herald on forth shuffle should work unless you hit 2-3 on turn 10. If you need use coin token for treasure maps, it means its because of two estates and you wont have problem on other two turns.

That is bit ineffective, you could try buy one map on second/third shuffle and try collide it earlier. You could also use trick if one map is in discard and one in deck then overpaying herald by 1 would work too.

Island on 4, Merchant Ship on 5, Gold on 6, Masterpiece on 7 is probably best, although that sounds so boring that I might well end up buying a whole bunch of Heralds anyway and then shake my head afterwards, wondering what I was thinking.

Island conflicts with herald/tm as you need 15 cards for that, overpaying masterpiece on 5+ helps that.

Advisor is great support for the Treasure Map plan, at least that's what he once whispered in my ear.

I did not realize before that in this board advisor is a good idea. Again herald is key and it leads to interesting mindgames. You should try to play it until there are 5-7 cards remaining in your deck. For opponent correct move is to give you a treasure map. If he discards it and you had one in hand or discard then you pass and next turn overpay herald by 2. If you did not have treasure map you overpay herald by 1 and also collide map next turn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 04:42:50 pm »
+1

I did not realize before that in this board advisor is a good idea. Again herald is key and it leads to interesting mindgames. You should try to play it until there are 5-7 cards remaining in your deck. For opponent correct move is to give you a treasure map. If he discards it and you had one in hand or discard then you pass and next turn overpay herald by 2. If you did not have treasure map you overpay herald by 1 and also collide map next turn.

SCSN was being ironic.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.