Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Least favorite card?  (Read 31621 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite card?
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 10:47:02 am »
+2

I don't understand why people are hating on Rebuild but not Mine...

The reason is simply this:
When you play on a board with Mine, there are a handful of things you can do. For example, on one and the same board, you could either go for Mine/Fools Gold, or Chancellor/Stash, or Workers Village/Poor House, or Transmute/Duke, or Big Money, or... I don't know which of these would be best, and the fun is you can find out yourself. On a board with Mine and no support for it, there still are a bunch of ways you can play.

This is not the case for boards with Rebuild. As Rebuild is extremely strong, skipping the card likely means losing. So if you want to win, instead of deciding which tactic to go for to do it, you just decide which support for Rebuild to get. Instead of deciding which cards to combine with each other, you decide which cards to combine with Rebuild. Instead of chosing a strategy, you chose a Rebuild strategy.

For this reason Rebuild makes the strategic choices on boards it appears on very narrow, leading to much less entertaining games - the fact that the card effect itself is boring adds to it, but isn't the main reason.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:36 am »

I don't understand why people are hating on Rebuild but not Mine...

The reason is simply this:
When you play on a board with Mine, there are a handful of things you can do. For example, on one and the same board, you could either go for Mine/Fools Gold, or Chancellor/Stash, or Workers Village/Poor House, or Transmute/Duke, or Big Money, or... I don't know which of these would be best, and the fun is you can find out yourself. On a board with Mine and no support for it, there still are a bunch of ways you can play.

This is not the case for boards with Rebuild. As Rebuild is extremely strong, skipping the card likely means losing. So if you want to win, instead of deciding which tactic to go for to do it, you just decide which support for Rebuild to get. Instead of deciding which cards to combine with each other, you decide which cards to combine with Rebuild. Instead of chosing a strategy, you chose a Rebuild strategy.

For this reason Rebuild makes the strategic choices on boards it appears on very narrow, leading to much less entertaining games - the fact that the card effect itself is boring adds to it, but isn't the main reason.

Exactly.
How do you win a game? Well, most likely, buy a lot of high-cost victory point cards and then end the game (Province pile is empty or three-piling). The bad thing about Rebuild is, that it does both: gaining you a lot of high-cost VP cards AND ending the game due to Province rushing. So, you basically don't need much other strategies except Rebuild, if it is availible.

If you could, for example, start with two extra Provinces in your deck, you would still be likely to lose the game, because you cannot end it before your opponent catches up. You would just be too slow.
Rebuild isn't slowing you down at all. It just replaces VP cards in your deck by better ones.
That you don't necessarily have to be able to BUY a province, makes it even worse. It's sufficient to get 2 extra green cards (even Estates) and you'll win, because your Rebuild does all the job.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:26:59 am by c4master »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 11:14:03 pm »

I think "No for the rest of this turn" would work well.
This sounds like an improvement. I don't think "no for the rest of the game" works. Hotkeys are uh too much for non-experts.

What if you took a page from online poker and added a checkbox for "don't play the reaction on Card X while this box is checked"? Then if you get into a situation where you might want the reaction, you can just uncheck the box.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 11:31:16 pm »

What if you took a page from online poker and added a checkbox for "don't play the reaction on Card X while this box is checked"? Then if you get into a situation where you might want the reaction, you can just uncheck the box.
I don't know what you're copying from online poker. I am not seeing any benefits here so far. The box couldn't always be onscreen. Only experts would know how to call it up from offscreen.

The mod could add something to improve Urchin and people could see how they liked it. For the actual online version, it's going to be a pretty low priority for a long time. It's functioning correctly, it just wasn't a card designed with online play in mind. Oracle makes you order cards pointlessly because that was the best phrasing, but Catacombs at least goes that extra mile for online play.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2014, 02:39:20 am »

I don't know what you're copying from online poker. I am not seeing any benefits here so far. The box couldn't always be onscreen. Only experts would know how to call it up from offscreen.

Essentially it's the ability to pre-move (online poker's implementation is the Check/Fold button and similar). I'm not sure why the box couldn't always be onscreen in a corner? But it's not particularly relevant--I don't imagine a checkbox system would ever be implemented, it was just an offhand thought. Besides, Urchin isn't a particularly bad offender--situations where you have to repeatedly decline to trash Urchin are just too rare compared to other interface annoyances.

Welcome back, by the way. It's good to see you around here discussing your game again... the artist is always the best source when you're looking for meaning in the art.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2014, 03:11:30 am »
+9

Essentially it's the ability to pre-move (online poker's implementation is the Check/Fold button and similar). I'm not sure why the box couldn't always be onscreen in a corner? But it's not particularly relevant--I don't imagine a checkbox system would ever be implemented, it was just an offhand thought. Besides, Urchin isn't a particularly bad offender--situations where you have to repeatedly decline to trash Urchin are just too rare compared to other interface annoyances.
I think wherever it was, I would find it more confusing than helpful. There are playmats on the screen for some cards, but the cards refer to them and anyway we can't not have them.

Welcome back, by the way. It's good to see you around here discussing your game again... the artist is always the best source when you're looking for meaning in the art.
I'm there for you. Chapel is about how unimportant material things are. Band of Misfits is about how who you pretend to be becomes who you are. Woodcutter is one of those canvases that just has a red stripe on it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:41 am »
+4

I'm there for you. Chapel is about how unimportant material things are. Band of Misfits is about how who you pretend to be becomes who you are. Woodcutter is one of those canvases that just has a red stripe on it.

And Harem is...?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »
+17

And Harem is...?
The lesson of Harem is that if you stray from the path of righteousness, Maura Kalusky will draw you on a Dominion card.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 04:11:09 pm »

And Harem is...?
My mom's favorite card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:01 pm »
+2

And Harem is...?
The lesson of Harem is that if you stray from the path of righteousness, Maura Kalusky will draw you on a Dominion card.

Which card features Ozle?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »
+1

And Harem is...?

I think he's the hooded man in the Tuvaluan Shanty Town.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:07 pm »
+7

And Harem is...?

Moat?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »

Should have been in spoiler tags, but I concede, Awaclus wins.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2014, 06:21:34 pm »

Im still unsure of this....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.