Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Least favorite card?  (Read 31544 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite card?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »

After really not minding them for a while I have gone back to jester and swindler. I don't mind the fact that they're random, even basic cards can be randomly bad, but they circumvent deck planning too much for my liking. The Goko bots, for example, are quite good with jesters and swindlers because they never really plan ahead, they just analyze the current game state.

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
+1

I hate Scrying Pool.

I played a lot IRL and SP always made the games take FOREVER and I never really played it well.

Now on Goko I try my hardest to never go for it, which means I get killed by it always.  Then I try for a once and awhile and BM beats me.  I know the card isn't that hard to play but it seems like I always go for it on the wrong boards and ignore it when its amazing.

GreyICE

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 03:27:41 am »
+1

In person?  Philosopher's Stone.  At least the other cards that take forever do weird and cool things (they just, y'know, take forever).  Philo stone it's like *count count count, oops recount* "Oh hey guys only 14 cards it's a silver.  Worth.

Online?  Fucking Tournament.  I have yet to play a Tournament game that felt fun in any way.  In person it at least does not consume your life the way Philo stone does (if people buy it and use it).

Also Iggy for degenerating the game into a ridiculous state rapidly.

dominion123

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 08:06:47 am »

what is iggy?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 08:09:58 am »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 04:15:25 pm »
+2

what is iggy?

i love the display of creativity that is your name

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 04:19:19 pm »

IGG, Possession, Tournament, Rebuild

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 04:59:12 pm »

what is iggy?

i love the display of creativity that is your name

She does Minion every single game...
Well you *do* need a signature...

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 11:23:17 pm »

Minion and Rebuild.

Swindler can be horrible, but I think I'm more positive about it since the last game it hit me hard, Trader helped me turn my deck around and I came out with the win (game 3 in this post).

There are some more cards that I really don't like on the wrong board, but those other 3 stand out.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 12:07:55 am »

I don't mind cards so much as I do certain openings or having Chapel on turn 3 or getting several four hands in a row before hitting 5. Like someone opening 5/2 with Cultist usually has a huge advantage over someone with 3/4 on a Cultist board. I guess if I had to pick cards, I will go with Swindler for its swinginess.

I think Tournament, IGG, and Rebuild have more strategy involved than people realize. I also see players going for Tournament all the time when they should not.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 12:21:05 am »

I also see players going for Tournament all the time when they should not.
Like I did here:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140308/log.51354134e4b07cef8209f582.1394338126568.txt
It doesn't make me hate tournament any less (as you might imagine if you look at that log).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:09 am »

1: Torturer (Swingy and the game can easily be decided early but still need a lot of miserable playing out unless you want to resign)

How is Torturer swingy?  It's annoying, but a single play of it is not devastating nor particularly luck-based.  A full-blown Torturer engine hurts, but it takes effort to build a deck to that point so I would not call it swingy.  Still worthy of being hated, but not swingy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:20 am »
+1

1: Torturer (Swingy and the game can easily be decided early but still need a lot of miserable playing out unless you want to resign)

How is Torturer swingy?  It's annoying, but a single play of it is not devastating nor particularly luck-based.  A full-blown Torturer engine hurts, but it takes effort to build a deck to that point so I would not call it swingy.  Still worthy of being hated, but not swingy.
Often, it's a mirror match and whoever happens to get the engine running first has a huge advantage. And usually it's the first player. It's definitely swingy, though not as swingy as some other cards.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:32:05 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 04:30:25 am »
+1

Instead of least favorite card I wonder what the least favorited card is?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:57 am »

Harvest?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 05:39:40 am »

Rebuild, Familiar and Swindler would be the main offenders. Not very original, but eh, there are good reasons to hate those cards.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 09:34:15 am »
+8

Harvest?

Some men hunt King's Court,
Others hunt for Goons,
The only thing I'm hunting for
Is a sifter which makes food.

See Harvest, see Harvest,
Some vanilla coin, at its best,
Fear my Trader, there's no greater,
Than a would-gain Curse upgrader.

See Vineyard,  'twas my card,
Trashed my Coppers with Steward,
And this Fortress is the village
From which I shall launch my Pillage.

On my coast, an Outpost,
Alchemists, I've got the most,
Bouquet of Farmland, on my Island
It shall rest,

Try my readied Tribute,
Score one bonus or two,
See Harvest, see Harvest
See Harvest.

My friend Tables?  Passed him Stables -
Don't have a deck which it enables,
But playing all of his cards also
Would be best,

So let's prepare Possession,
(Play two for twice the session,)
Oh please, won't you see Harvest

I really like Harvest.
Well you *do* need a signature...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 12:06:37 pm »

Harvest?

Some men hunt King's Court,
Others hunt for Goons,
The only thing I'm hunting for
Is a sifter which makes food.

Some vanilla coin, at its best,
Fear my Trader, there's no greater,
Than a would-gain Curse upgrader.

See Vineyard,  'twas my card,
Trashed my Coppers with Steward,
And this Fortress is the village
From which I shall launch my Pillage.

On my coast, an Outpost,
Alchemists, I've got the most,
Bouquet of Farmland, on my Island
It shall rest,

Try my readied Tribute,
Score one bonus or two,
See Harvest, see Harvest
See Harvest.

My friend Tables?  Passed him Stables -
Don't have a deck which it enables,
But playing all of his cards also
Would be best,

So let's prepare Possession,
(Play two for twice the session,)
Oh please, won't you see Harvest

I really like Harvest.
I only got the reference at that line.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 03:29:22 pm »

Often, it's a mirror match and whoever happens to get the engine running first has a huge advantage. And usually it's the first player. It's definitely swingy, though not as swingy as some other cards.

I'm still going to say that it's not that swingy.  Getting the engine running first is not something that usually happens just from luck.  The more skillful player will do it better and also respond better to getting attacked in return.  The skillful player will also do better at tuning the engine based on the given board.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 06:56:16 pm »

Cards that are strong and boring, like Ill-Gotten-Gains and Rebuild are the worst kind to me, because they weaken Dominion play to very simple formulas. This is also what is awful about Minion - and while it's not that strong when the pile is spilt between 3 or more players (which is almost always the case in my games), it's annoying enough to make up for that. This is also what i dislike about Scrying Pool (need to mention i usually play IRL). Wharf is another strong card i don't like - again because it is boring and turns around Wharf are really frustrating to sit through. Plus it's strong enough to be relevent almost always when it appears.

Nothing beats the unavoidable blandness of Rebuild though. I really hate that card.

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »

#1 by far is Rebuild. Its the only card in Dominion where i don´t want to play when the setup pops up. Other cards i don´t like are Swindler, Cultist and any sort of Throne Rooms, especially Kings Court. I am fine with cards like Tournament, Possession or IGG.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 11:56:59 pm »

I don't understand the KC hate.  I find that it's actually skippable more often than people give it credit for...

I also don't get the posession hate.  I hardly ever have it actually come into play, and I like how it changes the way you have to think about the game.  IRL though, I hate it, but only because I get confused about what happens in those weird situations it can cause (double posesisons and stuff) and mostly since I play with more than 2P IRL, it becomes slightly more annoying.

As far as cards I actually dislike:
Smugglers - Never seems to be on my side, always on my opponent's side
Knights - I never really know what to do with them...
Familiar - The whole 3P thing is kinda annoying, especially when you can't hit it
Remake - I don't understand this card still
Procession - I understand it even less

dominion123

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2014, 07:06:59 am »
+1

Maybe there should be a poll about this. Don't know if the polls allow for that many options, but the ones suggested in this thread at least.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »
+1

Oh, and because of the Goko interface, I hate Urchin.  Because if you want to use it without trashing it for a Mercenary, Goko keeps annoying with questions about trashing it.
You said it, although that's not inherently Urchin's fault. What's really annoying is when the game is decided by one person getting Mercenary considerably earlier than another player, considering that it's a counter to itself. I guess the solution to that is to do the Urchin/Urchin/Urchin opening that SCSN keeps hyping up.

Probably my least favourite card is Swindler. Two players open with it, but one keeps hitting Estates and Provinces while the other hits Coppers and turns Labs into Counting Houses. Swingler's saving grace is its ability to bring Scouts into play.

I don't care much for Peddler either. The cost reduction mechanic is compelling, but the freebie nature of Peddler makes it so that you'll pretty much always pick them up at 0 with extra buys, something that tends to happen in your engines anyway. It's not usually strategically deep unless getting the Peddlers still requires some investment, either due to lack of +buy or lack of +1 actions besides Peddler.

Peddler is frustrating because it can give one of the highest P1 advantages in the game. A decent number of Peddler boards become a race for the Peddlers, and players pick them up 3-4 at a time rather than one at a time. As a result, P1 gets 3, P2 gets 3, and P1 gets the rest for a 7-3 split even though both players were at the same pace. P2, frozen out of the Peddler race, would probably be better going for a non-Peddler deck... except that a stack of 10 Peddlers is often unstoppably powerful.

But my least favorite card is probably Young Witch, for a few reasons.
  • Successful plays make it harder to defend against later YWs (since they lower Bane density), which can lead to lopsided Curse splits for no good reason.
  • The Bane becomes an incredibly important card, which is awful when it has anti-synergy with YW or is just bad in the early game. This slows down the game as players are forced to either buy Banes instead of improving their deck, or contend with extra Curses.
  • Any terminal Bane + the terminal draw of YW makes other terminals (and even weak cantrips) unpalatable, leading to a lot of decks full of Silver and Curses (oh boy, what fun!).

I don't understand the KC hate.  I find that it's actually skippable more often than people give it credit for...

I also don't get the posession hate.  I hardly ever have it actually come into play, and I like how it changes the way you have to think about the game.  IRL though, I hate it, but only because I get confused about what happens in those weird situations it can cause (double posesisons and stuff) and mostly since I play with more than 2P IRL, it becomes slightly more annoying.

Possession is awful because of the incredibly stupid situations it can create. Ambassador or Masquerade can lead to first-play-wins (since you can then pass your opponent's Possessions to yourself, followed by power cards and Provinces). Any number of situations can lead to multiple Possessions per turn, at which point both players' primary goal is to trash their own deck's ability to do anything but play Possessions.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:19:01 pm by Stealth Tomato »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2014, 05:21:28 pm »

I think my three least favorite cards are Rebuild, Mountebank, and Soothsayer.  The reason is that each of these cards distracts heavily from the rest of the kingdom.  With Rebuild it's obvious; a very large number of Rebuild games just involve ignoring all but one or two kingdom cards, and getting a few Silvers and then Duchies/Estates/Provinces.  Mountebank and Soothsayer have the problem of diluting players' decks with two base cards at a time, so that you see your fun kingdom cards a lot less often, and it doesn't help that both are very strong, so you can't get away with ignoring them.  Other junking attacks have this problem but to a much lesser extent.  I actually think the cursing tied with the card-drawing on Soothsayer is a cool mechanic, I wish it had been done on something that didn't flood you with Gold.  Silver flooders or cards that reward silver flooding (Feodum) are also not fun for this reason in my opinion.

I also hate swingy cards: Cultist, Tournament, Familiar, probably others.  I like to be able to credit myself for my wins and blame myself for my losses, but often times you just can't catch up after your opponent gets two Cultists on his second shuffle, or if you miss $3P on yours.  Also, aside from being swingy, I don't like how Tournament breaks the negative feedback mechanic of Dominion by actually making your deck improve when you get Provinces (at least for the first one or two Provinces).

I don't mind the fact that Minion is strong and self-synergizing, because I think you can still build cool engines with it incorporating other kingdom cards; but I don't like the discard attack, since it can be really swingy (and since the way to fight it is to load up on Minions yourself, so you can sift through bad 4-card hands).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.