Miscellaneous > Other Games

Caverna vs. Agricola

(1/3) > >>

eHalcyon:
So I started looking up interesting new games that I missed during a period of not checking board gaming news at all.  Apparently Caverna is a hot new title, like Agricola 2.0?

Has anybody has experience with this game?  Is it much better than Agricola?  Is it different enough or good enough to warrant getting it even if you already have Agricola?  Does the lack of special player powers (present in Agricola via occupations and minor improvements) limit the game, or do games still play out differently each time despite the same initial start?

Thisisnotasmile:
I've only played it once but for what it's worth I do (slightly) prefer it to Agricola. There are more harvests, but because there are more things you can do with yourself it's actually easier to feel like you're accomplishing something rather than merely "surviving".

Watno:
I haven't played Caverna often yet (2 times I think), and so far I think I like Agricola a bit better. I just really like the different hands that force you to adjust every game.
Caverna has some stuff I really like as well, though, like the fact that growing your family is not as much of a no-brainer as it's in Agricola. I'm not really sure, but I think there's still quite a bit of variability to it, but as much as in Agricola.

DG:
Caverna is a better game than Agricola as you can't get shut out so easily from the most basic options. There is still depth in the choices and competition for spaces. If you already have Agricola then you can stick with it, imho, as the other titles are expensive and Agricola ultimately has more variation with all the cards.

eHalcyon:
Thanks for the thoughts!

--- Quote from: DG on March 06, 2014, 07:44:02 am ---Caverna is a better game than Agricola as you can't get shut out so easily from the most basic options. There is still depth in the choices and competition for spaces. If you already have Agricola then you can stick with it, imho, as the other titles are expensive and Agricola ultimately has more variation with all the cards.

--- End quote ---

Does that really make it a better game?  This is a serious question.  Agricola is a game where you are constantly struggling, which I understand can be a turn-off to some people.  I have a friend who doesn't like Agricola that much (he's only played it once or twice though), and this might be part of the reason.  Tom Vasel from the Dice Tower likes Le Havre a lot more because of this, and has this same enthusiasm for Caverna over Agricola.

Interestingly, one of the top reviews on BGG seems to suggest that Caverna could be played just as cut-throat as Agricola.

My question is still whether it's possible that there is some optimal strategy out there that can't be avoided in Caverna.  With all cards available every time and alternative choices that prevent being blocked by opponents, will players not settle into the same general strategies every time?  Agricola gets variation from the cards.  On the flip side, Agricola strategy almost invariably involves growing the family and then getting a little bit of everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version