Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition: $1-$2 cards  (Read 54317 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition: $1-$2 cards
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
+4

When i buy a pawn i use it a a plain cantrip at least 75% of the time.

I think you're using it wrong. It can help many engines, and it's a cheap, non-terminal source of +buy. The cantrip part is just a fail-safe so it doesn't take up space if needed.

Even if you use it as cantrip most of the times you play it, you're not using it as pure cantrip most of the games you play it.

7string

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 7string
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2014, 03:25:29 am »
+1

Reflections and lessons learned from new 2014 rankings…$1-$2 cards

I have been busy, but watching the rollout of the card rankings and comments when I have time.  Had a little more time the last couple days to think about what it all means to me so thought I would post some of my reflections and lessons learned from the new rankings.  I’ll start with the $2 cards, and work my way through the lists until I catch up with the $5 card ratings that are currently being rolled out.  As I am a relatively newer player, I was really looking for opportunities to learn and improve my own play.

It took me a little time to figure out how to consider all the rankings and comments.  I finally decided to approach it like this:

1)  First I made a spreadsheet and my rankings of the cards in order.

2)  Next I entered the new consensus ranking next to it which allowed me to see how different my individual rankings were.

3)  At this point I paused to consider what I was looking for.  What I really wanted to see were cards for which my own ranking differed significantly from the consensus ranking.  I rather arbitrarily decided to highlight cards for which my ranking deviated by more than 10% of the total number of cards for the cost.  Seemed like a good starting point.  So for the $2 cards where there was a total of 22 cards, I just wanted to focus on cards where my rank was 3 or more different.  I might still not agree with the consensus, but at least it would give me a few cards to focus on.

4)  So using that, I highlighted cards which I either significantly overrated or significantly underrated.  I also assume that I will probably have more to learn by focusing on cards which I underrate, although I might be buying too many of cards I overrate, so worth noting those as well.

5)  Finally, I looked over the shorter list of overrated and underrated cards, and tried to identify and cards which I felt I was was underutilizing.  To me it seems like my biggest opportunity will probably be to find cards which I both underrate and underutilize.

So here is my short lessons learned on the $2 cards:

Overall I was pretty close on most of the cards.  Fully a third of my rankings exactly matched the consensus.

My most overrated $2 card was Beggar.  Not that I rated it highly (only 4 higher), but there have just been a few times when the ability to function as a late gold or the reaction to gain silvers in response to an attack was helpful.  Not a big lesson learned.

Squire, Embargo, and Poor House all tied for my most underrated cards.  I do use Squire frequently, but not so much with Embargo and Poor House, so perhaps something to be learned about using them more often.

My biggest lesson learned was definitely Fools Gold.  I underrated it by several spots, and I think it is my most underutilized card of the top cards.  I did not expect it to be #2, as I still had Hamlet in that spot.  I will definitely keep my eyes open to the payload potential of Fools Gold.

Where I still differ:  I still think Hamlet is useful in a lot more situations than Courtyard or Fools Gold…but…at least you all have me keeping my mind open. ; )

Thanks again to Qvist for coordinating this, and to all the great input in the comments from the more experienced players.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2014, 02:55:06 am »

Well, that's a tough call.

Fool's Gold is one these cards you shouldn't let your opponent get all of (like Minion). Once I've picked up 8-10 Fool's Golds I can buy Provinces each turn, maybe even more than one, and pretty consistently, for sure. Since FG is very cheap, you can pickup multiple FGs if you have a +buy or a gainer. You should be able to pick up all the FGs in 7 or 8 turns.

I recentyl won a game due to buying courtyards (in a big money matchup). I had one Taxman, three Courtyards and two Torturers. I was able to play my Taxman early in the game and later on play either Courtyard or Torturer each turn because I can put back the Torturer. My oppenent didn't buy more than one Courtyard and thus had no chance of winning the game - too often I was able to draw where he wasn't.
Often in such BM-games you would draw an action dead anyway or at least you have more than $8 in your hand. Both situations are great for Courtyard.
Of course, Courtyard is even better in an enginge, where you can put back a village for your next turn (like scheming one).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2014, 06:56:53 pm »
+3

Of course, Courtyard is even better in an enginge, where you can put back a village for your next turn (like scheming one).

I think Courtyard is better for money decks than for engine decks. The big thing is that it only increases your hand size by 1, so it doesn't really draw enough for an engine. Having one to use like a Haven is okay, but you have to have a spare action to do that, which isn't always the best use of your actions. And if actions aren't in short supply, you probably don't need to put a village back anyway.

Courtyard, Vault, and Embassy are the main terminal draw big money cards, since they don't increase hand size enough to be key engine pieces, but they provide enough auxiliary benefit to accelerate the money strategy.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2014, 05:09:49 am »

Ok, you're right. Courtyard is better in BM.

What I meant to say was: An Engine, that uses (a few) Courtyards is probably even better than CY-BM.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2014, 01:26:00 pm »
+1

Ok, you're right. Courtyard is better in BM.

What I meant to say was: An Engine, that uses (a few) Courtyards is probably even better than CY-BM.

Sooo, engines are better than BM?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.