Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Literary/Visual Arts  (Read 6468 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Literary/Visual Arts
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:13 pm »
+8

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned on the forum before, but I'm an amateur photographer and (sometimes) writer. I love nature photography and macro photography best, although I live in Oklahoma for 8 months of the year, where I sadly feel pretty uninspired. Luckily, it just makes those 4 months in the beautiful Northwestern US even sweeter. :) I shoot with a pretty basic Nikon D5100 that I got a few years ago before studying abroad. Traveling and photography are two hobbies that work beautifully together. Several of my friends are amazing photographers and have helped me grow and learn more about photography in college. I've even won a couple of awards!

I've also dabbled in writing fiction and poetry. I wish I could write more, but I feel like good ideas are pretty scarce for me and sitting down to think of something is usually just not a priority for me. However, I did complete one short story last year that I'm pretty proud of, which I've attached for your reading pleasure! I know there are other writers on the forum, so I'm interested to hear about what inspires you, what you like to write about, and any current projects you're working on.

Now, for the reason this is in advertisements: for the last three years I've been indirectly involved with my college's Literary and Visual Arts Journal, Soundings. Submissions for this year's journals just ended a few days ago and the students in charge are working on fundraising to cover the costs of printing. They've started a kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1939436558/soundings-a-creative-anthology-for-students-by-stu and are almost a third of the way to their goal. I don't know how many patrons of the arts we have on the forum, but I figured there just might be a few!

Like I said, I've been involved with the journal for several years, so this project means a lot to me (the story above was even awarded 1st prize in fiction by the juror!). The people in charge this year are good friends of mine and I know that they'll do a great job keeping the journal's standard of quality high. This is a great chance to get a copy of a truly excellent creative anthology, one that will hopefully be featuring yours truly!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
Re: Literary/Visual Arts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:12 pm »
+4

Oh, I suppose I should share some photography too, if the forum will let me!

These are the photos that have been featured in the journal in the last 2 years: Madame Dragonfly in '12, Set in Stone and Vortex in '13. Vortex was awarded 2nd place!

Madame Dragonfly was taken in Japan, in a rose garden at Hitachi Seaside Park. I was just about to do engagement photos for two of my friends (always need to brush up on my people-shooting skills) but this dragonfly was just sitting there and being such a good subject. I particularly like the look on her face.

Set in Stone was also taken in Japan at Fukuroda Falls. It's funny, none of the photos of the falls turned out *at all* but this snapshot turned out to be incredibly moody. This tunnel echoed like craaaazy.

Vortex was taken in Glacier National Park in Montana, though you wouldn't know it since it's just a plant. I'm not even sure what kind of plant it is, but I really enjoy capturing geometry in nature. Glacier is an amazing place, go there if you get the chance!

Edit: the attachment system is way clunky, so I've uploaded them for ease of viewing!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:54:30 am by Dsell »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:44:02 pm »
+2

I got my confirmation email that I made it into the journal again this year! They accepted 3 of my photos; apparently they really liked my macro pieces! ;D

Bobèches was taken in a garden at a lavender farm and vineyard. Again, geometrical patterns in nature are my thing. These were really interesting buds forming this great pattern and the whole thing reminded me of candlesticks. Hence the name.

Flow and Ebb was taken on the Oregon coast, at this awesome hidden beach that I don't remember the name of. The colors and textures were super cool in this shot. If you look closely, you can see the water line where the anemones are closed up.

And finally, ugh, I almost wish they didn't pick this one because I don't want to be typecast as a dragonfly photographer! But anyway, Perched was taken the same day as Bobèches, in a field near a different lavender farm. If you're trying to mentally transport yourself to this location, think of the sound of a million trillion bees buzzing in an adjacent field. That should help.

The kickstarter is almost 2/3 of the way to being funded, woo! Hop on that bandwagon! I've seen a few of the other accepted submissions, and there's some really good stuff this year.

Also, I am *positive* that there are other writers/photographers around here, so come out from under your respective rocks!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:02 pm »

weird, the images don't show up ... try reuploading to imgur?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »

They show up for me...

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »

Is it just the most recent post that's not working? I'm trying to put them on imgur now, it doesn't display portrait shots quite as well though (on a screen my size anyway).

Edit: Here's a link to the most recent 3 on imgur, I can't figure out how to make them display at a good size on here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:17:58 pm by Dsell »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:31 am »

Here you go:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »

Thank you, theory! :D

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:02:37 pm »

Just read your story and.... wow that's a little strange. It was a good story, but man that guy is insane.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:57 pm »
+1

Just read your story and.... wow that's a little strange. It was a good story, but man that guy is insane.

Yeah, this story is kind of a departure from my usual style/voice. Not that I write as often as I'd like to, but I'm not like super fatalistic in real life or something. :P However, I really find it enjoyable and pretty freeing to explore dark subjects and psyches through reading and writing.

Also, the inspiration for this story came to me while I was in Japan just six months after the devastating earthquake in 2011. It was amazing to see the hope that came from the people of that nation, but Japan was still affected deeply by the disaster and many people struggled to see the good in that situation. It's easy to see a catastrophe on the news and see all of the physical devastation but forget about the enormous toll it takes on the people who've had their families, homes, and livelihoods taken from them. That's where the real devastation happens, and it usually takes a lot more time and effort to recover from than the physical damages, if indeed recovery comes at all.

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »
+1

A good read! Inspiring, I get the feeling I read way, way too little english :P

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »

A good read! Inspiring, I get the feeling I read way, way too little english :P

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's pretty cool to know that my story's being appreciated by non-native speakers!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 03:30:02 pm »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 06:43:18 pm »

I'll try to read that story when I get the chance. I would also like to write more. Currently I'm trying to write a sort of satire/sci-fi/Hitchhikers Guide style story about advertising and how ridiculous it is.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:03 pm »

Thanks! Your story sounds awesome; as a marketing student, I love making fun of advertising. :D

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 01:36:15 pm »

Thanks! Your story sounds awesome; as a marketing student, I love making fun of advertising. :D

Well it opens with the main character getting up and his whole wall turning into targeted ads based on what he's saying, with extra ads on his knife, his alarm clock shouting stuff at him and even on his toast.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:22 pm »

Well it opens with the main character getting up and his whole wall turning into targeted ads based on what he's saying, with extra ads on his knife, his alarm clock shouting stuff at him and even on his toast.

Imagine the product placement deals you could make when this gets picked up for a three-part movie... ;)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

Imagine the product placement deals you could make when this gets picked up for a three-part movie... ;)

I'll be rich! I need to make this a long book now.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 08:26:30 pm »

I'll be rich! I need to make this a long book now.

Nah, as long as it's decent (or maybe even if it's not *cough*twilight*cough*), Hollywood will make sure it gets at least 3 installments. ;D

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.