Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Some thoughts.  (Read 19862 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »

She's reflecting on the way she approached the relationship she had (which is now over, hence sadness) and how it turned out so poorly -- she came in like a wrecking ball and maybe she should have held back a little bit. Something like that.
Something like that, I think. I don't particulalrly care for the musicality though, and I generally don't listen to pop out of my own free will.

Never forget that every genre has good songs and bad songs. Fans of the genre are able to tell the difference.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:14 pm »

She's reflecting on the way she approached the relationship she had (which is now over, hence sadness) and how it turned out so poorly -- she came in like a wrecking ball and maybe she should have held back a little bit. Something like that.

But, uh, a wrecking ball comes in only with the intention of destroying.  Surely she came in with different intentions.  She came in too fast and too hard, committed too much too soon, or something like that.  A better metaphor could be found, right?

Or did she intend to destroy this person?  To change them and grow them anew into something she wanted?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »

But, uh, a wrecking ball comes in only with the intention of destroying.  Surely she came in with different intentions.  She came in too fast and too hard, committed too much too soon, or something like that.  A better metaphor could be found, right?

Or did she intend to destroy this person?  To change them and grow them anew into something she wanted?

I think a wrecking ball is how she actually came in, not exactly how she intended. The consequences were disastrous and looking back this is clear. The song laments this.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 01:56:37 pm »

Never forget that every genre has good songs and bad songs. Fans of the genre are able to tell the difference.
You don't need to be a fan of a genre in order to tell the difference between a good song and a bad song. But you probably do need to be a fan of the genre to know about the good songs, since the most popular artists have a tendency to be incredibly mediocre.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »
+1

The concept that people are attempting to analyze the deeper meaning of lyrics sung by Hannah Fucking Montana is difficult to wrap my head around.  Perhaps next we should consider the theme and structure of Tommy Tutone's "Jenny" or The Beatles' "I Am the Walrus." I like both songs but really... their lyrics are pretty much face value in the first case, and "holy shit this is some good acid" in the second case.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »

adam did i read correctly when you said pentatonix was not your favorite bad on the sing-off ever?...?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:58 pm »

I think a wrecking ball is how she actually came in, not exactly how she intended. The consequences were disastrous and looking back this is clear. The song laments this.

Yes but I'm saying it's not a good metaphor.. it's not deep, it's not creative, and it doesn't accurately describe what is intended (based on what you're saying the intent is).  There has to be a more clever way to convey the idea.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

The concept that people are attempting to analyze the deeper meaning of lyrics sung by Hannah Fucking Montana is difficult to wrap my head around.  Perhaps next we should consider the theme and structure of Tommy Tutone's "Jenny" or The Beatles' "I Am the Walrus." I like both songs but really... their lyrics are pretty much face value in the first case, and "holy shit this is some good acid" in the second case.

Well, I consider the stuff by Miley Ciris et al. to not be real music, but someone came out in support of it, so I actually wanted to understand the motivation of that.  And I'm dismissive of it, so I don't seek opportunities to listen to it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »
+1

You don't need to be a fan of a genre in order to tell the difference between a good song and a bad song. But you probably do need to be a fan of the genre to know about the good songs, since the most popular artists have a tendency to be incredibly mediocre.
To someone who is not into death metal, all death metal will sound like "noise". A fan of the genre would be able to say "oh, I like what they're doing here with the rhythm and the drums" and "bah, this really is just noise".

If you don't like the music of a genre, you'll tend to think all of it sucks. In reality, only some of it sucks.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:24 pm »
+3

To someone who is not into death metal, all death metal will sound like "noise". A fan of the genre would be able to say "oh, I like what they're doing here with the rhythm and the drums" and "bah, this really is just noise".

If you don't like the music of a genre, you'll tend to think all of it sucks. In reality, only some of it sucks.

Relevant xkcd:

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »

Relevant xkcd:

Upvote only for the use of the word "frankly".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:04:31 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »

To someone who is not into death metal and who is not particularly good at listening to music, all death metal might sound like "noise", but if you are good at it, you can tell whether or not it's good. It's certainly possible that you don't like it even if you know that it's good, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 03:59:59 pm »
+1

To someone who is not into death metal and who is not particularly good at listening to music, all death metal might sound like "noise", but if you are good at it, you can tell whether or not it's good. It's certainly possible that you don't like it even if you know that it's good, though.
I'll take this opportunity to concede. It's possible to have enough familiarity with a genre to recognize, let's say, the songs of higher quality while still not being particularly fond of the genre.

In the case of pop music, we have to hear it everywhere we go, so we will inevitably see enough examples of pop music to develop preferences.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »

Relevant xkcd:

It's true though. It must be human nature to compare things. I don't see it as being much of a problem. I mean, we here on the forum have opinions about some Dominion cards being awesome and others terrible. Our opinions will most likely differ from those of casual players.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 05:01:06 pm »

adam did i read correctly when you said pentatonix was not your favorite bad on the sing-off ever?...?

Wanted to ask about that too.  Adam, what was your favourite group in that season?

Also, I didn't really follow the most recent season of The Sing-Off.  Any performances worth checking out there?

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »
+2

Hope this works right:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »

You can just post a youtube link, no need for iframe tags or whatever

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:39 pm »

This party is happenin',
It's no mirage,
So sing it again,
Yvan Eht Nioj!

Just remembered what this is from. Wow.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:13 pm »

Wanted to ask about that too.  Adam, what was your favourite group in that season?

That season is the only one I ever saw, and Afro Blue was by far my favorite group. I feel like they were really talented and innovative and creative.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:20 am »

This party is happenin',
It's no mirage,
So sing it again,
Yvan Eht Nioj!

Just remembered what this is from. Wow.
Joooiiiin the Naaaavyyyy!
Join the Navy.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 10:08:08 am »

That season is the only one I ever saw, and Afro Blue was by far my favorite group. I feel like they were really talented and innovative and creative.

Okay, afro blue was decent, they didn't have enough diversity to win the competition in my opinion, pentatonix could do uptempo/ballads/multiple genres

Also, I didn't really follow the most recent season of The Sing-Off.  Any performances worth checking out there?

I want spoil the order but the top few teams were all pretty middling in terms of talent. In fact I remember my girlfriend being upset because she felt there were a lot of good teams in season 3 that could easily have won season 4. Filharmonic does a good job of being boy bandy with a purpose(probably my favorite team) and Home Free has some insanely talented vocalists but they sing mainly country which i have yet to refine my appreciation for enough to rate individual artists(my gf's favorite team)

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=Htmhb-YC5PU - filharmonic

okay forgive me its been awhile, home free was the best on the season by faaaar. I forgot how amazing they sound...
http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=wRxbgPghBN0 - shows off their lead(alto? i'm a fan not a student)
http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=9qhx6tNzmiw - shows off their base
http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=sjsizpoPtIw - shows off their soprano(really I love music but my brain cannot grasp it)

AHHHHH how do i make it just links???? I added a space between . and com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:20:10 am by mcmcsalot »
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 10:20:54 am »

(video)

Hilarious.

Their Harry looks just like dreamboat the real thing, and I lol-ed when he said he was gonna go solo. I was just thinking about how he might do that...

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 10:23:20 am »

AHHHHH how do i make it just links???? I added a space between . and com

You can just use url tags...

filharmonic
shows off their lead
shows off their base
shows off their soprano

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htmhb-YC5PU]filharmonic[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxbgPghBN0]shows off their lead[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhx6tNzmiw]shows off their base[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjsizpoPtIw]shows off their soprano[/url]

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 10:31:29 am »

Home Free: WOW that bass. That guy carries the group for sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.