Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Some thoughts.  (Read 19861 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Some thoughts.
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:02 pm »
+3

I watched the music video for One Direction's "You Don't Know You're Beautiful" for the first time and I have some thoughts. I'll try to keep this brief.

First, every single member of that band needs a haircut. Badly. In fact they need to have all of their hairs cut, which is fortunate because usually that's the same price. At one point, one of them actually flips his hair when that line comes up in the song, only confirming this fact.

Second, I did have a hard time judging how well they sung because they must have forgotten to turn up the vocal track. The rest of it was so much louder! This alarmed me at first, but after listening closely, perhaps it was for the best.

Third, there appear to be five members in the group. Why? I hever heard more than two different parts at once! Why do you need five people in your group when there are only two parts? If there are five of you, I expect to hear five-part harmony at some point or else you're charging too much for your albums.

Fourth, the whole song is the chorus, I get it. Somebody wrote a catchy chorus and you want the verses to be short so you can get back to the chorus. Great. You're probably overpaying that guy, but whatever, maybe that's your slogan or your tagline or something: "One Direction: Overpaid." But after a couple of choruses you get to the point in the song where it's time for the bridge, and I have several problems with it.

First (if you don't like my numbering system, dwi, I'm trying to keep this brief, remember?), letting a different guy sing each verse and then another guy sing the bridge does not justify having so many people in your group. It actually hurts the song because there's a lack of continuity. It's so high-school to make everyone in your group sing by themselves for part of the song so that nobody gets mad they didn't get their solo.

Second, the video at this point is just creepy. We'll start out with the fact that the lighting sort of makes silhouettes, which would be nice if THAT GUY WOULD JUST GET HIS HAIRS CUT! It looks like his head is on fire! But he's standing all tall with his chest sticking out, but having to look down at the girl who is shorter than him, but she's so close to him that it just looks like he's "trying to get up in her grill" and the way he sings he looks like he's yelling at her. That scene would be a perfect dramatization of what domestic abuse looks like, except she's acting all shy and into him, which just makes it SO awkward. Who can really be into the abusive, yelling, guy with his (too much) hair on fire? I just don't get this.

Third, the bridge is EXACTLY THE CHORUS OF THE SONG AGAIN! They changed NOTHING! You can't do that! I remember in high school jazz band I thought I'd try playing the melody on my bari sax for my solo (which is supposed to be improvised). The director stopped me immediately and told me that you just don't do that. People have already heard that, you're supposed to play something different. You could get away with that other thing in high school, but this you can't even do in high school!

I guess that's enough for now.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:34:52 pm »
+2

Was this directed to the people who think it's great music? I haven't heard the song and quite frankly have little interest in changing that, but the target audience is probably 13-year old girls, and I'm sure they like it. You are nor a girl or 13.

It's also show business, there is clearly a market for stuff like this so I don't know what you mean by overpaying. You'd want to change the world so that the people more talented musically would make the money instead of teen idols? I guess we all would, but ultimately I really don't care that much. Such is life. I'm not a musician though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:42:45 pm by Eevee »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:39:39 pm »

Third, there appear to be five members in the group. Why? I hever heard more than two different parts at once! Why do you need five people in your group when there are only two parts? If there are five of you, I expect to hear five-part harmony at some point or else you're charging too much for your albums.
There are certainly at least four parts in the last chorus. Three of them were completely unnecessary though, and could've been synths instead.

EDIT: I changed my mind, the fourth one could be a synth too. If you really want to have the lyrics sung, you can add a rap vocalist or something. I don't really have anything against One Direction in particular, but when none of the band members are needed in the band... why does it exist?

EDIT 2: Listened to it again, all five are singing different parts in the last chorus! And all of them are completely unnecessary!

EDIT 3: Yeah, it doesn't need the vocals at all.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:32:25 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:32:31 pm »
+2

Did somebody say five parts?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:30:06 am »
+11

I have to tell you something: The members of One Direction are extremely, extremely talented. Not at singing, mind you. I'm not much of a music person, but it seems to me their sound is mediocre. There's nothing wrong with it, but there are probably hundreds of thousands of people in the world who can sing just as well.

One Direction's talent is NOT singing; it's image management and marketing. Everything about them--their clothes, their haircuts, the events they attend, the pictures they take of themselves, the "behind-the-scenes" banter they have with each other--is designed to produce the effect of extending their fame and selling more records to their audience. If you think about it, their job isn't to produce a CD that Adam Horton would like (they would make, like, $11 off of that). Their job is to be teen pop sensations. And they are really, really, really good at this job. Like, unbelievably good. They (and the people they have hired to assist them in this task) have really done a praiseworthy job at this job that they have.

As a general policy, I always try never to malign celebrities for their success. I mean, most of us, we see Miley Cyrus doing something ridiculous, and we instinctively think, "Dear God, what's wrong with that girl? Why would she do that?" The answer is so obvious: Because she is incredibly good at her job, which is being a headline-grabbing celebrity. She makes a lot of money doing this. Do you think she's actually crazy? Maybe she is, but who cares. She's acting crazy because she's paid to do it.

I am not a celebrity by any stretch of the imagination, but I do by the nature of my work come into contact with them, sometimes. Most major media figures I meet are incredibly smart, driven people. Often times they are also insane megalomaniacs, but I mean of course they are. The field rewards and encourages that. Most basketball players are tall, for similar reasons.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:31 am »
+3

You'd want to change the world so that the people more talented musically would make the money instead of teen idols? I guess we all would, but ultimately I really don't care that much. Such is life. I'm not a musician though.

That's exactly what I'd want, yes. When I was choosing my career what I really wanted was to go into the performing arts but I decided not to because of this. I know it's there in every field but you can at least make a decent living in other fields and not have the success of less talented people everywhere as a constant reminder.

...the target audience is probably 13-year old girls, and I'm sure they like it. You are nor a girl or 13.

I like the song, it's catchy. Also, I'm very in touch with my feminine side and when the g/f is feeling generous she'll say I have the maturity of a 13-year-old. I'm not sure what conclusions we can draw from this but I thought I'd share.

Did somebody say five parts?

Ah, Pentatonix. I don't know how I feel about them, I was really butt-hurt when they were on The Sing-Off because that was the first (and only) season I watched and I thought there was a much more talented group on the show. But they sound really good and I'm glad they're doing what they are.

One Direction's talent is NOT singing; it's image management and marketing.

My favorite member of 1D is Harry. Is it because he seems to be "in charge" of the group? I dunno. Is it because he has the most hair on his head? (I mean come on, his name is Harry. This is gold.) I dunno. Is it because out of the five guys in the group who are all serenading the girl in that video (the one who doesn't know she's beautiful) he is the one that she appears the most into? I dunno. Is it the shoulders? Probably. For Valentine's Day, the g/f got me a 1D valentine with Harry's picture that said "You top the charts, valentine!" I still have it.

I saw a 1D pen/bracelet with a Harry charm on it in the discount rack at Target™ once and I HAD to have it. First of all, it matched the Christmas ornament I already had; second of all, a pen AND a bracelet? I mean come on, people make fun of me because I carry a pen in my pocket all the time. I don't care because it's really useful, but now I can wear my 1D bracelet WITH HARRY'S PICTURE ON IT and be super-stylish and still be able to write things whenever I need to!

What's really killing me, though, is the fact that they haven't released a music video for "Does He Know" yet. When am I gonna get to see that? I feel like it's been long enough already.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:29 am »
+4

I watched the music video for One Direction's "You Don't Know You're Beautiful"

I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there.  I don't know this band, and I don't know this song, but I do know that this was your problem, right there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:22:01 am by Witherweaver »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:41 am »

I watched the music video for One Direction's "You Don't Know You're Beautiful"

I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there.  I don't know this band, and I don't know this song, but I do know that this was your problem, right here.

Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 09:22:24 am »
+2

My friend was pitch of the Whiffenpoofs the year they were on Sing-Off! Unfortunately they were eliminated pretty early on, and he said the producers did a number to try to make them look artificially "snooty", by filming them golfing and such.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:41 am »

Not that I was a fan of pop music anyway, but I really lost interest in American Idol when they dismissed a contestant for singing too well. She was singing Broadway style, and that's not what they wanted. They wanted pop sensation. Keep your classically trained voice out of this!

Not to say that all American Idol singers are bad. It's just a shame that a good voice was discarded in favor of popdom.

From what I've seen of the Voice, that part is at least taken care of by having the judges listen to the singer before choosing to sponsor him/her. I'm not going to fool myself, though; I'm sure that the singers are vetted by someone interested in marketability before allowing them onto the stage.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:23 am »
+1

Singing seems to be the only criteria people think about for what makes good music. The reality is that it's a lot more than just singing well. If that were the case, Judas Priest (or similar bands)would be pop music, but they're not. I think people should learn what it is they actually like about the songs they listen to as opposed to just saying it's because there is good singing.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:10 am »

When I listen to music, I like to appreciate the talent that went into putting it together, that's what I enjoy about listening to music.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:55 am »

When I listen to music, I like to appreciate the talent that went into putting it together, that's what I enjoy about listening to music.

Word. We can sit here and judge but somebody (probably not the boys in the band) knew this would be a hit when they were writing it. That said, there's not much to it. It's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" with some awkward teenage boy band. But hey, you wont see me arguing with a 13 year old girl about what good music is. If you like it, it's good... unless it's bad.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 11:18:59 am »

One Direction's talent is NOT singing; it's image management and marketing.... They (and the people they have hired to assist them in this task) have really done a praiseworthy job at this job that they have.

Except that most of that talent comes not from them but from their promoters and managers.  They are the faces, and they get the attention and the fame, but I guarantee you that the majority of the cash is flowing to the people behind the scenes.

Also, Adam, I know you're not that young, are you?  This same phenomenon--the pop that normal adults can't stand but 13-year-old girls love, the lack of actual talent being presented as "talent," the image management--is a long-standing tradition.  And by long-standing I mean "longer than I've been alive."  Granted, I only became aware of it as a young teen, when my little sister started listening to Backstreet Boys and NKOTB and the like.  But you can trace manufactured pop music presented by a handful of young boys to the Monkees.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 11:23:05 am »

BSB had a lot of talent, they were always my favo boy band and I really enjoyed listening to them. N Sync was better live, and I still like them too. I tried to form my own boy band/a cappella group in high school and if I had the opportunity to do that today I totally would and we would totally sing a bunch of BSB songs.

I'm 28 years old. Back in my day, the pop sensations had actual musical talent, not just gorgeous flowing locks of too-much-hair and super-dreamy shoulders. They sang in harmonies that required talent from every member of the group, they innovated.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:40:38 am »

I'm 28 years old. Back in my day, the pop sensations had actual musical talent, not just gorgeous flowing locks of too-much-hair and super-dreamy shoulders. They sang in harmonies that required talent from every member of the group, they innovated.

Some of them yes. BSB and N'Sync maybe. Color Me Badd was just awful. What do you think of New Edition or The Jets? Different time but their fame reminds me of One Direction.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 11:43:35 am »

I haven't heard of any of them. When I get a chance I'll look them up on YouTube. Any "signature songs" I should make sure I listen to?

BTW, I meant to say this before, but I think Miley Cyrus is incredibly talented. Her last album is terrible, though, except for Wrecking Ball where she's super-amazing. The video, though, I couldn't watch that whole thing, it just made me uncomfortable.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 12:01:32 pm »

The Jets's big hit was "Crush On You" but they're not exactly a boy band considering there were girls in the band. New Edition's big songs were "Candy Girl", "Cool It Now", and maybe a couple others. New Edition was basically BBD + Bobby Brown. The fact that The Jets and New Edition were teenagers reminded me of One Direction but they're pretty different now that I'm listening to them again.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 12:06:07 pm »
+3

My lawn, get off of it.

Seriously though, the pop sensations have pretty much never had real musical talent.  Sure, they could sing harmony, which isn't so much talent as practice, but the innovations of which you speak were by the songwriters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_band#Key_factors_of_the_concept
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:10 pm »

I haven't heard of any of them. When I get a chance I'll look them up on YouTube. Any "signature songs" I should make sure I listen to?

BTW, I meant to say this before, but I think Miley Cyrus is incredibly talented. Her last album is terrible, though, except for Wrecking Ball where she's super-amazing. The video, though, I couldn't watch that whole thing, it just made me uncomfortable.

Okay I'm actually curious about this.  The "Wrecking Ball" part.  Admittedly I haven't payed much attention to the song, but at places like the gym or where they play the radio, I've heard a song that talks about "wrecking ball" with some female singer, so I'm assuming this is that song.  I think the song sounds godawful.  The vocals are, like.. whiny and they hurt the inside of my head.  Like a headache that comes from the very center of my brain.  And the musical track itself.. it's hard for my to tell these things, but there just doesn't seem like a lot going on there.  It seems the same for the lyrics as well.

So I'm kind of surprised that someone is claiming there is something amazing going on.

And I'm not trying to be inflammatory.. it's just that this song, and many others I hear in the same places that play this kind of song.. they make me tense, angry, frustrated, and unhappy.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 12:15:38 pm »
+7

This party is happenin',
It's no mirage,
So sing it again,
Yvan Eht Nioj!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »

The song is about feeling deep pain, which I think is embodied in her vocal performance extremely well, yet the precision and talent she's always had are still present in that song. The use of dynamics with her range are very well performed.

Eh, just my opinion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 12:37:30 pm »
+1

The song is about feeling deep pain, which I think is embodied in her vocal performance extremely well, yet the precision and talent she's always had are still present in that song. The use of dynamics with her range are very well performed.

Eh, just my opinion.

Okay, but.. wrecking ball for deep pain.. to me, that's a really boring and uninspired metaphor.  Unless you're doing it ironically. 

Though I guess it makes me feel pain, so.. success?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:13 pm »
+1

She's reflecting on the way she approached the relationship she had (which is now over, hence sadness) and how it turned out so poorly -- she came in like a wrecking ball and maybe she should have held back a little bit. Something like that.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 12:47:22 pm »

Eh, just my opinion.
It shows even more in the music video. My sister made me sit through the whole thing. It's quite intense actually.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »

She's reflecting on the way she approached the relationship she had (which is now over, hence sadness) and how it turned out so poorly -- she came in like a wrecking ball and maybe she should have held back a little bit. Something like that.
Something like that, I think. I don't particulalrly care for the musicality though, and I generally don't listen to pop out of my own free will.

Never forget that every genre has good songs and bad songs. Fans of the genre are able to tell the difference.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:14 pm »

But, uh, a wrecking ball comes in only with the intention of destroying.  Surely she came in with different intentions.  She came in too fast and too hard, committed too much too soon, or something like that.  A better metaphor could be found, right?

Or did she intend to destroy this person?  To change them and grow them anew into something she wanted?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »

But, uh, a wrecking ball comes in only with the intention of destroying.  Surely she came in with different intentions.  She came in too fast and too hard, committed too much too soon, or something like that.  A better metaphor could be found, right?

Or did she intend to destroy this person?  To change them and grow them anew into something she wanted?

I think a wrecking ball is how she actually came in, not exactly how she intended. The consequences were disastrous and looking back this is clear. The song laments this.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 01:56:37 pm »

Never forget that every genre has good songs and bad songs. Fans of the genre are able to tell the difference.
You don't need to be a fan of a genre in order to tell the difference between a good song and a bad song. But you probably do need to be a fan of the genre to know about the good songs, since the most popular artists have a tendency to be incredibly mediocre.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »
+1

The concept that people are attempting to analyze the deeper meaning of lyrics sung by Hannah Fucking Montana is difficult to wrap my head around.  Perhaps next we should consider the theme and structure of Tommy Tutone's "Jenny" or The Beatles' "I Am the Walrus." I like both songs but really... their lyrics are pretty much face value in the first case, and "holy shit this is some good acid" in the second case.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »

adam did i read correctly when you said pentatonix was not your favorite bad on the sing-off ever?...?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:58 pm »

I think a wrecking ball is how she actually came in, not exactly how she intended. The consequences were disastrous and looking back this is clear. The song laments this.

Yes but I'm saying it's not a good metaphor.. it's not deep, it's not creative, and it doesn't accurately describe what is intended (based on what you're saying the intent is).  There has to be a more clever way to convey the idea.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

The concept that people are attempting to analyze the deeper meaning of lyrics sung by Hannah Fucking Montana is difficult to wrap my head around.  Perhaps next we should consider the theme and structure of Tommy Tutone's "Jenny" or The Beatles' "I Am the Walrus." I like both songs but really... their lyrics are pretty much face value in the first case, and "holy shit this is some good acid" in the second case.

Well, I consider the stuff by Miley Ciris et al. to not be real music, but someone came out in support of it, so I actually wanted to understand the motivation of that.  And I'm dismissive of it, so I don't seek opportunities to listen to it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »
+1

You don't need to be a fan of a genre in order to tell the difference between a good song and a bad song. But you probably do need to be a fan of the genre to know about the good songs, since the most popular artists have a tendency to be incredibly mediocre.
To someone who is not into death metal, all death metal will sound like "noise". A fan of the genre would be able to say "oh, I like what they're doing here with the rhythm and the drums" and "bah, this really is just noise".

If you don't like the music of a genre, you'll tend to think all of it sucks. In reality, only some of it sucks.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:24 pm »
+3

To someone who is not into death metal, all death metal will sound like "noise". A fan of the genre would be able to say "oh, I like what they're doing here with the rhythm and the drums" and "bah, this really is just noise".

If you don't like the music of a genre, you'll tend to think all of it sucks. In reality, only some of it sucks.

Relevant xkcd:

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »

Relevant xkcd:

Upvote only for the use of the word "frankly".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:04:31 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »

To someone who is not into death metal and who is not particularly good at listening to music, all death metal might sound like "noise", but if you are good at it, you can tell whether or not it's good. It's certainly possible that you don't like it even if you know that it's good, though.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 03:59:59 pm »
+1

To someone who is not into death metal and who is not particularly good at listening to music, all death metal might sound like "noise", but if you are good at it, you can tell whether or not it's good. It's certainly possible that you don't like it even if you know that it's good, though.
I'll take this opportunity to concede. It's possible to have enough familiarity with a genre to recognize, let's say, the songs of higher quality while still not being particularly fond of the genre.

In the case of pop music, we have to hear it everywhere we go, so we will inevitably see enough examples of pop music to develop preferences.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »

Relevant xkcd:

It's true though. It must be human nature to compare things. I don't see it as being much of a problem. I mean, we here on the forum have opinions about some Dominion cards being awesome and others terrible. Our opinions will most likely differ from those of casual players.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 05:01:06 pm »

adam did i read correctly when you said pentatonix was not your favorite bad on the sing-off ever?...?

Wanted to ask about that too.  Adam, what was your favourite group in that season?

Also, I didn't really follow the most recent season of The Sing-Off.  Any performances worth checking out there?

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »
+2

Hope this works right:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »

You can just post a youtube link, no need for iframe tags or whatever

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:39 pm »

This party is happenin',
It's no mirage,
So sing it again,
Yvan Eht Nioj!

Just remembered what this is from. Wow.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:13 pm »

Wanted to ask about that too.  Adam, what was your favourite group in that season?

That season is the only one I ever saw, and Afro Blue was by far my favorite group. I feel like they were really talented and innovative and creative.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:20 am »

This party is happenin',
It's no mirage,
So sing it again,
Yvan Eht Nioj!

Just remembered what this is from. Wow.
Joooiiiin the Naaaavyyyy!
Join the Navy.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 10:08:08 am »

That season is the only one I ever saw, and Afro Blue was by far my favorite group. I feel like they were really talented and innovative and creative.

Okay, afro blue was decent, they didn't have enough diversity to win the competition in my opinion, pentatonix could do uptempo/ballads/multiple genres

Also, I didn't really follow the most recent season of The Sing-Off.  Any performances worth checking out there?

I want spoil the order but the top few teams were all pretty middling in terms of talent. In fact I remember my girlfriend being upset because she felt there were a lot of good teams in season 3 that could easily have won season 4. Filharmonic does a good job of being boy bandy with a purpose(probably my favorite team) and Home Free has some insanely talented vocalists but they sing mainly country which i have yet to refine my appreciation for enough to rate individual artists(my gf's favorite team)

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=Htmhb-YC5PU - filharmonic

okay forgive me its been awhile, home free was the best on the season by faaaar. I forgot how amazing they sound...
http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=wRxbgPghBN0 - shows off their lead(alto? i'm a fan not a student)
http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=9qhx6tNzmiw - shows off their base
http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=sjsizpoPtIw - shows off their soprano(really I love music but my brain cannot grasp it)

AHHHHH how do i make it just links???? I added a space between . and com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:20:10 am by mcmcsalot »
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 10:20:54 am »

(video)

Hilarious.

Their Harry looks just like dreamboat the real thing, and I lol-ed when he said he was gonna go solo. I was just thinking about how he might do that...

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 10:23:20 am »

You can just use url tags...

filharmonic
shows off their lead
shows off their base
shows off their soprano

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htmhb-YC5PU]filharmonic[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxbgPghBN0]shows off their lead[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhx6tNzmiw]shows off their base[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjsizpoPtIw]shows off their soprano[/url]

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 10:31:29 am »

Home Free: WOW that bass. That guy carries the group for sure.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 11:10:02 am »

I don't know what sing off is but Afro Blue from Howard University? I live outside of DC and hear about them all the time.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:50 am »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 04:50:31 pm »

You can just use url tags...

filharmonic
shows off their lead
shows off their base
shows off their soprano

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htmhb-YC5PU]filharmonic[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxbgPghBN0]shows off their lead[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhx6tNzmiw]shows off their base[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjsizpoPtIw]shows off their soprano[/url]

Can't see those videos in my country, apparently.  C'mon NBC, show Canada some love. :(

(On Pentatonix vs. Afro Blue, I thought Afro Blue was pretty great but Pentatonix was mind-blowing, especially for such a comparatively small goup.  Their sound was incredible and they did so many things that were just unreal.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:51:32 pm by eHalcyon »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2014, 10:01:53 am »
+2

ACROS ARE OUT. ABBREVS ARE IN.

Ever since I entered the corporate world, I've noticed that people use acronyms for EVERYTHING. Maybe they think it makes them sound more knowledgeable, I dunno. I have a problem with it. Not only are you being ambiguous and confusing, but you don't even sound cool anymore; you sound like a dweeb. Acronyms are terrible things, nobody should be using them anymore, and if you do, you are basically a terrorist.

I'M GOING TO PUT MY PIN NUMBER IN THE ATM MACHINE

Over half of the people that use those acronyms use them improperly. When you do, you sound like a twit. Everybody is making fun of the way you can't speak properly. At this point already, with no further justification, most common acronyms are doing more harm than good. I don't use them often, but when I do I put my number in the cash machine; or better still, I put my num in the cash mash.

DDR

There are at least three different meanings in my field for the acronym "DDR". None of them are Dance Dance Revolution, which is what I think of every time they are used. There are even acronyms where some of the letters are acronyms themselves! I ask you what it stands for and you tell me and I still don't know what it means! I don't know about you, but usually when I speak, I do so for the purpose of having people understand what's coming out of my mouth (OK some people just like to hear the sound of their own voice; you people can say whatever you want I guess). Using acronyms, at least one of these two things is happening: 1. you aren't being understood; 2. you are using more energy explaining yourself the way you otherwise would (so what's the point?).

Clearly, we as a society need to address the issue that we've now figured out acronyms are not an effective way of communicating. Acro-ing something is clearly not the way to hash things in our language (or any language, really). I've noticed most people using acronyms these days are older, so maybe we just have to wait for them to die off?

BUT I'LL SOUND EVEN STUPIDER USING ABBREVS!

No.

Seriously, listen to the cool kids talking, are you jeal of that guy putting his p-corn in the m-wave? Totes? I promise you, abbrevs are MUCH cooler than acros. Anyone using acronyms today is clearly behind the times and deserves unending ridicule. Please just stop.

-----

Editor's note: some definitions of "acronym" include the abbrevs that I've mentioned. When I talk about "acronyms" I'm referring to the use of only letters and not chunks of words, just to resolve any ambiguity.

Also, I've been having some thoughts of using certain abbrevs in a literary context: let's say you're having an IM bro session with your friend but you want to be cooler. You would want to type something that sounds like "Check this bro sesh, no bigs, just the uzh." but that's confusing. We really want to say something like "Check this bro seʃ, no bigs, just the ." It would be much easier if these phonetic symbols were easier to type so we could inject maximum awesomeness into more facets of our lives.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2014, 10:44:25 am »

You made my brain hurt...

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 10:49:04 am »

Totes. You know, though, if that made your brain hurt, you should play a game of TTA with me. Oh, the abbrevs...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:21 am »

Totes. You know, though, if that made your brain hurt, you should play a game of TTA with me. Oh, the abbrevs...

TTA stands for Totally Triumphant Acronyms?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 11:01:00 am »

No. Maybe "Totes Triumphant Abbrevs"?

Some people try to say "IBS" for Ideal Building Site, but I have lots of nurses/paramedics in the family so "IBS" means "Irritable Bowel Syndrome"

Now I just call the card "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" or if I'm feeling conciliatory, "ibbs" (one syllable, like "fibs" without the f)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 11:02:53 am »
+2

I had to come up with a name for my weeknight league volleyball team, so I went with "AAA", standing for "Athletes Against Acronyms"

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2014, 11:03:49 am »

I had to come up with a name for my weeknight league volleyball team, so I went with "AAA", standing for "Athletes Against Acronyms"

Nicely played. I appreciate the irony.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2014, 11:45:21 am »

Don't forget the distinction between Initialisms and Acronyms!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:10 am »

Don't forget the distinction between Initialisms and Acronyms!

DFDBIA!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:20 pm »

Excessive use of abbreviations just makes me think of the douche bro stereotype.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2014, 01:21:55 pm »

Do real people talk like this?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

Am I a real person?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »

Am I a real person?

No I mean with excessive abbreviations and acronyms, you saying you hate when people use them, I agree but didn't know people actually used them that often.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2014, 01:47:46 pm »

Well at work I rarely understand what people are saying because they use so many acros.

And I use a lot of abbrevs in my speech.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

Well at work I rarely understand what people are saying because they use so many acros.

Wait I thought this whole thing was a complaint about acronyms and abbreviations...I am SO confused.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »

Wait I thought this whole thing was a complaint about acronyms and abbreviations...I am SO confused.

It is, acros are out, abbrevs are in.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 01:58:20 pm »

Got it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2014, 02:07:06 pm »

Breakthrough!

ASCII codes for these symbols, I will now be using them ALL THE TIME!!!!

ə 601

ʃ 643

ʒ 658

...but they wouldn't work in the f.ds form. That's weird... not on facebook or notepad, but skype seems OK with it

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »

Breakthrough!

ASCII codes for these symbols, I will now be using them ALL THE TIME!!!!

ə 601

ʃ 643

ʒ 658

...but they wouldn't work in the f.ds form. That's weird... not on facebook or notepad, but skype seems OK with it

I'm kind of surprised &#xNNNN; doesn't work here

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »
+2

What is going on!!!!!!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »

I lament on the downfall of the Learning Channel, but then I keep in mind that they chose to call themselves TLC, even though you do not include "the" in acronyms. So it's really their fault for not rightly calling themselves the LC.

Thanks. Now because the acronym included "the" we get Honey Boo Boo.
A man has no signature

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »

I lament on the downfall of the Learning Channel, but then I keep in mind that they chose to call themselves TLC, even though you do not include "the" in acronyms. So it's really their fault for not rightly calling themselves the LC.

Thanks. Now because the acronym included "the" we get Honey Boo Boo.
Wait, what do they claim TLC stands for now? Would we not have Honey Boo Boo if it was just called the LC?

I remember being a kid and watching in awe as I listened to this man (it might have been Carl Sagan) talking about the Sun and how long it will take until it explodes.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:34 pm »
+2

In that case, you should change your username to AHor.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »

...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »

ACROS ARE OUT. ABBREVS ARE IN.

Ever since I entered the corporate world, I've noticed that people use acronyms for EVERYTHING. Maybe they think it makes them sound more knowledgeable, I dunno. I have a problem with it. Not only are you being ambiguous and confusing, but you don't even sound cool anymore; you sound like a dweeb. Acronyms are terrible things, nobody should be using them anymore, and if you do, you are basically a terrorist.

I'M GOING TO PUT MY PIN NUMBER IN THE ATM MACHINE

Over half of the people that use those acronyms use them improperly. When you do, you sound like a twit. Everybody is making fun of the way you can't speak properly. At this point already, with no further justification, most common acronyms are doing more harm than good. I don't use them often, but when I do I put my number in the cash machine; or better still, I put my num in the cash mash.

DDR

There are at least three different meanings in my field for the acronym "DDR". None of them are Dance Dance Revolution, which is what I think of every time they are used. There are even acronyms where some of the letters are acronyms themselves! I ask you what it stands for and you tell me and I still don't know what it means! I don't know about you, but usually when I speak, I do so for the purpose of having people understand what's coming out of my mouth (OK some people just like to hear the sound of their own voice; you people can say whatever you want I guess). Using acronyms, at least one of these two things is happening: 1. you aren't being understood; 2. you are using more energy explaining yourself the way you otherwise would (so what's the point?).

Clearly, we as a society need to address the issue that we've now figured out acronyms are not an effective way of communicating. Acro-ing something is clearly not the way to hash things in our language (or any language, really). I've noticed most people using acronyms these days are older, so maybe we just have to wait for them to die off?

BUT I'LL SOUND EVEN STUPIDER USING ABBREVS!

No.

Seriously, listen to the cool kids talking, are you jeal of that guy putting his p-corn in the m-wave? Totes? I promise you, abbrevs are MUCH cooler than acros. Anyone using acronyms today is clearly behind the times and deserves unending ridicule. Please just stop.

-----

Editor's note: some definitions of "acronym" include the abbrevs that I've mentioned. When I talk about "acronyms" I'm referring to the use of only letters and not chunks of words, just to resolve any ambiguity.

Also, I've been having some thoughts of using certain abbrevs in a literary context: let's say you're having an IM bro session with your friend but you want to be cooler. You would want to type something that sounds like "Check this bro sesh, no bigs, just the uzh." but that's confusing. We really want to say something like "Check this bro seʃ, no bigs, just the ." It would be much easier if these phonetic symbols were easier to type so we could inject maximum awesomeness into more facets of our lives.
A bit of a necro, but I've been thinking about this and I absolutely agree with acronyms being pretty awful. It's bad enough when people use acronyms online that you have to look up, either on a Wiki or through some special glossary. It's even more horrid to use them in speech. If I have to take 5-10 seconds figuring out half the acronyms you're using, then the acronyms are not improving communication, but are instead hurting it.

If you use an acronym in a paper or something, please introduce it first. For example, "When considering DMA (Direct Memory Access) systems..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 20 queries.