Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Division names?  (Read 13204 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Division names?
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

So far, we've had 3 suggestions:

based on money (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Copper)
based on actions (King's Court, Throne Room, Great Hall, Secret Chamber)
based on victory cards (Colony, Province, Duchy, Estate)

For now, I just have some questions. I'll turn this into an actual vote after the other one about the division sizes.

Any more ideas for new categories?
If we stick with these options, how can we extend them? (We may very well need a 5th name, especially if the divisions end up small)
Join the Dominion League!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: Division names?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »

No good idea for treasures. They all sound forced. For the other two I'd go with
King's Court, Throne Room, Great Hall, Secret Chamber, Poor House.
Colony, Province, Duchy, Estate, Hovel

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

I proposed using Villages in the original topic, fitting the theme "places where people gather". It also has the "good" property of easily getting 5 names:

Necropolis
Hamlet
Village
Plaza / Fortress
City

I really dislike, in the example given for "Actions", the fact that King's Court is so much better/expensive than the 2nd division (Throne Room). I would rather use an arithmetic progression, or if that is not possible, have all differences of the price of consecutive ones be in the set {1,2}, to make it more balanced.

EDIT: For the Victory cards, I think Colony,Province, Fairgrounds, Gardens, Estate make a decent quintet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:27:56 pm by soulnet »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
+6

I proposed using Villages in the original topic

Border League, Farming League, Mining League, Walled League, Fishing League, Native League !?  :P

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:41:51 pm »
+5

How about:
top level: 1x $11: Colony
2nd level: 2x $8: Province, Peddler
3rd level: 4x $7: KC, Expand, Bank, Forge
4th level: 8x $6: Gold, Nobles, Grand Market, Altar
5th level: 16x $5: Mountebank, Hunting Party, Laboratory, Rabble, City, Cultist, Market, Upgrade
and so on for 6th and lower

EDIT: specified cards are just examples of first $x cards that came into my mind

EDIT2: Are there 64 official $3 cards? :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:50:54 pm by yed »

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »

I have a proposal that belongs to the league names as well as to the modus

1: 1 World League              World League

2: 3 Continental Leagues:   America League
                                        Europe League (incl. Africa)
                                        Asia League (incl. Australia)

3: 9 National Leagues:       US Pacific
                                        US Atlantic
                                        Columbus (canada and the rest of N+S-America)
                                        Baltic Sea (Scandinavia + Germany)
                                        North Sea (Netherlands, Belgium, UK, France)
                                        Mediterranian East (South and East Europe)
                                        Far East (Japan, Korea, China)
                                        Australia (Australia, NZL, Tiger States)
                                        Central Asia (Russia, India, Middle East and the Rest of Asia)

4: Regional Leagues:          best would be 3 per National League, will highly depend how many player will sign up in the Regions

I think that would be a clear modus and everybody (except the 1 world league) could play without big time differences. The borders in the National Leagues can get modified, depending on the player base in the countries.

It that modus 6-8 players per league would be perfect. The first of each league goes up, the last 3 go down. For example with 8 players (without play-offs):

1.        goes up
2. - 5.  stays
6. - 8.  go down

8 players with play-off:

1. - 4. play for 1 slot to go up in a final four:    semis 1. vs. 4. and 2. vs. 3. + final. a 3-3 draw could count as win for the higher seeded
5. - 8. play for 1 slot to stay in the league:       semis 5. vs. 8. ang 6. vs. 7. +final. a 3-3 draw could count as win for the higher seeded

i think play offs would be nice cause everybody is motivated till the end in group stage, so noone is induced to play bad cause he cant go up anymore or goes down anyway. and play-offs are thriller with a lot of adrenalin.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:42:31 pm by hvb »

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 04:53:30 pm »
+3

I have a proposal that belongs to the league names as well as to the modus

1: 1 World League              World League

2: 3 Continental Leagues:   America League
                                        Europe League (incl. Africa)
                                        Asia League (incl. Australia)

3: 9 National Leagues:       US Pacific
                                        US Atlantic
                                        Columbus (canada and the rest of N+S-America)
                                        Baltic Sea (Scandinavia + Germany)
                                        North Sea (Netherlands, Belgium, UK, France)
                                        Mediterranian East (South and East Europe)
                                        Far East (Japan, Korea, China)
                                        Australia (Australia, NZL, Tiger States)
                                        Central Asia (Russia, India, Middle East and the Rest of Asia)

4: Regional Leagues:          best would be 3 per National League, will highly depend how many player will sign up in the Regions

I think that would be a clear modus and everybody (except the 1 world league) could play without big time differences. The borders in the National Leagues can get modified, depending on the player base in the countries.

It that modus a 6-8 players would be perfect, the first of each league goes up, the last 3 go down. For example with 8 players (without relegation):

1.        goes up
2. - 5.  stays
6. - 8.  go down

8 players with play-off:

1. - 4. play for 1 slot to go up in a final four:    semis 1. vs. 4. and 2. vs. 3. + final. a 3-3 draw could count as win for the higher seeded
5. - 8. play for 1 slot to stay in the league:       semis 5. vs. 8. ang 6. vs. 7. +final. a 3-3 draw could count as win for the higher seeded

i think play offs would be nice cause everybody is motivated till the end in group stage and everybody is able to play the same number of games

I would rather not force geographic boundaries on the leagues. Within a given level, you can group people by timezone, but I think that should be a secondary consideration.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

hvb

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »

I would rather not force geographic boundaries on the leagues. Within a given level, you can group people by timezone, but I think that should be a secondary consideration.

If you devide it geographicly, everybody plays in the same timezone. I agree that for example between the 9 National Leagues the strengh of players should be similar. The idea is, given on the sign ups for the league, to draw the borders in that way, that every league has comparable competion. If that means that we have to make 3 American, 4 European and 2 Asian National Leagues instead of 3/3/3 that shouldnt be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:20:00 pm by hvb »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:20:21 pm »

Remember to name them in a way that leaves room to add more leagues at the bottom later.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 03:48:32 am »
+3

Remember to name them in a way that leaves room to add more leagues at the bottom later.

0, -1, -2, -3, ...

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:20 am »

No, there's about 33 (i counted but may have marginally miscounted)- this includes overpay cards with cost 3 (doctor, masterpiece).
Apart from that, think that's a good idea, was going to propose the same thing.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:51 am »
+2

0, -1, -2, -3, ...

Curse League!
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:11:57 am »
+2

I would just use some defining cards in Dominion, some that we all know and love/hate.

1: Goons
2 (2): Grand Market, Wharf
3 (4): Smithy, Market, Village, Militia
4 (8): Scout, Adventurer, Harvest, Transmute, Philosopher's Stone, Thief, Secret Chamber, Pearl Diver

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:46:17 am »
+1

This one will get my vote. You can expand it with Overgrown Estate, Hovel, Necropolis (Hovel's probably best as previously said), and yes, even Curse, which I think would be fantastic. If you're playing in the Dominion League I think you'd have a good enough sense of humor not to mind playing in the Curse division. I know I would...but I may just be projecting.

You can also throw gardens in there at its price point if you need more in the middle.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:59:21 pm by Voltaire »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 11:56:20 am »
+3

Scout League?

Sidsel

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »
+1

This one will get my vote. You can expand it with Overgrown Estate, Hovel, Necropolis (Hovel's probably best as previously said), and yes, even Curse, which I think would be fantastic. If you're playing in the Dominion League I think you'd have a good enough sense of humor not to mind playing in the Curse division. I know I would...but I may just be projecting.

You can also throw gardens in their at its price point if you need more in the middle.

My vote too. It's intuitive that if you are 'victorious', then you go to a higher 'victory' card.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 01:45:17 pm »
+9

Scout League?

We are avoiding Curse to not make people feel bad, and you want to throw in Scout?

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 04:31:13 pm »

No, there's about 33 (i counted but may have marginally miscounted)- this includes overpay cards with cost 3 (doctor, masterpiece).
Apart from that, think that's a good idea, was going to propose the same thing.

I was going to suggest this solution myself too, so it got my vote.
With 33 cards costing $3, it would be enough for 96 groups. Even with only 5 players per group, it would be enough for 480 players. I don't think it will get to that many, but even if it does, the groups could starting getting numbers too (so we for example have both a Great Hall 1 and Great Hall 2 group).

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »
+3

Honestly ? I'm a boring person. Why not go with Group 1, Group 2A/2B etc ...

I mean, I play chess too - we don't go talking about the "King group", "Queen group" etc..

And if you're talking to a friend : oh, I'm playing in Hovel. You're playing in Peddler ... I dunno, this sounds weird :)
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 05:58:13 am »
+2

Being an even more boring person I think we shouldn't bother with numbers and just follow the alphabet, so that League 1 becomes The A-Team. I've always pictured Stef as Hannibal.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:59:23 am by SheCantSayNo »

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 09:59:01 am »
+4

so that League 1 becomes The A-Team. I've always pictured Stef as Hannibal.

Yes he loves it when his plan comes together :p
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

hvb

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 08:01:01 pm »
+1

Being an even more boring person I think we shouldn't bother with numbers and just follow the alphabet, so that League 1 becomes The A-Team. I've always pictured Stef as Hannibal.

Then I suggest SheCantSayNo to do the Faceman and somehow I have the strange feeling Wandering Winder would be a good Murdoch  ;D

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »
+2

If it's going to be boring like that, I think it should be:

Elite
1A, 1B
2A, 2B, 2C, 2D
3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 3E, 3F, 3G, 3H

and so on.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 01:09:14 pm »

I would just use some defining cards in Dominion, some that we all know and love/hate.

[..]

I really like that one :)
Sounds like one can be proud to be a goon! If I try to find a similar thing, I'd use some other bad guys for the other leagues, with decreasing strength, e.g.:

Goons
Torturer
Marauder
Swindler

I don't really think a fifth name will be needed, but then again: why not Pearl diver? It's a little harmless, and so it is if you're in the bottom league.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 01:28:36 pm »
+1

[..]

I really like that one :)
Sounds like one can be proud to be a goon! If I try to find a similar thing, I'd use some other bad guys for the other leagues, with decreasing strength, e.g.:

Goons
Torturer
Marauder
Swindler

I don't really think a fifth name will be needed, but then again: why not Pearl diver? It's a little harmless, and so it is if you're in the bottom league.
I like the Pearl Diver suggestion. Normally, I would be much higher, I'm just diving for pearls here in the bottom division.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 01:26:25 pm »

how about going by nobles hierarchy (Dominion Card names)

Duke->(Princess->)Margrave->Count->Baron->Knights
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:27:40 pm by MarkowKette »

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:27 am »
+3

I like using cards with different costs, but think that the best names for divisions are those indicating a place or a group of people, and not a person of an activity. Then utterances like "last season I was among the Smugglers, but now In the Armory" make sense.

The Elite division either doesn't get a card name, or is named Province or Colony . And after that we have

• 2 groups costing $7: Bank, King's Court
  • 4 groups costing $6: Grand Market, Fairgrounds, Farmland, Hunting Grounds
  • 8 groups costing $5: Laboratory, Library, Bazaar, Treasury, Wharf, City, Counting House, Vault
  • 16 groups costing $4: Gardens, Smithy, Throne Room, Ironworks, Mining Village, Island, Quarry, Worker's Village, Farming Village, Nomad Camp, Silk Road, Walled Village, Armory, Feodum, Fortress, Plaza
  • 16 groups costing $3: Village, Workshop, Great Hall, Shanty Town, Wishing Well, Fishing Village, Smugglers, Warehouse, Trade Route, Watchtower, Menagerie, Oasis, Tunnel, Black Market, Market Square, Storeroom
  • 16 groups costing <$3: Cellar, Chapel, Courtyard, Secret Chamber, Haven, Lighthouse, Native Village, Hamlet, Poor House, Hovel, Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Abandoned Mine, Ruined Library, Ruined Market, Ruined Village

There are lots of possibilities for $5 and $4 in particular, but these are the ones I like most as division names.

Cost $0 to $2 are in the same 16-group, and if really a big 32-group is needed it will consist of all those  with cost <$4 above.

ADDED: For season 1 it looks like only the bolded names (down to cost $5) will be needed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:10:13 am by pst »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 06:53:03 pm »
+3

I think, it would be easiest to go without card names and just name the divisions
Division 1
Division 2 Group A/B
Division 3 Group A/B/C/D

It's just the most simple solution.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:23:24 pm by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 06:08:35 am »

I think, it would be easiest to go without card names and just name the divisions
Division 1
Division 2 Group A/B
Division 3 Group A/B/C/D

It's just the most simple solution.

If it ends up going like that, I think it sounds better with and elite division on top, and then Division 1 Group A/B and so on.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:05 am »
+2

How about

A
B1, B2
C1, C2, C3, C4
D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, D7, D8

-> I don't like a special name for top division.
-> I like the simple solution but somehow I prefer "Division C group 2" to "Division 3 group B". Can't say I have a good reason for it though.
Join the Dominion League!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 07:04:44 am »

How about

A
B1, B2
C1, C2, C3, C4

-> I like the simple solution but somehow I prefer "Division C group 2" to "Division 3 group B". Can't say I have a good reason for it though.

Just as good for me.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:27 am »
+1

How about

A
B1, B2
C1, C2, C3, C4

The number of groups can theoretically grow to 16. Numbers are easier to follow than letters, though letters are good enough to know if you're in a higher position than another player.

That's one reason. I like the letters for division names and numbers for groups within divisions.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:25 am »

How about

A
B1, B2
C1, C2, C3, C4

This so reminds me of playing soccer.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.