Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Finally went pro...I lost.  (Read 9315 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
Re: Finally went pro...I lost.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 09:46:08 pm »

I once opened Mint on a 5/2 split, pre-Hinterlands (ie no Fools Gold), knowing full well what Mint's on-gain was.

My brain apparently had no problem thinking both "trashing 5 coppers is awesome!" and "I have 7 coin in my deck!" at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:05:45 pm by Voltaire »

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:16 pm »

I once opened Mint on a 5/2 split, pre-Dark Ages (ie no Fools Gold), knowing full well what Mint's on-gain was.

My brain apparently had no problem thinking both "trashing 5 coppers is awesome!" and "I have 7 coin in my deck!" at the same time.

Fool's Gold is in Hinterlands...  ???
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:12 pm »
+1

There was vodka involved.

I'm not sure what my excuse is today, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 10:57:58 pm »
+4

There was vodka involved.

I'm not sure what my excuse is today, though.
You're clearly suffering from a lack of vodka.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tolenmar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:43 am »

Geez, It's that good?

I got a lot to learn. I didn't know about that combo, and a week or two back missed the bishop/fortress golden deck.

I must look like an idiot =)

Dude.  You have no idea what kind of idiocy we've all pulled!  Even now most of us still make bonehead suboptimal plays.  The important thing is that you're figuring this stuff out now :)

But yes, Ambassador is glorious with Tournament for three reasons:

1) It improves the chance of your own Tournament collision by shrinking your deck;
2) It lowers the chance of their Tournament collision by bloating their deck;
3) The two can't be 'drawn dead' together because Tournament gives +1 Action.

Well, I didn't say I was an idiot, just that I look like one. =)

I've read the articles, I've watched videos, but it's like when I tried to improve my chess game. Reading those diagrams and notes and famous old games didn't help one bit.  For some reason I couldn't get the new stuff into my head.

That's what's happening here.  I read the articles and watch the videos, and I understand them.  But when it comes to time to play, it's all gone, and all I have left is the kingdom in front of me, and an opponent I hope doesn't get too angry at me for playing dumb.

Everything you say about amb/tourn sounds good and makes a lot of sense, but when I sit at the table...nothing. I guess I just learn differently.  If I had the time to dedicate to playing multiple games per day against live opponents, I'm sure I would improve much more quickly. But I can't.  It's gonna be a slow crawl (and doesn't the rating system punish you for not playing every day?)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »

Geez, It's that good?

I got a lot to learn. I didn't know about that combo, and a week or two back missed the bishop/fortress golden deck.

I must look like an idiot =)

Dude.  You have no idea what kind of idiocy we've all pulled!  Even now most of us still make bonehead suboptimal plays.  The important thing is that you're figuring this stuff out now :)

But yes, Ambassador is glorious with Tournament for three reasons:

1) It improves the chance of your own Tournament collision by shrinking your deck;
2) It lowers the chance of their Tournament collision by bloating their deck;
3) The two can't be 'drawn dead' together because Tournament gives +1 Action.

Well, I didn't say I was an idiot, just that I look like one. =)

I've read the articles, I've watched videos, but it's like when I tried to improve my chess game. Reading those diagrams and notes and famous old games didn't help one bit.  For some reason I couldn't get the new stuff into my head.

That's what's happening here.  I read the articles and watch the videos, and I understand them.  But when it comes to time to play, it's all gone, and all I have left is the kingdom in front of me, and an opponent I hope doesn't get too angry at me for playing dumb.

Everything you say about amb/tourn sounds good and makes a lot of sense, but when I sit at the table...nothing. I guess I just learn differently.  If I had the time to dedicate to playing multiple games per day against live opponents, I'm sure I would improve much more quickly. But I can't.  It's gonna be a slow crawl (and doesn't the rating system punish you for not playing every day?)
I think it's always more rewarding to make decisions that you believe to be correct. You won't learn very quickly at all if you let another player gives the answers for you without understanding why they are good decisions. Because Dominion has way too many boards for one to know how to play optimally, the real way to improve is to change the way you see the game.

For example, Amb/Tournament is good, but you might still lose with it if you open with it because "this guy said it was the best opening". You still have to know what it's trying to accomplish and not miss any super combos available on the board.

I'm guessing you might learn best by analyzing your own games. Pay the most attention to the lessons learned through your own games. Continue to post them here for feedback when something is not clear to you.

Also, Goko's rating drift (drop in Goko ranking over time) is not nearly as severe as it once was.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »
+1

I wonder how much of a win rate Hermit/Hermit has...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.