Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Getting better  (Read 8523 times)

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Getting better
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:57:42 pm »
+1

I'm Still a newbie here at dominionstrategy. However, I've played for over a year now however, and still haven't gotten any better. That's one of the biggest reasons I came here. Are there any resources/ advice that would help me get better here? Thank You!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Getting better
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »
+2

I'm Still a newbie here at dominionstrategy. However, I've played for over a year now however, and still haven't gotten any better. That's one of the biggest reasons I came here. Are there any resources/ advice that would help me get better here? Thank You!

Check out the articles threads. They contain lots of good information of cards. The best way to get better is to play stronger opponents. Learn from what they do, or what they don't do.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »
+7

Hello!

I would suggest you check this page out first and see if there are any key concepts you aren't so familiar with yet:
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/New_To_Dominion
In particular, the articles on "Big Money" and "The first game engine" are good articles to read.  It's important to understand why Big Money works and why it also isn't the best strategy. 

I personally learned more from watching a few of WanderingWinder's videos (video links are on that same page somewhere) than anything else.  It helps to observe how somebody who's really good at the game plays; try and think of what you would have done in the same situations and why what the other player is doing is better or worse.

See also this thread:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10194.0

Of course, ultimately everyone's experience with the game is different.  If you don't think you're very good, don't get discouraged.  Play people who are good at the game and try to understand what it is they're doing that makes them succeed.  It can help to look over logs at the end of games.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
+2

If you post logs of your games in the "Help!" section of the game reports thread (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=18.0) and give some commentary on what you think you did well/poorly, people are generally very helpful.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:46:38 pm »

If you post logs of your games in the "Help!" section of the game reports thread (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=18.0) and give some commentary on what you think you did well/poorly, people are generally very helpful.
How do you get a url of game logs? I do Have goko salvager, if it is needed

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 07:50:55 pm »

You can search for them here (http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/) and at the end of the game if you click the little picture that looks like a checklist in the bottom right corner it will take you to the log.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:51:14 pm »
+6

This will open a window with the game log. Paste the url of the log in your post to report your results.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:57:17 pm »
+11

Curse you lespeutere, you ninja'd me with myself!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
+7

I've always wondered... and now enough time might have passed for you to come clean... but... were you secretly bragging about beating Lord Bottington?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:49 pm »
+7

I've always wondered... and now enough time might have passed for you to come clean... but... were you secretly bragging about beating Lord Bottington?

I'm not sure why I didn't just resign to get the screen shot, but I do remember thinking desperately "if I lose this I sure am going to have to play another one."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:41:34 pm »

I'm not sure why I didn't just resign to get the screen shot, but I do remember thinking desperately "if I lose this I sure am going to have to play another one."
I lost to Village bot :(
No idea how I was ever 30 on iso.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:24 pm »

I lost to Village bot :(
No idea how I was ever 30 on iso.

I lose to the bots sometimes, it's not a big deal. They aren't terrible at everything, it is just funny because they are sooooo terrible at a lot of things.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 08:49:02 pm »
+7

While you can often entice human opponents into playing a broken mirror, the bots are stubbornly adept at punishing engines that just really don't work.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »

While you can often entice human opponents into playing a broken mirror, the bots are stubbornly adept at punishing engines that just really don't work.

I lost to the Androminion bot 3 times in a row the other day trying to make a fancy procession engine work. I'm still convinced that there has to be a way to win with the engine; I'm just clearly not good enough to find it.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:08:28 am »
+1

Back on topic, welcome!  I always felt like, after reading all of the articles, I never really got any better, but I've gone up 15 levels on the isotropish leaderboard since then.  I think feeling like you haven't improved is more of a psychological thing than anything.

To improve, just play more, especially higher skilled opponents.  If there is ever anything you are unsure of, just ask here and we'll be happy to help.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 12:27:19 am »
+1

You want to know the best thing you can do to get better at Dominion?

Play forum games!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 12:27:57 am »

You want to know the best thing you can do to get better at Dominion?

Play forum games!

Oh, I was going to mention that, but I forgot...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »
+7

This will open a window with the game log. Paste the url of the log in your post to report your results.

Not possible, all curses are gone.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 01:57:42 am »
+1

Not possible, all curses are gone.

I'm going to Ruin you!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:19 am »
+3

Idea: has any veteran considered tutoring someone over skype and uploading it for others to watch?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:42 am »

Idea: has any veteran considered tutoring someone over skype and uploading it for others to watch?
Had the same idea yesterday... ;)

Analize a random board where the newbie tells, what he spots and is trying to do. The veteran could then interfere, if that idea is just to crazy or too boring. Then both play the match (the veteran could still explain his moves).After the game there should be some analysis again to point out, what has worked out and what hasn't and WHY.
Also, I'm convinced, that even if both players go for the same engine, it's a huge question, when to buy which engine card. So even if the pregame analysis ends up in a mirror match, the veteran should still be able to win.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 02:15:29 pm »

Had the same idea yesterday... ;)

Analize a random board where the newbie tells, what he spots and is trying to do. The veteran could then interfere, if that idea is just to crazy or too boring. Then both play the match (the veteran could still explain his moves).After the game there should be some analysis again to point out, what has worked out and what hasn't and WHY.
Also, I'm convinced, that even if both players go for the same engine, it's a huge question, when to buy which engine card. So even if the pregame analysis ends up in a mirror match, the veteran should still be able to win.

I don't have skype (I know, I should get it), but I wouldn't mind playing against some weaker opponents to try to help them a bit. I always do this with my friends. I tell them exactly what I'm going to do, as well as point out some interactions, and tell them they are free to do as I do or try something else. It works out well, and it feels fair to the new players because I'm not using "obscure" strategies to beat them.

PM me is you're interested, we can try to set a time.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 03:00:19 pm »

I have seen some videos of other games with an expert coaching a newish player.  It's an interesting idea, but it might be hard to find a good combination of people for it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »

I tried coaching an IRL friend once. He just ended up disagreeing with half of the things I said. I tried to get him out of a formulaic mindset of playing Dominion, but I guess he had already committed to the idea that success at Dominion involves doing things in a predetermined order.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »
+2

I tried coaching an IRL friend once. He just ended up disagreeing with half of the things I said. I tried to get him out of a formulaic mindset of playing Dominion, but I guess he had already committed to the idea that success at Dominion involves doing things in a predetermined order.

Coaching is the wrong word. Teaching, or giving hints is the right way to think of it. If Hermit-Market Square is in the kingdom, you can point out the combo. If they think you're wrong, just show them you aren't with a game.

I don't ever insist that I'm right. If they think I'm wrong, they are welcome to try doing something else. When they lose a high percentage of games, they'll probably realize that perhaps that their way of doing things wasn't the most optimal.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.529 seconds with 22 queries.