Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New card idea - Circumnavigator  (Read 3960 times)

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
New card idea - Circumnavigator
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

Circumnavigater
Cost- $5
Type- Action
+1 action. You may put your deck into your discard pile, if you do +1 card. Otherwise, +$2

I haven't tested this one yet, so it is probably really messed up, but I really like the idea of a cantrip chancellor. But what if you didn't want to discard your deck? That's why I think you should have the option of it being a silver. I also might want to change the wording to "choose one" style, but I'm not too sure.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: New card idea - Circumnavigator
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »
+3

Have you considered exactly what this card does when you play it, and as such why it would be probably even worse than Chancellor?

Hint: Try playing it out just once and you'll see the issue.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

clloxin

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:11:40 pm »

Oops.. yeah, I see it now.  A cantrip chancellor doesn't look so good after all  ;D. That should have been obvious.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:15:48 pm »

This can be fixed by changing the wording, though, like such:

+1 action
Choose one: +1 card, then put your deck into your discard pile; OR +$2.

I still think the card would be relatively weak, but at least it would work.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

clloxin

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »

Wouldn't it still be terrible that way? There might be something I'm missing though, I'm still a newbie here.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 05:54:24 pm »

The first time I saw Chancellor, I thought it should have costed $2 and have its +$2 replaced by +1 card +1 action...

and if you look at the $2 costing cantrips we already have, by order of appearance :
-Pawn (a cantrip only if you want it)
-Pearl Diver (move bottom to top... only when you have that extra $2 and to enable conspirator/TR/KC...)
-Haven (though you lose +1 card due to the duration effect)
-Hamlet (sometimes a great card)
-Vagrant (already better than Pearl diver)

So yeah, just a 6th $2 cantrip, it wouldn't have been that bad, right ? Especially when you have cards such as Courtyard, Fool's gold or Chapel at $2.

Aaaand... to come back to the main topic :
this card is either +1 action +$2 OR cantrip + chancellor effect. The two cards that can give you "+1 action +$2" only for $5 are Mystic (pretty low-ranked on Qvist's cards) and Minion (better when stacked). But this card hasn't many purposes. And I don't know if a price fix would be the best, because so far away we haven't "+1 action +$2" cards for less than $5 other than an activated Conspirator...

plus putting deck into discard pile : chancellor does this, it's a bad card, Trusty steed does this but only coming with 4 silvers along and 3 other options are mainly more interesting, Scavenger does this and it is cool, sometimes. So a pure "discard for nothing" is... bad for $5.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 06:00:06 pm »

Wouldn't it still be terrible that way? There might be something I'm missing though, I'm still a newbie here.

The point Tables is getting at is that +1 card after "discarding" would immediately trigger a reshuffle.  Placing the +1 card before the "discard" prevents this. 
Well you *do* need a signature...

clloxin

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:14:54 pm »

The point Tables is getting at is that +1 card after "discarding" would immediately trigger a reshuffle.  Placing the +1 card before the "discard" prevents this.
I noticed that first ,but then I though about it and Realized how bad this card would be even if It had the +1 card before.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 06:23:48 pm »

Yeah, I said I would still expect it to be weak. I was hesitant to say it'd be terrible, because it gives options and it can be easy to underestimate the value of cards with multiple options, but I still doubt this would be good. I feel like it should cost less, and have a weaker generic option (as in non-drawing decks it's strictly superior to Silver... but maybe that's not too big of a deal?).

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »

wouldn't you sometimes want to trigger the reshuffle if you had a bad hand or something?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 06:29:37 pm »

what about:

Circumnavigater
Cost- $5
Type- Action
+1 card
+1 action
You may put your deck into your discard pile, if you do +1 card. Otherwise, +$2 and discard a card from your hand.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 06:35:43 pm »

what about:

Circumnavigater
Cost- $5
Type- Action
+1 card
+1 action
You may put your deck into your discard pile, if you do +1 card. Otherwise, +$2 and discard a card from your hand.

Read the first few comments. This doesn't solve any issue. And this would also be superior than Lab at $5

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 06:39:02 pm »
+1

I read them, and like I said:
wouldn't you sometimes want to trigger the reshuffle if you had a bad hand or something?
It isn't superior to lab because you often don't want to trigger the reshuffle. It is only sometimes superior, like hunting party.

clloxin

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:39 pm »

It seems it would almost always be better than lab, like hunting party. At times it would be worse, but overall it would be better, and not in the unique style like hunting party.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »

I read them, and like I said:
It isn't superior to lab because you often don't want to trigger the reshuffle. It is only sometimes superior, like hunting party.
Not only does it have one option that's usually superior to Lab, it also has another option.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 08:39:50 pm »

I really want to play a game involving this card. In real life. Preferably against an opponent who can't shuffle for toffee and regularly drops his cards on the table while attempting to do so.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.