Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18  All

Author Topic: What Card Am I?  (Read 123762 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: What Card Am I?
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2014, 12:37:28 pm »

(1) You have enough coins to buy a Colony, you have a potion in play, >= 1 buy, and no coppers in play.  I am in the supply, but you cannot buy me.  What card am I?

(2) You process me with Procession, to play me twice.  There are no reaction cards played this turn, or other on-trash effects (so no Fortress), or anything else in play.  Basically, you have no other action cards in your hand after you play me the 2 times, and there are no weird shenanigans going on (Possession, etc.).  You gain your other action card from the Procession.  But you don't trash me, and at the end of the game, I'm still in your deck.  What card am I?  (Hint: this may be a Goko-bug -- not sure what is actually supposed to happen here.)

(3) You Thrown Room/King's Court me, you don't trash me, but you cannot actually play me more than once this turn (unless you have another one of me -- you could play that one).  What card am I?

--> As always, there are probably multiple possible answers for each of these.  I did my best to limit the possibilities to 1 card each :)

1) You could be either a Knight or a Ruin.

2) I'm guessing Goko bug.

3) I may be missing something, but I don't think there is any action card that can't be played more than once. There are plenty of cards where the second play would have no effect (e.g. Watchtower, Prince, Outpost, Tactician).

(1) Why couldn't I buy those?  Oh I see -- it could be a certain type of knight or ruin, which isn't on top.  That's wrong because you *could* buy me if you had enough buys/coins.  You *cannot* buy the card I'm thinking of, under the circumstances listed.

(2) You might or might not be on the right path.

(3) Wrong.  There is such an action card -- the one I'm thinking of.  And no, it's not a card that does nothing the second time -- you simply cannot play it the second time.
EDIT: Prince is worth a second look, but I believe it doesn't work because after you play it once and set it aside, you can still play it the second time - it just does nothing because it's already set aside.  Regardless, it's not the card I'm thinking of.

Come on people, dig deep here!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:48:14 pm by Dingan »

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2014, 12:38:29 pm »

(1) You have enough coins to buy a Colony, you have a potion in play, >= 1 buy, and no coppers in play.  I am in the supply, but you cannot buy me.  What card am I?

(2) You process me with Procession, to play me twice.  There are no reaction cards played this turn, or other on-trash effects (so no Fortress), or anything else in play.  Basically, you have no other action cards in your hand after you play me the 2 times, and there are no weird shenanigans going on (Possession, etc.).  You gain your other action card from the Procession.  But you don't trash me, and at the end of the game, I'm still in your deck.  What card am I?  (Hint: this may be a Goko-bug -- not sure what is actually supposed to happen here.)

(3) You Thrown Room/King's Court me, you don't trash me, but you cannot actually play me more than once this turn (unless you have another one of me -- you could play that one).  What card am I?

--> As always, there are probably multiple possible answers for each of these.  I did my best to limit the possibilities to 1 card each :)
Have no idea on 1 or 2, haven't seen all the cards, but for 3 I would guess

Fool's Gold?

You cannot Thrown/KC a card that isn't an action, can you?

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »

(3) Wrong.  There is such an action card -- the one I'm thinking of.  And no, it's not a card that does nothing the second time -- you simply cannot play it the second time.
EDIT: Prince is worth a second look, but I believe it doesn't work because after you play it once and set it aside, you can still play it the second time - it just does nothing because it's already set aside.  Regardless, it's not the card I'm thinking of.

Come on people, dig deep here!!

Hmm, I don't think I'm wrong, but I would be interested in being proven wrong. If you're thinking of Madman, you are wrong.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2014, 01:29:56 pm »
+2

(2) Island
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:32:18 pm by Simon (DK) »

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2014, 01:37:23 pm »

(2) Island

Correct!!  I realized after the fact that Prince almost worked, except the wording "You gain your other action card from the Procession" ruled it out because there is no action worth 1 more than Prince, and this cannot be accomplished with Highways/Bridges.  Like I hinted at, this might be a Goko bug, unless it is some sort of rule that cards that are "set aside" cannot then be trashed.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2014, 01:40:01 pm »

(2) Island

Correct!!  I realized after the fact that Prince almost worked, except the wording "You gain your other action card from the Procession" ruled it out because there is no action worth 1 more than Prince, and this cannot be accomplished with Highways/Bridges.  Like I hinted at, this might be a Goko bug, unless it is some sort of rule that cards that are "set aside" cannot then be trashed.

It's not a bug. It's a case of the loose track rule. Island moves itself, so Procession can't find Island when the Procession is trying to trash the Island.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2014, 01:41:02 pm »

Hint for (1): You can gain me.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:36 pm »

You're not talking about Duchess, right? You can still buy Duchess. There's just an extra way to gain it.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #283 on: December 23, 2014, 01:51:43 pm »

You're not talking about Duchess, right? You can still buy Duchess. There's just an extra way to gain it.

No, not Duchess.

Btw there might need to be an edit on (1): you cannot buy me *THIS TURN*.  You may buy me other turns.  And you can gain me this turn.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:52:49 pm by Dingan »

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 23, 2014, 01:55:40 pm »
+2

(1) can be anything if you've played a Contraband.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #285 on: December 23, 2014, 01:56:30 pm »

Bingo!  Answer: the contraband card that your opponent had named.

Rubby

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2014, 01:57:12 pm »
+1

But:
I did my best to limit the possibilities to 1 card each

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2014, 02:03:08 pm »

But:

Depends what you define a "card" as I guess.  Is the Bane card 1 "card"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2014, 02:05:36 pm »

For 3, I think you might mean Band of Misfits.  But that would be wrong.  Technically, you can never play BoM except when there is absolutely nothing in the supply for it to be.  It is the card you choose from the very first play.

Rubby

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:12 pm »
+1

But:

Fair enough, but I must protest your rejection of my answer.

(1) Why couldn't I buy those?  Oh I see -- it could be a certain type of knight or ruin, which isn't on top.  That's wrong because you *could* buy me if you had enough buys/coins.  You *cannot* buy the card I'm thinking of, under the circumstances listed.

Your answer is no less "wrong" because you *could* buy it if it were not contrabanded.

The circumstances you listed allow for not having played a Contraband just as well as they allow for the ability to buy any specific Knight or Ruin.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #290 on: December 23, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »

But:

Fair enough, but I must protest your rejection of my answer.

Your answer is no less "wrong" because you *could* buy it if it were not contrabanded.

The circumstances you listed allow for not having played a Contraband just as well as they allow for the ability to buy any specific Knight or Ruin.

Technically you are right on all points here.  Except I would say that if there is no named contraband card, then you still cannot buy it -- because it doesn't exist -- and so it's still the correct answer.  But I had said "you can gain me" as an edit later, which nullifies this reasoning.

EDIT: I guess then the named contraband card would not be in the supply, so it can't be an answer.  Ok fine then.  Correct answers: named contraband card, a ruins that is not on top and you have 1 buy, a knight that is not on top and you have 1 buy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:25:31 pm by Dingan »

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2014, 01:23:11 am »

(3) seems impossible, since you can play an Action card from anywhere, and it can always fail to do what it says.
I'm thinking maybe something like Madman, where you return it to the Supply, but the Procession-Madman interaction is +4 Actions, double handsize only once, gain Poor House if it's on the board. Or on play trash, but that has the same issue: TR-Feast is gain 2 cards and trash Feast.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 24, 2014, 08:38:18 am »

There can be multilple contrabanded cards.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 24, 2014, 08:39:33 am »
+2

moat?

Wait, is there even a question here...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #294 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:33 am »

For (3), I guess I'll just put it out there since it's open to controversy.  I was thinking Madman.  I could have sworn when you Thrown Room it, you only get +2 actions, not +4, and double hand size once.  But because I can't test this out right now, I'm willing to take your word that it in fact is played twice.  My bad.  I'll reply once I get around to testing it out and seeing what actually happens.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 24, 2014, 10:11:33 am »

Pretty sure you get 4 actions. The only reason you don't double handsize twice is the "if you did" clause.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 24, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

Official FAQ from wiki.dominionstrategy.com:

Normally, nothing will prevent you from returning Madman to the Madman pile, but you may fail to due to playing Madman twice via Procession, Throne Room (from Dominion), or King's Court (from Prosperity).
So, for example, if you Procession a Madman, you will get +2 Actions, return Madman to the Madman pile, draw a card per card in your hand, get another +2 Actions, fail to return Madman and so not draw cards the second time, fail to trash Madman, and then gain an Action card costing exactly $1 if you can.

So, the cards are conditional on returning the Madman, the actions are not. So you do play it twice.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

SpinBlack

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 24, 2014, 03:40:29 pm »

Isn't this just Cultist?
Also, seeing thrown room being throne around in this thread is making my brain hurt.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 24, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »

Isn't this just Cultist?
Also, seeing thrown room being throne around in this thread is making my brain hurt.
No.

It's true that Cultist allows you to immediately play a Cultist before the TR/KC-Cultist finishes resolving due to the special stack effect. Whether or not you play another Cultist, you still replay the specific Cultist that was chosen for TR/KC afterwards, and you can even play another cultist after drawing cards from the second (or third in the case of KC) play of the Cultist, due to the stack effect.

SpinBlack

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 24, 2014, 07:29:57 pm »

Isn't this just Cultist?
No.

It's true that Cultist allows you to immediately play a Cultist before the TR/KC-Cultist finishes resolving due to the special stack effect. Whether or not you play another Cultist, you still replay the specific Cultist that was chosen for TR/KC afterwards, and you can even play another cultist after drawing cards from the second (or third in the case of KC) play of the Cultist, due to the stack effect.
Fine.

Band of Misfits as Ironworks, gaining the last Ironworks.
There are no more < $5 cards remaining in the Kingdom.
TR/KC fails to play the first BoM more than once because it fails to find an Ironworks in the Supply to copy.
You are still able to play another BoM though it does nothing to copy another card.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:44:28 pm by SpinBlack »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.