Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Transmute?  (Read 1916 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Transmute?
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:29:52 am »

This board: Stables, Apprentice, Golem, Treasury, Bureaucrat, Feodum, Transmute, Quarry, Oracle, Poor House

...seems pretty slow.

Apprentice can accelerate things, but it's only safe when you're ahead of course and there's only 1 buy on the board, so getting more than $8 in your hand is a waste.

So I opted to go for Transmute just to do something else and because I could use the Potion for Golem which would come in handy later on.
My opponent played Stables-money and I beat him pretty handily with a combination of Transmute, Stables and Golem (and an Oracle). I aggressively trashed some Stables for Duchies as the Stables became more unreliable and the points more welcome after I had converted all of my Estates to Golds.

Another "option" here might be Bureaucrat/Feodum? But that seems like a pretty bad idea with Apprentice around for the Province player.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Transmute?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:01:13 am »

Bureaucrat/feodum, would want a +buy to be able to buy feodum+silver or double silver or double feodum. Plus you could pick a Province or two. But I do think you need a +buy card.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:05:55 am »

Bureaucrat/feodum, would want a +buy to be able to buy feodum+silver or double silver or double feodum. Plus you could pick a Province or two. But I do think you need a +buy card.
Yeah, the lack of that made me go the slow route.

Maybe simply going with Stables-money helped by an Apprentice or two to grab a quick lead and keeping it is maybe the way to go here, but definitely less fun than going with Transmute and Golem. Also the lack of +Buy made me think Transmuting actions into Duchies could be very helpful to make up for lost tempo later on.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:33:44 am by Davio »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:10:51 am »

Maybe simply going with Stables-money helped by an Apprentice or two to grab a quick lead and keeping it is the way to go here, but definitely less fun than going with Transmute and Golem. Also the lack of +Buy made me think Transmuting actions into Duchies could be very helpful to make up for lost tempo later on.

I don't think Golem/Transmute is wrong. It's probably stronger, but at the same time if you don't get the Golem fast enough you could be seriously slowed down. It's not too unlikely not to hit $4P and just have a dead potion (not totally dead, but you don't need tons of Transmutes).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:34:23 am »

Maybe simply going with Stables-money helped by an Apprentice or two to grab a quick lead and keeping it is the way to go here, but definitely less fun than going with Transmute and Golem. Also the lack of +Buy made me think Transmuting actions into Duchies could be very helpful to make up for lost tempo later on.

I don't think Golem/Transmute is wrong. It's probably stronger, but at the same time if you don't get the Golem fast enough you could be seriously slowed down. It's not too unlikely not to hit $4P and just have a dead potion (not totally dead, but you don't need tons of Transmutes).
I grabbed an early Quarry to help me along, thinking that it would just get Stables and/or Treasuries if not coupled with Potion.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:43 am »

I grabbed an early Quarry to help me along, thinking that it would just get Stables and/or Treasuries if not coupled with Potion.

Right, I forgot there was Quarry. That helps a lot.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.