Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How many coppers are too few to trash with Mint?  (Read 2879 times)

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
How many coppers are too few to trash with Mint?
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:26:27 am »

I had a scenario with +1 from a prior Fishing Village, playing a new Fishng Village for +1, and I had 3 Copper.  Is 3 Copper too few to buy a Mint to trash 3 Coppers?

Note I have a Gold in my deck at this point.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: How many coppers are too few to trash with Mint?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:09 am »

Mint by itself has uses, but it is not an overpowering card.  Ideally you want to trash more than 3 C's but if you are willing to commit to Mint I would say you should try to trash as many of your remaining C's by buying another.  You have a Gold to copy and it helps that you have the Fishing Villages because you will usually have the extra actions.  I would then try to pick up some +buys and non-terminals for draw power or cycling, or more FV and maybe go for a combo deck.  Remoldel is very good here as is Venture or Hoard.  Apprentice, Bishop and Salvager are also strong; any will help you push through the end game well by converting extra G's into other resources.

Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:17:34 am »

If you don't trash many poor treasures the mint becomes a very slow card. It's a 5-cost terminal action that improves your discard pile rather than adding to your hand, needing good draws with the right treasure cards to be productive.

I'd suggest that mint isn't a great partner to the fishing village unless your other action cards can draw big hands. When you draw a hand of 5 cards and one is a fishing village, one a mint, one a victory card, you're asking a lot of those other two cards to get a good result (at any stage of the game). On the other hand, if you have some good hand expanding cards in your deck you can probably use them to draw more than 3 coppers and get a better mint turn.

If there are other trashing cards in your deck then the situation changes. An apprentice is very slow at trashing coppers, however a mint is fast at trashing coppers and an apprentice is fast at trashing mints.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:44:17 pm »

Maybe - do you have other trashing?  If you can get rid of more coppers in other ways, then maybe just trashing two is good enough.  How many treasures do you want to Mint?  Minting Ventures, Banks, and Platinum rocks.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:24:47 pm »

It was a non-Platinum/Colony game, and there wasn't any powerful draw.  I'm guessing in that kingdom, based on the replies, it wouldn't have been great to get a Mint unless it trashed more than 3 Copper.

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:32 pm »

It depends what you can do with the mint itself, along with what you think the chances are of drawing more coppers on a later turn.  So you have to judge the draw power available in your deck/strategy, as well as if there is another trashing action, which would enable you to buy more than one mint, especially if it's bishop, apprentice, salvager or even trade route (which are great for trashing mints, and slow/poor for trashing coppers).  The mint itself is also a lot more useful in colony games due to platinum.

If I think I will draw all my coppers in a turn or two, I would not buy it.  If I have no non-terminal draw power and there's no other trashing, I would buy it to trash the 3.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.