Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea - Rules text question - Reward  (Read 4338 times)

senseless

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Card Idea - Rules text question - Reward
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:28:40 am »
+1

Reward, a treasure-reaction card worth a copper usually, but worth a gold when used as a reaction to an attack card.

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal and set this apart. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into play and +3$.

Is my current text, but somehow I don't think it's right. Does putting it into play trigger the 1$? How would you write it?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea - Rules text question - Reward
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:18 am »
+4

How about a slightly different version?

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---------------
When another player plays an attack, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile, putting it in your hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:47:00 am »

no, this doesn't work. first of all, the way you phrased it, you get the bonus one turn late.

I think the easiest way to phrase this is similar to Fool's Gold.

Reward
Treasure
If another Player has played an attack card since your last turn, this is worth $3
Otherwise, it's worth $1

Doing it with spoils does work too, though it's not exactly the same
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:48:48 am by silverspawn »

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:26:08 am »

Spoils would be vulnerable to discard attacks.

I've modified your text a bit. I think it should do what you intend.

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---
1$
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal and set this aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into play and +2$.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 07:29:30 am »

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---
1$
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal and set this aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into play and +2$.

i might be wrong, but I don't think this works at all. you can't put it into play at the beginning of your next turn, because your turn starts with your action phase.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:31 am »

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---
1$

i might be wrong, but I don't think this works at all. you can't put it into play at the beginning of your next turn, because your turn starts with your action phase.
The existence of Black Market would suggest that you can play treasures in your action phase if a card specifically allows you to do so.

senseless

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:40:28 am »

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---------------
When another player plays an attack, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile, putting it in your hand.

But the Spoils can be discarded, and you could draw the Reward again and play it for an extra +1$.

no, this doesn't work. first of all, the way you phrased it, you get the bonus one turn late.

Reward
Treasure
If another Player has played an attack card since your last turn, this is worth $3
Otherwise, it's worth $1

What do you mean getting the bonus a turn later?
You can draw it during your turn so it could reward an attack it didn't see. Also, setting aside helps against Militia attacks.

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---
1$

What does having a 1$ both over and under the line mean? But yes, this was what I was asking about; if putting it into play (Horse Traders style) triggered the 'basic' 1$.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 07:47:52 am »
+1

I don't think there is an official card that just "puts" something into play, but you could always do this:

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal and set this apart. If you do, at the start of your next turn, play it and +2$.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:58:09 am »

Reward
Treasure
Otherwise, it's worth $1

What do you mean getting the bonus a turn later?
nothing... forget i said that.

You can draw it during your turn so it could reward an attack it didn't see. Also, setting aside helps against Militia attacks.
that's true. i still don't think playing treasures during action phase is a good idea though. you could change it to:

If another Player plays an attack card, you may set this card aside. If you do, return it to your hand at the beginning of your next turn and during your next buying phase, it's is worth 3$ instead of 1$
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:59:22 am by silverspawn »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:09:36 am »
+2

Reward
Treasure-Reaction
1$
---------------

But the Spoils can be discarded, and you could draw the Reward again and play it for an extra +1$.

If you don't want that, you can always make it "When another player plays an attack, you may reveal this card and set it aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, discard it and gain a Spoils, putting it in your hand." Of course, you could still draw the Reward again, but I think that's a minor concern.

Generally though, I don't think this card is a very good idea. Reaction cards should always add some benefit to your deck even if you don't get the reaction. But this in a kingdom without attacks is just a second pile of Coppers, which is not interesting at all.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:39 am »

Couldn't you just get +$2 and put it back into your hand at the start of your turn? That's effectively +$3 since you can play it that same turn.

But I agree 100% with faust that having it just be a Copper when played normally is bad.

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:30 am »

"When another player plays an attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, at the start of your next turn, play this three times."

You're playing the card from the set-aside area, which has no precedent, but I don't see why that works any less than playing it from the in-play area (which Counterfeit already does).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:44:31 am by rrwoods »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 09:58:34 am »

You can if the card tells you to do it, just like BM. In any case, I would change to "start of your next Buy phase", just because is simpler with the same amount of text.

I like this wording better:

This is worth $1 if played from your hand, and $3 otherwise.
---------------
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal this and set it aside from your hand. If you do, play it at the beginning of your next buy phase.

Notice that it is not strictly the same, this combos better with Venture, but its a minor difference and I personally like it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 10:18:31 pm »

You can if the card tells you to do it, just like BM. In any case, I would change to "start of your next Buy phase", just because is simpler with the same amount of text.

I like this wording better:

This is worth $1 if played from your hand, and $3 otherwise.
---------------
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal this and set it aside from your hand. If you do, play it at the beginning of your next buy phase.

Notice that it is not strictly the same, this combos better with Venture, but its a minor difference and I personally like it.
This is a very elegant solution! It also makes up a bit for the fact that not every kingdom has attack cards in it. As faust pointed put, being just a Copper for most of the time would make this card boring and not worthwhile. To overcome this problem even better, you could make the card react not to attacks but to something more trivial, e. g. "When another player buys a card" or even "When you buy a card". The latter would encourage you to forfeit some buying power ($1) this turn in order to have +$3 on your next turn. This would ensure the reaction part gets played more frequently, always implying a strategic decision.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.