Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I'm bored: here's a rules nightmare  (Read 1450 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
I'm bored: here's a rules nightmare
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:16:30 am »

Implosion
Cost: $4
Action-Duration
This turn and next turn:
All treasure cards are actions. Their text is "+1 Action. Draw cards equal to how much this card would normally be worth."
All non-treasure cards not named Implosion are Treasures. Their text is "+$ equal to half the cost of this card, rounded down."
(This affects all players)

I am actually considering this as a card, but I am positive there are plenty of reasons not to use it. Let's see who will come up with the most compelling arguments, shall we?
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: I'm bored: here's a rules nightmare
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:44:38 am »

Combined with any Village, on two turns, Silver is a Laboratory, and Gold is a card that would probably cost $8 normally.

Even without a Village, suddenly every green card is useful, and chances are you will draw a ton.

It's a mini-Chancellor, and on your first Implosion-Duration turn, you're guaranteed to draw three Estates to buy a fourth.  Future Implosion turns, guaranteed four Estates to get another Implosion, then some $4 and higher cards.

Open Silver/Implosion.  Grab a couple Estates and either another Silver or a *Village.  Yet another "race" card.

Guaranteed $3-plus cash on the Duration turn, Village has a chance of doing that two turns in a row, mini-Chancellor so you play it most turns, race conditions.  $5 at least.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

metzgerism

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:03:36 am »

Combined with any Village, on two turns, Silver is a Laboratory, and Gold is a card that would probably cost $8 normally.

Even without a Village, suddenly every green card is useful, and chances are you will draw a ton.
Yeah...but that doesn't do any work to exclude it completely. Gold is a card that IS worth $8 when you Remodel it...and that costs $4 also, plus a village of some sort, I'm really not seeing the issue...

It's a mini-Chancellor, and on your first Implosion-Duration turn, you're guaranteed to draw three Estates to buy a fourth.  Future Implosion turns, guaranteed four Estates to get another Implosion, then some $4 and higher cards.

Open Silver/Implosion.  Grab a couple Estates and either another Silver or a *Village.  Yet another "race" card.

Guaranteed $3-plus cash on the Duration turn, Village has a chance of doing that two turns in a row, mini-Chancellor so you play it most turns, race conditions.  $5 at least.
I think the bigger problems with this one is that it doesn't work well without villages UNLESS the game gets really wonky and stops being Dominion.

Plus, the whole estates = $ thing just ruins the game - it's basically a card that turns your really horrible deck into big money...we only ever see deck-suicide strategies working in games with Possession.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:09:37 am »

Perhaps at this point, I should mention that originally, Victory cards stayed as Victory cards and Implosion turned only actions to treasure. Then I decided that hosed Big Money waaaaay too hard. Of course, I forgot I could remove the Duration part and make the card only affect yourself. I might try that. Interesting feedback so far...

One big problem is that this card creates standardized decks. But it does it for one turn (2 for the duration version), which might be okay, especially if some Implosion based strategy is not overly dominant.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.