Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: GokoDom III: Round 2 Discussion Thread  (Read 88276 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
GokoDom III: Round 2 Discussion Thread
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:33:00 am »

Post your logs here and discuss!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom III: Round 2 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10:51 pm »
+2

I once again recorded the match with BraveBear here are the videos.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

enjoy watching and thank you bravebear for the games.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:25:26 pm by RTT »

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:01 am »

RTT, SCSN: logs?

Or is it not mandatory to post logs now?

EDIT: I mean here. I'm asking because I sometimes look at them even when there is no commentary from participans.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:57:34 am by yed »

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:49 am »

i thought that just posting the result in the result thread is mandatory and everything in this thread is optionaly. I was a little lazy searching the logs with the logsearch and then copy paste them and having videos is much more entertaining to watch then the logs.

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:47 am »
+1

Thank you RTT for the games.

Game 1, I did get quite unlucky with both my chapel and militia missing the first shuffle.  However if I was going to have any chance of coming back after that I should have started buying silvers instead of all those workers villages.  Even if I did that I still think it was too much of an uphill battle.

Game 2, Yes I agree with you that familiar is the obvious choice.  However I still stand by my play to go hard for tournaments.  I've played many games where it takes a long time for someone to get a province when they go familiar and if I line up enough prizes before I get too clogged with curses then I'm all set.  However my huge mistake which you point out is not going followers with my second prize.  Also I shouldn't have bought that second trading post like you said, gold would have been much better.

Game 3,  This was a mirror match where I completely forgot you could gain with graverobber.  I trashed my two nobles much too early.  Great play recognizing that my economy was only at 7 and picking those nobles out of the trash.

All in All I think I made many mistakes against a great player.  Got unlucky didn't help but wasn't the reason I lost.

-Bear

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:31 am »

Yeah, I don't want to make posting logs here mandatory, but remember that lots of people like to see discussion of the logs.  It would be really nice if everyone would post the logs.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:05 pm »
+1

In the OP of the results thread it says "week 1" where it should say "week 2". If it would have been ok to post this in the results thread directly, please say so.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:24:43 pm »
+5

SheCantSayNo - Rabid: 3 - 1

Rabid beat me in Round 2 of Gokodom I, so I was eager to return the favor ;)

Code: [Select]
Forager, Village, Mining Village, Moneylender, Scout, Wandering Minstrel, Contraband, Mandarin, Merchant Ship, Venture
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140224/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1393278496687.txt (1 - 0)

I open Moneylender/Forager to Rabid's Merchant Ship on 2/5, which I think is awful to have here. We both end up playing a combination of Merchant Ships and Ventures and I win it on FPA I think. Not too sure about the plan, I don't like Venture in general and it didn't work that great here, maybe just going for Merchant Ships + Wandering Minstrels would have been better.

Transmute, Candlestick Maker, Fortune Teller, Oasis, Village, Herald, Butcher, Council Room, Horn of Plenty, Goons
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140224/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1393279649729.txt (1 - 1)

Obvious Goons engine. Rabid has 2/5 again which is a lot better here than it was in the previous game. I open Herald/Fortune Teller. The Herald might have been a bit too early and Oasis/FT is probably better. I don't hit 5 during my 2nd shuffle which is really bad and then I hit 6 and buy a Goons, which I think was a big mistake and should have been a Butcher because you really want the trashing if you're going for the Herald plan. Rabid goes for Council Room with Villages which is obviously fine but too late for me to mirror, and I lose without much of a shot at anything.

Apothecary, Woodcutter, Workshop, Death Cart, Island, Council Room, Junk Dealer, Royal Seal, Farmland, Forge
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140224/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1393280485858.txt (2 - 1)

I open Potion/Woodcutter for Apothecary against Rabid's Silver/Silver for Council Room-BM. I like the Apothecary plan better here, especially with Island to store away Estates and Farmland for cheap Provinces.   On T11 I make a very questionable play: with $12 and 2 buys I chose to double Farmland, Farmlanding an Estate into Island and my Potion into another Farmland. I should just have bought Province + Apothecary here as emptying the Farmlands wasn't actually in my interest and getting additional green instead of another Apothecary was going to slow me down alot. It ends up being really close, I get the penultimate province on T15 by buying the last Farmland and now Rabid can win by getting the last Province, which he can't get for both of his next two turns, while I'm able to finish it just in time. I definitely lucked out here, after my T11 nonsense he had the best chances.

Shanty Town, Workshop, Bureaucrat, Quarry, Silk Road, Worker's Village, Duke, Embassy, Harvest, Soothsayer
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140224/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1393281073632.txt (3 - 1)

Rabid has another 5/2 and opens Soothsayer, I go for Bureaucrat/Silver. The obvious plan is Duchy - Duke with some Silk Road support, but Rabid goes more heavily for Silk Roads by getting 2 Workshops, a Worker's Village and a Shanty Town, which I don't like because you pretty much resign yourself to losing the Duchy split (indeed: 6 - 2) which I think is more important than the Silk Road split because even with 5 - 3 every single Duke gives you a 2 point advantage, whereas you need to get 4 green cards to get a similar advantage from a 5 - 3 Silk Road split. My 6 Duchies indeed end up giving me the win.

Thanks for the games Rabid.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »
+6

TheMirrorMan - Jean-Michel : 4 - 2.

Let's start with : Goko was unbearable tonight!!!

Not only did we have the "oh, let's push play game and then do nothing" ... It was slow as hell. And in the beginning of the fourth game, Goko Santa decided we had all been very naughty (Futurama, anyone ?) and threw us all off the server.

Thanks to Jean-Michel for being a great sport during the games - it worked on both our nerves.

I've had a serious drop of level in the last few days. Well, you know, one of those days where nothing really works in Dominion and shuffle luck is far away. So I was a bit more anxious to play ...

Game 1 : "International currency" : Jean-Michel wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1393352351354.txt

Moat, Envoy, Feast, Feodum, Nomad Camp, Quarry, Remake, Talisman, Embassy, Jester
Meaning : It's peanut butter jelly big money time. Either Remake to clean out the deck or Envoy/Embassy. We both choose BM, J-M goes Silver/Silver, I go Silver/Envoy. Idea was to not give him the extra Silver too quickly. Then again, what am I thinking here when he just bought 2 Silvers already ??? So I prefer J-M's opening. And I sense it during the game - I am starting to lack money power, so I buy an extra Embassy ... but it's already too late. The moment I can buy the last province, I'm 7 VP behind, so I need to do desperate stuff. Like buy a Jester and hope to hit a green ... And then it of course appears in my Embassy draw.

Clean win for J-M

Game 2 : "Harems and Hagglers" : Jean-Michel wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1393352730696.txt

Chapel, Fortune Teller, Workshop, Death Cart, Baker, Catacombs, Count, Graverobber, Haggler, Harem
We have the extra coin token to spend, so that makes it interesting enough on this board. Chapel/Count as trashing, no engine except Bakers ... So BM again. Or could the Death cart play a role here ?

We both split 3/5, J-M takes Silver/Haggler, I take Silver/Count, thinking that the rapid trashing will help me more. Well ... It does to an extent that you don't have too much stuff to use, whereas J-M picks up a lot of useful stuff with the Haggler (e.g. Harem + Count). And I trail the whole game ...

Not really sure what the best strategy is here.

Game 3 : "The green, green grass of the ironworks" : TheMirrorMan wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1393353428346.txt

Candlestick Maker, Great Hall, Trade Route, Bishop, Ironworks, Quarry, Silk Road, Saboteur, Soothsayer, Hoard
So I've got to win the next two or I'm out. Oh nice, a "technical" board.

Although this is a Colony game, the Ironworks/SR/GH and Trade route combo (we'll be gaining quite soon) is just plain out quicker. And if you need higher VP, you can always throw in a hoard, buy a cheap one and get your money back up. But as the game shows, you don't have time.

Not really much to say here, luck gives me better draws here that J-M (I think). And I didn't trash an estate in the beginning (need it for SR). GH split : 5/3, SR split : 4/4. And since I have shoved a CM in, I can get some extra estates in the end.

Game 4 : "The temptation of a lady" : TheMirrorMan wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1393354136322.txt

Transmute, Masquerade, Woodcutter, Baker, Cartographer, Catacombs, Knights, Mountebank, Stables, Possession
Sometimes you see that card where you think : I really need this. This will give me a decisive advantage.
We both have 5/3 split (baker coin token). And I see ... Miss Molly on top of the knights. But damn, J-M is to start. He gets Masquerade/Mountebank ... and ... yes, I can buy my beloved Dame Molly and two Masquerades to throw the junk of the mountebank back, right!

Well, let's see, what is wrong with this plan ...
1) There is no stuff to trash in the deck yet!
2) Where am I going to get money from ? Well, free coppers from the Mountebank of course </end sarcasm>
3) My Masquerades collide 2 times ...

As the VP chart shows, J-M starts racing quickly and I'm stuck behind with a card that hits nothing special. Is this the end of round 2 ... ?

And then, in the end, I pull off one of the biggest tricks ... I'm 7 behind, so I can't go out ... But then I masquerade over a curse (and don't get one back), swinging 2 points and buying the last Province.

I have no idea how I pulled this off, but my apologies were sent to my opponent.

Game 5 : "There's junk in the gardens!" : TheMirrorMan wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1393356052820.txt

Warehouse, Philosopher's Stone, Gardens, Marauder, Sea Hag, Catacombs, Merchant Guild, Mine, Saboteur, Stables
Well, the biggest key card here is Gardens, since there are so many enablers : junking from Marauder/Sea Hag, Merchant Guild. And other than that, Philosopher's Stone works so well with this too.

I open Silver/Sea Hag, J-M opens Warehouse/Marauder. Of course you don't want to give too much junk ... But some junking is needed.
I think my opening is better here - you already get the minus points while Marauder only gives you temporary money - not really something you want when you're going for Gardens (but maybe J-M wasn't thinking of that in the beginning). I was doubting on the Warehouse. Maybe that was a better choice instead of Silver.

I get a very lucky turn 3, hitting five and buying a Merchant Guild. Stocking up on coin tokens.

Then the switch to the Philosopher's stone, but I buy my potion earlier (to no avail, as I hit 2+P the first time - that's what you get with the junk). It pulls itself off with all the junk (my PS is worth 7 in the end, where his are less valuable) and I can refocus from the Gardens split to the Provinces.

Game 6 : "It's hard to be tender" : TheMirrorMan wins.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1393356747420.txt

Cellar, Hamlet, Stonemason, Masquerade, Feodum, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Laboratory, Minion, Wharf
Not that much to say here. 4/3 for both, Silver/Masquerade for both. (Sea Hag with Masquerade is almost out of the question). Hamlet/Wharf is just too slow, so we come to the same conclusion : Minions. I win the split horribly, 7/3, due to lucky draws (7 coins = 2 Minions with Stonemason, then throw the SM over with Masquerade) and J-M's good hands getting hit. It's really harsh when you're on the other side - been there, done that. Luckily, J-M takes it like a sport, joking "oh I can buy a province" after I've bought 4 already. Good sport!

Mixed feelings about the matches - could have gone either way and I did make some pretty bad choices ... Better step up for next time ...
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »
+4

gamesou defeats factotumjack 3-1

I could have come with logs and pictures, analyses, videos, or whatever crazy stuff the community might generate. But I'm not good at this. So instead I'll tell you a goko story. You know, these stories with fancy bugs, an easy way to get respect.

gamesou : I want to log in and play against factotumjack.
goko : "password incorrect"
gamesou : come on, I used that password for years over the whole internet and it always worked !
goko : "password incorrect'
gamesou : oh, there is a forgotten password option ! Who knows, I may be getting old ...
goko : shows me a screen with fancy boardgames but nothing about passwords
gamesou : i know, there is another way to log in, via a pop-up, let's try
goko : "password incorrect"
gamesou : oh, another forgotten password button !
goko : will send me a new password (still waiting for the mail)
gamesou : I know, I'll create a new account and play with it. I can even sign up with gmail, so that in case my opponents has no sets we'll play a base+walled village series !
goko : crashes
gamesou : ahahah, but I can log as a guest. Here's the trick. I can see my opponent waiting for me !! I just have to warn him about my switching to guest account.
goko : tss tss ... Guests cannot chat in the lobby !
gamesou : no problem, I can pm my opponent so that he accepts me. When starting the game everything can arrange
goko : Guests cannot chat during the game either !

And that's how I played four mute games. I can now witness that one-way communication is way less efficient that two-way communnication.

LOTS of thanks to factotumjack for handling everything so smoothly, and for being comprehensive for not responding to his nice chatting !

Now I realize something ... since guests cannot chat I couldn't warn my opponent that I was using the point counter extension. FactotumJack, I sincerely hope that you don't have any problem with it.

Ahah, logs, videos, fancy stuff ... you really want them ?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:50:41 pm by gamesou »
Designer of Chronos Conquest

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 04:36:08 pm »

In the OP of the results thread it says "week 1" where it should say "week 2". If it would have been ok to post this in the results thread directly, please say so.

Thanks for the heads-up!  And yes, this would be the thread to put it in. :)

JOG

• Baron
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
+1

I just finished watching stream of my match with jsh357.  It's great to see match from other player's perspective.  Thanks a lot for doing this.

game 1
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1393359527135.txt
apothecary, scrying pool, storeroom, wishing well, familiar, scavenger, tournament, witch, goons

We both open potion/storeroom, and go for familiars.  He picks up a scavenger early, which I think is quite good here.  Allows topdecking of familiars and later goons.  I'm happy with splitting curses 5-5.  Looking back at it, I think potion/wishing well  open is probably best, then hopefully pick up scavenger early.  After cursing, he goes for draw with apothecary, I go with scrying pool. I did overlook apothecary/wishing well combo, but think scrying pool is still stronger because you can get so many cantrips(peddlers/tournaments).

game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1393361002277.txt
candlestick maker, apothecary, storeroom, woodcutter, advisor, armory, bridge, ironmonger, quarry, market

We both open potion/storeroom again, and then build apothecary engines.  I pick up an armory, which I think was probably a mistake because there are enough other ways to gain engine pieces(storeroom/bridge).  He focuses more on ironmongers for +actions mostly (some draw/some money).  I focus more on advisors to draw my deck.  On turn 13, I build a 9 point lead, and have a buy left over. 2 piles are out, and only 4 advisors left.  I think about buying nothing, but pick up an advisor because I didn't think his deck had enough draw to get province, duchy, estate and 3 advisors.  Also, 3 buys would be possible for me the next turn, but 4 would be unlikely.  In the stream, it showed he did misplay storeroom, causing unwanted  shuffle because of goko's interface.  If that didn't happen it could have gone either way.

game 3
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1393362138586.txt
chapel, develop, scheme, shanty town, storeroom, swindler, fortress, contraband, pillage, hunting grounds

The game I'm most proud of.  I ignore swindler and open chapel/silver.  Able to trash down and build deck that draws itself every turn.  Play fortress/hunting grounds, play more villages, develop a fortress into pillage/scheme, play pillage, draw spoils, buy province, then topdeck fortress/hunting grounds.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:42 pm »
+2

Here are the videos of jsh vs JOG.  See JOG's comments about the games themselves, which basically mirror my own here.  I had a shot at game 2, but not the others so much.

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:56 pm »
+2

Ahah, logs, videos, fancy stuff ... you really want them ?

In case you do want them, I am assuming that you were guest435.0001

36-17 gamesou wins
18-30 factotumjack wins
-4-16 gamesou wins
33-21 gamesou wins

Never underestimate the log search
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »
+2

Video (still uploading):

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1393365335617.txt

Secret Chamber, University, Tunnel, Procession, Quarry, Cartographer, Merchant Ship, Royal Seal, Trading Post, Hunting Grounds
This is a pretty weak board for a Colony game. I open Secret Chamber/Potion and aim to get a lot of Cartographers and Tunnels and later some Hunting Grounds. My opponent goes for a similar deck, but without University his deck is way too slow. Interesting side note: The game nearly was ending on 3 piles: Cartographer, Tunnel and Gold, but there were a few Golds left in the end.

Game 2:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1393366883195.txt

Duchess, Doctor, Loan, Cutpurse, Marauder, Catacombs, Contraband, Council Room, Saboteur, Altar
My opponent Doctor/Marauder, but Doctor isn't great in trashing Ruins, so I just go Big Money and open Silver/Marauder and add some Catacombs later. My opponent got way too many terminals and his Doctor didn't do that much for him - he trashed it later.

Game 3:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140225/log.516d1bece4b082c74d7ae7e9.1393367900492.txt

Stonemason, Great Hall, Marauder, Militia, Taxman, Young Witch, Graverobber, Jester, Market, Mystic, Vault

I open 5/2 on this attack-heavy board. I open Young Witch and wait if he opens Young Witch too which he did, so I grabbed a Stonemason (bane). He then bought triple Stonemason to defend which was probably too much, so I didn't get a second YW and instead grabbed a Marauder. I lost the Curse split pretty badly, but he had again way too many terminals and I added Vaults later and had enought economy to hit Province pretty regularly. The game ended on three piles (Curse, Duchy, Great Hall) with one Province left.

factotumjack

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:30:25 pm »

Thanks e for finding the logs.  Yes, that's our games.

Thanks gamesou for the matches.

I ran into a similar problem right before our scheduled match, but somehow managed to bypass it by restarting the browser. Nothing much more to say other than I don't mind using a VP counter. Mine was off but no games had any difficult alt-vp or vp tokens so a vp counter was redundant anyway.

Just curious, can you see the chat when you're a guest?

I forfeited in the middle of game 3, and I hope that wasn't bad manners. Just that was I still getting silvers when you were getting provinces, so I didn't see the point in dragging out a game I had <1% chance of winning.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 01:58:25 am »

Just curious, can you see the chat when you're a guest?

Yes, guests can see the chat. No problem with your game 3 resignation ! You've been unlucky with your potion in that game.

FWIW, I can now log in as usual.

And thanks to exp(1) for the logs.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:42 pm »

Game 4 : "The temptation of a lady" : TheMirrorMan wins.

Sometimes you see that card where you think : I really need this. This will give me a decisive advantage.
We both have 5/3 split (baker coin token). And I see ... Miss Molly on top of the knights. But damn, J-M is to start. He gets Masquerade/Mountebank ... and ... yes, I can buy my beloved Dame Molly and two Masquerades to throw the junk of the mountebank back, right!

Well, let's see, what is wrong with this plan ...
1) There is no stuff to trash in the deck yet!
2) Where am I going to get money from ? Well, free coppers from the Mountebank of course </end sarcasm>
3) My Masquerades collide 2 times ...

As the VP chart shows, J-M starts racing quickly and I'm stuck behind with a card that hits nothing special. Is this the end of round 2 ... ?

And then, in the end, I pull off one of the biggest tricks ... I'm 7 behind, so I can't go out ... But then I masquerade over a curse (and don't get one back), swinging 2 points and buying the last Province.

I have no idea how I pulled this off, but my apologies were sent to my opponent.

You could've got lucky to trash his masquerade or mountebank on t3 or 4 which would've been huge. But that is just a minor point. The crucial difference - imo - is the stables split of 5-2 in your favour. It's not out-of-space-unlikely that you somehow draw Molly and both masquerades together. Note that most of the time you had less coppers than he had, despite him giving you coppers via MB. He got quite unlucky in the beginning. However, from your description, I would've anticipated a much higher VP difference but he was ahead by just 1 province +/-2VP.

dnkywin

• Scout
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 03:41:34 pm »
+1

dnkywin defeats impromptublue 3-1

Game 1: impromptublue 24, dnkywin 36

Secret Chamber, Masterpiece, Village, Woodcutter, Feast, Fortress, Treasure Map, Baker, Mystic, Altar
Game 2: dnkywin 27, impromptublue 31

Doctor, Scheme, Warehouse, Feodum, Rats, Salvager, Silk Road, Smithy, Spice Merchant, Hunting Grounds
Game 3: dnkywin 23, impromptublue 0

Hamlet, Haven, Ironworks, Apprentice, Band of Misfits, Horn of Plenty, Venture, Altar, Hoard, King's Court
Game 4: impromptublue 20, dnkywin 45

Duchess, Pawn, Chancellor, Caravan, Remodel, Laboratory, Mint, Pillage, Upgrade, Hoard

Temron

• Baron
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »
+1

Game 1:

Herbalist, Pearl Diver, Oasis, Golem, Cache, Cultist, Haggler, Merchant Guild, Border Village, Bank
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.516d4177e4b082c74d7b6376.1393445742212.txt

Key cards: Border Village, Cultist, and Merchant Guild

I don't know what really to say. I got some lucky early sixes that I think were the difference in this game. He ended up with more Cultists but I was able to cycle better and ended up winning the ruins split. I also picked up Merchant Guild which my opponent ignored allowing me to have smoother hands.

Temron: 39 -- Alexmf: 27

Game 2:

Warehouse, Armory, Caravan, Cutpurse, Feast, Procession, Silk Road, Treasury, Wharf, Hoard
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.516d4258e4b082c74d7b660a.1393446502792.txt

Key cards: Wharf, Procession, Caravan

I went engine with Procession, Caravan, Warehouse, and Wharf. My opponent went Wharf BM. I opened with armory/silver to get components for the engine. On turn 10 I Processioned my Armory to set up a Procession/Caravan turn. From there I was able to start greening.

Temron: 38 -- Alex: 25

Game 3:

Ambassador, Forager, Fortune Teller, Great Hall, Bureaucrat, Caravan, Death Cart, JackOfAllTrades, Wandering Minstrel, Outpost
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.516d4177e4b082c74d7b6376.1393447367887.txt

Key Cards: Ambassador, Forager, Caravan, Jack

I thought I would be able to ignore Ambassador on this board which seems to have been a mistake. I opened Forager/Jack and Alexmf opened Bureaucrat/Ambassador. I tried to kind of build an engine around Wandering, Forager, Jack, and Outpost. Alexmf ended up just using 1 Forager, 2 Caravans, and 1 Ambassador. I had a significant lead most of the game but towards the end I made the mistake of Foraging my Gold. I probably should not have done this. I also think I started greening too early and should not have gotten so many Great Halls since they were messing with my coin density. Was Double Jack just the way to go here?

Alexmf: 34 -- Temron: 32

Game 4:

Vagrant, Ambassador, Market Square, Armory, Militia, Monument, Scout, Tactician, Treasury, Witch
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.516d4258e4b082c74d7b660a.1393448370159.txt

Key Cards: Ambassador, Tactician, Treasury

This game started out as an Ambassador war. I picked up a Tactician which Alexmf ignored. I think this allowed me to play Ambassador much more effectively. I picked up a few Treasuries and was thinking about double Tactician but it did not seem viable without any plus actions. We both completely ignored Witch. I also picked up some Market Squares and Vagrants and was able to draw my whole deck in the middle portion of the game with Tactician. This slowed down once I started greening.

Temron: 36 -- Alexmf 33

Both Alexmf and I would love feedback! Thanks for reading.

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »

Monsieur X defeats hdu88 4-2

Game 1: hdu88 resigns

Ambassador mirror. X manages to connect Ambassador with 2 Estates on Turn 4, which gives him a huge advantage. However, I think Turn 11 is where I lose the game by buying Highway instead of Plaza. I end up colliding my Ambassadors while X plays two Ambassadors almost every turn.

Game 2: 30-44

I initially try to go for a janky Double Tactician engine with Apothecary, Plaza, Highway, and no trashing or +buy. Yeah, bad idea when there's Embassy/Tunnel with support. Also, I abandon this engine on Turn 11 in order to double Province.

Game 3 Monsieur X resigns

Chapel/Young Witch mirror into King's Court and Merchant Guild/Watchtower. X tries to use Tunnel to rebuild his economy, while I go for Mercenary. The problem with Tunnel here is that Gold is just not very good on this board.

Game 4 39-18

More Merchant Guild shenanigans. On Turn 13 I send the game into DEFCON 2 because my deck has slightly more +buy. On Turn 14 I play around a quadruple Province because I'm fairly confident I have quintuple Province on the next turn.

Game 5 21-45

Boards with no trashing are a huge blind spot for me. I make a bunch of small mistakes that compound into a big loss.

Game 6 27-30

I open Haven/Trading Post on a Rebuild board. My first reshuffle gives me a 2-4 split as my Trading Post misses my Estates. My next two reshuffles give me 3-3 and 8-3 respectively. Yeah, not winning this. The game looks close, but it really wasn't.
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:03 pm »

I open Haven/Trading Post on a Rebuild board. My first reshuffle gives me a 2-4 split as my Trading Post misses my Estates. My next two reshuffles give me 3-3 and 8-3 respectively. Yeah, not winning this. The game looks close, but it really wasn't.

You do not want to trash Estates for Rebuild, you want to turn them into Duchies. And trashing Coppers with TP is really really slow. I would have skipped TP and either open Rebuild and get the Scavenger/Silver on the second shuffle, starting the Rebuilding early, or open with Scavenger or Masq to get to $5 next shuffle. 5/2 seems bad on this board.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »
+2

my games against ravi:

game 1(can't find the log for this one)

Not much going on on this board. We both went for Embassy Big Money with Bank got a Silver  two Embassys and two Banks each and started greening. I went for Duchies earlyer he got a third Embassy in the end it was very close and i think this comes down to me being first player and i win.
1:0

game 2:

Duchess, Steward, Woodcutter, Plaza, Treasure Map, Catacombs, Cultist, Hunting Party, Journeyman, Margrave
log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140226/log.516cd034e4b082c74d7a014f.1393449558055.txt

Obviously an engine board. I opened double Steward he opened Streward/Silver i dont know which of those is better. But the risk i took backfired big time and i couldn't connect  a single steward to an estate until turn 7! and eventually got rolled over by Margrave and lots of Cultists. I resigned when he got the first Provinces. I wonder how this had gone if i could have kept up with him at start because he did a few things i would have done differently. Like i think that the first 5 should be Margrave over Cultist but it certainly worked out for him and i never had a slight chance to come back under his strong attacks. Well played.
1:1

game3:

Courtyard, Duchess, Fishing Village, Storeroom, Wishing Well, Silk Road, Trader, Jester, Library, Mountebank

log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20140226/log.516cd034e4b082c74d7a014f.1393450742938.txt

We both opened fishing village/Trader on this one intimidated by the allmighty Mountebank scaring us from the top of the Board.
Without the Mountebank this is a very clear fishing village/storeroom/library engine. I get to 5 earlier and more than him with my first 5 being Mountebank his reaction to this was to get another two Traders as defence. And as to expect my first Mountebank plays earn him 4 Silvers. But still i am totally sure the Mountebank did it's job for me because the three Traders and not that few silvers made it impossible for him to get a running engine and he instead played a moneyish deck with a few fishing villages and one or two storerooms. I do stick to my plan and build the engine, especially as he skipped Mountebank completely. Later in the game when we are both greening i manage to also hit 2 unprotected hands and he starts stalling towards the end. Obviously so do i, but not quite as much. My last two shuffles were rather unfortunate as i drew most of my fishing villages dead with either storeroom or had to skip them with Library. In the end this was super close  and he hit 7 on a turn where province would have won for him but in the end i win this one. I would be interested to know if he had played differently strategy wise if he hit 5 more early.
2:1

game 4:

Candlestick Maker, Caravan, Quarry, Trader, Apprentice, Cartographer, Highway, Minion, Wharf, Hunting Grounds

log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20140226/log.516cd034e4b082c74d7a014f.1393451922484.txt

Again a clear engine board. The minion engine finds strong support in highway, candlestickmaker and quarry. I open CM/quarry, he opens silver/quarry and we play a near mirror from that on. Me getting an apprentice on my first 5 being the only difference. He hits 4 two times and goes for caravans on those turns while i went for another 2 CM's early. We split the minions evenly but my extra buys pay off and i get my first big turn earlier getting 4 Provinces at once at a time he only had 3 potential buys a turn. Even though i couldn't connect my early apprentice to an estate until very very late in the game i certainly got the better end of the luck here and win this one by a big margin.
3:1

Thanks for the games and the best of luck in the following rounds, ravi!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:58:08 pm by MarkowKette »

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 06:33:28 pm »
+2

Game 3:

Ambassador, Forager, Fortune Teller, Great Hall, Bureaucrat, Caravan, Death Cart, JackOfAllTrades, Wandering Minstrel, Outpost
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.516d4177e4b082c74d7b6376.1393447367887.txt

Key Cards: Ambassador, Forager, Caravan, Jack

I thought I would be able to ignore Ambassador on this board which seems to have been a mistake. I opened Forager/Jack and Alexmf opened Bureaucrat/Ambassador. I tried to kind of build an engine around Wandering, Forager, Jack, and Outpost. Alexmf ended up just using 1 Forager, 2 Caravans, and 1 Ambassador. I had a significant lead most of the game but towards the end I made the mistake of Foraging my Gold. I probably should not have done this. I also think I started greening too early and should not have gotten so many Great Halls since they were messing with my coin density. Was Double Jack just the way to go here?

Alexmf: 34 -- Temron: 32

You want a third Forager for the engine, and Death Cart > Outpost for your strategy. Also, you bought green way too early (Turn 8?). Yes, buying a Forager or a Minstrel on $8 doesn't feel great, but it might be the right move. You want to thin down until each turn you can draw your entire deck, gain two Silvers, trash two Silvers and a Copper, and play a Death Cart (not necessarily in that order). This kinda cannibalizes your deck toward the end, but you can get 6 Provinces out of it in 3-5 turns.

Also, for your opponent: Ambassador/Jack is a much better Big Money strategy than Ambassador/Bureaucrat (and edges out Double Jack slightly if Isotropic records are to be believed). In either case, if you're playing Ambassador in a Big Money strategy you want to return Estate over two Coppers.

Last note: I'd open Ambassador Caravan here and ignore Jack.

Game 4:

Vagrant, Ambassador, Market Square, Armory, Militia, Monument, Scout, Tactician, Treasury, Witch
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.516d4258e4b082c74d7b660a.1393448370159.txt

Key Cards: Ambassador, Tactician, Treasury

This game started out as an Ambassador war. I picked up a Tactician which Alexmf ignored. I think this allowed me to play Ambassador much more effectively. I picked up a few Treasuries and was thinking about double Tactician but it did not seem viable without any plus actions. We both completely ignored Witch. I also picked up some Market Squares and Vagrants and was able to draw my whole deck in the middle portion of the game with Tactician. This slowed down once I started greening.

Temron: 36 -- Alexmf 33

Given that Alex didn't buy Tactician, I would go double Tactician just to play Militia every turn. This might be wrong though; it does require you to overtrash a bit in order to handle your opponent's Ambassador plays.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:45:55 pm by hdu88 »
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.