Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: "In games using this" effects  (Read 13687 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
"In games using this" effects
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:49:07 pm »
+2

How much these kinds of effects have been explored in fan cards? I think there's a ton of design space here.

Something like:

$3 Action
Gain two cards with a total cost of $4 or less.

You could make pretty cool cards with effects like this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Re: "In games using this" effects
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 04:48:28 pm »

I think that that would be a really interesting area to explore, but I think that the reduced-cost Silver could get a little crazy; and what you you do with those Silver enablers in Trader and Masterpiece? Also, how do you take into account Feodum? Because the way I'm looking at it, on a Feodum board using something that makes Silver cheaper would make Feodum a lot more attractive. On the whole I like your idea, and (pardon the redundancy of my earlier statement) think it's really interesting, but there needs to be a lot of things ironed out to keep this from being too swingy or broken.
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
+3

I don't think cheaper Silvers would cause any problems.  I just think it is too boring.  "In games using this" effects are rather inelegant in my opinion, and it can be obnoxious to keep track of them.  I'm ok with using one when it is the most elegant way of implementing an otherwise compelling effect, but I wouldn't want to see it used just for its own sake.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 05:11:11 pm »

I think that that would be a really interesting area to explore, but I think that the reduced-cost Silver could get a little crazy; and what you you do with those Silver enablers in Trader and Masterpiece? Also, how do you take into account Feodum? Because the way I'm looking at it, on a Feodum board using something that makes Silver cheaper would make Feodum a lot more attractive. On the whole I like your idea, and (pardon the redundancy of my earlier statement) think it's really interesting, but there needs to be a lot of things ironed out to keep this from being too swingy or broken.
The effect is constant for all players, so being swingy or broken aren't issues. The only issue is whether or not it's fun.

And the card in OP was just a quick example, of course it's possible to design much less boring cards.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:12:44 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +572
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:17:41 am »

My try:

$3 Action
+1$
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain two cards with the total cost up to the trashed card.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:25:43 am by Julle »

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:47 am »

$3 Action
+1$
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain two cards with the total cost up to the trashed card.

So... you trash a Province, and get what exactly? Just a Duchy? A Duchy and up to a $3? Two cards totaling up to $8 AND a Duchy?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:58 am »

$3 Action
+1$

So... you trash a Province, and get what exactly? Just a Duchy? A Duchy and up to a $3? Two cards totaling up to $8 AND a Duchy?
You trash a card from your hand. The in games using this effect takes place. Then you continue to play the rest of the card's text like normal. So you gain a Duchy and two cards totaling up to $8. If you use a Remodel to trash a Province, you gain a Duchy and a card costing up to $8. If you use a Chapel to trash a Province, you gain a Duchy.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:37 pm »
+1

This sort of effect might be worth exploring, but I think it only works well in some specific cases.

First, the type of effect is rare enough that it should probably be optional. Take "When you discard this from play" effects as an example. Treasury, Herbalist, Alchemist, Scheme, and Walled Village allow you to topdeck cards during your Clean-up phase, but they're all optional. This is nice because you're fairly likely to forget about these effects and just scoop them up when you discard everything in play. If you do forget, you're not breaking any rules. Hermit isn't optional, but at least you only do something if you didn't buy a card that turn, which is more often than not something you do specifically to get a Madman.

Similarly, cards that change the rules of the game simply by being in the Supply should ideally give you optional abilities in case you forget about them. So long story short, "If you trash a Province, gain a Duchy" should perhaps be "If you trash a Province, you may gain a Duchy."

Perhaps more importantly, I think these global effects should ideally involve the Kingdom card that they're on. So I'm not in love with either "When you trash a Province, gain a Duchy" or "Silver costs $1 less." Duchess's ability is especially elegant because if the Duchess pile gets bought out and the rule is no longer visible, it doesn't matter because the rule is moot at that point.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:43 pm »

The effect is constant for all players, so being swingy or broken aren't issues. The only issue is whether or not it's fun.

And the card in OP was just a quick example, of course it's possible to design much less boring cards.

Just a note -- being swingy or broken can still be an issue even with symmetry. Broken cards would be problematic even though everyone has access to buying them!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »
+1

It allows for another version of the Catch-22 card, too:

Catch-22
------------------
In games using this, you may not buy or gain this card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »

Just a note -- being swingy or broken can still be an issue even with symmetry. Broken cards would be problematic even though everyone has access to buying them!
Yeah, well, you can't balance Rebuild by adding an "In games using this, Silver costs $1 less". But when all players have access to the effect regardless of what they are buying, I don't think it's a problem as long as it's fun.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »

Yeah, well, you can't balance Rebuild by adding an "In games using this, Silver costs $1 less". But when all players have access to the effect regardless of what they are buying, I don't think it's a problem as long as it's fun.

I'm just saying that some effects can be problematic even though it's in effect for all players.  "In games using this, Province costs $0" would be an egregious example.  Saying "everyone gets it" is not a good excuse.  I'm not saying that the Silver concept is broken.  I'm more with Peebles on that one -- probably doesn't make that big of a difference most of the time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

I'm just saying that some effects can be problematic even though it's in effect for all players.  "In games using this, Province costs $0" would be an egregious example.
But the problem with this is not that it's not balanced, it's that it's not fun.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:20 pm »

Maybe something like:

Action - $4
+2 buys
+$2
---
In games using this, all cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

It has obvious synergy with its bottom-half, but is still neither strictly better nor strictly worse than any existing cards.  (I think the bottom half would work fine on Woodcutter, but given that Woodcutter already exists, this has to be different from Woodcutter in case they appear together.)  It also mostly satisfies LastFootnote's suggestion that it shouldn't create opportunities for players to break rules (though this fails with a few TfB cards, for example, players may accidentally draw an extra card with Apprentice).  It does suffer from having its rule continue to persist even when the pile is emptied and it's no longer visible, but I don't expect the pile to empty very often.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
+1

I'm just saying that some effects can be problematic even though it's in effect for all players.  "In games using this, Province costs $0" would be an egregious example.
But the problem with this is not that it's not balanced, it's that it's not fun.

It's not fun because it's so unbalanced.  There can be other mechanics that people find enjoyable but are still bad from a balance standpoint.    "Fun" is very subjective anyway.  But again, my point is just that fun should not excuse poor balance.  Yes, consider concepts that are fun to play first, but then proceed to ensure that they don't break the game.

I think my note has come across far more negative than I meant for it to, so I apologize for that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »
+1

It's not fun because it's so unbalanced.  There can be other mechanics that people find enjoyable but are still bad from a balance standpoint.    "Fun" is very subjective anyway.  But again, my point is just that fun should not excuse poor balance.  Yes, consider concepts that are fun to play first, but then proceed to ensure that they don't break the game.

I think my note has come across far more negative than I meant for it to, so I apologize for that.

It's a point that needs to be made and I don't think it was too negative. I wouldn't phrase it quite the same way, though. Fun trumps balance, but many cards that are ridiculously powerful tend to not be fun after the first or second play. Or in the case of "Provinces cost $0", not even fun the first time. I think that most reasonable definitions of "balanced" might not include Chapel or King's Court, but they are still worth having because they make the game fun (for many players, anyway), and they aren't strategies by themselves. Two games with Chapel will play out very differently, and likewise with King's Court.

Rebuild is an example of a card whose unbalance saps fun from the game because it is a strategy in itself, and not a terribly interesting one.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 06:05:10 pm »

No, it's not at all unbalanced, just like the "draw 5 cards at the end of each turn" rule is not unbalanced. Unlike the "draw 5 cards at the end of each turn" rule, it is unfun.

EDIT: Also, there is no need to apologize. If there is an issue, it needs to be addressed. I just don't think that there is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:11:56 pm by Awaclus »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:10 pm »

i really like the idea, because it would bring so much variety into the game. "all cards cost one less" completely changes the balance. there probably shouldn't be too many of them, but one or two...

a few random ideas which may not be good:

Action - 5$ - ?
Reveal your hand. +1$ per card revealed.
------------
In games using this, during your cleanup phase, you may draw 6 cards instead of 5

Victory - 14$ - ?
Worth 10 VP
--------
In games using this, other Victory Cards are worth half as much as normal (rounded up)

Action - 2$ - ?
+1 Action
+1$
Trash a card from your hand.
--------
In games using this, whenever you trash a card, you may draw a card

Action - 1$ - ?
+1 Action
+1 Card
-----
In games using this, whenever you play an action card with the same name as any action card you have in play, +1$
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:28:57 pm by silverspawn »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
+1

Something I was thinking last night, is that ideas like these seem like what DXV might have planned for the new Goko Adventures, if we ever get to see them. Obviously not on card effects, but bonuses like these.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:53 am »

Something I was thinking last night, is that ideas like these seem like what DXV might have planned for the new Goko Adventures, if we ever get to see them. Obviously not on card effects, but bonuses like these.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I wonder what those rules were going to be, anyhow? I'm having a hard time coming up with any ideas, to be honest.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:17 am »

I think the general idea is quite interesting. There are some card suggestions worth considering here. Balance is often an issue, though. With self-synergizing cards you have to carefully think about how strongly and reliably their "in games using this" clause affects their actual power. These considerations should be reflected in the card cost. I'll take silverspawn's suggestions as an example (hopefully, I'm not erring on my own):

Action - 5$ - ?
Reveal your hand. +1$ per card revealed.
------------
In games using this, during your cleanup phase, you may draw 6 cards instead of 5
A terminal Platinum for $5? This would elevate Big Money to new splendour, to the point of ridiculousness. Probably more accurately priced at $7, if Bank is any indication. The effect below the dash is interesting, though. I just think the self-synergy here is too bland and powerful.

Victory - 14$ - ?
Worth 10 VP
--------
In games using this, other Victory Cards are worth half as much as normal (rounded up)
It seems overpriced, but I really can't tell how much it should be. Bu I'm pretty sure this is not a very intriguing concept overall.

Action - 2$ - ?
+1 Action
+1$
--------
The way you phrased it, this is very close to a Junk Dealer, maybe a little worse, so it should be worth $4, I think. The big issue with this is imo that it makes many trashers too powerful, because both trashing and card draw are a huge deal. "In games using this, whenever you trash a card, +$1" would not as strong but still worth going for, at a cost of $3 perhaps.

Action - 1$ - ?
+1 Action
+1 Card
-----
In games using this, whenever you play an action card with the same name as any action card you have in play, +1$
This turns cantrips into Peddler+ cards, which MIGHT be okay by itself (not sure here). However, the once again blatant self-synergy makes this card akin to a Conspirator-Peddler that enables copies of itself, so I'd price it at $3.

Another idea from scott_pilgrim:
Maybe something like:

Action - $4
+2 buys
+$2
---

It has obvious synergy with its bottom-half, but is still neither strictly better nor strictly worse than any existing cards.  (I think the bottom half would work fine on Woodcutter, but given that Woodcutter already exists, this has to be different from Woodcutter in case they appear together.)  It also mostly satisfies LastFootnote's suggestion that it shouldn't create opportunities for players to break rules (though this fails with a few TfB cards, for example, players may accidentally draw an extra card with Apprentice).  It does suffer from having its rule continue to persist even when the pile is emptied and it's no longer visible, but I don't expect the pile to empty very often.
I think this card is strictly usually better than Bridge on its own (EDIT: if bridge is not in the kingdom). Yes, the effect is not stackable, but rarely would you play many Bridges in the same turn. It's also not TR-/KC-able but these ae exceptions. In most cases, it's better than Bridge, and too powerful or $4.
Another issue you pointed out yourself; it applies to this style of card in general. There's no real help for considerations with TfB cards here other than to constantly keep this in mind. This might become annoying. More so, it throws balance for many cards out of the window. Consider opening buys, especially with 4/3 which turns into 5/4! This could be fun but it might as well break the game entirely.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:26:36 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 11:06:15 am »

Another issue you pointed out yourself; it applies to this style of card in general. There's no real help for considerations with TfB cards here other than to constantly keep this in mind. This might become annoying.

Go the peddler way: in games using this, during any buy phase, cards cost 1$ less, but no less than 0$.

Also some of these cards work better as reaction cards, rules-wise. It automatically makes them optional, and you don't have to worry about whether there's any left in the supply or not.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:12:43 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 01:54:15 pm »
+1

You have to consider the effects that these cards would have on the other cards as well.

Action - 2$ - ?
+1 Action
+1$
--------
The way you phrased it, this is very close to a Junk Dealer, maybe a little worse, so it should be worth $4, I think. The big issue with this is imo that it makes many trashers too powerful, because both trashing and card draw are a huge deal. "In games using this, whenever you trash a card, +$1" would not as strong but still worth going for, at a cost of $3 perhaps.

Yes this is close to regular Junk Dealer, but if JD and this card are in the same kingdom, JD draws an extra card as well.  If you want to compare it cost-wise to other such cards, you have to ignore the "in games using this" part.  In that case, this is basically a Copper that trashes from your hand, so $2 might be just fine, relative to other actions.

Action - 1$ - ?
+1 Action
+1 Card
-----
This turns cantrips into Peddler+ cards, which MIGHT be okay by itself (not sure here). However, the once again blatant self-synergy makes this card akin to a Conspirator-Peddler that enables copies of itself, so I'd price it at $3.

Again, you have to consider how it compares without the global effect.  If this is in the same kingdom as any basic $2 cantrip (Vagrant, Pearl Diver), this has a strictly inferior effect and would thus make no sense at a higher cost than those cards.

Maybe something like:

Action - $4
+2 buys
+$2
---

I think this card is strictly better than Bridge on its own. Yes, the effect is not stackable, but rarely would you play many Bridges in the same turn. It's also not TR-/KC-able but these ae exceptions. In most cases, it's better than Bridge, and too powerful or $4.
Another issue you pointed out yourself; it applies to this style of card in general. There's no real help for considerations with TfB cards here other than to constantly keep this in mind. This might become annoying. More so, it throws balance for many cards out of the window. Consider opening buys, especially with 4/3 which turns into 5/4! This could be fun but it might as well break the game entirely.

You may be misunderstanding what "strictly better" means.  This is not strictly better for the sole reason that it doesn't stack like Bridge does.  You might say that it is usually better, though I still wouldn't agree.  As with the other cards, the cost reduction here is always in effect without you having to purchase it.  That means it stacks with Bridge.  Playing this card does not reduce cost further while playing Bridge does.  Playing this card is just like playing Woodcutter with an extra buy, which is usually not as good as the cost reduction from Bridge.

Oh, and playing many Bridges in the same turn is not that rare.  It's often the goal whenever Bridge is viable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:55:31 pm by eHalcyon »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:59 pm »

I think this design space is interesting but you have to be really careful with it or else things will get confusing. Baker works so well because the "in games using this" triggers exactly once at the start of the game. It makes a big impact, but it's not much extra to remember. I think having to remember something on a card a bunch of times throughout the game is probably not going to be ideal.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 02:41:09 pm »

I think the effect shouldn't change the game too much. For example, something like "whenever you trash a card, you may draw a card" adds a huge change to the game. I would like something like :

"In games using this, whenever you gain a curse or a ruin, you may gain an estate instead (if there are estates left in the supply)".
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.