Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Good Forum Game Candidates?  (Read 7662 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
Re: Good Forum Game Candidates?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 11:17:56 am »

I'm really surprised there's no service to host a deck of arbitrary cards somewhere. At least I couldn't find any last I checked.

What sort of specs would you want to look for?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 11:39:57 am »

When I hosted Hanabi, I had a complicated system of spreadsheets set up.  I had a "Master" spreadsheet where I manually tracked all the information about the game, and then created four "Player" spreadsheets.  A Player spreadsheet had access to only selected portions of the Master spreadsheet (namely, all public info except their own hand), so I only had to update the Master spreadsheet.  That having been said, updating the Master spreadsheet with every action was somewhat annoying.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 04:17:32 pm »

Okay, I made a spreadsheet to allow essentially self-modding Hanabi.  It would be something like the following for each player:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HZg21cXqNjgDWvncrWuamQUwsHgzYwnnmFod-KQWens/edit?usp=sharing

Basically you indicate which Card you play/discard in the appropriate Round #, and it indicates what card you played in the column next to it, and updates your hand for everyone else.  Anyways it'd be up to you guys to moderate the Clue tokens etc.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

Now that I think about it, Hanabi and Sleuth should be relatively easy to program into a play-by-website like TTA.  Hrm....
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 10:22:11 pm »

I will set up Hanabi this weekend.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:25 am »

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 08:30:27 pm »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:22 pm »

I will set up Hanabi this weekend.

Or as soon as I have time this week -- sorry guys.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 10:28:37 am »

How about a nice game of 7 Ages?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 03:04:20 pm »

Does anyone else think Game of Thrones could work?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »

I know it's played elsewhere by forum.

I'm going to play it for the first time tonight in person! We only have four players, but after two weeks of finding and failing to get 5-6 people together, we're saying screw it and playing 4 players. If it turns out the internet is right and that makes it wonky/bad, oh well.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 03:19:45 pm »

In principle it should work. The disadvantage is that in combats other players are involved (support). This is also true for Cosmic Encounter, which worked, so I don't know if this is really an issue.

Btw. I find it interesting that things that are considered modern in board games, namely involving all players at all time either by player-player interaction or by only taking small individual turns is actually bad for playing board games online. For forum games (or other asynchronous online games) the old fashioned approach of every player taking a turn that takes forever is actually better.

Talking about old-fashioned style games; is anyone interested in playing Advanced Civilization?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »

I'm going to play it for the first time tonight in person! We only have four players, but after two weeks of finding and failing to get 5-6 people together, we're saying screw it and playing 4 players. If it turns out the internet is right and that makes it wonky/bad, oh well.

This might be weird for me to post but I live in Chicago and am down to play Game of Throne's pretty much 100% of the time.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:02 pm »

Maybe I heard incorrectly, but I heard that Game of Thrones board game was basically a Diplomacy rip-off? :P Can somebody comment on that? So if you guys like it you should sign up in the Diplomacy thread, we just need two-ish more! Or possibly I could be convinced to play this instead, I do love me some GoT.

More to the point, if it is anything like Diplomacy, I imagine it would work even better on a forum than in person. Although there's a lot of fun to be had with Diplomacy in sneaking off to back rooms and taking shots after every round, it really works better mechanically online...perfect privacy, longer times to wheel and deal and think things through, and nothing to worry about in the logistics of playtime, early eliminations, and so forth. The fact that supports are involved doesn't slow down the game at all, considering that all moves are revealed simultaneously.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »

It borrows some mechanics from diplomacy but also has a lot more, it's not as "pure" as diplomacy. There's a lot of bidding, simultaneous decision making, etc. There's lots of room for inter-player politics but as certain factions (Stark comes to mind) it's possible to win just by playing the board and not bothering with "diplomacy"
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 05:38:54 pm »

That's cool. I appreciate the "elegance" of Diplomacy but I love GoT enough that I'd be willing to give it a try. Factional powers are pretty sweet.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »

It's not so much factional powers (although there's a bit of that) as the fact that it's possible to expand your territory unaided if other people make small mistakes, unlike in Diplomacy. And since there are more chokepoints too, you can hold on to that territory by yourself more easily.

IRL, it's also a much shorter game, while scratching a similar itch as Diplomacy.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 06:26:22 pm »

There's also a small random factor, though it's something that effects all players "equally" (in the same sense that attacks do in Dominion)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »

This might be weird for me to post but I live in Chicago and am down to play Game of Throne's pretty much 100% of the time.

That's not weird at all. I totally just had the thought "Wait I know gamers in Chicago." Want to play tonight with 4 new players? If so, PM me.

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 01:44:30 am »

I'd love it if there were forum games of Die Macher. Die Macher is a classic political Eurogame where 5 players play as 5 German political parties. By planning actions simultaneously, forming temporary coalitions, and trying to look the least corrupt despite the need for money, the players strive to have the most influence over Germany after 7 elections.

I think this would make a great forum game, because several difficult decisions are made simultaneously, because you can negotiate with people during downtime, and because on a forum it won't be ruined by the terrible components in the Valley Games edition.

I'd be willing to mod the game if we can get players for it. Would anyone be interested?

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2014, 10:56:09 am »

I'd be interested.  Die Macher always sounded like an interesting game to me.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 06:54:01 pm »

It's a long time since I last played Macher, but I'm interested. We could even make a Dominion themed version were the votes are about  Dominion topics (e.g. point counter) instead of German politics.

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 02:50:27 am »

Awesome. We could at least replace one of the less-memorable issues (like the cranes-and-warehouses one) with "point counters". Are there actually seven divisive issues on this forum we could come up with?

Maybe I should go check the RSP board.

EDIT: why did I do that
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:09:58 am by rspeer »

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 01:06:54 pm »

Are there actually seven divisive issues on this forum we could come up with?
From the top of my head, these are discussed more or less frequently
  • point counter
  • ban certain cards (Tournament, Possession)
  • is it polite to say gg after a bad game (or similar)
  • goko or iso (though that's not that controversial)
  • is Dominion sexist
  • is Scout the worst card

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »

Maybe I should go check the RSP board.

EDIT: why did I do that

Ladies and gentlemen, the most concise description of every message board's RSP board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.