Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In which Minion wins ...Again!  (Read 7652 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
In which Minion wins ...Again!
« on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:25 pm »

I love Minion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140220/log.516e0cb3e4b082c74d7d0de2.1392940735269.txt

Also, how do you post pictures of the Kingdom cards on Goko?
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: In which Minion wins ...Again!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »
+1

I love Minion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140220/log.516e0cb3e4b082c74d7d0de2.1392940735269.txt

I hate Minion. It's so not fun.

I don't feel like linking right now (lazy) but drunkensailor has the code to put the images in. There is a thread somewhere...

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:29:44 pm »

I love Minion

I don't feel like linking right now (lazy) but drunkensailor has the code to put the images in. There is a thread somewhere...

Why do you hate Minion? It's one of the few Dominion cards that has such beautiful self-synergy. I will admit that my engine took awhile to get up and running, but once it did my 8 Minions clobbered him...

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:42 pm »
+2

I love Minion

Why do you hate Minion? It's one of the few Dominion cards that has such beautiful self-synergy. I will admit that my engine took awhile to get up and running, but once it did my 8 Minions clobbered him...

I don't mean that it's not good. I mean that it's self synergy is what makes is dull. It is it's own engine. Also the full hand discard is not so much fun. It's not amazing every game, but often it's not good because of junking attacks. It's just not fun.

EDIT: And being on the side without 8 Minions is not fun. I'd probably resign if my opponent got 8 Minions. Then again I would go for them too. I just don't like it. I don't think it should be removed. You are right that it has a great self-synergy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:37:34 pm by KingZog3 »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »
+3

It's not amazing every game, but often it's not good because of junking attacks.

This is a myth. That impression probably arose because when both you and your opponent have 5 Minions in a Mountebank game your average (4-card) hand is going to suck balls, but if you ignore the Minions and let your opponent get 7-10 of them you're going to get crushed into oblivion despite the extra Curses and Coppers in his deck.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:47:28 pm »

It's not amazing every game, but often it's not good because of junking attacks.

This is a myth. That impression probably arose because when both you and your opponent have 5 Minions in a Mountebank game your average (4-card) hand is going to suck balls, but if you ignore the Minions and let your opponent get 7-10 of them you're going to get crushed into oblivion despite the extra Curses and Coppers in his deck.
And that folks, is why I love Minion so much

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:50:46 pm »

I love Minion

I don't mean that it's not good. I mean that it's self synergy is what makes is dull. It is it's own engine. Also the full hand discard is not so much fun. It's not amazing every game, but often it's not good because of junking attacks. It's just not fun.

EDIT: And being on the side without 8 Minions is not fun. I'd probably resign if my opponent got 8 Minions. Then again I would go for them too. I just don't like it. I don't think it should be removed. You are right that it has a great self-synergy.
Not good because of junking attacks? The discard part of Minion is what provides deck filtering, heck in some cases it might even help your opponent in a slog game; and if you have 7-10 Minions like SheCantSayNo said, there will be absolutely NOTHING your opponent can do, because basically if you're able to play all your Minions every turn, + any money you've got, you're basically guaranteed a Province every single turn. Not bad.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »
+2

Go to the Kingdom Visualizer, input your log, generate the kingdom, and copy and paste the BBCode part.

And here you go:

Code: [Select]
Fishing Village, Caravan, Smithy, Talisman, Bazaar, Mine, Minion, Saboteur, Bank, Expand
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:58:11 pm »

And that folks, is why I love Minion so much

Sorry, not everyone here forms their opinions of Dominion cards based on their experiences of crushing incompetent opponents.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:08:33 pm »

Sorry if my statement might've been a little bit on the exaggerated side. I do realize that in Dominion it does depend on the board what cards are good or not, but in certain cases their are cards (like Minion) that are really, really good. I guess a Minion engine person like me might have trouble going up against Rebuild, so I guess that might be one instance where Minion might not be as good but hey, it's Dominion, it all depends on the kingdom. And yes, I may have been playing some inexperienced players, but even experienced players will probably have a hard time beating a Minion engine so whatever
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:09:37 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:14 pm »
+1

ok ok ok. Geez. I didn't mean I wouldn't go or them in a cursing game. Letting your opponent get 8 Minions is just asking to be beaten. But I might be more inclined to get a $5 trasher before that Minion.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:24:52 pm »

Sorry if my statement might've been a little bit on the exaggerated side. I do realize that in Dominion it does depend on the board what cards are good or not, but in certain cases their are cards (like Minion) that are really, really good. I guess a Minion engine person like me might have trouble going up against Rebuild, so I guess that might be one instance where Minion might not be as good but hey, it's Dominion, it all depends on the kingdom. And yes, I may have been playing some inexperienced players, but even experienced players will probably have a hard time beating a Minion engine so whatever

An experienced player would go for the Minion engine, and then you may not find it so fun to be on the Minioned side. Someone posted the laws of Minion. That your good hand always gets discarded, their bad hand always gets discarded, you never draw a good hand from a discard and they always draw a good hand from a discard.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:26:34 pm »
+3

I don't think you understand. People don't dislike Minion because they think it's bad. People dislike Minion because it's a good card. You're forced to go for it fairly often and the outcome of the Minion split sometimes depends on who gets hosed first by the random discard. It leads to frustrating games where the luck component is magnified due to the nature of the card.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:45 pm »
+2

Minions are far from unbeatable. Some simple cards, like gold, still work well in four card hands. Also when you move into multiplayer games it becomes much more difficult to get enough minions to run a single card strategy.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:18 pm »

I know that Minion is not unbeatable, and I agree with most of the previous sentiments about it. It just happens to be one of my favorite cards. That's all.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51:14 pm »

I know that Minion is not unbeatable, and I agree with most of the previous sentiments about it. It just happens to be one of my favorite cards. That's all.

And no one said it can't be. But you asked why I don't like it, which is what started this conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:18:19 pm »
+1

ok ok ok. Geez. I didn't mean I wouldn't go or them in a cursing game. Letting your opponent get 8 Minions is just asking to be beaten. But I might be more inclined to get a $5 trasher before that Minion.

Oh sorry about the tone lol, I like using strong wording to boldface a point but reading back my post I realize it came off a bit harsh.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:46 pm »
+2

Oh sorry about the tone lol, I like using strong wording to boldface a point but reading back my post I realize it came off a bit harsh.

I pictured an angry person pointing their finger at me with a frowny face telling me to thing Minion is better.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:53 pm »

Here's an interesting one where my opponent and I split the Minions 5-5. I think my Menageries and maybe my Forager come out in a big way though
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.50a43c25e4b0addfc4f43029.1393466025024.txt

Crossroads, Embargo, Pawn, Squire, Forager, Menagerie, Merchant Ship, Minion, Tribute, Hoard

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 11:08:22 pm »

Here's an interesting one where my opponent and I split the Minions 5-5. I think my Menageries and maybe my Forager come out in a big way though
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140226/log.50a43c25e4b0addfc4f43029.1393466025024.txt

Crossroads, Embargo, Pawn, Squire, Forager, Menagerie, Merchant Ship, Minion, Tribute, Hoard

any source of non terminal money is great for minion. pawn and squire should also be very good here in addition to forager
Go, and do likewise.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:25 pm »
+2

Minion is actually really neat when it isn't the star of the show. Sometimes, you use their cycling to find your key terminals.

Worth noting is that, right before the reshuffle, you should think twice about going into autoplay and playing every Minion except the last one in your hand for coin. Instead, it might be worthwhile to reshuffle the spare Minions back into your deck so that they can be used for more draw. I remember seeing WanderingWinder doing that in order to get as many Goons into play as possible. I ended up doing that kind of thing myself to get as many bridges as possible into play.

It's unfortunate that new players are likely to have no idea how devastating Minions are. At least, they don't take unbearably long to resolve.

I think Donald knew what he was doing when he gave the names Minion and Pawn to the cards they now find themselves on. In the scope of Intrigue, the synergy between those cards is quite pronounced.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:10 am »

any source of non terminal money is great for minion. pawn and squire should also be very good here in addition to forager
That would work too, but I think my Menageries helped more because with a hand of four cards after my opponent played his Minions a couple of times a turn, basically meaning that having no duplicate cards in a hand of four cards is much easier than having no duplicate cards in a hand of five cards. This makes Menagerie a sort of counter to Minion in some ways, as drawing three cards with the Menagerie is much easier with the lessened hand size, and even gets you to more cards than you would've had had he not played the Minion the previous turn
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:32:37 am by Trogdor the Burninator »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 09:37:38 am »

That would work too, but I think my Menageries helped more because with a hand of four cards after my opponent played his Minions a couple of times a turn, basically meaning that having no duplicate cards in a hand of four cards is much easier than having no duplicate cards in a hand of five cards. This makes Menagerie a sort of counter to Minion in some ways, as drawing three cards with the Menagerie is much easier with the lessened hand size, and even gets you to more cards than you would've had had he not played the Minion the previous turn

Except with Minion you'll be discarding all those cards you draw unless you play them. So they had better be Pawn or other non-terminal cards.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »

I love Minion

For what it's worth at this point, i too hate Minion for that exact reason. Also in real life their turns are taking ages and it's one of the cards where tracking what it did is a pain (as with quite some Intrigue cards). I got used to putting my discard Minions and money Minion on two different sides when i play them.
At least it's not Rebuild.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:21:14 pm by Asper »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 03:29:02 am »
+1

I pictured an angry person pointing their finger at me with a frowny face telling me to thing Minion is better.

Remember that time like 30 minutes ago when minion wasn't all that hot? Huh? It was still decent? Yeah. Yeah I guess you're right.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.