Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What Expansions Would You Like to See Next?  (Read 7642 times)

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
What Expansions Would You Like to See Next?
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:09:31 pm »

Theme or mechanics.

Special Powers
'Renaissance' Theme
Non-attack interaction theme
A 10-card set that talks about other cards in the set
Attack-Durations (not a whole expansion on this though, added to another one would be nice)
Beyond Colony and Platinum
Sci-fi theme!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: What Expansions Would You Like to See Next?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »
+5

There's no easy way to tell you this so I'll just be direct. There won't be any more dominion expansions. I'm so sorry.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:14:06 pm »

(I assume you're aware that no future expansions are planned.)

I'd like to see an expansion with a theme outside western civilization.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »
+2

There's no easy way to tell you this so I'll just be direct. There won't be any more dominion expansions. I'm so sorry.

perhaps the OP would be interested in heading over to the fan cards subforum.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:33:10 pm »
+1

I thought Donald said that he thinks Guilds might be the last one, but he might make others... :(

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:31 pm »
+5

I thought Donald said that he thinks Guilds might be the last one, but he might make others... :(

You are correct, sir!

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of "one-shot" expansion, with a focus on single-use abilities. Maybe some new tokens? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.  :D

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:09 pm »
+2

You are correct, sir!

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of "one-shot" expansion, with a focus on single-use abilities. Maybe some new tokens? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.  :D
Actaully, that was the original mechanic for 'Intruige' but I read somewhere that some people didn't like one-shots...I'd agree that a whole expansion on that one mechanic would make the game a bit boring, with no Actions in your hand. One part of another expansion would be a good idea, though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »
+1

You are correct, sir!

Actaully, that was the original mechanic for 'Intruige' but I read somewhere that some people didn't like one-shots...I'd agree that a whole expansion on that one mechanic would make the game a bit boring, with no Actions in your hand. One part of another expansion would be a good idea, though.
I wonder about that.

Be sure to check the variants and fan cards subforum.

There's also a card design contest currently going on right now over there. Well actually, it's on standby until the person running the contest decides to start it up again.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »
+4

the person running the contest

The unnamed person, who may or may not be posting in this very thread, not that anyone's putting undue pressure on him to start it back up, no sir.

Poke poke poke.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:04 pm »
+4

Hmm, good call. What if there were only a couple of actual one-shot cards, and then a handful of you-may-trash-this cards, like Mining Village? And—brainstorm!—what if there were one-shot cards that didn't leave your deck after you played them for their ones-shot ability? Like, you got a token when you gained the card, then you could use the token when you played that card to get some extra bonus, but the card stayed in your deck? That would solve the situation where you have no Actions left. And then some off-theme cards to round things out. Is this working? Am I selling you on this?

The unnamed person, who may or may not be posting in this very thread, not that anyone's putting undue pressure on him to start it back up, no sir.

Yeah, that jerk really needs to get his act together. I mean it's been months since…oh. Uh, yeah. I'll, uh, try to get that guy to get back to work on that.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:58:24 pm »

Hmm, good call. What if there were only a couple of actual one-shot cards, and then a handful of you-may-trash-this cards, like Mining Village? And—brainstorm!—what if there were one-shot cards that didn't leave your deck after you played them for their ones-shot ability? Like, you got a token when you gained the card, then you could use the token when you played that card to get some extra bonus, but the card stayed in your deck? That would solve the situation where you have no Actions left. And then some off-theme cards to round things out. Is this working? Am I selling you on this?
You are indeed selling me on this. Tokens are always a plus, and the one-shot theme is still there! Also, a card that could go with this could be 'trash a card costing at least $[?]. Then [special power.]
The cost of the card you trash should be a sacrifice, so the special power should also be really good. There should also be another, un-related benefit if you don't have a card costing [?]. Feel free to steal this idea if you want to make a fan expansion!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:58:55 pm »
+6

Beyond Colony and Platinum

I see people talking about this occasionally here and there, and I have to ask, what would be the point? Colony/Platinum already open up big, heavy engines which wouldn't be viable on Province boards. Something beyond those doesn't open up bigger, heavier engines almost ever - because those Colony engines are already going to be gaining the majority of their most relevant cards before greening, and/or hitting a three pile ending due to engine size. Now this is F.DS so we should all mention the obligatory edge cases where basically every card in the supply is useful to you engine, or you could keep building and those even bigger cards would matter to your super-long game, but I doubt that most of the time it would have a particularly big impact, and when it does, I don't think it'd be for the better.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 08:25:00 pm »
+7

I'm man enough to admit that I teared up a little reading this.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 08:34:09 pm »
+1

And there won't be any more Isotropic Dominion either ;________;
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 08:37:00 pm »
+2

You are indeed selling me on this. Tokens are always a plus, and the one-shot theme is still there! Also, a card that could go with this could be 'trash a card costing at least $[?]. Then [special power.]
The cost of the card you trash should be a sacrifice, so the special power should also be really good. There should also be another, un-related benefit if you don't have a card costing [?]. Feel free to steal this idea if you want to make a fan expansion!

He's saying all this because he already is in the middle of making one. Look at his Dominion:Enterprise thread in the fan card section.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 08:59:46 pm »
+3

He's saying all this because he already is in the middle of making one. Look at his Dominion:Enterprise thread in the fan card section.

Thank you for being part of my focus group testing, Nik! It's nice to know that the set sounds interesting when I just describe the mechanics.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:21 pm »

Non-attack interaction theme

(It's worth noting that this is a subtheme of Prosperity.)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:25 pm »
+2

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 01:18:25 am »
+9

I want the next Dominion expansion to be.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:51 pm »

Being would be a great start.

I would love to see cards that upgrade themselves. We already have a few examples (Urchin, Hermit, arguably Fool's Gold), but I think there's enough potential to make a full expansion without getting repetitive. You can have multi-level expansions, cards that interact with their upgraded versions. You could even have cards that upgrade to a card of a different type. An action that could replace itself with a Duchy would be wacky.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:39 pm »
+5

An action that could replace itself with a Duchy would be wacky.

It would be a feast of wackiness!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 12:18:37 pm »
+4

An action that could replace itself with a Duchy would be wacky.

It would be a feast of wackiness!

Or a…hunting grounds of wackiness?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:30 pm »

I think i once heard that he wouldn't mind making some more wacky, silly cards, when the main part was done - something that left the ground of normal boardgaming. I can't remember where i read it, and don't know about you, but personally, i don't want to see an expansion dedicated to Charade, Drinking Games or Singing.

What i'd rather see (and think is more likely) is: "Dominion - B side". The theme would be "cards that didn't make it into other sets".
Oh, no, wait... I don't actually want to see that, either.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 01:47:53 pm »
+1

I think i once heard that he wouldn't mind making some more wacky, silly cards, when the main part was done - something that left the ground of normal boardgaming. I can't remember where i read it, and don't know about you, but personally, i don't want to see an expansion dedicated to Charade, Drinking Games or Singing.
The Strip Dominion expansion would be pretty cool, though!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:08 pm »

if by chance there's another one, I hope it's a 'regular' size one. The half size (Guilds, Cornucopia, Alchemy) are quite expensive per card by comparison.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.