Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun with Merchant Guild  (Read 2296 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Fun with Merchant Guild
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:34:35 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140218/log.516ddc20e4b082c74d7cbc04.1392778304280.txt

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Pearl Diver, Vagrant, Coppersmith, Fortress, Herald, Catacombs, Junk Dealer, Merchant Guild, Rebuild
This worked out better than I thought and I didn't know what to do with myself. I probably messed around building way too much instead of ending it earlier but having about 40 coin tokens was just too much fun. I really just wanted more buys so I could buy a bunch of stuff because that's what Dominion is about, right? Playing a bunch of cool cards? Anyway, I'm sure you guys have some input about poor house type decks and I would appreciate it, as I haven't played many of them. Thanks.

EDIT: I wonder how rebuild would do against this engine?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:36:29 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Merchant Guild
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:33:03 am »

I am honestly very surprised by the early Heralds. Moreso for your opponent, but even for yourself, you only had two Junk Dealers when you got your first. And you got it on a 5. Given how many crucial engine pieces like Merchant Guild and Catacombs depend on 5, that was definitely a mistake.
Generally, you only need villages-even good ones like Herald-after you have multiple terminals in your deck. With the Fortresses supporting, the Herald split wasn't going to make a difference. Besides, there was always the risk that Heralding into a Junk Dealer would make you trash something you didn't want to trash.
The engine looked strong here, and I think you definitely had a better opening than your opponent, but always look for opportunities to improve.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:05 am »
+1

I am honestly very surprised by the early Heralds. Moreso for your opponent, but even for yourself, you only had two Junk Dealers when you got your first. And you got it on a 5. Given how many crucial engine pieces like Merchant Guild and Catacombs depend on 5, that was definitely a mistake.
Generally, you only need villages-even good ones like Herald-after you have multiple terminals in your deck. With the Fortresses supporting, the Herald split wasn't going to make a difference. Besides, there was always the risk that Heralding into a Junk Dealer would make you trash something you didn't want to trash.
The engine looked strong here, and I think you definitely had a better opening than your opponent, but always look for opportunities to improve.

I don't think it was "definitely" a mistake. Herald is a really strong card, and sometimes winning the split is so important that you dive into them even before you have good action density. I mean, it's the same way with Scrying Pool. You don't wait to get good action density before heading for Scyring Pool, you head there on turn 1 if you Scrying Pool at all.

Now, Fortress and Catacombs means there is another way to build an engine that doesn't really rely on Herald.

But... yeah, I would tend to think mass Herald is the way to go. I mean you might want Fortresses just to have something to trash with Junk Dealer. Getting early Junk Dealers is definitely more important than Heralds, but he does get 2 of them first, so... yeah, I think his play is good.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:45:18 am »

EDIT: I wonder how rebuild would do against this engine?

I think the engine stomps Rebuild, because it's a Shelters game, and there's nothing special for Rebuild, no sifting or anything like Warehouse or Scavenger.

Without Shelters, Rebuild is a contender, because the engine has no way to slow Rebuild down, and it's going to take at least a little while before you are really racking up the coin tokens. I think Rebuild would probably triumph in that case.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:27 am »

Thanks for the advice! I think I bought the herald on 5 before I realized that 3 junk dealers would be really nice. But I was thinking of using heralds to catch eachother or maybe a junk dealer and use them as villages. I wanted to use the fortresses more as something the junk dealers could trash as I had no way to get rid of them after their job was done. I seemed to be drawing my deck fine without catacombs, though I'm not sure why I didn't pick a couple up.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:19:31 am »

This is a great engine board. There's basically a use for everything BUT Rebuild (and Coppersmith)!!!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:41:36 am »

Thanks for posting it up, it is a better merchant guild game, but it stills looks like a weak card to me. I'm guessing you could get 5 provinces in 16 turns using coppersmiths or poor houses in an engine for simple 8 coin turns, even without the merchant guild.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:07 pm »

Thanks for posting it up, it is a better merchant guild game, but it stills looks like a weak card to me. I'm guessing you could get 5 provinces in 16 turns using coppersmiths or poor houses in an engine for simple 8 coin turns, even without the merchant guild.

Coppersmith would be harder, but Poor House looks really nice here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.