Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Kickstarter games  (Read 24468 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter games
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2014, 11:22:12 am »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:40 am »

Lots of kickstarter games on my radar right now.  Only backing one right now, very highly considering backing another, and the others I'll be watching out for in retail.

Artifacts, Inc. is a new game by Ryan Laukat.  He's my favourite game artist and he has a good track record with kickstarter games, both for reliability and for quality of game.  I think he's most famous for the Eight Minute Empire series of games.  I'm highly looking forward to The Ancient World, which should be arriving in a month or two.  For those who cares about such things, Laukat runs a small independent publishing company with his wife, Red Raven Games, so he legitimately needs kickstarter to help fund his work.

Artifacts, Inc. looks to be a light-ish dice placement game.  You send your intrepid adventurers out on expeditions to find artifacts, and you sell them to museums to grow your own assets and increase your reputation.  The theme appeals to me, and the art brings the theme through very well. 

This is the game I am backing.  For those in the US, the kickstarter price looks very competitive with what can be expected in retail.  It's a bit higher for me in Canada, but I'm willing to put in the extra money here to support the designer (and maybe get an exclusive box cover...).  Check this one out!

Steampunk Rally is a racing game where you draft cards to build and power a steampunk contraption.  It had a relatively high goal but it has easily blown past it and cracked open a treasure trove of stretch goals.   With the addition of 40 metal cogs for free, it looks to be great value.  The rahdo runs through video makes it look like a nice little game, though perhaps a little light on player interaction.

This is the game I am probably going to back.  The value does look really good, and the designers are from Alberta, where I live.  My main hesitation is that it is fairly expensive, and I know very little about the creators.  The campaign looks good though, so maybe this will be the first project I back from an actual first time creator.  (I backed Progress a while ago, which was a first-time KS, but the creators behind that had completed another project on IndieGoGo.)

Roots is a party game which reminds me a little of Apples to Apples.  You use prefix and suffix cards to form word trees and attempt to build words that fit given categories or subjects.  I think the idea is neat.  My main concern is that the game has public submissions, unlike Apples to Apples or Dixit.  That means that if one player is close to winning, players may be disinclined to award them even if they had the best entry.

Snake Oil is another party game with public entries, this one from the actual publishers of Apples to Apples.  The KS is for a second stand-alone expansion, though you can get the other two games as well for one mega pack.  In this game, one player takes on the role of customer and is given a character.  the other players combine words in their hand to make products, which they will then pitch to the customer.  As far as party games go, this sounds like it can spark a lot of creativity and laughter.

Stockpile is ending soon and I'm not sure if it's going to make it.  It's close though!  This is a game about insider trading on the stock market.  The theme is not interesting to me, but the central mechanism of the game sounds really neat.

Each player receives some insider information about how the market is going to change at the end of the round.  With this knowledge in hand, players will create stockpiles with face-up and face-down cards and then bid on those stockpiles, trying to get the best stocks with the right timing.

Desert Island is essentially a revamped version of the classic game, Lifeboat.  The designer has taken years of play and feedback to improve that game, and Desert Island is the result.  The theme is fun and the character-driven gameplay looks delightful.

New Bedford is a worker placement game by Dice Hate Me Games, most famous (I think) for Compounded and Viva Java.  I'm hearing a lot of positive comparisons to Le Havre, which is a game I've wanted to try for a while now.  That said, I'm not really looking for another Worker Placement at this point.

Finally, I've also got an eye on Spell Saga, though I actually haven't looked too closely at it.  It is one-player story telling game.  From what I can tell, it's sort of like a choose-your-own-adventure book in board game form, probably with some gaming tropes like stats and inventory.  It looks rather charming and I like the idea.  That said, I'm almost certainly not going to back it.  $20 shipping to Canada is too much for me.  Moreover, if I'm going to do solo gaming, I might as well play a video game or computer game, eh?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:52:44 am by eHalcyon »

Droege Boy Creations

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • GUNSLINGER: LEGENDS OF THE DUSTY TRAIL
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »

Also, GUNSLINGER: LEGENDS OF THE DUSTY TRAIL is out on Kickstarter.  It's wild west themed with 7 different posse bosses and dozens of unique gunfighters.  It's at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2105924787/gunslinger-legends-of-the-dusty-trail

Just saying...

getdagnis

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2015, 08:06:03 am »

Hi Boardgame Strategy!

Over the last year and a bit I have designed a board game named Mission to Mars 2049 that is available on Indiegogo now.

Mission to Mars 2049 is a family board game that is set in the near future. Your objective in the game is to colonize Mars before anyone else does.

Frequently Asked Questions are available here

The campaign can be seen here

A perk that will get you a copy of the game is €29 + shipping.

For any questions please email me through this forum, I haven't yet left an email about the game unanswered. Thanks and hope you will enjoy it!

Veldriss

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »

I do not know when, but the publisher Giochix will launch MedioEvo Universalis on giochistarter and kickstarter ... it will still take some time.

I open a discussion in this section: http://boardgamestrategy.net/forum/index.php?topic=12322.0

More information on:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MedioEvo-universalis/338731266147194
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119881/medioevo-universalis
http://www.giochix.it/

yes_or_no

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:14 pm »

In June 2015 Alter Publishing House will launch their board game Trenches of Hell on kickstarter. Defenitely worth trying.

Trenches of Hell is a game where you take the role of infantry battalion commanders on the Western Front in the First World War. You have three nations to choose from – the conservative British, the offense-inclined French, and the extremely effective Germans. Each nation has a different battalion structure, and thus a different set of tokens representing units and nation cards that you play in the game. Your task will be to get as many victory points as possible, which you receive from carrying out orders. This, in turn, determines which fields in the enemy’s system of trenches must be occupied only temporarily, or kept completely. The battle takes place on a board representing both players’ network of fortifications, separated by a narrow strip of No Man’s Land.

For more information click here --->  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170847/trenches-hell

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »
+1

We need to somehow make clear that this thread isn't intended for advertising, but for recommendations.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2015, 07:10:45 pm »
+1

I was just going to make a new thread in the future, if I were so inclined, and put that notice in the OP.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.