Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Kickstarter games  (Read 24405 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter games
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »
+1

Lots of good looking games currently on KS.  Most of them have steep international shipping though.

Progress: Evolution of Technology is a civ-building game which is entirely focused on advancing the tech tree.  rahdo has a run through of it, if you are interested.  I'm backing this one because the shipping is OK.

Penny Press is a newspaper-themed euro game that looks absolutely delightful.  Send reporters to cover stories, then go to print at the right time to get the scoop on your opponents.  The graphic design looks superb -- even the box looks like a stack of newspapers.

Shadow Throne is an inexpensive card drafting game that looks pretty neat.

ESSEN: the Game is a pick-up and deliver game where you play visitors at Essen trying to buy the best games.  Yeah, kind of meta.  It's worth noting that the KS says they won't be distributing to retailers (other than those who themselves pledge through the KS campaign), though it'll be available at Essen itself.  One funny mechanic is that you get slowed down by all the games you carry, so you'll have to go back to your car to drop off your purchases.  Hilarious.

Ophir, another pick-up and deliver game.  I don't know much else about it, but the art is really pretty.  The link here is for the preview page as the project is not live yet.  I think the link should stay the same when it goes live (any time now, from what I hear).

BattleCON: War Remastered, which I mentioned elsewhere.  It's basically a fighting video game in board game format.

Bedtime Heroes appeals to me a little, mostly from the theme.  The artwork is OK and the gameplay looks decent, for a game that is more geared towards kids.  From the looks of it though, it's not going to fund.

Rasmon

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:06 am »

In case anyone is following this thread, I posted something about the Galaxy Defenders kick starter here: http://boardgamestrategy.net/forum/index.php?topic=11310.0

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »

My copy of Equinox should be arriving at home today! Sadly, I won't be at home to receive my first kickstarted game, but hopefully I can let you guys know how it is this weekend or in the next few weeks!

Katie

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:24 am »

I think even the big guys are launching on KS to test the market for the game before big production.  I think Common man games did it with police precinct (great game) and Jesters Hand is launching the whole company with the Kickstarter of Siege of Verdan. Most publishers plan on losing money on the first launch to get market penetration. :-*

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »
+2

Just an update for those interested: Sentinel Tactics is out four months ahead of schedule, and all the Kickstarter copies are in the mail, so we'll have copies for sale at GenCon.

Also I'll be running demos in the Greater Than Games booth most of the con, so come by if you get a chance!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

Two projects that I am currently backing:

Eight-Minute Empires: Lost Lands, which is an expansion to 8ME: Legends, which was the sequel to the original 8ME.  8ME is a quick, compact area control game.  Legends is widely acknowledged to be an all around improvement over the original, and it has recently been reprinted.  Lost Lands adds components for 2 more players, a variant that uses card drafting, a bunch more cards and a new board.  At the current rate, all listed stretch goals will likely be unlocked (it remains to be seen if more will be added).  Ryan Laukat, the designer, illustrator and publisher, has a proven track record with Kickstarter so I feel good about backing his work.

Pack O Game is a project with 4+ micro games.  Each game is composed of 30 cards of size 2" x 1".  Of the 4 games, I am highly interested in one, moderately interested in two others, and not interested in the fourth.  More games may be unlocked if stretch goals are reached (the project is on the verge of funding), and there are two others that I am very interested in among those.  This is the first KS project by the designer, but he seems to have good credentials in the industry.  I probably won't love any of the games, but I am still fascinated by micro game design.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2014, 12:08:16 pm »

Compounded is an excellent resource-management game based (very, very loosely) on chemistry.  Perfect for scientists.  This KS is for their expansion, but you can get the original as well as the expansion.

(I have no stake in this KS other than wanting to see more stretch goals.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2014, 12:43:33 pm »

Have you played Compounded?  I saw it around, but I'm not sure if it's a game for me.  Any suggestions on how I can find that out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »

Have you played Compounded?  I saw it around, but I'm not sure if it's a game for me.  Any suggestions on how I can find that out?

It's hard to tell, I suspect, without playing it or at least reading the rules.  Basic flow is that you collect elements randomly, build compounds to score points and expand your lab.  There's a bunch of other craziness with fires and safety goggles.  Elements are traceable during a phase so there's a fair amount of trading among those who got stuff they didn't want.

If you're a science person you'll likely enjoy it for the humor.  I'd call it 7 strategy, 3 luck, 6 interaction, out of 10.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2014, 12:58:17 pm »

Just an update for those interested: Sentinel Tactics is out four months ahead of schedule, and all the Kickstarter copies are in the mail, so we'll have copies for sale at GenCon.

Also I'll be running demos in the Greater Than Games booth most of the con, so come by if you get a chance!

rrenaud just got his copy.  Looking forward to playing it!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

So I just downloaded Star Realms for my phone (Android, I don't think we have a mobile games thread anywhere.  Also I'm too lazy to look and I think this game was kickstarted anyways)  and I ahve been having a lot of fun with it.  I haven't dived in and purchased the full game yet, but what I have played is a lot of fun.  It plays very similarly to ascension, which I didn't like very much and I know a lot of other people here don't like very much.  But I think this game works better than ascension.  I'm not sure what makes it work better, but I think it's that instead of having 2 paths to get points (sorry if that's wrong, I haven't touched ascension in ages) but there's only one way to win: Kill the other player. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »

So I just downloaded Star Realms for my phone (Android, I don't think we have a mobile games thread anywhere.  Also I'm too lazy to look and I think this game was kickstarted anyways)  and I ahve been having a lot of fun with it.  I haven't dived in and purchased the full game yet, but what I have played is a lot of fun.  It plays very similarly to ascension, which I didn't like very much and I know a lot of other people here don't like very much.  But I think this game works better than ascension.  I'm not sure what makes it work better, but I think it's that instead of having 2 paths to get points (sorry if that's wrong, I haven't touched ascension in ages) but there's only one way to win: Kill the other player. 

I've also been enjoying Star Realms, and both the paper and digital versions were indeed kickstarted.  I also haven't gone in for the full version yet... perhaps soon.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »

I downloaded the app but haven't actually played it yet.

For the physical version, if I understand it properly, a single set supports 2 players but you can combine 3 sets to support up to 6.  No idea if it works well with so many players though.

BGG store has (had?) a bunch of promo sets for Star Realms.  Well, at least two.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:23 pm »

For the physical version, if I understand it properly, a single set supports 2 players but you can combine 3 sets to support up to 6.  No idea if it works well with so many players though.

BGG store has (had?) a bunch of promo sets for Star Realms.  Well, at least two.

I don't see how it could possibly work with more than two players, given that you're directly attacking the other players.  Much like Magic only works properly with two.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 05:31:36 pm »

I don't see how it could possibly work with more than two players, given that you're directly attacking the other players.  Much like Magic only works properly with two.

I was reading about this game just before the app was released, and apparently there are team variants that work really well. I have the app and it's a lot of fun; I thought my Dominion skill would transfer and it really doesn't so much.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2014, 05:49:55 pm »

Dominion skill only transfers to Star Realms ans Ascension to a certain extent; in both cases, the tableau of cards available to the players is not equal, and changes throughout the game.  Both games are more tactical and less strategic than Dominion.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:52 am »

I backed Equinox on Kickstarter -- my IRL friend actually knew the designer and had a copy of an earlier version of the game to playtest. I've played that one many times and the new one from Kickstarter once. A lot has changed, but my impressions of Equinox are like this:

The game feels a little bit like chess, where your move this time is based a lot on your opponent's potential reactions to that move. That is a little bit less so in the current version because you're playing two tiles on your turn instead of just one, but a lot of time you're just playing a tile so your opponent can't do it. If you aren't looking a couple of moves ahead you're just going to get blown out, since there's a lot of subtle planning you can take advantage of.

You can treat Equinox like a light game and just do stuff and see what happens, but it's actually really heavy if you want to try and win, your moves should be very much thought out and planned carefully.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:07 am »

I backed Equinox on Kickstarter -- my IRL friend actually knew the designer and had a copy of an earlier version of the game to playtest. I've played that one many times and the new one from Kickstarter once. A lot has changed, but my impressions of Equinox are like this:

The game feels a little bit like chess, where your move this time is based a lot on your opponent's potential reactions to that move. That is a little bit less so in the current version because you're playing two tiles on your turn instead of just one, but a lot of time you're just playing a tile so your opponent can't do it. If you aren't looking a couple of moves ahead you're just going to get blown out, since there's a lot of subtle planning you can take advantage of.

You can treat Equinox like a light game and just do stuff and see what happens, but it's actually really heavy if you want to try and win, your moves should be very much thought out and planned carefully.

That's what I found too.  I have only played it 3 or 4 times, but I see a lot there that I'm missing.  I really like it, but it can seem a little overwhelming once a lot of tiles are placed. 

Question:  When you play wind, do you put point tokens on all the new tiles?  Because that's how I've been playing.  Also, do all the tiles get point tokens for turn 1? (So player 2 gets a point)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:43 am »

With wind, all tiles get points on them. At the start of the game, none of them do -- the person who goes second gets to decide which color they want to be after seeing the opening tiles and that's the balancing factor (at least that's the way it was in the prototype)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:48 am »

Interesting.  The rules that shipped with mine just say the first person plays 1 tile, and the second plays 2.  I've chosen color first.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:29 am »

Interesting.  The rules that shipped with mine just say the first person plays 1 tile, and the second plays 2.  I've chosen color first.

this is probably right

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2014, 01:12:02 pm »

More self promotion. Have I no shame?!?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/dragon-tides

Answer: I in fact do have no shame.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »

Hey all,

I'm momentarily coming out of my lurker status again to highlight the kickstarter for the One Night Ultimate Werewolf expansion: Daybreak.  Although the game had tremendous support right out of the gate and immediately reached its goal and then some, it's lost a little steam and I'm worried that it won't reach its final stretch goal. But I want that final role, so I thought I'd post about it here  ;D If someone else has already mentioned it somewhere, sorry, I didn't see it.

Anyway, ONUW is an absolute blast. Unlike most social deduction games, you're not always sure who you are at the end, so it means you need to figure out your own role as well as everyone else's. It also means everyone (even the lowly villagers) should be willing to lie like crazy.   :D

Daybreak is adding a ton of interesting new roles to the game that will increase strategic possibilities, mess with the metagame, and encourage lying in all new ways!

On the kickstarter you also get additional characters that won't be in the retail version. So, I highly recommend checking it out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:56 pm »

You don't really have anything to worry about.  kicktraq is projecting $140K, and most campaigns move slower in the middle.  They typically fund the most on the first couple days and in the last two days.  The latter is because reminder emails are sent out at 48 hours for those who have starred the project.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:14 am »

Paranoia is back!  Not technically a board game, obviously.  Still a classic though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.