Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Kickstarter games  (Read 24499 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Kickstarter games
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:56:43 am »
+1

EDIT: Maybe this thread could be the thread to link to new kickstarter games.  I no longer check BGG so regularly, so it would be nice for there to be a place where I hear about new games.

So, Lagoon: Land of Druids.  It is currently up on Kickstarter.  I have not looked too much into it yet but I was wondering if others have any thoughts on it.  All I know is that it looks gorgeous and the theme grabs me.  It might actually be too deep in fantasy for my taste, but I'll figure that out later.  Have you guys seen anything about it?

And a broader question -- are there any hot new games?  I have not really kept up with board gaming news in the last several months.  I checked BGG to investigate promos for Among the Stars and ended up stumbling across Lagoon.  Anything neat that I may have missed out on hearing about?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:56:16 pm by eHalcyon »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Lagoon and other new games
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »

Nothing about new games to offer here, but just wanted to say that Lagoon does look absolutely gorgeous -- and I love the tile-laying theme. I've been playing quite a lot of Suburbia lately, and it's my favorite part of the game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:34:41 am »

Is kickstarter the main way games get created these days?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:42:20 am »

I don't think so.  I think most of the big games are still coming out through the established names, like RGG, Asmodee, Days of Wonder, etc.

Speaking of Kickstarter though, I received Among the Stars a couple months ago and finally got a chance to play it recently.  It's good!  Haven't tried the expansion yet.  I think the part I like least is how much card sorting will be required in the setup stage if I mix the basic cards of the expansion and the original game.  You're not supposed to use all the cards at once, but for balance reasons it's recommended that you have 3 copies of any specific card you include.  Some cards are broken when there's only one of them, whether it's the Council Room (which is worth a lot more points if nobody else builds one) or the Turret (which is worth very few points unless you build multiples of them).

After looking at Lagoon a bit more, I don't think I'll be buying in.  It really does look spectacular, but the game mechanics are a bit dry to me.  The game seems very puzzle-y as well.  In fact, they mention a solitaire mode and the Updates section even has a bunch of puzzles ("with this setup, accomplish this goal within this many moves" kind of deal).  That's pretty cool but I think it's more of a brain-burner than I'm looking for.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:52:43 am »

Y'know, Dominion has solitaire.  Some people make puzzles too..

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:02:04 am »

I know, I know. :P

The Lagoon puzzles are more like the chess puzzles that you see in newspapers (those exist, right?).  They are interesting, but a little dry to me.  If it sounds interesting to you, you should take a look and see if it's up your alley!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:01:58 am »

I know, I know. :P

The Lagoon puzzles are more like the chess puzzles that you see in newspapers (those exist, right?).  They are interesting, but a little dry to me.  If it sounds interesting to you, you should take a look and see if it's up your alley!

The core gameplay is not puzzles though.  Just because something can be turned into a puzzle doesn't mean it is more calculable than other games.  It depends how frequently puzzle-like scenarios come up in normal gameplay and how much of an edge being able to solve those will matter.  Most checkmates are routine, though a substantial minority are puzzle like, so it is somewhat of an indicator of how analytic chess is.  It's easy to make puzzles for a TCG like Hearthstone or Magic the Gathering as well, of any difficulty you like, but the odds of those appearing in a real game are almost zero, so it's not very indicative of how calculable those games are.  Then you have something like Tetris where a puzzle is very closely linked to how you would perform in a Tetris attack head-to-head.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:49 pm »
+1

Fair enough.

I think Lagoon game play would be fairly puzzle-like if you want to optimise your turns. In playing it, I think I would spend far too much time trying to figure out if I could do better. AP to the max.

Have you looked into Lagoon? What do you think of it?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »
+1

I just backed Lagoon! It'll be my first kickstarted game. Looks beautiful and fun and it's already gotten a bunch of stretch goals, making it a great deal.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »

I just backed Lagoon! It'll be my first kickstarted game. Looks beautiful and fun and it's already gotten a bunch of stretch goals, making it a great deal.

Awesome! 

The first (and so far only) thing I backed on KS was Among the Stars.  A friend advised me that, when backing on KS, you should consider it to be a donation rather than a purchase.  Some funded KS projects fail to deliver, so it's best not to expect it.  At the least, you should not expect for it to deliver on time.  AtS was slated for October but didn't actually get to me until late December/early January, in three separate shipments no less.  My friend said that it's more fun to think of them as donations and then forget you backed them in the first place, because then you get awesome gifts that arrive in the mail unexpectedly.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 01:55:25 pm »

@ehalc I think that's a really good way of looking at things. I know it's a while from being delivered, so I really might forget about it!

That being said.....

Lagoon is 34 hours from being fully funded and the last announced stretch goal is looking good! So I'm excited and would totally recommend anyone even sort of interested to check it out. We've gotten all kinds of wooden goodies included now!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:36 pm »

Wow, that does look cool.  And it comes in August, which is pretty quick turnaround for a kickstarter (i think?).. I remember waiting way longer for some of the others I've funded.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter games
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:31:57 pm »

Can we make this into a thread where people can post new kickstarter games?  I don't check BGG regularly so it would be nice to see this in a place I do check somewhat regularly.

There was a
big post on BGG
today though.  Lots of games on it; I haven't had time to look through it all.  One I notice right away is Equinox, a 2 player game.  I heard about it before (back when it was in beta, I think) and it seemed really interesting to me.  Unfortunately, it's US only.  Note that the campaign is extremely short -- it's ending in 2 days.

Not on that list (but on a previous list that I missed, maybe?) is The Ancient World.  I don't even remember how I ended up browsing to it (and I opened it in a new tab so I can't backtrack to find out).  I don't know anything about it yet except that, like Lagoon, the art is gorgeous.  The theme is also one that I really like, generic as it is.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:14 pm »

Yeah, I'm also interested in Equinox. I might support it, although I do not have many real-life board-game-playing opportunities.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:32:31 am »

Equinox does look pretty cool.  Kinda has an Innovation vibe to it.  Do you think it will have a larger run after the kickstarter?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:52 am »
+1

I just got Paperback in the mail today, which I kickstarted awhile ago. It's attempting to be a deck building word game, where you have a hand of letters and the more complex word you can spell, you get points to buy better letters / other rewards. I haven't played it yet, but I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 03:56:40 am »

I just got Paperback in the mail today, which I kickstarted awhile ago. It's attempting to be a deck building word game, where you have a hand of letters and the more complex word you can spell, you get points to buy better letters / other rewards. I haven't played it yet, but I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow.

I remember this.  It was interesting to me, but I passed on it in the end.  Let us know how it is!

Thoughts on The Ancient World (TAW) after watching the overview videos (but before reading the prototype rules)...

TAW is designed by the guy who designed Eight-Minute Empire, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, City of Iron and Empires of the Void.  All of them seem to have been done on Kickstarter by the designer/game company, so it's clear that he has the experience.  All of these previous games are well-reviewed on Dice Tower, with especially strong praise for City of Iron on both design and production values.  Incredibly, the artist is apparently the game designer himself.

Side notes on these other games: The Eight-Minute Empire games are mostly notable for being highly portable and quick while still being quite decent (15-30 minutes, so the name is a bit misleading ;) ).  Empires of the Void is a neat space combat game.  I hadn't heard about City of Iron before, but now I kind of wish I had when the kickstarter was going.  It looks like a great euro game, and the art there is also wonderful.  On the flip side, it shares some mechanics with TAW and I am liking the theme for TAW a bit more, so maybe it's not a bad thing that I missed it!

The theme here is much more interesting than I had first thought.  It looked like a general "ancient civilization" game, but that's not quite it.  It's a mythological world that is overrun by titans, and the player's goal is to unite tribes in the land and defeat titans.  I think that's pretty awesome.

The design look solid to me.  It is a relatively simple worker placement game, with complexity coming in the variety of cards that you can use.  There are some interesting mechanics.  One thing I find intriguing is the way that the armies work.  Army cards will provide the firepower you need to defeat titans, but you need to pay to activate armies, with the payment being left on the card.  The cost is $1 more than however much is on the card, i.e. $1 initially, then $2, then $4, then $8... it's just a tidy, elegant little trick. 

As the game progresses, you will recruit new armies and retire old ones (you have limited space for how many armies you can keep up).  A retired army will confer a legacy bonus to whatever army replaces it, as depicted by an icon on the back of the army card.  Usually that's more strength.  This is another neat mechanic that lets you grow more powerful as the game goes on.

The worker placement is pretty neat.  You start with 3 numbered workers.  You can go to an occupied space by placing a worker with a higher number.  Two exceptions to this rule are the spaces for recruiting new armies and for getting new empire cards (which offer a great variety of bonuses).  These spaces are always accessible, but you must pay $1 if you use a worker that is differently numbered than workers already there.  Together, this offers some interesting tactical decisions.  Do you use your high-numbered worker to block a space, or to make it less likely that you get blocked?  If you're the first to go get an empire or army card, which worker do you use to leave yourself the most options while also making others pay?

A final pro for this game is that, according to a playtester, it can weigh in at just over an hour for 4 players.  That sounds fantastic.

Some cons that I see:

- Although the setting is beautiful, the theme still seems somewhat pasted-on.  The titans are threatening the tribes, but they are passive as far as your own empire is concerned.  They won't attack you unless you attack them first.
- The damage they deal is random.  You'll only attack a titan if you have the requisite military power, at which point victory is assured.  But then you roll a die to determine how much damage you received during the battle.  If you're lucky you don't take damage at all.  If you're unlucky, the penalty can be pretty harsh.  It'll take actual play to see for sure, but I fear it could be fairly swingy.  Granted, this particular mechanic could be house-ruled to be less harsh.  On the flip side, the potential devastation IS thematic, and it means less skilled players have a chance.  I've got to play it before I can judge whether the tension and potential pain ultimately works for the game, and that's going to be a subjective thing.
- According to the overview video, no custom die for the titan damage. :(
- Pretty expensive, at least for Canada.  $75 is kind of steep, and I'm not even sure if that's CAD or USD. 
- AFAIK, no unique player powers at the start.  With the mythological theme, I feel like this is certainly doable.

All that said... I'm backing it.  It looks really good. 

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 08:04:27 am »

I can't wait until I can shamelessly advertise myself here!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

Is there something coming up soon?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:38 pm »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:33:48 pm »
+2

A final pro for this game is that, according to a playtester, it can weigh in at just over an hour for 4 players.  That sounds fantastic.

Man, when I first skimmed that I thought it said "Just over 4 hours per player.  That sounds fantastic."  And I was going ask what was wrong with you.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:31 pm »

https://greaterthangames.com/content/a-most-august-announcement

Ahh, I remember you posting about this.  Is the KS imminent?

Man, when I first skimmed that I thought it said "Just over 4 hours per player.  That sounds fantastic."  And I was going ask what was wrong with you.

Inception Risk is also a brilliant concept.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:29 pm »

I don't think so.  I think most of the big games are still coming out through the established names, like RGG, Asmodee, Days of Wonder, etc.

Speaking of Kickstarter though, I received Among the Stars a couple months ago and finally got a chance to play it recently.  It's good!  Haven't tried the expansion yet.  I think the part I like least is how much card sorting will be required in the setup stage if I mix the basic cards of the expansion and the original game.  You're not supposed to use all the cards at once, but for balance reasons it's recommended that you have 3 copies of any specific card you include.  Some cards are broken when there's only one of them, whether it's the Council Room (which is worth a lot more points if nobody else builds one) or the Turret (which is worth very few points unless you build multiples of them).

After looking at Lagoon a bit more, I don't think I'll be buying in.  It really does look spectacular, but the game mechanics are a bit dry to me.  The game seems very puzzle-y as well.  In fact, they mention a solitaire mode and the Updates section even has a bunch of puzzles ("with this setup, accomplish this goal within this many moves" kind of deal).  That's pretty cool but I think it's more of a brain-burner than I'm looking for.

A game designed with a solitaire mode?  Sounds awesome.  Some of us don't have nerdy friends in proximity :P

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:37 pm »
+2

https://greaterthangames.com/content/a-most-august-announcement

Ahh, I remember you posting about this.  Is the KS imminent?

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. Especially not confirm them.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »

There are too many games on kickstarter that I want! Queen seem to have a tonne of DXV's especially! I decided against the Kingdom Builder big box as I haven't played it, decided that Heroes Wanted sounded fantastic but don't even remember what the but was not, but I think Greed sounds fun...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 07:39:32 pm »

Here is a kickstarter for a game called "Let Them Eat Shrimp".  It's by the same guy who designed Biblios, and I'm noting it because Biblios is a very well-reviewed filler game which you can select for one of the reward tiers.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 06:06:57 pm »
+2

Twistedarcher and I just tried out Paperback, and did not enjoy it at all.  We actually stopped playing a few minutes into it.

The main mechanic was just very frustrating to use.  Each turn, you have a specific number of letters to use, and the best play is ALWAYS to make the longest word possible using those words.  If you don't make the longest word possible, you've messed up (at least with all the cards we saw).  This leads to frustrating situations.. if I have 7 letters, and only manage to make a 6 letter word, I just feel horrible about it.  I've clearly messed up.

The choices were to either spend a lot of time until I figure out the correct word to make, or give up and play a suboptimal word.. we just were very dissatisfied with the mechanic.  Either you got it right or you felt awful.  There may be strategic choices later in the game, but early on it was a simple question of, "Did you get it?  No?... well, you're behind now." 

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »
+1

To expand on what Nkirbit said:

The idea of the game is good in theory -- it combines two ideas I like -- deckbuilding and word games. However, in execution, the game didn't capture me.

The first couple of turns are frustrating -- you start with 5 consonants (RSTLN), and 5 wild cards, drawing 5 cards a turn. Basically, as Nkirbit says, the first couple turns turn into spending a lot of time trying to come up with the maximum length word, or feeling really frustrated that you couldn't get there, because it's going to be possible 100% of the time if you think long enough about it.

The opening buys aren't that satisfying, either. Most of the cards have additional actions (+2 cards on the next turn, your opponent's wilds are worth $1 less next turn, etc. etc.), but there's no feeling of building an engine. They seem more like nice add-ons that you're always happy to draw, but nothing to build a strategy around. And ultimately, given the randomness of the words, it didn't feel like to me that there would be a difference in buying an "G" vs a "B", or an "ER" vs and "SE", or anything like that. It just seemed very random.

We didn't finish the game, as we were too frustrated by the mechanic. There may very well be some strategic value in when to buy VP cards vs. letter cards, and how long to spend buying letter cards that give lots of money vs. how soon to buy VP cards. I'd like to see the end of the game if the first 5 turns weren't so frustrating. The turns just take too long for a quick deckbuilder game, and the payoff of getting a good word isn't worth the frustration of not being able to use your entire hand.

On a different note....eHalc, I know you're a fan of Among the Stars. It's a game I was considering buying when it was on KS, and I'm a huge 7 wonders fan. Would you say the game is worth having in a collection in addition to 7 wonders (which I already don't get to play as much as I want to). If they are pretty interchangeable, I don't think I'll get it, but if they are different enough I would look into getting it. How different do the games feel from one another?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 09:14:02 pm »

Interesting thoughts on Paperback.  I wonder if it makes a difference that (being on this forum) you approach it from a very Dominion-oriented background?  Thinking about Paperback (with the caveat that I am not fully brushed up on its specific mechanisms), I imagine that it has a bit of a conflict in its nature.  If I'm going to play a word game like Scrabble, it's more about testing my word-mettle against my opponents than testing my strategic ability.  If I'm going to play a board/card game like Dominion, it's about whether I can make better strategic and tactical choices, with an element of luck and risk assessment thrown in.  Perhaps those two goals don't mix together so well.  With Scrabble, at least you know you're going to be in for a lot of time sitting there, staring at letters and trying to tease out the best words (unless you are crazy good).  In a deck-building game, you just want to get on with it... and yet you are compelled to try to get the optimal solution.

It might be more enjoyable as a casual game rather than a competitive one.  Throw in a time limit, maybe?  Or maybe it would play better if you think of it more like Scrabble than Dominion?  I mean, do you find Scrabble to be a frustrating game?  Sometimes I do, but if I'm in the mood for Scrabble then that frustration is part of the experience I am seeking. :P

At the least, the game might be good as an educational game to play with your kids (if you have any).

On a different note....eHalc, I know you're a fan of Among the Stars. It's a game I was considering buying when it was on KS, and I'm a huge 7 wonders fan. Would you say the game is worth having in a collection in addition to 7 wonders (which I already don't get to play as much as I want to). If they are pretty interchangeable, I don't think I'll get it, but if they are different enough I would look into getting it. How different do the games feel from one another?

I don't know if I can really call myself a fan yet, since I've only gotten two plays of it.  The experience is definitely different than 7 Wonders though.  As far as feel goes, there are two primary differences.  The first is the most obvious -- AtS has that whole spatial element.  It gives you something else to think about.  Trying to figure out the best way to build your station is an interesting mini-game of its own.

The second thing is pacing.  7W builds up from age to age.  Age I is about setting up and Age III is about scoring massive points, with Age II a bit of a transition (mostly still set up though).  AtS doesn't have that at all.  All the cards are mixed into one deck and there's no economic base that you have to fashion.  Pretty much every card gives you points, and many of them are granted immediately, moving you along a score track.  AtS is like a race where you are constantly jockeying for position.  You can tell if someone is taking the lead, or if scores are very close, which can add to the tension.  On the flip side, 7W has more of a narrative, with the climax of the empire you built up in the first two ages finally producing all your big VP dividends.  So both games feel very different in that regard, and I think there's a place for both in a games library.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:51 pm »

Yeah, I think our deck-building experience definitely colored our experience. Two of my favorite things about Dominion are how quick it is and the choices you have to make. The turns in paperback are definitely slower, and that was frustrating.

The difficult choices were in actually creating a word as long as possible, and less so in which letters to buy at the end of the turn. So it's definitely very Scrabblesque in the sense that the turns are puzzling your best option on which word to play -- and there are certain interesting elements, such as getting bonuses for using more wilds, and I'm sure several others that we didn't get a chance to see. I'm definitely a scrabble fan (although I rarely play it), and that part of the game could be okay, although I think I'd rather just play Scrabble than Paperback.

I think that the most frustrating part was the abundance of wilds overall. The tiles you have in Scrabble really limits your options -- while there's potentially many places on the board to go, you are fairly limited by your tiles, and they really guide your choices (apart from the 2-3 letter short words, which adds a whole new dynamic that isn't present in Paperback. Longer is always better in Paperback, I believe.) In this game, you can be sitting there with 7 letters to build from, 4 of which are wild, and rather than this being liberating, it was extremely overwhelming to me. It gave me the sense that "I have four wilds, of course I can build a seven letter word!", but being unable to find that word quickly was frustrating, both for me and for my opponent. A time limit is definitely an option, although it's not going to make me feel any better when I'm unable to use all my letters. I imagine this gets better later in the game as more and more letters are added, and the wilds are less frequent. (However, the VP cards count as wilds, although they don't add any money for buys that turn). I definitely do want to play it again, and hopefully get through the entire thing.

I think the game attempted to combine the best parts of a deckbuilder like Dominion and a word game like Scrabble. Unfortunately, the parts don't combine that well. A lot of the appeal from Dominion, to me, comes from not just playing your deck, but choosing what to put into your deck, and it's just not interesting in Paperback, unfortunately.

EDIT: Looking around, it's getting mostly positive reviews from what I can see. So maybe it's just not my cup of tea. I think if you're looking to Dominion as your point of comparison, you won't be that impressed -- if you're looking to compare it to Scrabble, it can do well. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:03:59 pm by Twistedarcher »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:43 am »

There is a kickstarter up for a game called Pay Dirt.  I don't know much about it but it is described as a worker placement engine building game, so Dominion fans might be find it interesting.  It's by the guys who did Alien Frontiers, which is fairly popular.  Might be worth a look.

Edit: Catacombs also looks really nice.  It's an update on the original base game but with a very different art direction than the original.  I like the new look a lot.  My reservations -- it's expensive for me, especially with shipping, and I don't know if I need or want a dexterity game in my collection.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:14:17 pm by eHalcyon »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »
+3

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 07:35:47 pm »

What's the f.ds coupon code? ;)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 07:37:46 pm »
+2

I bought Fallen City of Karaz off kickstarter...badly burned.

Such a lot of potential, great graphics amd idea...let down by terrible gameplay and useless rulebook.

It really made me doubt all the 'reviewers', who do the reviews in return for a free game. You could tell within minutes where all the probels were.

Plus the creator hasnt sent all the rewards (target date nov 2012!), despite launching 3 other kick starters since.
And now he is blaming the model company for it all.

I may repurpose the board and minitures to make my own game
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:13 pm »

Funding in 7 hours is good, right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactics-the-flame-of-freedom

Argh,$50 shipping costs, gutted. (Not the creators fault though i know)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »

I bought Fallen City of Karaz off kickstarter...badly burned.

Such a lot of potential, great graphics amd idea...let down by terrible gameplay and useless rulebook.

It really made me doubt all the 'reviewers', who do the reviews in return for a free game. You could tell within minutes where all the probels were.

Plus the creator hasnt sent all the rewards (target date nov 2012!), despite launching 3 other kick starters since.
And now he is blaming the model company for it all.

I may repurpose the board and minitures to make my own game

That's a good reminder that KS is always a risk.  Good to check up on the creators to make sure they've delivered on campaigns before, or have the help of a trusted publisher.

Edit: As for the gameplay problem... I suppose I'll have to stick with those who have a proven track record.  The first thing I'd backed was Among the Stars expansion and they already had the base game and several other games under their belts, well-reviewed and all.  The second thing I'm backing is The Ancient World, and the guy has proven himself with multiple KS campaigns for a bunch of quality games.  There were a couple of others I was looking at that I'll have to reconsider though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:48:25 pm by eHalcyon »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:04 am »
+1

There is a kickstarter up for a game called Pay Dirt.  I don't know much about it but it is described as a worker placement engine building game, so Dominion fans might be find it interesting.  It's by the guys who did Alien Frontiers, which is fairly popular.  Might be worth a look.

Just watched rahdo's run-through of Pay Dirt.  I don't particularly see why they've called it an "engine building" game.  Maybe with a really loose definition.  rahdo suggests that the engine is already built in the form of the dirt-moving playerboard, and the game is more like engine optimization.  That may be true, but it's pretty different from the engine building we think of in Dominion.

I'm also not sure it qualifies as a worker placement game, because it seems like there isn't any actual blocking -- something I think is integral to the worker placement genre.  The BGG mechanic page for worker placement states outright that "there is a limit on the number of times a single action may be drafted each round".  As far as I can tell, there is no limit in Pay Dirt.  The rules even say that players can do all the worker placement simultaneously.  It suggests the possibility of conflict (in which case you resolve in turn order), but I don't see how that can happen.  Maybe it's referring to resolving the purchasing of gear, but that only comes after the placement phase.  So this seems less a worker placement game than an action point allowance system, where there is a mechanic for gaining more action points.

This looks more like an economic game with a bit of action optimization than worker placement or engine building.  The auction phase could be fairly interesting, and the economics look like they might add a fair bit of tension.  You win by having the most gold nuggets, but you also want to sell your nuggets to get more money.  Moreover, having the most nuggets during the game is actually bad because whoever is in the lead will probably get saddled with the worst Hardship.  Along with the specific equipment, the gear and the personnel, you have room to optimize in when you buy new equipment or gear.  As these things get used, they build up "wear".  You can set a worker to removing two wear cubes from a piece of equipment, but you could also buy new equipment/gear outright and not worry about the wear.  You probably want to try to get the most out of your workers (never removing just 1 cube, never selling just one nugget with a worker because each worker can sell up to 2 at a time) but maybe sometimes it'll be worth it to be inefficent (or to keep the nugget for points when the game is close to ending).

Anyway, the game looks interesting, but anyone thinking of backing it should probably look over it carefully.  I'm definitely leery of that "worker placement" description.  As far as I can tell, the tension is in the auction and economic decisions, not in the action selection.

Edit: I just realized that there are only two "actions" that are shared by all players (selling gold and lining up to purchase gear).  All the rest are personal actions on the player board (using equipment and repairing gear/equipment).  That makes it even less of a worker placement game in my mind.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:46:57 am by eHalcyon »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 11:57:27 am »

i'm posting and watching, yay.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »

The KS for The Ancient World ends in 3 hours.  We are so, so close to the $50K stretch goal for custom dice.  If anybody is on the fence, now is the time to hop in. ;)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »

The KS for The Ancient World ends in 3 hours.  We are so, so close to the $50K stretch goal for custom dice.  If anybody is on the fence, now is the time to hop in. ;)

I like the look of it, but after getting burned last time I'm not keen on first time devs as there's no. Guarantee the game has been tested properly

Looks nice though

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 05:52:46 pm »

I like the look of it, but after getting burned last time I'm not keen on first time devs as there's no. Guarantee the game has been tested properly

Looks nice though

If it helps change your mind, this guy is not a first time dev.  He's done several games, all (I think) on Kickstarter, and they've all been well reviewed.  His most successful game is the lightweight 8 Minute Empire (and a sequel, 8ME: Legends), but he's also had some heavier games -- City of Iron (and expansion) and Empires of the Void.

As for playtesting, there are two very long threads on BGG filled with playtesting notes, and you can see how the game has evolved.  I'm satisfied that it will be a well balanced game and I have a lot of confidence in this developer.

I even think he has a good reason for using Kickstarter.  As far as I can tell, he is designer, publisher and artist for his games.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:49 pm »

Hmm that is tempting then.

I was just saying to myself the other day I need a new worker placement game...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 06:02:29 pm »
+1

The tough thing for you is that the shipping might be pretty bad for you... not sure if they even ship to Tuvalu.

Edit: campaign ended just 1K short of the custom dice stretch goal, but Good Guy Ryan is throwing them anyway because we were so close, hurrah!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:29:13 pm by eHalcyon »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 02:40:19 pm »
+1

Hey, I'm on a YouTube! Talking about Sentinel Tactics. I'm the one with the choppy cell phone video.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 03:15:48 pm »

The tough thing for you is that the shipping might be pretty bad for you... not sure if they even ship to Tuvalu.

Edit: campaign ended just 1K short of the custom dice stretch goal, but Good Guy Ryan is throwing them anyway because we were so close, hurrah!

Yeah shipping normally makes things more expensive than just waiting normally.
I save about £10 but lose some exclusive promos by waiting till it hits amazon.

Also, I left Tuvalu years ago aboard a cruise ship, keep up!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:45 pm »

There's a new kickstarter up for Among the Stars (reprint), if anybody is interested.  Includes pledge levels for the base game, the expansion and previously released promos.  I'm in for $10 to see what new stretch goal stuff comes out.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:36 am »
+1

Super last minute shameless plug for Sentinel Tactics - like 2 hours to go last minute. ._.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactics-the-flame-of-freedom?ref=banner

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2014, 03:25:57 am »

Super last minute shameless plug for Sentinel Tactics - like 2 hours to go last minute. ._.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactics-the-flame-of-freedom?ref=banner

Congrats on a super successful campaign!

Here's a reminder to people that the campaign for Among the Stars reprint is ending in 3 days.

In other news, there's a new, neat looking game up from Cool Minis Or Not: Dogs of War.  I'm a new fan of the designer, Paolo Mori, mostly because of Libertalia.  The gameplay looks very interesting.  Summary, from what I gleaned from the gameplay video:

- There are 6 Noble Houses that are constantly fighting amongst themselves; you play Mercenaries that ally with the houses to gain influence.
- At the start of each round, the 6 houses are randomly set up in 3 one-on-one battles.  Each battle also gets a random bonus and a random mat with what are essentially worker placement spaces.
- There is a mustering phase, where you pay money to get soldiers and other warfaring units (as cards).
- Then you actually go about placing your captains (read: workers) with the Noble Houses you want to support.  The space you choose will grant you some bonuses (more units, money, influence over that Noble House, maybe some other things).  You will also be playing out those cards you mustered to move the battle in that House's favour.  If other players join up with the opposing House, they may pit their own forces against you.  It's described as a kind of tug-of-war. 
- When that is all done, the winner of each battle is determined.  For each battle, whichever player helped out the winning House the most gets a bonus and the winning House moves up on a track, which makes them worth more points for the influence you have in that House.
- Repeat this for some number of rounds.

I'm sitting this one out though, because I'm about to order some other games.  I'm also wondering if it may feel a bit repetitive over time.  But it does have some interesting player interaction, and it looks like it plays lightning fast.

Oh, also, Level 99 Games announced that in 2 weeks they'll be launching the kickstarter for the second edition of BattleCON: War of Indines.  BattleCON is basically a fighting game simulator.  War was the original game with 18 distinct playable characters.  Devastation of Indines was a stand-alone expansion with 30 characters.  The upcoming edition includes balance updates and art updates to bring War in line with Devastation.

taly

• Pawn
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
    • custom cards against humanity
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2014, 05:35:03 am »

kickstarter give a great "push" for alot of great games and ideas but lately people use it for greed :/

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2014, 06:47:41 am »
+1

My copy of Greed came earlier this week together with basic Kingdom Builder- which I played and enjoyed. Haven't cracked open Greed yet :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »
+1

Lots of good looking games currently on KS.  Most of them have steep international shipping though.

Progress: Evolution of Technology is a civ-building game which is entirely focused on advancing the tech tree.  rahdo has a run through of it, if you are interested.  I'm backing this one because the shipping is OK.

Penny Press is a newspaper-themed euro game that looks absolutely delightful.  Send reporters to cover stories, then go to print at the right time to get the scoop on your opponents.  The graphic design looks superb -- even the box looks like a stack of newspapers.

Shadow Throne is an inexpensive card drafting game that looks pretty neat.

ESSEN: the Game is a pick-up and deliver game where you play visitors at Essen trying to buy the best games.  Yeah, kind of meta.  It's worth noting that the KS says they won't be distributing to retailers (other than those who themselves pledge through the KS campaign), though it'll be available at Essen itself.  One funny mechanic is that you get slowed down by all the games you carry, so you'll have to go back to your car to drop off your purchases.  Hilarious.

Ophir, another pick-up and deliver game.  I don't know much else about it, but the art is really pretty.  The link here is for the preview page as the project is not live yet.  I think the link should stay the same when it goes live (any time now, from what I hear).

BattleCON: War Remastered, which I mentioned elsewhere.  It's basically a fighting video game in board game format.

Bedtime Heroes appeals to me a little, mostly from the theme.  The artwork is OK and the gameplay looks decent, for a game that is more geared towards kids.  From the looks of it though, it's not going to fund.

Rasmon

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:06 am »

In case anyone is following this thread, I posted something about the Galaxy Defenders kick starter here: http://boardgamestrategy.net/forum/index.php?topic=11310.0

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »

My copy of Equinox should be arriving at home today! Sadly, I won't be at home to receive my first kickstarted game, but hopefully I can let you guys know how it is this weekend or in the next few weeks!

Katie

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:24 am »

I think even the big guys are launching on KS to test the market for the game before big production.  I think Common man games did it with police precinct (great game) and Jesters Hand is launching the whole company with the Kickstarter of Siege of Verdan. Most publishers plan on losing money on the first launch to get market penetration. :-*

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »
+2

Just an update for those interested: Sentinel Tactics is out four months ahead of schedule, and all the Kickstarter copies are in the mail, so we'll have copies for sale at GenCon.

Also I'll be running demos in the Greater Than Games booth most of the con, so come by if you get a chance!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

Two projects that I am currently backing:

Eight-Minute Empires: Lost Lands, which is an expansion to 8ME: Legends, which was the sequel to the original 8ME.  8ME is a quick, compact area control game.  Legends is widely acknowledged to be an all around improvement over the original, and it has recently been reprinted.  Lost Lands adds components for 2 more players, a variant that uses card drafting, a bunch more cards and a new board.  At the current rate, all listed stretch goals will likely be unlocked (it remains to be seen if more will be added).  Ryan Laukat, the designer, illustrator and publisher, has a proven track record with Kickstarter so I feel good about backing his work.

Pack O Game is a project with 4+ micro games.  Each game is composed of 30 cards of size 2" x 1".  Of the 4 games, I am highly interested in one, moderately interested in two others, and not interested in the fourth.  More games may be unlocked if stretch goals are reached (the project is on the verge of funding), and there are two others that I am very interested in among those.  This is the first KS project by the designer, but he seems to have good credentials in the industry.  I probably won't love any of the games, but I am still fascinated by micro game design.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2014, 12:08:16 pm »

Compounded is an excellent resource-management game based (very, very loosely) on chemistry.  Perfect for scientists.  This KS is for their expansion, but you can get the original as well as the expansion.

(I have no stake in this KS other than wanting to see more stretch goals.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2014, 12:43:33 pm »

Have you played Compounded?  I saw it around, but I'm not sure if it's a game for me.  Any suggestions on how I can find that out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »

Have you played Compounded?  I saw it around, but I'm not sure if it's a game for me.  Any suggestions on how I can find that out?

It's hard to tell, I suspect, without playing it or at least reading the rules.  Basic flow is that you collect elements randomly, build compounds to score points and expand your lab.  There's a bunch of other craziness with fires and safety goggles.  Elements are traceable during a phase so there's a fair amount of trading among those who got stuff they didn't want.

If you're a science person you'll likely enjoy it for the humor.  I'd call it 7 strategy, 3 luck, 6 interaction, out of 10.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2014, 12:58:17 pm »

Just an update for those interested: Sentinel Tactics is out four months ahead of schedule, and all the Kickstarter copies are in the mail, so we'll have copies for sale at GenCon.

Also I'll be running demos in the Greater Than Games booth most of the con, so come by if you get a chance!

rrenaud just got his copy.  Looking forward to playing it!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

So I just downloaded Star Realms for my phone (Android, I don't think we have a mobile games thread anywhere.  Also I'm too lazy to look and I think this game was kickstarted anyways)  and I ahve been having a lot of fun with it.  I haven't dived in and purchased the full game yet, but what I have played is a lot of fun.  It plays very similarly to ascension, which I didn't like very much and I know a lot of other people here don't like very much.  But I think this game works better than ascension.  I'm not sure what makes it work better, but I think it's that instead of having 2 paths to get points (sorry if that's wrong, I haven't touched ascension in ages) but there's only one way to win: Kill the other player. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »

So I just downloaded Star Realms for my phone (Android, I don't think we have a mobile games thread anywhere.  Also I'm too lazy to look and I think this game was kickstarted anyways)  and I ahve been having a lot of fun with it.  I haven't dived in and purchased the full game yet, but what I have played is a lot of fun.  It plays very similarly to ascension, which I didn't like very much and I know a lot of other people here don't like very much.  But I think this game works better than ascension.  I'm not sure what makes it work better, but I think it's that instead of having 2 paths to get points (sorry if that's wrong, I haven't touched ascension in ages) but there's only one way to win: Kill the other player. 

I've also been enjoying Star Realms, and both the paper and digital versions were indeed kickstarted.  I also haven't gone in for the full version yet... perhaps soon.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »

I downloaded the app but haven't actually played it yet.

For the physical version, if I understand it properly, a single set supports 2 players but you can combine 3 sets to support up to 6.  No idea if it works well with so many players though.

BGG store has (had?) a bunch of promo sets for Star Realms.  Well, at least two.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:23 pm »

For the physical version, if I understand it properly, a single set supports 2 players but you can combine 3 sets to support up to 6.  No idea if it works well with so many players though.

BGG store has (had?) a bunch of promo sets for Star Realms.  Well, at least two.

I don't see how it could possibly work with more than two players, given that you're directly attacking the other players.  Much like Magic only works properly with two.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 05:31:36 pm »

I don't see how it could possibly work with more than two players, given that you're directly attacking the other players.  Much like Magic only works properly with two.

I was reading about this game just before the app was released, and apparently there are team variants that work really well. I have the app and it's a lot of fun; I thought my Dominion skill would transfer and it really doesn't so much.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2014, 05:49:55 pm »

Dominion skill only transfers to Star Realms ans Ascension to a certain extent; in both cases, the tableau of cards available to the players is not equal, and changes throughout the game.  Both games are more tactical and less strategic than Dominion.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:52 am »

I backed Equinox on Kickstarter -- my IRL friend actually knew the designer and had a copy of an earlier version of the game to playtest. I've played that one many times and the new one from Kickstarter once. A lot has changed, but my impressions of Equinox are like this:

The game feels a little bit like chess, where your move this time is based a lot on your opponent's potential reactions to that move. That is a little bit less so in the current version because you're playing two tiles on your turn instead of just one, but a lot of time you're just playing a tile so your opponent can't do it. If you aren't looking a couple of moves ahead you're just going to get blown out, since there's a lot of subtle planning you can take advantage of.

You can treat Equinox like a light game and just do stuff and see what happens, but it's actually really heavy if you want to try and win, your moves should be very much thought out and planned carefully.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:07 am »

I backed Equinox on Kickstarter -- my IRL friend actually knew the designer and had a copy of an earlier version of the game to playtest. I've played that one many times and the new one from Kickstarter once. A lot has changed, but my impressions of Equinox are like this:

The game feels a little bit like chess, where your move this time is based a lot on your opponent's potential reactions to that move. That is a little bit less so in the current version because you're playing two tiles on your turn instead of just one, but a lot of time you're just playing a tile so your opponent can't do it. If you aren't looking a couple of moves ahead you're just going to get blown out, since there's a lot of subtle planning you can take advantage of.

You can treat Equinox like a light game and just do stuff and see what happens, but it's actually really heavy if you want to try and win, your moves should be very much thought out and planned carefully.

That's what I found too.  I have only played it 3 or 4 times, but I see a lot there that I'm missing.  I really like it, but it can seem a little overwhelming once a lot of tiles are placed. 

Question:  When you play wind, do you put point tokens on all the new tiles?  Because that's how I've been playing.  Also, do all the tiles get point tokens for turn 1? (So player 2 gets a point)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:43 am »

With wind, all tiles get points on them. At the start of the game, none of them do -- the person who goes second gets to decide which color they want to be after seeing the opening tiles and that's the balancing factor (at least that's the way it was in the prototype)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:48 am »

Interesting.  The rules that shipped with mine just say the first person plays 1 tile, and the second plays 2.  I've chosen color first.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:29 am »

Interesting.  The rules that shipped with mine just say the first person plays 1 tile, and the second plays 2.  I've chosen color first.

this is probably right

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2014, 01:12:02 pm »

More self promotion. Have I no shame?!?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/dragon-tides

Answer: I in fact do have no shame.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »

Hey all,

I'm momentarily coming out of my lurker status again to highlight the kickstarter for the One Night Ultimate Werewolf expansion: Daybreak.  Although the game had tremendous support right out of the gate and immediately reached its goal and then some, it's lost a little steam and I'm worried that it won't reach its final stretch goal. But I want that final role, so I thought I'd post about it here  ;D If someone else has already mentioned it somewhere, sorry, I didn't see it.

Anyway, ONUW is an absolute blast. Unlike most social deduction games, you're not always sure who you are at the end, so it means you need to figure out your own role as well as everyone else's. It also means everyone (even the lowly villagers) should be willing to lie like crazy.   :D

Daybreak is adding a ton of interesting new roles to the game that will increase strategic possibilities, mess with the metagame, and encourage lying in all new ways!

On the kickstarter you also get additional characters that won't be in the retail version. So, I highly recommend checking it out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:56 pm »

You don't really have anything to worry about.  kicktraq is projecting $140K, and most campaigns move slower in the middle.  They typically fund the most on the first couple days and in the last two days.  The latter is because reminder emails are sent out at 48 hours for those who have starred the project.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:14 am »

Paranoia is back!  Not technically a board game, obviously.  Still a classic though.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2014, 11:22:12 am »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:40 am »

Lots of kickstarter games on my radar right now.  Only backing one right now, very highly considering backing another, and the others I'll be watching out for in retail.

Artifacts, Inc. is a new game by Ryan Laukat.  He's my favourite game artist and he has a good track record with kickstarter games, both for reliability and for quality of game.  I think he's most famous for the Eight Minute Empire series of games.  I'm highly looking forward to The Ancient World, which should be arriving in a month or two.  For those who cares about such things, Laukat runs a small independent publishing company with his wife, Red Raven Games, so he legitimately needs kickstarter to help fund his work.

Artifacts, Inc. looks to be a light-ish dice placement game.  You send your intrepid adventurers out on expeditions to find artifacts, and you sell them to museums to grow your own assets and increase your reputation.  The theme appeals to me, and the art brings the theme through very well. 

This is the game I am backing.  For those in the US, the kickstarter price looks very competitive with what can be expected in retail.  It's a bit higher for me in Canada, but I'm willing to put in the extra money here to support the designer (and maybe get an exclusive box cover...).  Check this one out!

Steampunk Rally is a racing game where you draft cards to build and power a steampunk contraption.  It had a relatively high goal but it has easily blown past it and cracked open a treasure trove of stretch goals.   With the addition of 40 metal cogs for free, it looks to be great value.  The rahdo runs through video makes it look like a nice little game, though perhaps a little light on player interaction.

This is the game I am probably going to back.  The value does look really good, and the designers are from Alberta, where I live.  My main hesitation is that it is fairly expensive, and I know very little about the creators.  The campaign looks good though, so maybe this will be the first project I back from an actual first time creator.  (I backed Progress a while ago, which was a first-time KS, but the creators behind that had completed another project on IndieGoGo.)

Roots is a party game which reminds me a little of Apples to Apples.  You use prefix and suffix cards to form word trees and attempt to build words that fit given categories or subjects.  I think the idea is neat.  My main concern is that the game has public submissions, unlike Apples to Apples or Dixit.  That means that if one player is close to winning, players may be disinclined to award them even if they had the best entry.

Snake Oil is another party game with public entries, this one from the actual publishers of Apples to Apples.  The KS is for a second stand-alone expansion, though you can get the other two games as well for one mega pack.  In this game, one player takes on the role of customer and is given a character.  the other players combine words in their hand to make products, which they will then pitch to the customer.  As far as party games go, this sounds like it can spark a lot of creativity and laughter.

Stockpile is ending soon and I'm not sure if it's going to make it.  It's close though!  This is a game about insider trading on the stock market.  The theme is not interesting to me, but the central mechanism of the game sounds really neat.

Each player receives some insider information about how the market is going to change at the end of the round.  With this knowledge in hand, players will create stockpiles with face-up and face-down cards and then bid on those stockpiles, trying to get the best stocks with the right timing.

Desert Island is essentially a revamped version of the classic game, Lifeboat.  The designer has taken years of play and feedback to improve that game, and Desert Island is the result.  The theme is fun and the character-driven gameplay looks delightful.

New Bedford is a worker placement game by Dice Hate Me Games, most famous (I think) for Compounded and Viva Java.  I'm hearing a lot of positive comparisons to Le Havre, which is a game I've wanted to try for a while now.  That said, I'm not really looking for another Worker Placement at this point.

Finally, I've also got an eye on Spell Saga, though I actually haven't looked too closely at it.  It is one-player story telling game.  From what I can tell, it's sort of like a choose-your-own-adventure book in board game form, probably with some gaming tropes like stats and inventory.  It looks rather charming and I like the idea.  That said, I'm almost certainly not going to back it.  $20 shipping to Canada is too much for me.  Moreover, if I'm going to do solo gaming, I might as well play a video game or computer game, eh?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:52:44 am by eHalcyon »

Droege Boy Creations

• Pawn
    • View Profile
    • GUNSLINGER: LEGENDS OF THE DUSTY TRAIL
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »

Also, GUNSLINGER: LEGENDS OF THE DUSTY TRAIL is out on Kickstarter.  It's wild west themed with 7 different posse bosses and dozens of unique gunfighters.  It's at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2105924787/gunslinger-legends-of-the-dusty-trail

Just saying...

getdagnis

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2015, 08:06:03 am »

Hi Boardgame Strategy!

Over the last year and a bit I have designed a board game named Mission to Mars 2049 that is available on Indiegogo now.

Mission to Mars 2049 is a family board game that is set in the near future. Your objective in the game is to colonize Mars before anyone else does.

Frequently Asked Questions are available here

The campaign can be seen here

A perk that will get you a copy of the game is €29 + shipping.

For any questions please email me through this forum, I haven't yet left an email about the game unanswered. Thanks and hope you will enjoy it!

Veldriss

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
    • MedioEvo Universalis
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »

I do not know when, but the publisher Giochix will launch MedioEvo Universalis on giochistarter and kickstarter ... it will still take some time.

I open a discussion in this section: http://boardgamestrategy.net/forum/index.php?topic=12322.0

More information on:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MedioEvo-universalis/338731266147194
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org/
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119881/medioevo-universalis
http://www.giochix.it/

yes_or_no

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:14 pm »

In June 2015 Alter Publishing House will launch their board game Trenches of Hell on kickstarter. Defenitely worth trying.

Trenches of Hell is a game where you take the role of infantry battalion commanders on the Western Front in the First World War. You have three nations to choose from – the conservative British, the offense-inclined French, and the extremely effective Germans. Each nation has a different battalion structure, and thus a different set of tokens representing units and nation cards that you play in the game. Your task will be to get as many victory points as possible, which you receive from carrying out orders. This, in turn, determines which fields in the enemy’s system of trenches must be occupied only temporarily, or kept completely. The battle takes place on a board representing both players’ network of fortifications, separated by a narrow strip of No Man’s Land.

For more information click here --->  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170847/trenches-hell

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »
+1

We need to somehow make clear that this thread isn't intended for advertising, but for recommendations.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2015, 07:10:45 pm »
+1

I was just going to make a new thread in the future, if I were so inclined, and put that notice in the OP.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.