Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Kickstarter games  (Read 24474 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Kickstarter games
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:56:43 am »
+1

EDIT: Maybe this thread could be the thread to link to new kickstarter games.  I no longer check BGG so regularly, so it would be nice for there to be a place where I hear about new games.

So, Lagoon: Land of Druids.  It is currently up on Kickstarter.  I have not looked too much into it yet but I was wondering if others have any thoughts on it.  All I know is that it looks gorgeous and the theme grabs me.  It might actually be too deep in fantasy for my taste, but I'll figure that out later.  Have you guys seen anything about it?

And a broader question -- are there any hot new games?  I have not really kept up with board gaming news in the last several months.  I checked BGG to investigate promos for Among the Stars and ended up stumbling across Lagoon.  Anything neat that I may have missed out on hearing about?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:56:16 pm by eHalcyon »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Lagoon and other new games
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »

Nothing about new games to offer here, but just wanted to say that Lagoon does look absolutely gorgeous -- and I love the tile-laying theme. I've been playing quite a lot of Suburbia lately, and it's my favorite part of the game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:34:41 am »

Is kickstarter the main way games get created these days?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:42:20 am »

I don't think so.  I think most of the big games are still coming out through the established names, like RGG, Asmodee, Days of Wonder, etc.

Speaking of Kickstarter though, I received Among the Stars a couple months ago and finally got a chance to play it recently.  It's good!  Haven't tried the expansion yet.  I think the part I like least is how much card sorting will be required in the setup stage if I mix the basic cards of the expansion and the original game.  You're not supposed to use all the cards at once, but for balance reasons it's recommended that you have 3 copies of any specific card you include.  Some cards are broken when there's only one of them, whether it's the Council Room (which is worth a lot more points if nobody else builds one) or the Turret (which is worth very few points unless you build multiples of them).

After looking at Lagoon a bit more, I don't think I'll be buying in.  It really does look spectacular, but the game mechanics are a bit dry to me.  The game seems very puzzle-y as well.  In fact, they mention a solitaire mode and the Updates section even has a bunch of puzzles ("with this setup, accomplish this goal within this many moves" kind of deal).  That's pretty cool but I think it's more of a brain-burner than I'm looking for.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:52:43 am »

Y'know, Dominion has solitaire.  Some people make puzzles too..

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:02:04 am »

I know, I know. :P

The Lagoon puzzles are more like the chess puzzles that you see in newspapers (those exist, right?).  They are interesting, but a little dry to me.  If it sounds interesting to you, you should take a look and see if it's up your alley!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:01:58 am »

I know, I know. :P

The Lagoon puzzles are more like the chess puzzles that you see in newspapers (those exist, right?).  They are interesting, but a little dry to me.  If it sounds interesting to you, you should take a look and see if it's up your alley!

The core gameplay is not puzzles though.  Just because something can be turned into a puzzle doesn't mean it is more calculable than other games.  It depends how frequently puzzle-like scenarios come up in normal gameplay and how much of an edge being able to solve those will matter.  Most checkmates are routine, though a substantial minority are puzzle like, so it is somewhat of an indicator of how analytic chess is.  It's easy to make puzzles for a TCG like Hearthstone or Magic the Gathering as well, of any difficulty you like, but the odds of those appearing in a real game are almost zero, so it's not very indicative of how calculable those games are.  Then you have something like Tetris where a puzzle is very closely linked to how you would perform in a Tetris attack head-to-head.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:49 pm »
+1

Fair enough.

I think Lagoon game play would be fairly puzzle-like if you want to optimise your turns. In playing it, I think I would spend far too much time trying to figure out if I could do better. AP to the max.

Have you looked into Lagoon? What do you think of it?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »
+1

I just backed Lagoon! It'll be my first kickstarted game. Looks beautiful and fun and it's already gotten a bunch of stretch goals, making it a great deal.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »

I just backed Lagoon! It'll be my first kickstarted game. Looks beautiful and fun and it's already gotten a bunch of stretch goals, making it a great deal.

Awesome! 

The first (and so far only) thing I backed on KS was Among the Stars.  A friend advised me that, when backing on KS, you should consider it to be a donation rather than a purchase.  Some funded KS projects fail to deliver, so it's best not to expect it.  At the least, you should not expect for it to deliver on time.  AtS was slated for October but didn't actually get to me until late December/early January, in three separate shipments no less.  My friend said that it's more fun to think of them as donations and then forget you backed them in the first place, because then you get awesome gifts that arrive in the mail unexpectedly.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 01:55:25 pm »

@ehalc I think that's a really good way of looking at things. I know it's a while from being delivered, so I really might forget about it!

That being said.....

Lagoon is 34 hours from being fully funded and the last announced stretch goal is looking good! So I'm excited and would totally recommend anyone even sort of interested to check it out. We've gotten all kinds of wooden goodies included now!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:36 pm »

Wow, that does look cool.  And it comes in August, which is pretty quick turnaround for a kickstarter (i think?).. I remember waiting way longer for some of the others I've funded.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter games
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:31:57 pm »

Can we make this into a thread where people can post new kickstarter games?  I don't check BGG regularly so it would be nice to see this in a place I do check somewhat regularly.

There was a
big post on BGG
today though.  Lots of games on it; I haven't had time to look through it all.  One I notice right away is Equinox, a 2 player game.  I heard about it before (back when it was in beta, I think) and it seemed really interesting to me.  Unfortunately, it's US only.  Note that the campaign is extremely short -- it's ending in 2 days.

Not on that list (but on a previous list that I missed, maybe?) is The Ancient World.  I don't even remember how I ended up browsing to it (and I opened it in a new tab so I can't backtrack to find out).  I don't know anything about it yet except that, like Lagoon, the art is gorgeous.  The theme is also one that I really like, generic as it is.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:14 pm »

Yeah, I'm also interested in Equinox. I might support it, although I do not have many real-life board-game-playing opportunities.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:32:31 am »

Equinox does look pretty cool.  Kinda has an Innovation vibe to it.  Do you think it will have a larger run after the kickstarter?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:52 am »
+1

I just got Paperback in the mail today, which I kickstarted awhile ago. It's attempting to be a deck building word game, where you have a hand of letters and the more complex word you can spell, you get points to buy better letters / other rewards. I haven't played it yet, but I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 03:56:40 am »

I just got Paperback in the mail today, which I kickstarted awhile ago. It's attempting to be a deck building word game, where you have a hand of letters and the more complex word you can spell, you get points to buy better letters / other rewards. I haven't played it yet, but I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow.

I remember this.  It was interesting to me, but I passed on it in the end.  Let us know how it is!

Thoughts on The Ancient World (TAW) after watching the overview videos (but before reading the prototype rules)...

TAW is designed by the guy who designed Eight-Minute Empire, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, City of Iron and Empires of the Void.  All of them seem to have been done on Kickstarter by the designer/game company, so it's clear that he has the experience.  All of these previous games are well-reviewed on Dice Tower, with especially strong praise for City of Iron on both design and production values.  Incredibly, the artist is apparently the game designer himself.

Side notes on these other games: The Eight-Minute Empire games are mostly notable for being highly portable and quick while still being quite decent (15-30 minutes, so the name is a bit misleading ;) ).  Empires of the Void is a neat space combat game.  I hadn't heard about City of Iron before, but now I kind of wish I had when the kickstarter was going.  It looks like a great euro game, and the art there is also wonderful.  On the flip side, it shares some mechanics with TAW and I am liking the theme for TAW a bit more, so maybe it's not a bad thing that I missed it!

The theme here is much more interesting than I had first thought.  It looked like a general "ancient civilization" game, but that's not quite it.  It's a mythological world that is overrun by titans, and the player's goal is to unite tribes in the land and defeat titans.  I think that's pretty awesome.

The design look solid to me.  It is a relatively simple worker placement game, with complexity coming in the variety of cards that you can use.  There are some interesting mechanics.  One thing I find intriguing is the way that the armies work.  Army cards will provide the firepower you need to defeat titans, but you need to pay to activate armies, with the payment being left on the card.  The cost is $1 more than however much is on the card, i.e. $1 initially, then $2, then $4, then $8... it's just a tidy, elegant little trick. 

As the game progresses, you will recruit new armies and retire old ones (you have limited space for how many armies you can keep up).  A retired army will confer a legacy bonus to whatever army replaces it, as depicted by an icon on the back of the army card.  Usually that's more strength.  This is another neat mechanic that lets you grow more powerful as the game goes on.

The worker placement is pretty neat.  You start with 3 numbered workers.  You can go to an occupied space by placing a worker with a higher number.  Two exceptions to this rule are the spaces for recruiting new armies and for getting new empire cards (which offer a great variety of bonuses).  These spaces are always accessible, but you must pay $1 if you use a worker that is differently numbered than workers already there.  Together, this offers some interesting tactical decisions.  Do you use your high-numbered worker to block a space, or to make it less likely that you get blocked?  If you're the first to go get an empire or army card, which worker do you use to leave yourself the most options while also making others pay?

A final pro for this game is that, according to a playtester, it can weigh in at just over an hour for 4 players.  That sounds fantastic.

Some cons that I see:

- Although the setting is beautiful, the theme still seems somewhat pasted-on.  The titans are threatening the tribes, but they are passive as far as your own empire is concerned.  They won't attack you unless you attack them first.
- The damage they deal is random.  You'll only attack a titan if you have the requisite military power, at which point victory is assured.  But then you roll a die to determine how much damage you received during the battle.  If you're lucky you don't take damage at all.  If you're unlucky, the penalty can be pretty harsh.  It'll take actual play to see for sure, but I fear it could be fairly swingy.  Granted, this particular mechanic could be house-ruled to be less harsh.  On the flip side, the potential devastation IS thematic, and it means less skilled players have a chance.  I've got to play it before I can judge whether the tension and potential pain ultimately works for the game, and that's going to be a subjective thing.
- According to the overview video, no custom die for the titan damage. :(
- Pretty expensive, at least for Canada.  $75 is kind of steep, and I'm not even sure if that's CAD or USD. 
- AFAIK, no unique player powers at the start.  With the mythological theme, I feel like this is certainly doable.

All that said... I'm backing it.  It looks really good. 

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 08:04:27 am »

I can't wait until I can shamelessly advertise myself here!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

Is there something coming up soon?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:38 pm »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:33:48 pm »
+2

A final pro for this game is that, according to a playtester, it can weigh in at just over an hour for 4 players.  That sounds fantastic.

Man, when I first skimmed that I thought it said "Just over 4 hours per player.  That sounds fantastic."  And I was going ask what was wrong with you.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:31 pm »

https://greaterthangames.com/content/a-most-august-announcement

Ahh, I remember you posting about this.  Is the KS imminent?

Man, when I first skimmed that I thought it said "Just over 4 hours per player.  That sounds fantastic."  And I was going ask what was wrong with you.

Inception Risk is also a brilliant concept.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:29 pm »

I don't think so.  I think most of the big games are still coming out through the established names, like RGG, Asmodee, Days of Wonder, etc.

Speaking of Kickstarter though, I received Among the Stars a couple months ago and finally got a chance to play it recently.  It's good!  Haven't tried the expansion yet.  I think the part I like least is how much card sorting will be required in the setup stage if I mix the basic cards of the expansion and the original game.  You're not supposed to use all the cards at once, but for balance reasons it's recommended that you have 3 copies of any specific card you include.  Some cards are broken when there's only one of them, whether it's the Council Room (which is worth a lot more points if nobody else builds one) or the Turret (which is worth very few points unless you build multiples of them).

After looking at Lagoon a bit more, I don't think I'll be buying in.  It really does look spectacular, but the game mechanics are a bit dry to me.  The game seems very puzzle-y as well.  In fact, they mention a solitaire mode and the Updates section even has a bunch of puzzles ("with this setup, accomplish this goal within this many moves" kind of deal).  That's pretty cool but I think it's more of a brain-burner than I'm looking for.

A game designed with a solitaire mode?  Sounds awesome.  Some of us don't have nerdy friends in proximity :P

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:37 pm »
+2

https://greaterthangames.com/content/a-most-august-announcement

Ahh, I remember you posting about this.  Is the KS imminent?

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. Especially not confirm them.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »

There are too many games on kickstarter that I want! Queen seem to have a tonne of DXV's especially! I decided against the Kingdom Builder big box as I haven't played it, decided that Heroes Wanted sounded fantastic but don't even remember what the but was not, but I think Greed sounds fun...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.