Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Aggressive Noble Brigand Opening  (Read 1339 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Aggressive Noble Brigand Opening
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:03:30 am »

I just played this game, and would like some thoughts on it.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/23/game-20111123-224750-0476a4cf.html

This board was dominated by KC/Grand Market. So, I decide to open Oasis/Silver, buy Bazaars to add non-Copper sources of money while keeping action-density high, then get KC and Grand Market and go nuts.

DarkkeyBoard follows the same general strategy, except opens Noble Brigand/Silver, and proceeds to buy 4 (!) Noble Brigands over the course of the game. They give me a few extra coppers and eat away my Silver. He (or she) then buys a bunch of Bazaars as well, which give the actions to play Noble Brigand repeatedly over the course of the game to steal any Silvers and Golds I have. The net result of this is that the GM split is 3/7, and I only win because of 1st turn advantage + the only KC-KC of the game.

I think buying Noble Brigand early here was the right move. Everything lined up so perfectly. Noble Brigand feeds Copper while taking non-Copper treasure, which is exactly what you want to deny GM money. So, my question is, "On what boards is aggressive Noble Brigand good?"
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive Noble Brigand Opening
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:58:05 am »

I think in this game I wouldn't go heavy on noble brigands, just because of the presence of secret chamber.  Secret chamber is a great counter to noble brigand: you put a copper in your hand plus something crappy onto the top of your deck, and the attack helps you.  the secret chamber also helps you pick up grand markets.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive Noble Brigand Opening
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:39:46 am »

Secret chamber and counting house work against the brigand here. In the big scheme of things, expand probably works against it too. I'm guessing it is more suited to money decks where gold is key and the actions depend upon treasure to be useful.

Whilst it would be really strong against mints and moneylenders, I'm guessing that it is then too strong and opponents refuse to provide the opportunities. In that way it might suffer similarly to thief.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 22 queries.