Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Infinite throne room  (Read 26615 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite throne room
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 10:04:24 am »
+1

Technically, Dominion already has an "infinite" action that is defined (or agreed) to resolve, right?  You can continually reveal Trader to continually would-gain the top Silver.  But nothing changes after your first reveal, so we all decide the player should just stop revealing.  The same (or similar) holds of all reaction cards.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 11:24:25 am »

Technically, Dominion already has an "infinite" action that is defined (or agreed) to resolve, right?  You can continually reveal Trader to continually would-gain the top Silver.  But nothing changes after your first reveal, so we all decide the player should just stop revealing.  The same (or similar) holds of all reaction cards.

All reaction cards that don't discard themselves. So Moat, Trader and Watchtower only.

EDIT: And even then, Watchtower can't be revealed more than once if you trash the gained card.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:05 am »

All reaction cards that don't discard themselves. So Moat, Trader and Watchtower only.

Well, yes.  And Secret Chamber (if you choose not to put it on top of your deck.. or if you have more than one and cycle through them).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2014, 05:56:22 pm »

"Infinite VP" = You win (you might share the victory with another person with Infinite VP. It's countable infinity unless someone can prove there's another way)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:29 pm »

"Infinite VP" = You win (you might share the victory with another person with Infinite VP. It's countable infinity unless someone can prove there's another way)

(Also, player 2 might win on turn if they both have Infinite VP)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2014, 11:02:51 am »
+1

(Also, player 2 might win on turn if they both have Infinite VP)

Is not shared victory: the game does not end. The optimal strategy for player 2 once they both have infinite VP is to not end the game (which you can always do by not buying/gaining anything on your turn). Thus, player 1 can either lose buy ending the game or also refrain to do it, which is of course the optimal choice.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2014, 11:07:57 am »

well, mathematical theory states that there is an infinite number of finite numbers. thus, you have infinite different possibilities of how often you want to play your throne room, but you're never playing it for an infinite amount of times.

as for the vp thing, i imagine that to be pretty unexciting, because it's the same as "once this is played, when the game ends, the person who played this most recently wins." If i play infinite monument and make myself a million VP Tokens, my opponent can just make 2 millions next. If i make 10^(10^100) my opponent can just make 2*10^(10^100). it doesn't matter how high the number is, really, because the next guy can always just double it. whoever played it most recently wins.

if noone has gotten infinite tokens yet, it's actually better to play a market, then you win the game instantly

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:08 am »

that's not infinite throne room, that's a different card (unbounded throne room? arbitrarily large throne room?)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2014, 11:59:16 am »

If you were somehow able to play ITR on another ITR, and then play infinite Monuments, would that count as a higher "cardinality" or whatever of victory? Or is that still "countable"?

Also, if you play ITR-Pirate Ship and your opponent has infinite or renewable treasure cards, you could go for the -$1/12...
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 12:06:06 pm »

If you were somehow able to play ITR on another ITR, and then play infinite Monuments, would that count as a higher "cardinality" or whatever of victory? Or is that still "countable"?

No, it is still countable. As long as you have countably many Monuments, you won't be able to leave the countable world, independently on how many ITRs you have.

Also, if you play ITR-Pirate Ship and your opponent has infinite or renewable treasure cards, you could go for the -$1/12...

Oh, that fallacy again... it is hunting me...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.