Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Strategies in intrigue  (Read 24507 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Strategies in intrigue
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 04:12:35 pm »

Hinterlands probably combos with Intrigue better than any other set. They both have a bit of a "cares about Victory cards" theme.

Hinterlands is great, but really it's only Crossroads that combos with victory cards. Yeah there are 3 alt VP cards, but the cards don't combo with VP cards in general.
Silk Roads, Cartographer, Cache, Duchess, and all that shifting definitely combo with victory cards.

Yeah Silk road and Cache and Duchess... true true

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 07:19:01 pm »

Hinterlands is my favorite expansion, so you can't go wrong there.

A couple of my friends and I get a lot of mileage from randomizing only between Base, Intrigue, and Prosperity when playing 3 player games. That mix gives you a very nice variety of games without getting into too much craziness. Because you have Intrigue and a friend has Base, Prosperity would be a very good choice.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 10:27:52 pm »

A couple of my friends and I get a lot of mileage from randomizing only between Base, Intrigue, and Prosperity when playing 3 player games. That mix gives you a very nice variety of games without getting into too much craziness. Because you have Intrigue and a friend has Base, Prosperity would be a very good choice.

Also, Prosperity has a lot of engine cards and few BM (Big Money) cards.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 12:30:15 pm »

you know, that's true.  Hadn't occurred to me before now.  I mean, there's vault, which is great for BM.  And hoard is also good for BM; venture and royal seal are nice when you just wanted a silver anyway.  Besides that there are cards that work in a BM deck but hurt BM by there presence/are way better in an engine: Monty, Rabble, Goons, Monument.  Then there's GM, KC, Bishop, Forge, KC, WV, and did I mention King's Court?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 01:04:02 pm »
+1

you know, that's true.  Hadn't occurred to me before now.  I mean, there's vault, which is great for BM.  And hoard is also good for BM; venture and royal seal are nice when you just wanted a silver anyway.  Besides that there are cards that work in a BM deck but hurt BM by there presence/are way better in an engine: Monty, Rabble, Goons, Monument.  Then there's GM, KC, Bishop, Forge, KC, WV, and did I mention King's Court?

Don't forget one of the best engine cards out there - Colony. That many extra points and longer games favor engines quite heavily.

Bridge builder

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »

Seaside and/or Prosperity
Seaside and/or Hinterlands.

Seaside and/or Cornucopia

So Seaside wins.

Sorry for me posting for a while. i have been busy playing dominion. I did get seaside. the cards are absurdly powerful in that set! the only big money that has been played so far was me building treasure map/warehouse, but that wasn't the old boring big money.

nothing really to ask right now. back to hiding those bridges to the native village!

Edit: is there some combo that i might have missed? i've tried tactician/secret chamber and bridge/native village.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:27:51 pm by Bridge builder »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 03:35:22 pm »

Edit: is there some combo that i might have missed? i've tried tactician/secret chamber and bridge/native village.
If you have a source of +actions, you can play some Bridges and use Smugglers to gain a Province, but that rarely is worth building your deck around, more like just a cool trick that you can do if you're already going for Bridges and Smugglers is in the kingdom.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »

Seaside and/or Prosperity
Seaside and/or Hinterlands.

Seaside and/or Cornucopia

So Seaside wins.

Sorry for me posting for a while. i have been busy playing dominion. I did get seaside. the cards are absurdly powerful in that set! the only big money that has been played so far was me building treasure map/warehouse, but that wasn't the old boring big money.

nothing really to ask right now. back to hiding those bridges to the native village!

I won't suggest any specific combos, but you might want to read some of the articles on Ambassador.  It's much, much more powerful than it seems on the surface.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Bridge builder

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »

Yeah ambassador is probably the best 3-card out there. games with it are like playing tennis with coppers and estates.

I am getting bored to games being all engines. is there some other decktype in dominion than engine, combo or big money?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 04:16:02 pm »

Yeah ambassador is probably the best 3-card out there. games with it are like playing tennis with coppers and estates.

I am getting bored to games being all engines. is there some other decktype in dominion than engine, combo or big money?

There's slog. I think combo is plenty interesting, because the combos are always different. Try playing some all-Hinterlands games if you don't love engines.

EDIT: Oh, right, sorry. Forgot this was real-life games with the first three sets. Seaside does tend to push engines.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:18:31 pm by LastFootnote »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

There are also alternative VP rushes (gains some VP fast and ends the game on three piles being empty before the Province player has enough time to buy enough Provinces) and alternative VP slogs (which aim to play a long game and gain more VP than the Province player is able). Seaside doesn't really have any good alt-VP cards, but Intrigue has Duke which is pretty good for a slog strategy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:58 pm »
+1

WanderingWinder's Deck Type Articles on Slog and Rush. You might also want to check out the other ones.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6242.msg166176#msg166176

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6300.msg168101#msg168101

It shouldn't be boring to play engines though because you should be playing pretty different ones. Are you playing Seaside only? If you mix in Intrigue you get some good variety. Of course, more sets are better, but two is already pretty good.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »

Are you playing Seaside only?
He has tried Native Village/Bridge and Tactician/Secret Chamber so no.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »
+1

I think there are enough different kinds of engine out there than engine as a whole never gets boring.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.