Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition  (Read 111617 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:48:24 am »
+28

Two years passed since the first Dominion Card Lists were compiled, the skill level of all players raised and a lot of new knowledge is gained. Also it's the first time we know ALL the cards. That means it's time for the 2014 edition of the Dominion Card Lists.

What do you have to do?
If you like to contribute, go to http://www.qvist.de/dommesh
I'm not the best web designer to make it look nice, but it works. There you can order the cards either all at once in a big list or by comparing two cards at a time. If you do the latter, the app will tell you when you're done and no new "card duel" is available anymore. I didn't include a registration or anything like that for this simple app. You can just login by your Goko name and any password you like. The next time you login you just have to remember the password you've set on your first login. I expect that nobody will trick me by using a user name of anyone else. I will also still accept PMs if you still want to do that in the old fashioned way. If you send me a PM please be sure that you put each card in order and don't miss any. If you don't know an expansion very well you can choose to leave it out. But be sure that if you want to include a card of a specific expansion, you have ro rank all cards of the expansion. There are no restriction with Promo cards, so if you don't know Governor very well, you can leave it out.

Cards are only counted if they are kingdom cards, so no Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion, Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Curse, Prizes, Shelters, Ruins, Spoils, Madman, Mercenary or individual Knights are allowed. If you want to look up the card texts and also the last year's lists, just go to our wiki. http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com
If you submit your list, you also agree that I may give this to third party, like theory or rrenaud. If you don't agree send me a PM.

If you've submitted last year, I will not take your last submission into account.
But if you didn't save your last year's submission and you need it, feel free to PM me and I will send it to you.
Just arrange the cards for your ranking with the best card going first and the worst on the last position.

I included extra lists for Prizes, individual Knights and Ruins. These are optional, you don't have to rank them if you don't want.
You can also if you want rank all the kingdom cards in one big list, just like Wandering Winder did. This is also optional as this takes a lot of time.
If you want PM me, this list should be subdivided into several lists, containing:
22 $1-$2 cards, 34 $3 cards, 57 $4 cards, 66 $5 cards, 16 $6+ cards, 10 Potion cards = 205

Usual disclaimer: This list should cause discussion not hassle. Of course it's difficult to compare some of the cards because pretty much every card has some situations where it shines and situations where it doesn't. This isn't a scientific list, just a compiled list of the community's opinion of the best cards.

Card List:
Code: [Select]
22 $1-$2 cards
Cellar (Base)
Chapel (Base)
Moat (Base)
Courtyard (Intrigue)
Pawn (Intrigue)
Secret Chamber (Intrigue)
Embargo (Seaside)
Haven (Seaside)
Lighthouse (Seaside)
Native Village (Seaside)
Pearl Diver (Seaside)
Herbalist (Alchemy)
Hamlet (Cornucopia)
Crossroads (Hinterlands)
Duchess (Hinterlands)
Fool's Gold (Hinterlands)
Beggar (Dark Ages)
Poor House (Dark Ages)
Squire (Dark Ages)
Vagrant (Dark Ages)
Candlestick Maker (Guilds)
Stonemason (Guilds)

34 $3 cards
Chancellor (Base)
Village (Base)
Woodcutter (Base)
Workshop (Base)
Great Hall (Intrigue)
Masquerade (Intrigue)
Shanty Town (Intrigue)
Steward (Intrigue)
Swindler (Intrigue)
Wishing Well (Intrigue)
Ambassador (Seaside)
Fishing Village (Seaside)
Lookout (Seaside)
Smugglers (Seaside)
Warehouse (Seaside)
Loan (Prosperity)
Trade Route (Prosperity)
Watchtower (Prosperity)
Fortune Teller (Cornucopia)
Menagerie (Cornucopia)
Develop (Hinterlands)
Oasis (Hinterlands)
Oracle (Hinterlands)
Scheme (Hinterlands)
Tunnel (Hinterlands)
Forager (Dark Ages)
Hermit/Madman (Dark Ages)
Market Square (Dark Ages)
Sage (Dark Ages)
Storeroom (Dark Ages)
Urchin/Mercenary (Dark Ages)
Doctor (Guilds)
Masterpiece (Guilds)
Black Market (Promo)

57 $4 cards
Bureaucrat (Base)
Feast (Base)
Gardens (Base)
Militia (Base)
Moneylender (Base)
Remodel (Base)
Smithy (Base)
Spy (Base)
Thief (Base)
Throne Room (Base)
Baron (Intrigue)
Bridge (Intrigue)
Conspirator (Intrigue)
Coppersmith (Intrigue)
Ironworks (Intrigue)
Mining Village (Intrigue)
Scout (Intrigue)
Caravan (Seaside)
Cutpurse (Seaside)
Island (Seaside)
Navigator (Seaside)
Pirate Ship (Seaside)
Salvager (Seaside)
Sea Hag (Seaside)
Treasure Map (Seaside)
Bishop (Prosperity)
Monument (Prosperity)
Quarry (Prosperity)
Talisman (Prosperity)
Worker's Village (Prosperity)
Farming Village (Cornucopia)
Horse Traders (Cornucopia)
Remake (Cornucopia)
Tournament (Cornucopia)
Young Witch (Cornucopia)
Jack of all Trades (Hinterlands)
Noble Brigand (Hinterlands)
Nomad Camp (Hinterlands)
Silk Road (Hinterlands)
Spice Merchant (Hinterlands)
Trader (Hinterlands)
Armory (Dark Ages)
Death Cart (Dark Ages)
Feodum (Dark Ages)
Fortress (Dark Ages)
Ironmonger (Dark Ages)
Marauder (Dark Ages)
Procession (Dark Ages)
Rats (Dark Ages)
Scavenger (Dark Ages)
Wandering Minstrel (Dark Ages)
Advisor (Guilds)
Herald (Guilds)
Plaza (Guilds)
Taxman (Guilds)
Envoy (Promo)
Walled Village (Promo)

66 $5 cards
Council Room (Base)
Festival (Base)
Laboratory (Base)
Library (Base)
Market (Base)
Mine (Base)
Witch (Base)
Duke (Intrigue)
Minion (Intrigue)
Saboteur (Intrigue)
Torturer (Intrigue)
Trading Post (Intrigue)
Tribute (Intrigue)
Upgrade (Intrigue)
Bazaar (Seaside)
Explorer (Seaside)
Ghost Ship (Seaside)
Merchant Ship (Seaside)
Outpost (Seaside)
Tactician (Seaside)
Treasury (Seaside)
Wharf (Seaside)
Apprentice (Alchemy)
City (Prosperity)
Contraband (Prosperity)
Counting House (Prosperity)
Mint (Prosperity)
Mountebank (Prosperity)
Rabble (Prosperity)
Royal Seal (Prosperity)
Vault (Prosperity)
Venture (Prosperity)
Harvest (Cornucopia)
Horn of Plenty (Cornucopia)
Hunting Party (Cornucopia)
Jester (Cornucopia)
Cache (Hinterlands)
Cartographer (Hinterlands)
Embassy (Hinterlands)
Haggler (Hinterlands)
Highway (Hinterlands)
Ill-Gotten Gains (Hinterlands)
Inn (Hinterlands)
Mandarin (Hinterlands)
Margrave (Hinterlands)
Stables (Hinterlands)
Bandit Camp (Dark Ages)
Band of Misfits (Dark Ages)
Catacombs (Dark Ages)
Counterfeit (Dark Ages)
Count (Dark Ages)
Cultist (Dark Ages)
Graverobber (Dark Ages)
Junk Dealer (Dark Ages)
Knights (Dark Ages)
Mystic (Dark Ages)
Pillage (Dark Ages)
Rebuild (Dark Ages)
Rogue (Dark Ages)
Baker (Guilds)
Butcher (Guilds)
Journeyman (Guilds)
Merchant Guild (Guilds)
Soothsayer (Guilds)
Governor (Promo)
Stash (Promo)

16 $6+ cards
Adventurer (Base)
Harem (Intrigue)
Nobles (Intrigue)
Goons (Prosperity)
Grand Market (Prosperity)
Hoard (Prosperity)
Bank (Prosperity)
Expand (Prosperity)
Forge (Prosperity)
King's Court (Prosperity)
Peddler (Prosperity)
Fairgrounds (Cornucopia)
Border Village (Hinterlands)
Farmland (Hinterlands)
Altar (Dark Ages)
Hunting Grounds (Dark Ages)

10 Potion cards
Transmute (Alchemy)
Vineyard (Alchemy)
Apothecary (Alchemy)
Scrying Pool (Alchemy)
University (Alchemy)
Alchemist (Alchemy)
Familiar (Alchemy)
Philosopher's Stone (Alchemy)
Golem (Alchemy)
Possession (Alchemy)

What else?
Submission deadline is the 23th of February 11:59pm UTC.
Each card will get a percentage value based on the rank. So your best card gets 100% and your worst gets 0%. This will result in a compiled list of all of your lists.
When I post the results, I will also include the ususal statistic data. I will change a little bit on the comments to not let you wait that long until I post all the results.
If you encounter some bugs, just send me a PM and I'll fix them ASAP.

Let's see how many submissions we get this time. The more we get the better the rankings will be. I can't wait to get your submissions. If you have any questions, ask them here.

Results:

Ruins
$1-$2 cards
$3 cards
$4 cards
$5 cards
Knights
$6+ cards
Potion cost cards
Prizes
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:52:31 pm by Qvist »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2014 Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:13:36 am »
+1

What sorting algorithm do you use for the duels? I had a few come up that seemed inconsequential based on my earlier duels when I was sorting $6 cards.

Otherwise, so glad this got implemented for this round of sorting!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:30 am »

The number of cards in each category inside the code block wasn't updated after the Guilds cards were added to it. For example, there are 22 cards from 1-2 instead of 20. The OP specifies this though.

I'm really excited for this, as it will be my first time submitting a card list for the rankings.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:28 am »

Ambassador never showed up as I did the "All Kingdom cards" sort. All the other cards did.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:43:38 am »

What sorting algorithm do you use for the duels? I had a few come up that seemed inconsequential based on my earlier duels when I was sorting $6 cards.

Sorting mechanisms didn't quite work. Or at least not how I wanted it to work. I build a graph with all the relations. Therefore the algorithm shouldn't "ask you" something redundantly, that's basically impossible, but I'm not convinced that I use the fastest method.

The number of cards in each category inside the code block wasn't updated after the Guilds cards were added to it. For example, there are 22 cards from 1-2 instead of 20. The OP specifies this though.

Fixed.

Ambassador never showed up as I did the "All Kingdom cards" sort. All the other cards did.

Weird. Thanks for reporting. Let me have a look.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:10:34 pm »

Weird. Thanks for reporting. Let me have a look.

Bug should be fixed. Please try again.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »

Wishing Well didn't show up for me until the very end.  Was a little tedious sorting it at that point, but otherwise things seemed to go OK.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »

Sorting mechanisms didn't quite work. Or at least not how I wanted it to work. I build a graph with all the relations. Therefore the algorithm shouldn't "ask you" something redundantly, that's basically impossible, but I'm not convinced that I use the fastest method.

I don't know what you mean by this. You are sorting a list of cards based on comparisons of two cards -- this is exactly what a sorting algorithm does. It sounds like you created your own sorting algorithm. If it's inefficient, it will be fine for smaller lists, but a huge pain for the longer ones.

The Dominion Card Sorter that I wrote uses Python's default sorting mechanism, which I believe is a variant of quicksort. That code is open-source, so feel free to use it if you like. Others wanting to send in lists by PM can also use it if they know how to run Python scripts.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »

I think the "No new duels" message shows up too soon sometimes. There will be cards I haven't compared directly that would definitely need direct comparison to determine their ranking (i.e. the bottom two or three cards on the list). When the message shows up early (or it seems to be early), if I keep choosing cards in the comparison box the message will disappear after one or two selections.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:20:24 pm »
+1

it's really hard to rank stonemason - more so than any other of the overpay cards - because it's so board-dependent.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:32:35 pm »

The rerank feature is also broken in some way. After I completed the $2 list, I wanted to switch #19-20, so I clicked on #19 to rerank. It seemingly pairs #19 with a (seemingly) random card from the list, after I choose the winner, it tells me all the duels are completed again. It doesn't matter which card I choose to rerank, it offers me one comparison choice and then says all the duels are complete. Is the intended behavior that reranking a card will wipe all comparison info for that particular card? Because that isn't happening at the moment.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »

the other difficulty i'm having is comparing cards like beggar vs pawn.  pawn is more useful in an engine, where beggar is useful in slogs.  engines are usually best, but pawn isn't such a great engine card; contrariwise, when beggar shines it shines really bright, but those occasions are fairly rare. So I feel like I'm rating engines vs slogs rather than two cards.

I've never participated in these rankings before!  What do I do!?  AHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 01:39:23 pm »
+4

It would be nice if, when switching ranking mode, it would remember the rankings I gave it from the duels.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 02:02:23 pm »

I think the "No new duels" message shows up too soon sometimes. There will be cards I haven't compared directly that would definitely need direct comparison to determine their ranking (i.e. the bottom two or three cards on the list). When the message shows up early (or it seems to be early), if I keep choosing cards in the comparison box the message will disappear after one or two selections.

I don't think that is possible. I've tested it dozens of times. You don't have to compare each card directly so that a correct ranking is determined, that is the intention of any sorting algorithm.
Regarding the rerank feature, it only wipes all comparisms when you vote differently, if you vote in the same way again, there is no need for a wipe, so there is no new duel available.
I agree, it's not perfect yet. I agree. I'll fix it.

It would be nice if, when switching ranking mode, it would remember the rankings I gave it from the duels.

True. I missed that. I'll add this.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »
+1

Two years passed since the first Dominion Card Lists were compiled, the skill level of all players raised and a lot of new knowledge is gained. Also it's the first time we know ALL the cards. That means it's time for the 2014 edition of the Dominion Card Lists.

Sorry to nitpick, but this isn't technically true. We're liable to see at least a few more promos.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »

I don't think that is possible. I've tested it dozens of times. You don't have to compare each card directly so that a correct ranking is determined, that is the intention of any sorting algorithm.
Regarding the rerank feature, it only wipes all comparisms when you vote differently, if you vote in the same way again, there is no need for a wipe, so there is no new duel available.

I realize you don't have to compare each card directly, but you certainly have to compare the bottom two directly, which I why I specifically mentioned this in my post. I can keep running lists again, but I'm fairly certain I had not compared the bottom two in my list which would be a bug.

For the rerank thing, your method isn't very effective since the single new comparison is apparently random. If I want to tweak my ranking of card #20 and it randomly compares it to card #1 this is useless. The rerank should just reset the info for that particular card. Or you should make it more clear how the rerank feature is implemented.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 02:25:40 pm »
+1

Added. Should work now.

I realize you don't have to compare each card directly, but you certainly have to compare the bottom two directly, which I why I specifically mentioned this in my post. I can keep running lists again, but I'm fairly certain I had not compared the bottom two in my list which would be a bug.

For the rerank thing, your method isn't very effective since the single new comparison is apparently random. If I want to tweak my ranking of card #20 and it randomly compares it to card #1 this is useless. The rerank should just reset the info for that particular card. Or you should make it more clear how the rerank feature is implemented.

Well, you should now be able to swap the two cards if you switch modes. I'll fix the rerank feature at a later time. I totally agree with you that it's confusing currently. Sorry for any confusion.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 04:00:38 pm »

Added. Should work now.
awesomesauce.  (yes it's working.)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 04:48:05 pm »
+1

Would it be possible for you to add a Test list that just has numbers 1-25 or something? I really think there is a bug in your sorting algorithm, it is the same problem as before: I am seeing "no new duel" while doing the $3 dollar list, I think I've chosen Masquerade as the winner in every pairing so far and it is #9 in my list.

edit: is possible I am just screwing up what I click on. I tried a ranking of the $2s just based on alphabetic order and it worked correctly. It might be nice to include a feature to clear a list entirely.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:16:31 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »
+1

mh... is it possible to get a card "back" when you accidently clicked on "I don't know this card"?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 07:25:40 pm »

I'm excited for this. I am curious to see the results!

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 08:55:06 am »
+2

Would it be possible for you to add a Test list that just has numbers 1-25 or something? I really think there is a bug in your sorting algorithm, it is the same problem as before: I am seeing "no new duel" while doing the $3 dollar list, I think I've chosen Masquerade as the winner in every pairing so far and it is #9 in my list.

edit: is possible I am just screwing up what I click on. I tried a ranking of the $2s just based on alphabetic order and it worked correctly. It might be nice to include a feature to clear a list entirely.

I double-checked the algorithm. I can't find any errors, at least.
I now implemented a change to the rerank feature. You can either click on the card to get a random match-up/comparism or click on the red X to delete all votes of a card.

mh... is it possible to get a card "back" when you accidently clicked on "I don't know this card"?

This should be now possible. Just click on the red X beside the card in the section "Ignored cards".

I don't know what you mean by this. You are sorting a list of cards based on comparisons of two cards -- this is exactly what a sorting algorithm does. It sounds like you created your own sorting algorithm. If it's inefficient, it will be fine for smaller lists, but a huge pain for the longer ones.

The Dominion Card Sorter that I wrote uses Python's default sorting mechanism, which I believe is a variant of quicksort. That code is open-source, so feel free to use it if you like. Others wanting to send in lists by PM can also use it if they know how to run Python scripts.

I thought about this a little bit. But I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as a single sorting algorithm. A sorting algorithm has no state, you can't interrupt it and continue at a later time. The internet is state-less, so first you need a way to save the state of a sorting algorithm. Also I want to give the user some possibilities like select a card he likes to rank or remove a card from the list if he doesn't know it etc. Also someone can change his mind and "correct" a duel he has made earlier. How do you handle that? Unless I miss some easy way, there isn't just an easy way like a sorting algorithm.

I use the following approach: Every card is a vertex in a graph and each comparism/duel is an edge in a directed graph which gets saved in a database. For "sorting" I first try to merge all little graphs into a big one and then compare sister vertices until I have a graph where every vertix has at most one predecessor and one successor.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 09:59:03 am »

I thought about this a little bit. But I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as a single sorting algorithm. A sorting algorithm has no state, you can't interrupt it and continue at a later time. The internet is state-less, so first you need a way to save the state of a sorting algorithm. Also I want to give the user some possibilities like select a card he likes to rank or remove a card from the list if he doesn't know it etc. Also someone can change his mind and "correct" a duel he has made earlier. How do you handle that? Unless I miss some easy way, there isn't just an easy way like a sorting algorithm.

I use the following approach: Every card is a vertex in a graph and each comparism/duel is an edge in a directed graph which gets saved in a database. For "sorting" I first try to merge all little graphs into a big one and then compare sister vertices until I have a graph where every vertix has at most one predecessor and one successor.

Any method of sorting is a "sorting algorithm". I'm not sure what you mean about sorting algorithms not having state. It sounds like you're using a variation of merge sort where the items are stored in a graph. You could probably just store them in sorted sublists with the same effect. But, it sounds like what you're doing should be pretty efficient, since merge sort has good performance.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:31 am »

This should be now possible. Just click on the red X beside the card in the section "Ignored cards".

yap. thanks

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:31 am »

Will you be counting partially completed lists? (Like if someone ranked the $2s but not the other costs). I logged on and ranked a couple lists just to see how the thing works and give my opinions, but since I am not really familiar with Guilds, and also haven't played a lot of Dominion since Iso went away, it's probably best if you just ignore my submissions.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.